User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2024 10:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF]
Alright, we’re not deleting I guess.

Summarization of the previous OP.

Looking to start a tracker for gas port sizes that’ll hopefully help people when searching for a barrel to suit their needs.  I’ll eventually make this publicly accessible and figure out a good way to make it searchable using a wide variety of parameters.

I’m only looking for first hand info.  You’d need to ensure you’re using the correct tools to collect your measurement (pin gauges) and not something like calipers, which can’t accurately gauge a gas port.  Manufacturer advertised port sizes would work too, but it would have to be documented (posted on their website, in an email, etc).

Info needed would look something like this:

Manufacturer:
Model (If applicable):
Cartridge:
Barrel length:
Gas system length:
Gas port size:
Manufacture year/date (either date code on barrel or approximate from your memory):
Other variables that you’d deem relevant (complete gun vs component, etc):
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If one could only trust others' methods...

CURRENT DOC
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:42:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

CURRENT DOC
View Quote

Dangit, I tried I don’t know how many different search cues and couldn’t find shit through here or Google.

There a thread dedicated to this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not so sure I'd abandon the idea here.

I just do not place much faith in the abilities of others when it comes down to accurate measurements.

Pin gauges is the only method that I'd accept, no dial caliper guesstimates or 3rd party info.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:17:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#4]
I'm not so sure I'd abandon the idea here.

I just do not place much faith in the abilities of others when it comes down to accurate measurements.

Pin gauges is the only method that I'd accept, no dial caliper guesstimates or 3rd party info.
View Quote

Got it, OP is back up.  Thought that was a tracker someone on here was managing with a running thread.

Since it’s not, I’m back onboard.  Guess we’ll see if this can get any traction.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:43:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#5]
IIRC,  originally posted on M4C, here, and then Reddit.

I could be wrong though.  The thought does have merit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:52:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#6]
IIRC,  originally posted on M4C, here, and then Reddit.

I could be wrong though.  The thought does have merit.
View Quote

It really popped into my head when searching for a good gas port size for a .300BLK barrel I’m gonna have chopped and realized I didn’t have much knowledge on port sizes outside of the 5.56 realm.

I also thought about all the comments we see about manufacturers changing gas port sizing at different times for a variety of reasons and thought it would be an interesting metric to track if I could get enough data.

Guess we’ll see.  I’m going to guess most people don’t have a pin gauge set, so this may end up dead in the water.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have nothing to offer, but I'd like to request the port size on the noveske 11.5 midlength.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#8]
i input the numbers in the google doc

howerver for a short reverence, here is a short list of just some of the ones i have put in there that i have measured with pin guages. I have done multiple of the same size and if they are different i will post them.

13.9 length (all midlength)
Centurion LW HF = 0.074"
Criterion Core = 0.078"
BRT HF Optimum = 0.075"
Triarc = 0.074"
DD government (14.5 cut down) = 0.076"

14.5 length (all midlength)
Centurion Midweight HF = 0.074"
Centurion Midweight HF = 0.075"
Centurion LW HF = 0.074"
DD LW = 0.076"
DD Government = 0.076"
DD Government (16" cut down) = 0.073"
Geissele = 0.076"
Spikes HF Optimum = 0.076"
Criterion Core = 0.075"
BRT HF optimum = 0.076"
Hodge = 0.074"
Hodge = 0.075"
Hodge = 0.076"
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The creator is here on the forums. His site is down but his docs are still in Google. I’m not sure if he changed direction but i know at one point he was only adding manufacturer provided info.

Black Rifle Haven List
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]

CURRENT DOC
View Quote

Was going to point to this sheet
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top