Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2023 10:43:28 PM EDT
My 105" SBR gets the most use of all my rifles but lately I've been running my 18" WOA barreled SPR more off hand than I have in the past. I've been on the fence whether to add a light to it or not. Anybody run lights on their SPR?  If so, what do you like?  

The light probably won't get a lot of use but, as I mentioned already, I'm kinda wanting to do it. I feel like all rifles should have one however, not all of mine do. Then again some are just range toys so i don't see the need on those. Mostly just my work horses.  I do consider my SPR a go to rifle, just not my first choice. (I think I just answered my own question with that statement)

Let me have it fellas....  What does the hive have to say about it?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#1]
I like lights on all of my long guns. I even have a little 18350 Arisaka with a Malkoff E1HT on my S&W 15-22.

I went with Cloud Defensive REIN 3.0's on my 16" GPR and 18" SPR due to its ridiculous throw.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't stand not having a dedicated light on every rifle.

If money is not an issue, Modlite and Cloud Defensive are your guys for reach.

I recently put an AR10 together and didn't really want to spend Modlite money on a light. I picked up one of the new 50k candela Streamlight HLX Pros. Throw is amazing at its price point. The jack-cap is a huge upgrade from the HLX. Also includes an Arisaka-esque mlok mount. Here is mine mounted on my M5. It's currently tore apart on my bench waiting on a 13.9" Faxon barrel.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By twpayne75:
I can't stand not having a dedicated light on every rifle.

If money is not an issue, Modlite and Cloud Defensive are your guys for reach.

I recently put an AR10 together and didn't really want to spend Modlite money on a light. I picked up one of the new 50k candela Streamlight HLX Pros. Throw is amazing at its price point. The jack-cap is a huge upgrade from the HLX. Also includes an Arisaka-esque mlok mount. Here is mine mounted on my M5. It's currently tore apart on my bench waiting on a 13.9" Faxon barrel.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/d155/twpayne75/1000008603.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/d155/twpayne75/1000008603.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
View Quote

Nice.  I’ve got one rifle that needs a light. All my other rifles have surefire 300’s and 600’s.  I’m looking hard at the hlx pro for this one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NewCo32] [#4]
Thanks for the input fellas.  

What are the thoughts on recharging batteries?  I see a lot using them now.

I haven't bought a light in quite a while.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I use rechargeables (18650) in everything. I swap out the weaponlights which aren't used much with batteries from the handhelds which are used all the time so they stay fresh.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the HLX protac similar to above and it does the job, but regret not going with the okw, if you plan seeing better at distance there is no other choice than the okw.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:35:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#7]
The best choice is the Surefirec M340DFT Mini Turbo using the picatinny swivel mount. Roll it up to be almost on top of the picatinny rail at 11:45 o'clock.

Lightweight, 100k candela, invisible through your scope if you don't mount it too far forward and have +3x minimum magnification

Rechargeable batteries are desired. This uses 18350 cells. I use the Modlite 18350 if not using the Surefire provided 18350.

For your application, no other light will win if you compare weight, size, throw, and being mounted as slim and low profile. This light wins every category or loses in only one category while winning all others. If you run a big IR laser at 12 o'clock, you will lose the super slim 11:45 top mount capability.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you DevL!!  I"m going to look into that one!  

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you Titom!  I'm going to look into that as well!

Thanks everyone for the input so far.  This is good stuff!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
For it's size the 340's a great light. It might not have as much throw as a full size light, but it's pretty damn good. That's what I run on my main gun. I prefer my rein, but it's big on a SBR. The 340's a great compromise if size is a concern. It's not as great at distance, but it makes up for it in other ways and it's certainly capable at distance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JJL0325:
I like lights on all of my long guns. I even have a little 18350 Arisaka with a Malkoff E1HT on my S&W 15-22.

I went with Cloud Defensive REIN 3.0's on my 16" GPR and 18" SPR due to its ridiculous throw.

https://i.imgur.com/5iF0vHr.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/5iF0vHr.jpg
View Quote

I saw that gpr on YouTube
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DevL:
The best choice is the Surefirec M340DFT Mini Turbo using the picatinny swivel mount. Roll it up to be almost on top of the picatinny rail at 11:45 o'clock.

Lightweight, 100k candela, invisible through your scope if you don't mount it too far forward and have +3x minimum magnification

Rechargeable batteries are desired. This uses 18350 cells. I use the Modlite 18350 if not using the Surefire provided 18350.

For your application, no other light will win if you compare weight, size, throw, and being mounted as slim and low profile. This light wins every category or loses in only one category while winning all others. If you run a big IR laser at 12 o'clock, you will lose the super slim 11:45 top mount capability.
View Quote

Why not the m640dft on a spr?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Weight on a rifle that might already have fullsize optic, suppressor, bipod, laser, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#14]
Originally Posted By Hidesite:
Weight on a rifle that might already have fullsize optic, suppressor, bipod, laser, etc.
View Quote

Not sure if you are replying to me or not. Below are some specs on the 340dft vs the 640dft.   Personally on a sbr or compact rifle where rail space is hard to come by the 340dft would be the ticket between the two. On a spr type rifle or from a block ii and larger where you have the rail space for the extra 1.1”.. I’d absolutely take the 2hrs longer runtime, longer throw, higher lumens and more candela at the cost of 1.1” in length and 0.39oz.

The m340dft is 5.11oz and the m640dft is 5.5oz. That’s a 0.39oz difference.

Run time is 45mins on the m340dft and 2hr45min on the m640dft

Length is 4.8” on the m340dft vs 5.9” on the m640dft

Candela is 95k on the m340dft vs 100k on the m640dft.

Lumens are 650 on the m340dft vs 700 on the m640dft

Distance is 616m on the m340dft vs 632m on the m640dft.

Here are the light specs for those wondering.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:15:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#15]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

View Quote

Because it gives NOTHING added but run time at the cost of weight on an already heavy rifle. No added range.

The specs say there is a difference.  In reality there is not. The specs are just marketing. The ranges alone are WAY over estimated and useless.

Weight of 18650 3500mah Keeppower protected cell = 49g

Weight of 18350 1200mah Keeppower protected cell = 26g

That is 23 grams of just battery. Or it is 0.81 oz difference before the flashlight body.

Add the 0.39oz from the above post for the body and you get 1.2 oz of weight added to your rifle at the front of your rifle, cantilevered even further out front with the extra inch of body length and same mounting position.

While there is no difference in output while fresh... there will be eventually as the smaller battery looses voltage faster. It takes 4x the output to increase range 2x. An eventual 5% difference in output will be a couple of yards in throw.

My final reason is that I have found big weights hanging off a precision rifle rail to negatively effect repeatability and precision. Especially if the mount gets even slightly loose over time. So I want the least weight possible on the rail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Because it gives NOTHING added but run time at the cost of weight on an already heavy rifle. No added range.

The specs say there is a difference.  In reality there is not. The specs are just marketing. The ranges alone are WAY over estimated and useless.

That is 23 grams of just battery. Or it is 0.81 oz difference before the flashlight body.

Add the 0.39oz from the above post for the body and you get 1.2 oz of weight added to your rifle at the front of your rifle, cantilevered even further out front with the extra inch of body length and same mounting position.

While there is no difference in output while fresh... there will be eventually as the smaller battery looses voltage faster. It takes 4x the output to increase range 2x. An eventual 5% difference in output will be a couple of yards in throw.

My final reason is that I have found big weights hanging off a precision rifle rail to negatively effect repeatability and precision. Especially if the mount gets even slightly loose over time. So I want the least weight possible on the rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Yea I get it if weight is your major concern or rail space is tight then the 340 is the go to.

1.2oz isn’t what I would consider a huge difference.  An increase of 2hrs in run time is a huge difference imho.

Everyone’s uses are different and with my uses/role for an spr the 45min run time of the 340 is a non starter. I’m all for saving weight but an extra 1.2oz on a quality ff rail isn’t going to matter.  I need the 266% increase in run time more than I need to save 1.2oz.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I totally get it fellas. I'm already running a Larue rail, can, heavy scope, forward grip and bipod.  ounces = pounds and so forth. But I also have a sling.

My biggest concern is throw.  So a few extra ounces will be worth it.

I had intended on having the light by now but my truck is down so I'm focusing on that. I like the options you guys have given thus far.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:44:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#18]
1.3 oz is an enormous difference in weight for a wepon light. The difference in some of the heaviest and lightest weapon light options is only about 3oz.

As stated, there is NO improvement in throw using an 18650, so that is not a reason to use an 18650 over an 18350. Actual testing of the light has shown 100,000 candela from the 18350 on a fresh battery.

If the battery run time of an 18350 is a non starter for you, I would pose I am 99% sure you are using improper weaponlight techniques, especially if we are talking about 50% or more clearing structures.  An 18350 will allow for enough run time to get through any single call out if your technique is good. Then just swap batteries at the end of the mission. This is not a handheld utility light you need to last an entire night shift of traffic stops.

I would also suggest that the use of a full SPR profile barrel and picatinny rail itself shows a lack of discipline in weight mitigation. 1.2 ounces isn't much difference if your rifle is 8+ pounds before optic, light, or silencer. My precision AR weighs just 6 pounds before accessories and gives up nothing in precision to a more traditional build because I was ruthless about weight mitigation while maintaining full capability. You can start having a weight discipline mentality for your gear at any time. This light decision could be your start.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#19]
1.3 oz is an enormous difference in weight for a wepon light. The difference in some of the heaviest and lightest weapon light options is only about 3oz.

As stated, there is NO improvement in throw using an 18650, so that is not a reason to use an 18650 over an 18350. Actual testing of the light has shown 100,000 candela from the 18350 on a fresh battery.

If the battery run time of an 18350 is a non starter for you, I would pose I am 99% sure you are using improper weaponlight techniques, especially if we are talking about 50% or more clearing structures.  An 18350 will allow for enough run time to get through any single call out if your technique is good. Then just swap batteries at the end of the mission. This is not a handheld utility light you need to last an entire night shift of traffic stops.

I would also suggest that the use of a full SPR profile barrel and picatinny rail itself shows a lack of discipline in weight mitigation. 1.2 ounces isn't much difference if your rifle is 8+ pounds before optic, light, or silencer. My precision AR weighs just 6 pounds before accessories and gives up nothing in precision to a more traditional build because I was ruthless about weight mitigation while maintaining full capability. You can start having a weight discipline mentality for your gear at any time. This light decision could be your start.

View Quote

Meh.. I don’t run calls, or live in an apartment or subdivison where all I’m concerned about is HD in a small area.

I live rural and use wml’s for predator control, tracking deer etc. HD is also way different out here. I’ll also go with friends to very remote areas for days at a time where the wml is used frequently.  45 mins of run time is just not ideal for what I use a wml for.

As far as the spr is concerned… I’ve got one lightweight pencil barrel rifle that my wife and kids enjoy… but if shtf or if I’m heading out to shoot steel I’m grabbing the mk12 or block ii.  Again, rural area where you can shoot as far as you see… I’d much rather have a spr profile or socom profile barrel shooting with a can and engaging targets at distances out to 8-900yds. A light pencil rifle is not ideal for me in my area as a do it all type rifle.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top