Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2024 4:06:22 PM EDT
I saw this rifle on GB, and the way the serial number looks caught my eye.  It looks a little large and double stamped. Some of the other rollmark looks pretty faint in areas.
 I know Colt has all kinds if weird things with markings and mis markings. There are other issues with this rifle, delta ring, type D stock, bcg butchered, barrel marked S MP C.  Any input or ideas?

Link to auction, Not mine
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
So my bet is a replacement lower. The gun itself is a hodge podge of parts so everything is not original to that gun.

The rollmarks look good to me so the only curious aspects would be the numbers. They looked hand stamped so would think it maybe the OG serial was scrapped for some reason and a new one made and shipped out.

Just my thoughts
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
In for the SME's
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Could it be a basement creation/clone?

I am not convinced the lower is from Colt. See the lack of milling where the selector stops would have been?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This one is a tough nut to crack
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The two nubs that hold the slide release in are all over the place too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s a soup sandwich for sure.

I’d like to see inside. It almost looks like a painted reweld or something. Check out the ears for the bolt stop.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
You SMEs are amazing. So informative.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is the auction

It’s got a lot Not going for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Bolt release doesn't look right either.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Virtually nothing on this rifle looks right. Looks like a Khyber Pass SP1.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wespe] [#12]
Shell deflector, forward assist, A2 grip, furniture that doesn’t match condition of the rifle or isn’t correct for the time period.  Yeah, total soup sandwich there,

Edit to add barrel looks refinished, bolt carrier looks like an M16 carrier that was modified by an amateur.  The more I look at the pics the worse it gets.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
That BCG is a shit show…  Colt generally either cut the whole bottom off (half-moon style) or machined the SP1 bolts with a shorter tail.  Looks like someone with ADHD took an angle grinder to that.

The serial number doesn’t bother me… why fake a serial number to the mid-70’s?  It’s not like that’s particularly desirable compared to any other years.  Plus the Colt roll mark looks nice… You’re telling me you can lay down an actual pressed Colt roll mark and then you’re gonna flub the serial number? That doesn’t make sense either.

The no bolt stop pads is weird.  I’m thinking it’s either a reweld and/or been refinished with overzealous buffing/blasting.

The rest of the parts and barrel look clapped out AF, too.

I have a ~1976 serial number all original minty SP1 (my late uncle was the original owner) and that rifle looks like shit compared to mine.  Let me know if you want any particular detailed comparison pics of mine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Frankenstein AR for sure…
But while weird the SN seems legit… Colt is knows for weird stuff… maybe the SN tooling was broken that day and they had to add it manually.

I’d call Colt and ask if the SN belongs to an actual SP1
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The barrel is a refinished piece of shit.  It’s had a squib or obstruction and is rung.  It’s some jagoff’s junk parts project fo sure, lol!
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:21:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#16]
What I’m seeing:
The barrel has been refinished as evidenced by the markings being slightly obliterated.

Most of the markings on the lower are rollmarked. You can see the deformation of aluminum at the edges of the marks and there is a characteristic faint/incomplete roll mark over the fcg. The exceptions are the serial number and safe marking.

The serial number looks overstamped, the font is incorrect and too large, and the receiver looks to have been spot refinished in the area of the serial number. The safe marking looks engraved, but aggressive abrasive blasting during refinish could have removed some of the aluminum displaced during rollmarking.

The forging contours and milling look correct, with exception of the typical evidence of milled down selector stop. Again, aggressive abrasive blasting during refinish could have removed these if they were faint.

The support bosses for the bolt catch, aka “ears”…the anterior one had a portion fracture off.

The bolt group is a fullauto that had the tail ground off at an angle. It is not factory correct for a SP1 or Sporter II.

The upper is incorrect for a 1975 rifle, as it’s a C7 and would have been found on a Sporter II.

Looking critically at the lower, I think it’s a factory Colt lower that has been refinished and painted in Norrells colt gray Molycoat. The texture and sheen don’t match the anodizing of the upper. I bet the bolt catch ear was broken at the time of reassembly after refinish. And refinish would explain some of the marking discrepancies. I bet the serial number was faintly struck at the factory and was blasted mostly off during refinish, then hand stamped to reapply it.

And the lower was mated to a not period correct hodgepodge of Colt parts in the upper.

Personally, I’d run far away.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
What I’m seeing:
The barrel has been refinished as evidenced by the markings being slightly obliterated.

Most of the markings on the lower are rollmarked. You can see the deformation of aluminum at the edges of the marks and there is a characteristic faint/incomplete roll mark over the fcg. The exceptions are the serial number and safe marking.

The serial number looks overstamped, the font is incorrect and too large, and the receiver looks to have been spot refinished in the area of the serial number. The safe marking looks engraved, but aggressive abrasive blasting during refinish could have removed some of the aluminum displaced during rollmarking.

The forging contours and milling look correct, with exception of the typical evidence of milled down selector stop. Again, aggressive abrasive blasting during refinish could have removed these if they were faint.

The support bosses for the bolt catch, aka “ears”…the anterior one had a portion fracture off.

The bolt group is a fullauto that had the tail ground off at an angle. It is not factory correct for a SP1 or Sporter II.

The upper is incorrect for a 1975 rifle, as it’s a C7 and would have been found on a Sporter II.

Looking critically at the lower, I think it’s a factory Colt lower that has been refinished and painted in Norrells colt gray Molycoat. The texture and sheen don’t match the anodizing of the upper. I bet the bolt catch ear was broken at the time of reassembly after refinish. And refinish would explain some of the marking discrepancies. I bet the serial number was faintly struck at the factory and was blasted mostly off during refinish, then hand stamped to reapply it.

And the lower was mated to a not period correct hodgepodge of Colt parts in the upper.

Personally, I’d run far away.

View Quote

Thank you.  I'm surprised it's over 900.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#18]
$900 with a week left? That's crazy.

The ONLY decent parts on that thing are the C7 Upper, the grip, and maybe the LPK and maybe the receiver extension.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Price doesn’t surprise me, it’ll probably fetch $1,500+. Most people don’t know what they’re looking at. Carry handle + triangle HGs + Colt lower = ViAtNaM.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MrM1A1:
Price doesn’t surprise me, it’ll probably fetch $1,500+. Most people don’t know what they’re looking at. Carry handle + triangle HGs + Colt lower = ViAtNaM.
View Quote

Spot on.

I wonder about the S MP C barrel. Could that be one of the "S" marked SP1 barrels from the MPC barrel era? I know we've seen an S marked CMPC barrel.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

Spot on.

I wonder about the S MP C barrel. Could that be one of the "S" marked SP1 barrels from the MPC barrel era? I know we've seen an S marked CMPC barrel.

View Quote

SAKO replacement m16 barrel
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:14:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#22]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
That BCG is a shit show…  Colt generally either cut the whole bottom off (half-moon style) or machined the SP1 bolts with a shorter tail.  Looks like someone with ADHD took an angle grinder to that.

The serial number doesn’t bother me… why fake a serial number to the mid-70’s?  It’s not like that’s particularly desirable compared to any other years.  Plus the Colt roll mark looks nice… You’re telling me you can lay down an actual pressed Colt roll mark and then you’re gonna flub the serial number? That doesn’t make sense either.

The no bolt stop pads is weird.  I’m thinking it’s either a reweld and/or been refinished with overzealous buffing/blasting.

The rest of the parts and barrel look clapped out AF, too.

I have a ~1976 serial number all original minty SP1 (my late uncle was the original owner) and that rifle looks like shit compared to mine.  Let me know if you want any particular detailed comparison pics of mine.
View Quote

Any preban serial number/lower is worth lots of money in a pathetic ban state where legal, so there’s an incentive to manufacture counterfeits for a fraction of the market price. It’s bad enough we already have neckbeards running around buying retro Colts just to dismantle them, then flip individual pieces/lowers to ban states, and now this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:47:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#23]
Originally Posted By Apec:
Any preban serial number/lower is worth lots of money in a pathetic ban state where legal, so there's an incentive to manufacture counterfeits for a fraction of the market price. It's bad enough we already have neckbeards running around buying retro Colts just to dismantle them, then flip individual pieces/lowers to ban states, and now this.
View Quote
Isn't there only 1 state left where that still matters? I think the rest of them already had deadlines where it had to be in the state and/or registered.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#24]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Isn't there only 1 state left where that still matters? I think the rest of them already had deadlines where it had to be in the state and/or registered.
View Quote

While that's true, it's still easy money for someone who has the skills to make convincing markings and color/finish. For the cost of a $70-100 80% lower and whatever they value their time/materials/labor, it's an easy $1000 as long as there is a state where that's legal.

Plus they could also opt to make counterfeit complete rifles to take advantage of the retro craze, given how many parted out SP1/Sporter uppers are floating around at relatively affordable prices. So pretty easy to cobble together a gun with real Colt parts and a fake lower, and they'd still double their money.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I am pretty sure that that original roll marked serial number is still partly noticeable. Study the first pic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HHollow:
I am pretty sure that that original roll marked serial number is still partly noticeable. Study the first pic.
View Quote

Definitely.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Apec:

Any preban serial number/lower is worth lots of money in a pathetic ban state where legal, so there’s an incentive to manufacture counterfeits for a fraction of the market price. It’s bad enough we already have neckbeards running around buying retro Colts just to dismantle them, then flip individual pieces/lowers to ban states, and now this.
View Quote

I don’t believe this is a counterfeit. I believe it appears to be a legit SP1 lower that was likely faintly rollmarked in the serial number and SAFE, was refinished and the media blasting removed some markings which were reapplied, and the lower was refinished. The bolt catch support boss was likely broken when the lower was reassembled after refinish.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
I believe it appears to be a legit SP1 lower that was likely faintly rollmarked in the serial number and SAFE, was refinished and the media blasting removed some markings which were reapplied, and the lower was refinished. The bolt catch support boss was likely broken when the lower was reassembled after refinish.
View Quote
Or it could've had a serial number that was reported stolen so somebody might've changed it. Too many unknowns for me to bid on something like that, personally.

Also see 26 USC 5861(h)
to receive or possess a firearm having the serial number or other identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered
(Usually there's a state law prohibiting this too.)
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Or it could've had a serial number that was reported stolen so somebody might've changed it. Too many unknowns for me to bid on something like that, personally.

Also see 26 USC 5861(h)
to receive or possess a firearm having the serial number or other identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered
(Usually there's a state law prohibiting this too.)
View Quote

I completely agree.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't pay $500.00 for that atrocity....
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Almost $1600 with 30hrs to go...

I didn't even pay that much for this all original 1976 less than 3 years ago with it's colt baseplate mags and silent sling and box.  Real minty - light use.  I detail stripped it and cleaned it and put it back together and it's in the back of the safe.  Haven't fired it myself and one of my sons will probably get it someday in the same condition.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#32]
So…whatever happened to this one?  I never checked up on it, lol!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Dakota_Don:
So…whatever happened to this one?  I never checked up on it, lol!
View Quote

final price was $clicktheauctionlinkyourselfandquitbeinglazy
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

final price was $clicktheauctionlinkyourselfandquitbeinglazy
View Quote

Nope
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top