Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2024 7:39:47 PM EDT
Right now I'm using the clicky tail cap on both my Modlite and Surefire lights. Activating the cap requires me to change the position of my thumb(I wrap it over the top of the rail) and my set-up isn't ambi(wife is RH, I'm LH) in case someone else need to use it. Im thinking of switching to the UE tail cap with a Modbutton.

How reliable would the UE/Modbutton combo be? The connection doesn't appear to be waterproof like the clicky cap and it looks like it adds another point of failure.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The UE is actually pretty spotty, usually due to anodizing or cerakote getting on the threads which causes grounding issues. But I do believe that it also has socket issues.

I'd go with a DS00 tailcap. Not only is it more reliable, but it adds a pushbutton backup
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Unity axon and gas cap get my vote
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I had remote switches in the past but fragility and reliability caused me to revert to click tail caps/

I even use the button on LAMs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
just mount the light at 12 o' clock larry vickers style
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shackleford_R:
just mount the light at 12 o' clock larry vickers style
View Quote

I'd have to ditch the BUIS to do that. I think I'll just stick with where I have it and leave the clicky cap on, with a little more time I'll be used to where it's at.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Really like running a clicky cap at around 10:30. It falls right under my thumb and is all natural.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Ironically, my gascap has failed, and the Axon was functioning fine plugged into it, so the remote became the only working/reliable aspect, lol!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:17:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Teller_Ulam] [#8]
I prefer to run a click tailcap and avoid remote switches unless I absolutely have to. Like with a peq15 where I cannot reach the tail cap of the light. I have found the DS and the mod switches to be reliable.  I have had a tape switch that came from Steiner fail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:33:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#9]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
Really like running a clicky cap at around 10:30. It falls right under my thumb and is all natural.
View Quote

This is my go to…

I used to have a SureFire pressure switch, but it would be warrantied swapped, at the most, every three years. First ran on my Tavor and now my Colt 6920. Either it would stay on and pushing it would shut off or stop working all together. Surefire was great, but didn’t want it not working when I needed it to. Standard tail caps for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Screwball:

This is my go to…

I used to have a SureFire pressure switch, but it would be warrantied swapped, at the most, every three years. First ran on my Tavor and now my Colt 6920. Either it would stay on and pushing it would shut off or stop working all together. Surefire was great, but didn’t want it not working when I needed it to. Standard tail caps for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is my go to…

More of this. I'm sure there are situations where a remote switch makes more sense, but for my needs. A clicky tail cap works great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]

This is my go to…

View All Quotes

This is my go to…

Agreed. If you’re only running a single light, a clicky cap is the way to go. Having to slightly change the position of your thumb can be a positive in order to avoid an accidental discharge of the light.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By :JohnDough

Ironically, my gascap has failed, and the Axon was functioning fine plugged into it, so the remote became the only working/reliable aspect, lol!
View Quote

@JohnDough

Can you elaborate on the gascap failure?

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MagnusActual:

@JohnDough

View Quote

The axon button functioned 100% as intended.
The gas cap worked sometimes, other times would produce no response, a flash/blink, or a dully glowing led die that would blink dimly as though a connection were loose. Upon removing the axon, the gas cap alone continued to do this. I determined thus that the axon is fine. Replacing the gascap with a surefire clicky also resulted in zero issue. Unity has sent a return label.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#14]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

The gas cap worked sometimes, other times would produce no response, a flash/blink, or a dully glowing led die that would blink dimly as though a connection were loose. Upon removing the axon, the gas cap alone continued to do this. I determined thus that the axon is fine. Replacing the gascap with a surefire clicky also resulted in zero issue. Unity has sent a return label.
View All Quotes

@JohnDough

Interesting. I received a couple to test out. Failure under normal usage doesn't inspire confidence for sure.

Thanks for the update.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Interesting. I received a couple to test out. Failure under normal usage doesn't inspire confidence for sure.

Thanks for the update.

View Quote

I didn't even use it normally. I was just dicking around with it in the livingroom prior to installing the light on the weapon. Maybe 50 clicks in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]

I didn't even use it normally. I was just dicking around with it in the livingroom prior to installing the light on the weapon. Maybe 50 clicks in.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully yours is the exception. Unity makes good stuff but duds can get by every now an again.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Hopefully yours is the exception. Unity makes good stuff but duds can get by every now an again.

View Quote

Yep.  The only issues I've had with unity have been related to SF style plugs.  Obviously they're new to making gascaps, but I guess its promising that the USB-C connection worked even though the button on the gascap didn't.

I have a handful of gascaps now and I have yet to have any issues, if that helps.  That being said, I use them with the axon and consider the button on it a backup.  I'll give mine some reps and see if any have issues.

Good news is, if there are issues with ANY switch, they tend to reveal themselves quickly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

Yep.  The only issues I've had with unity have been related to SF style plugs.  Obviously they're new to making gascaps, but I guess its promising that the USB-C connection worked even though the button on the gascap didn't.

I have a handful of gascaps now and I have yet to have any issues, if that helps.  That being said, I use them with the axon and consider the button on it a backup.  I'll give mine some reps and see if any have issues.

Good news is, if there are issues with ANY switch, they tend to reveal themselves quickly.
View Quote

Yup. I've never had a mid bell-curve failure on a switch. Not to say it can't happen.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#19]
My replacement Unity Tactical Gas Cap has arrived (the one I bought, not the one Unity sent, etc.). It has the same failure mode. I tested the Surefire clicky cap and had zero failures. This is solely the tailcap. I am discontinuing the use of the Unity product due to poor reliability and what I view as a design flaw leading to failure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:32:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#20]
My replacement Unity Tactical Gas Cap has arrived (the one I bought, not the one Unity sent, etc.). It has the same failure mode. I tested the Surefire clicky cap and had zero failures. This is solely the tailcap. I am discontinuing the use of the Unity product due to poor reliability and what I view as a design flaw leading to failure.
View Quote

That sucks. What is and when exactly is it failing? Just manipulating the push button?

Have your reached out to Unity direct about the failure? I know you got a return, but did you talk to them about the actual failure and if so, what was their response?

I've been testing mine. Sample size of 3.  Manipulating the button dozens of times, removing and replacing the plug, twisting on and off, different batteries, different bodies and whatnot, no issues so far.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#21]

That sucks. What is and when exactly is it failing? Just manipulating the push button?

Have your reached out to Unity direct about the failure? I know you got a return, but did you talk to them about the actual failure and if so, what was their response?

I've been testing mine. Sample size of 3.  Manipulating the button dozens of times, removing and replacing the plug, twisting on and off, different batteries, different bodies and whatnot, no issues so far.

View Quote

I reached out to them. They were polite, helpful, and found it odd and wanted it back to see what went wrong. Unity has handled it very well, I just do not think this product is for me, though. Two identical failures when my Surefire cap is fine. I'll post a video of what's going on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn.  Yeah I’ve gone through mine and cannot replicate what you’re seeing.  But if you can get a video up that would help.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Damn.  Yeah I’ve gone through mine and cannot replicate what you’re seeing.  But if you can get a video up that would help.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top