Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2023 2:36:08 PM EDT
Looking to purchase a complete lower and a complete pistol upper. When purchasing the complete lower does it have to be designated as a pistol lower on the website or can I just purchase any complete lower and be fine if I plan to attach a complete pistol upper to it? Hope that makes sense? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 2:44:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jmo371] [#1]
A lower transfers as an other, the marking pistol on some receivers means about as much as "government use only," or "m4 carbine"...what you do with it is your business, and your responsibility to follow local laws etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jmo371:
A lower transfers as an other, the marking pistol on some receivers means about as much as "government use only," or "m4 carbine"...what you do with it is your business, and your responsibility to follow local laws etc.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By deltondude:
Looking to purchase a complete lower and a complete pistol upper. When purchasing the complete lower does it have to be designated as a pistol lower on the website or can I just purchase any complete lower and be fine if I plan to attach a complete pistol upper to it? Hope that makes sense? Thanks.
View Quote

Just be sure to remove the stock, if it has a stock, prior to pinning the short barreled upper.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 4:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d recommend buying a STRIPPED lower to avoid the FFL transferring it as a “rifle”. Assembly is easy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
Never attach it to a rifle upper or put a rifle stock on it. The moment you do either of those things, under the law, the lower becomes a "Rifle" lower and can never be used on an AR pistol again, legally. I'm 100% certain about the rifle upper but only about 75% certain about the rifle stock.
View Quote

That is not correct.  If you build a pistol FIRST you can convert to a rifle and back to a pistol.  If you make a rifle FIRST it must always remain a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
I’d recommend buying a STRIPPED lower to avoid the FFL transferring it as a “rifle”. Assembly is easy.
View Quote

Assembled lowers are still an other.

Shit PSA sends a little card in the box reminding ffls of this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

That is not correct.  If you build a pistol FIRST you can convert to a rifle and back to a pistol.  If you make a rifle FIRST it must always remain a rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Never attach it to a rifle upper or put a rifle stock on it. The moment you do either of those things, under the law, the lower becomes a "Rifle" lower and can never be used on an AR pistol again, legally. I'm 100% certain about the rifle upper but only about 75% certain about the rifle stock.

THIS is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Well you are 100% wrong. Sorry bud.

The rule is first a rifle, always a rifle.

The rule is NOT once a rifle, always a rifle.

It matters.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My apologies for putting out bad information and thanks for correcting my incorrect understanding.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
It also doesn't matter what the transferring FFL list the lower as. It is how the manufacturer list it as shipped. There are a bunch of shops that don't know how to classify firearms.

I got a complete lower from PSA and the kid at the counter doing the transfer insisted it was a rifle. I said it should be an 'other firearm' as there was no upper attached, nor could there be with the zip tied label through the mag well. He dug in and said he was the one who worked at a gun store.😀 I said fair enough. I reached out to PSA and they stated that complete lowers are listed as 'other firearm'.

But always build it as a pistol first if you are ever considering a pistol configuration in the future. Pistols can be made into a rifle and returned to a pistol. Rifle first 'locks' it to a rifle configuration. How anyone would know otherwise is beyond me, but that is the rules.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:13:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ihon:
It also doesn't matter what the transferring FFL list the lower as. It is how the manufacturer list it as shipped. There are a bunch of shops that don't know how to classify firearms.

I got a complete lower from PSA and the kid at the counter doing the transfer insisted it was a rifle. I said it should be an 'other firearm' as there was no upper attached, nor could there be with the zip tied label through the mag well. He dug in and said he was the one who worked at a gun store.😀 I said fair enough. I reached out to PSA and they stated that complete lowers are listed as 'other firearm'.

But always build it as a pistol first if you are ever considering a pistol configuration in the future. Pistols can be made into a rifle and returned to a pistol. Rifle first 'locks' it to a rifle configuration. How anyone would know otherwise is beyond me, but that is the rules.
View Quote

Correct. To see how the lower started life, you must look to the Form 2. That's the "birth" of that "firearm" and thus determines if it is an other, pistol, rifle, etc.

In practice, it likely doesn't matter as I've never heard of this law, or infraction of this law, being prosecuted... but that's the letter of the law anyway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd recommend buying a STRIPPED lower to avoid the FFL transferring it as a "rifle". Assembly is easy.
View Quote
No competent FFL would transfer it as a rifle.   It's a receiver, "other" on the 4473.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:24:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#14]
deleted
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:27:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
No competent FFL would transfer it as a rifle.   It's a receiver, "other" on the 4473.
View Quote

There are far more incompetent FFLs than competent ones. Generally it's the larger gun shops that have kids working the counter that doesn't think they have anything to learn, whereas kitchen table FFLs in general are willing to listen and learn and actually become experts on the subject, which doesn't happen overnight. I still learn stuff all the time, and I'm thankful to the fellow FFLs that help me in gaining this knowledge.

That said, it doesn't matter what it's transferred as on the 4473, what matters is the Form 2 that the mfg submits to the ATF when the firearm in question is manufactured.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:

Whoever told you this was passing along incorrect information.
Now you’re passing along incorrect information.
View Quote

And ... I already corrected myself and apologized for my error.

Thanks anyway!
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
I'd recommend buying a STRIPPED lower to avoid the FFL transferring it as a "rifle". Assembly is easy.

Tell that to the tens of thousands of receivers transferred before ATF wised up and corrected the 4473 to fit their own legal definitions by adding Other to the form. Just think of all those misnamed guns out there causing chaos.  

It’s better now but I’m sure it still gets messed up. Stocked lowers, builders kits, and probably pistol gripped shotguns still get entered incorrectly. While I think an FFL should be knowledgeable I blame it all on ATF and those that came up with the ridiculous laws.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the replies and explanations.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]
My apologies for putting out bad information and thanks for correcting my incorrect understanding.
View Quote

No worries my friend.  You would be surprised how many people come here with the same misconception.  Now you know, and can pass on the knowledge.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
As long as it is built as a pistol first it can go back and forth.

So purchase a lower with a stock, remove the stock, pin an upper to it, it's now a pistol. Put the stock on and it becomes a rifle.

ATF maintains that $200 is owed if that barrel is under 16".
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
As long as it is built as a pistol first it can go back and forth.

So purchase a lower with a stock, remove the stock, pin an upper to it, it's now a pistol. Put the stock on and it becomes a rifle.

ATF maintains that $200 is owed if that barrel is under 16".
View Quote

@Cascade-Dude I'd probably just go back and edit the post at this point.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

@Cascade-Dude I'd probably just go back and edit the post at this point.
View Quote

Good idea. Done. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Just to be clear about what I'm hearing ...

I purchased a stripped lower that was legally sold to me as "Other."
I built it out as an AR Pistol with a lower kit.
I legally purchased a complete .300 BO upper with a 10.5" barrel and attached it to the lower.
It's been there ever since.

What I am reading says that I can take that lower off that 10.5" upper, and attach it to my 6.5 mm upper with a 20" barrel and everything is perfectly legal.
And that when I take the lower off the 6.5 mm upper (20") and put it back on the .300 (10.5"), that is perfectly legal too.

And I can do this as many times as I wish and still be legal.

Do I have it right now?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#25]

I legally purchased a complete .300 BO upper with a 10.5" barrel and attached it to the lower.

What I am reading says that I can take that lower off that 10.5" upper, and attach it to my 6.5 mm upper with a 20" barrel and everything is perfectly legal.
And that when I take the lower off the 6.5 mm upper (20") and put it back on the .300 (10.5"), that is perfectly legal too.

Do I have it right now?

Thanks.
View Quote

You have that correct.

Just to clarify it technically doesn't matter how the receiver was listed on the 4473. It only matters how it was listed on the form 2.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Do I have it right now?

Thanks.
View Quote
As long as the short barrel and a stock aren't on it at the same time, you're good.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
As long as the short barrel and a stock aren't on it at the same time, you're good.
View Quote

Unless he pays $200.

Then he can swap between rifle, pistol, and SBR as he sees fit. Even more blown minds.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#28]

That said, it doesn't matter what it's transferred as on the 4473, what matters is the Form 2 that the mfg submits to the ATF when the firearm in question is manufactured.
View Quote
This is a good point. There are a lot of dealers out there that separate complete rifles and sell the uppers and lowers separately.

I've seen some heated discussions around whether you can legally ever have a Colt branded pistol because all Colts leave the factory as rifles.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's the case law that allows pistol, rifle, pistol, etc. T/C sold a Contender pistol kit that included a rifle stock and 16" barrel. ATF said it was a SBR. Lost in court.
https://stephenhalbrook.com/thompson/#:~:text=Halbrook%2C%20Counsel%20for%20Thompson%2FCenter,5845
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#30]

You have that correct.

Just to clarify it technically doesn't matter how the receiver was listed on the 4473. It only matters how it was listed on the form 2.
View Quote
Form 2 only applies to NFA.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 5:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#31]
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

I've seen some heated discussions around whether you can legally ever have a Colt branded pistol because all Colts leave the factory as rifles.

View Quote

I would "hope" that Clyde Armory would know what their doing selling Colt lowers as receivers and not rifles?

https://clydearmory.com/colt-sp633784-m4-carbine-lower-receiver
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 5:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#33]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

I would "hope" that Clyde Armory would know what their doing selling Colt lowers as receivers and not rifles?

https://clydearmory.com/colt-sp633784-m4-carbine-lower-receiver
View Quote
I don't know about Clyde, but I bought a Colt lower receiver from AU, that was transferred on a Form 4.

ETA: I don't think there is anything technically wrong with that Clyde ad. It's when its logged on the 4473 as a receiver, someone may believe they can then build it as a pistol.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the help, everybody!

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know about Clyde, but I bought a Colt lower receiver from AU, that was transferred on a Form 4.

ETA: I don't think there is anything technically wrong with that Clyde ad. It's when its logged on the 4473 as a receiver, someone may believe they can then build it as a pistol.

View Quote

Clyde been advertising them as pistol lowers.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#36]
This is a good point. There are a lot of dealers out there that separate complete rifles and sell the uppers and lowers separately.

View All Quotes

The fun arguments were with the ones like this https://www.brownells.com/guns/rifles/semi-auto-rifles/m4-carbine-oem-223-remington5.56-semi-auto-rifle/. My understanding is that It's just a firearm and should be transferred as other but I doubt that happens. Just like I bet a lot of belt fed semi autos get transferred as rifles even though they don't have stocks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

Clyde been advertising them as pistol lowers.

https://i.imgur.com/jaciwzn.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#38]
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/th-463.jpg
View Quote

When I was last in Clyde Armory they were selling these Colt advertised pistol lowers with SB4 braces as shown in the facebook screen shot, selling them with used 11.5" Diemaco uppers attached as well. Transferring them as pistols lol.

Clyde Armory is owned by Andrew Clyde a US House Congressman from GA's 9" district and a staunch supporter obviously of the 2A. Lots of people still want to call him out for being anti-Trump in 2016, but after Trump won I guess he got on the Trump Train as he has Trump signs everywhere now.

There are some who state every lower that ever left Colt was designated a rifle.

Then others bought some Colt "spares" from Brownells a few years ago, and Brownells trasnfered as "others" and some buyers after the factcalled Colt and they didn't seem sure. Was a lot of discussion about that.

So who really knows.

As for how its transferred on the 4473, it does matter a little as it goes to intent. If you see a commercial ad for a "pistol lower', you go buy it in good faith, its transferd as an "other", but legally its really a rifle on the books at Colt factory, there is NO intent to be proven you were breaking the law. How is the common man suppose to know better?

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#39]
I also got this unsolicited PM almost 2 years ago from a forum member here who works at Clyde's, blotted out his screen name to protect his privacy.

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Ah, that was your thread. Yeah, I remember the commentary about the Brownell lowers. The conversation definitely made me rethink my pistol lower plans.

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 2:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#41]
Originally Posted By ihon:
It also doesn't matter what the transferring FFL list the lower as. It is how the manufacturer list it as shipped. There are a bunch of shops that don't know how to classify firearms....
View Quote

Not true.
For one, receiving dealers are required by law to record the type of firearm they receive. Period. Not what another dealer or manufacturer believes it to be.
Second, In my fifteen years as an FFL, transferring more than 25,000 firearms, I've never received a copy of a Form 2 or AFMER for any firearm shipped straight from a manufacturer that shows "as shipped" or any such nonsense.

Lastly, ATF regulations define a firearm, whether it be a receiver, rifle, shotgun, etc. Not every manufacturer bothers to read those definitions. The most egregious example was the Colt "OEM" version of an AR15......shipped without a shoulder stock or forearm. Colt believed it to be a "rifle", yet it didn't meet the definition of "rifle" in ATF regs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 2:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#42]

View Quote

I disagree. The best example is Colt "OEM" model as described above.

I could send in a thousand Form 2's saying I manufactured " short barreled rifles", yet what I really manufactured was barreled receivers......that aren't actually SBR's. My Form 2 doesn't make those firearm SBR's just because I said so. Federal law/ATF regs define rifle and pistol.

And again, no one sees those Form 2's but ATF.

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Yep, and I just remembered I need to frame my email from my IOI and NFA Div admitting that your lower wasn't an SBR, but needed a Form 4.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Yep, and I just remembered I need to frame my email from my IOI and NFA Div admitting that your lower wasn't an SBR, but needed a Form 4.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

I can't even guess how many SBR lowers have been transferred. I had a customer that did a ton before ATF stopped him. Some started zip tying uppers and screwing stocks on with instructions to send them back after transfer. Reminded me of all the nonsense some companies jump through when importing stuff due to the points system.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Whatever, a good reason for not buying a complete lower is you typically get a standard fire-control group (trigger set) that will be so awful that you will have to put another set in it. Plus, there's no 'building' to a lower - its just 'assembling' and its easy. You can go by the standard military manuals and there are many vids to watch on the subject. Finally, after assembling a number of ARs over the years, I started buying complete guns when I bought my first new Colt in 2006. Some reasons: a complete gun has been test-fired as a unit so you know its going to function. A complete gun usually has a warranty. A complete gun usually has matching receivers that fit well together and are the same color. The whole gun was built/assembled by people who do this all day long and are good at it.
Many good manufacturers right now have great pricing. I have two Radical Firearms ARs - they are both great and the pricing was incredible. Plus, when you save that kind of money you don't mind springing for some accessories and a better trigger set.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top