Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2024 6:31:45 PM EDT
Hello all,

I did my paperwork for a suppressor, an AB Raptor 8 in .338 with a 3" reflex, and have an estimated 2-4 months for it to get out of jail. I purchased it with hunting in mind, but can see no reason not to let it reside on a home defense pistol when it is not out looking for Bambi, so a pistol upper is in my near future, for sure. I have been reading up on this and have a few questions I am hoping you all can help with.

1) The Raptor is 1.625" Diameter. Some of the handguards list a larger interior diameter than this, but say they can use suppressors up to 1.5".
- Is this because 1.5" is a typical size?
- Are there other clearance issues inside the handguard that need to be considered when fitting a suppressor into it?

2) The Reflex chamber on the raptor is 3" and goes back behind the muzzle, over the barrel. I am trying to determine what my shortest possible barrel is, not that I will definitely use that length, but I want to know my starting point. My understanding is the gas port is about 4" forward of the chamber.
- About how far forward of the gas port does a gas block extend?
- It seems like a 7" barrel would certainly would be too short?
- An 8" would probably be closer, but might be a little too short?
- A 9" seems unlikely to be too short?

Appreciate any experienced feedback you may have for me.

Thank you
-pg
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:37:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: puddleglum] [#1]
After more consideration I decided not to go with a handguard over the suppressor. I just ordered up a Ballistic Advantage 10.3 Hansen barrel in 300 BLK, and a Midwest Industries 7" handguard. Also ordered a DEMO/scratched upper from BCM. I have a spare BCM bolt carrier group to put in it.

The rig will probably look pretty odd since, with the reflex over most of the barrel past the handguard, it will appear to be a 7" barrel with a 9" suppressor.

-pg
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top