Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2024 12:37:12 AM EDT
Is there a length limit on pistols? For example if I had a 16” upper could I put it on a pistol lower and still have it be a pistol?

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
If you use a 16" upper it would be a rifle and while you certainly could put a brace on it, there'd be no point. Just put a stock on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By R71:
Is there a length limit on pistols? For example if I had a 16” upper could I put it on a pistol lower and still have it be a pistol?

View Quote

There may be a state or two that has a length restriction for a pistol, but not federally.  You can put a brace on a 16" barreled gun unless your state has other ideas.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stowe:
If you use a 16" upper it would be a rifle...
View Quote
Wrong.

Federally, pistols have no maximum OAL nor maximum barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Wrong.

Federally, pistols have no maximum OAL nor maximum barrel length.
View Quote

I get that and agree, but how would anyone know? They typical local cop, hell even a new ATF agent, would not know at first.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

I get that and agree, but how would anyone know? They typical local cop, hell even a new ATF agent, would not know at first.

View Quote
What is there to know that would concern an LEO?  If you have a pistol and put a 16" barrel on it and it's still a pistol, cool.  Would the cop be like "I'm booking you for having an aggressively long pistol"?

Likewise, if you have a pistol and put a 16" barrel on it then also slide on a stock, well now it's a legal title 1 rifle which is fine too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses I should have included some more info in my post.

I didn’t think there was an overall length issue but wasn’t sure

I built an xm177 upper and it still has an extended flash hider that I haven’t gotten pinned and welded yet. I’d like to shoot it and figure dropping it on a pistol lower will allow me to do until I can get it done.

I noticed PSA is selling an upper in similar configuration to add to a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]

I get that and agree, but how would anyone know?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I get that and agree, but how would anyone know?

They could read ATF regs. It ain't rocket surgery.

They typical local cop, hell even a new ATF agent, would not know at first.

Sure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The see a 16" with a stock (brace) they will obviously think rifle. To say they wont, is crazy.

Tech thread: no one will care.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Isn't what's listed on the 4473 determine what classification of firearm it is? And if you form1 it then it permanently becomes a rifle? Also if you put certain furniture on it (buttstock, foregrip) it becomes a rifle and has to follow all the rules that go with owning a rifle?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#10]
Originally Posted By -Deathstroke-:
Isn't what's listed on the 4473 determine what classification of firearm it is?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Deathstroke-:
Isn't what's listed on the 4473 determine what classification of firearm it is?

No.
ATF regulations define whether a firearm is a pistol/revolver/rifle/shotgun/silencer/etc......not what the dealer checked on the Form 4473.
If you buy a Glock 19 and the dealer erroneously listed it as a shotgun.....does that make it a shotgun? No.

And if you form1 it then it permanently becomes a rifle?

No.
A Form 1 is for making an NFA firearm.
-If you start with a pistol, add a shoulder stock you have made a Short Barreled Rifle. Remove the shoulder stock and the firearm is a pistol because it is no longer assembled in SBR configuration.
-If you start with a rifle, shorten the barrel to less than 16" or the OAL to less than 26" you have made a Short Barreled Rifle. If you replace the short barrel with one 16" or longer and making it at least 26" OAL, it is not in SBR configuration and is a Title I rifle.

Also if you put certain furniture on it (buttstock, foregrip) it becomes a rifle and has to follow all the rules that go with owning a rifle?

If adding that certain furniture cause it to meet the ATF definition for a particular firearm, yes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
So if im understanding this correctly, the myriad of AR10 pistols out there that are braced with 13.5” barrels and an overall length of 28-30” is not a problem? They are still considered pistols? This whole thing is so confusing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Shleeban:
So if im understanding this correctly, the myriad of AR10 pistols out there that are braced with 13.5" barrels and an overall length of 28-30" is not a problem? They are still considered pistols? This whole thing is so confusing.
View Quote
Yea, if they don't have a stock, then they'd be pistols.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
16" pistol

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
If you use a 16" upper it would be a rifle and while you certainly could put a brace on it, there'd be no point. Just put a stock on.
View Quote

No, a rifle is something with a buttstock and a pistol is something without a stock. If it has a brace instead of a stock, it's a pistol.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top