User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:

Fuck I'll take the corn fields! I got buildings in the way out here!

Never thought I would be able to say this, but what comes after MK12......
https://i.imgur.com/QwgxCs2.jpg
View Quote
I see a mod h I'm the new .224 Valkyrie in your future.

If you haven't tried uspsa open class that's a rush, but say goodbye to money if you do.  The clone game is not the most expensive game around as it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:

Okay thanks so much for the info! So it seems that either way someone can't be clone correct to the exacting specs. So seems the decision is to determine which would be closer to clone correct, having a noveske barrel and a contoured collar or a Douglas,  BA, or CLE barrel with the correct collar? I may opt for the collar since I've already plunged into the Noveske barrel price.
View Quote
not all mod H were noveske barrelled. some have unmarked barrels. verified.

BA barrels are not the correct profile and in 1/8 only. for a barrel thats getting a 22oz can on the end, it willl matter. ive got a WOA Barrel of the correct profile. The can make them to order last i heard. some have said they  made the ops cut 2.3 not 2.4" back, but i have a lathe and thats a 10min setup and cut back if i need to massage it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prskiller] [#3]

What's it under on ebay? Can't seem to find the scope you have listed?
View Quote
It's listed under Leupold Mk4
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By prskiller:

It's listed under Leupold Mk4
View Quote
Ahh, there it is. Thanks!

I really need those rings without the stop humps. lol
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

not all mod H were noveske barrelled. some have unmarked barrels. verified.

BA barrels are not the correct profile and in 1/8 only. for a barrel thats getting a 22oz can on the end, it willl matter. ive got a WOA Barrel of the correct profile. The can make them to order last i heard. some have said they made the ops cut 2.3 not 2.4" back, but i have a lathe and thats a 10min setup and cut back if i need to massage it.
View Quote
I tend to agree with you on the 22oz can on the end of those barrels. Seems I'm collecting barrels now. lol. I went ahead and bought a BA 16". Bought it from Granite Ridge Outfitters for $134.55 delivered. Can't go wrong with that even if I just use it for something else. But to your point, I have a WOA that's an 18" and it's a tack driver. May look at that them for the 16".

And idea what the history is behind the unmarked barrels? gov't contract co X or turned down barrel blanks?

I'm starting to think everyone is a bad influence on me because I just keep buying and buying and buying......
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]

I tend to agree with you on the 22oz can on the end of those barrels. Seems I'm collecting barrels now. lol. I went ahead and bought a BA 16". Bought it from Granite Ridge Outfitters for $134.55 delivered. Can't go wrong with that even if I just use it for something else. But to your point, I have a WOA that's an 18" and it's a tack driver. May look at that them for the 16".

And idea what the history is behind the unmarked barrels? gov't contract co X or turned down barrel blanks?

I'm starting to think everyone is a bad influence on me because I just keep buying and buying and buying......
View Quote
Lol, nature of the beast.  Honestly, if I was going to go all out with the correct profile I'd order a Bartlain or Criterion barrel from Compass Lake.

John only made a select amount of barrels for the original order.  Uppers sent out after that original very likely had barrels from PRI, they have a few with the correct profile.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The next time I do a Holland upper, I may go with the Bison Armory one and give them a try. The heavier SPR style profile as mentioned, $200 and add bead blast for $20, 1:7 twist. I've heard good things about them here and that was with the Recon profile that's closer to the BA TacGov.

Bison 16" SPR tube

And yes, you read that right. Hollandless for now but I plan to do it "right" when the time comes again, FDE handguard and FDE Duracoated upper with the right forge marks, Bison barrel bead blasted. Goal is 1:1 of the Holland carried by the gentleman from KRG Ops.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
The next time I do a Holland upper, I may go with the Bison Armory one and give them a try. The heavier SPR style profile as mentioned, $200 and add bead blast for $20, 1:7 twist. I've heard good things about them here and that was with the Recon profile that's closer to the BA TacGov.

Bison 16" SPR tube

And yes, you read that right. Hollandless for now but I plan to do it "right" when the time comes again, FDE handguard and FDE Duracoated upper with the right forge marks, Bison barrel bead blasted. Goal is 1:1 of the Holland carried by the gentleman from KRG Ops.
View Quote
Please confirm for me " the right forge marks"?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Bison 16" SPR tube

Well for the upper I was doing, it was just a Keyhole/Cerro, no Colt "C" or other stamps. Basically the Hollands should mainly have used new contract stripped uppers, though some may have re-used the SPR uppers if they were still serviceable as evidenced by upper/lower paint matching but the handguard being FDE Duracoat.

I'm copying the top upper here:

A plain Keyhole, or maybe Square forge mark should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Well for the upper I was doing, it was just a Keyhole/Cerro, no Colt "C" or other stamps. Basically the Hollands should mainly have used new contract stripped uppers, though some may have re-used the SPR uppers if they were still serviceable as evidenced by upper/lower paint matching but the handguard being FDE Duracoat.

https://i.imgur.com/SIcp9uv.jpg

View Quote
That’s the pic that got me into the Holland game
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Will816:

View Quote
It's certainly one of the most convincing out there. FDE Hollands just got it going on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
OKay, good to know! I was misinformed that the upper receiver was also "C" stamped. Good thing I have the keyhole upper without any other markings. Finally something I don't have to buy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
OKay, good to know! I was misinformed that the upper receiver was also "C" stamped. Good thing I have the keyhole upper without any other markings. Finally something I don't have to buy.
View All Quotes

If one was rebuilt on an SPR upper, then it possibly would have a Colt but it would be an "AF" forge mark.

There's no one pattern with them, some had FDE handguards and upper, some were FDE handguard, black upper, some were black/black, some had rattlecan on the upper but not the handguard, it's all a mix.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#14]

View Quote
Lance is right.  Basically, they took the old spr (MK12 mod 0) rifles and took what they could use and trashed the rest.  In many cases new stripped uppers were used and they aren't marked with the c.  One of just several reasons the holland is one of the cheaper spr clones to build.

Check out page 1 of the holland thread also
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By chenault:

Lance is right.  Basically, they took the old spr (MK12 mod 0) rifles and took what they could use and trashed the rest.  In many cases new stripped uppers were used and they aren't marked with the c.  One of just several reasons the holland is one of the cheaper spr clones to build.

Check out page 1 of the holland thread also
View Quote
Great to know and I had no idea about the Holland thread! After reading 4 of 43, I appreciate everyone answering my questions. Seems some of it was covered there! I'll try and get through the other 39 pages tonight.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Great to know and I had no idea about the Holland thread! After reading 4 of 43, I appreciate everyone answering my questions. Seems some of it was covered there! I'll try and get through the other 39 pages tonight.
View Quote
I wouldn't sweat the small details too much, the H in mod H stands for "put whatever the Hell you want on it" pretty much lol as there are many many mod-H variations out there, unlike most of the stricter Mod0/1 as-issued/builds.  It's the perfect rifle to enter into the cloning world, lot's of leeway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry for the noob question, could someone point me in the right direction on deciding on a rear BUIS? I’m using the peq 2 rail from PRI and the clearance is minimal as seen in the pictures below. Thanks in advance to any replies

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By loudxpack:
Sorry for the noob question, could someone point me in the right direction on deciding on a rear BUIS? I’m using the peq 2 rail from PRI and the clearance is minimal as seen in the pictures below. Thanks in advance to any replies

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472230/C19890F9-77AF-4C52-BDB9-64B9165A0852-409256.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472230/33D47DFF-6FC6-4134-AFB8-5AA9EC2E63AB-409257.JPG
View Quote
The ARMS 40L is designed to fit under that little "ledge" of the rail.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

The ARMS 40L is designed to fit under that little "ledge" of the rail.
View Quote
Thank you!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Making moves to buy the can.  It will be my first NFA buy.  NFA has always intimidated me, dunno why.  I can only imagine the floodgates will now be opening.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Making moves to buy the can.  It will be my first NFA buy.  NFA has always intimidated me, dunno why.  I can only imagine the floodgates will now be opening.
View Quote
Easiest money you'll ever spend. Most places make the process turnkey. Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#23]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Easiest money you'll ever spend. Most places make the process turnkey. Congrats.
View Quote
Up until very recently most places made it seem like a dark art.  It didn't help that I know no one IRL with nfa toys.  NFA dealers around me were jerkoffs (i.e. the only one for the longest time was raided by the ATF, then had a SWAT standoff at his home).  Times have changed, and/or I stopped being a bitch
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Up until very recently most places made it seem like a dark art.  It didn't help that I know no one IRL with nfa toys.  NFA dealers around me were jerkoffs (i.e. the only one for the longest time was raided by the ATF, then had a SWAT standoff at his home).  Times have changed, and/or I stopped being a bitch
View Quote
lol, sounds like you need better mates.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By loudxpack:

Thank you!!
View Quote
The ARMS 40 full size and the PRI rear sights will, as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#26]
AEM5 is a freak of nature and probably the best purchase I have ever made.
View Quote
Hell ya!

Brad
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]

I'm guessing you guys are having a winter like us in ID. Where the hell is the snow?
View Quote
It's all in Michigan, mixed with road salt.  Every time the roads dry up a bit, and I think it's safe to wash my truck, it dumps again and I'm covered in salt.  I hate road salt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Is the mk12 18" barrel and rifle gas system a reliable system if run without a suppressor? I would assume that since the dwell time is shorter, that it may be a little finicky unless either suppressed or the gas port is larger. Ive been interested in these for awhile, but not so sure I would be getting a suppressor and reliability is #1 followed by accuracy. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:11:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ckopp636:
Is the mk12 18" barrel and rifle gas system a reliable system if run without a suppressor? I would assume that since the dwell time is shorter, that it may be a little finicky unless either suppressed or the gas port is larger. Ive been interested in these for awhile, but not so sure I would be getting a suppressor and reliability is #1 followed by accuracy. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:24:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Halleluja, I'm getting the Mod 1 Handguard and at not too bad of a price
All the rest is no problem at all, luckily one of my mates has someone who does imports at a very good price on speed-dial.

This year is starting well
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Philipp:
Halleluja, I'm getting the Mod 1 Handguard and at not too bad of a price
All the rest is no problem at all, luckily one of my mates has someone who does imports at a very good price on speed-dial.

This year is starting well
View Quote
Nice, make sure to get pics up as it's coming along
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Nice, make sure to get pics up as it's coming along
View Quote
Wilco
Handguard, DD MK12 Gas Block, KAC Rear and Front sight and the Arms #32 are coming first, all the other stuff I can order locally, gunsmith has recievers, a DPMS MK12 barrel, BCG and all the small parts, plan is going well so far :D
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I did a thing.  It will be my first can.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Grats!

There's no way a sports shooter will ever get a surpressor over here...
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#36]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/220444/suppressor-410676.JPG
View Quote
Niiice! These cans are so underrated, it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
It's a gooood thing!
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
Nice. I too did a thing on December 6th, went pending on the 22nd
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#40]

If one was rebuilt on an SPR upper, then it possibly would have a Colt but it would be an "AF" forge mark.

There's no one pattern with them, some had FDE handguards and upper, some were FDE handguard, black upper, some were black/black, some had rattlecan on the upper but not the handguard, it's all a mix.
View Quote
those 2 ACS stocked Mod H represent my basis for my clone. i had it like the other one with the FDE magpul MVG on it and SOCOM stock for awhile, but the ACS is lovely. i had a larue lt104 on mine for 1 day as i was wanting to clone to top rifle more closely, but 3" groups arent my style so i had to go back to RECCE rail. There are a lot of options for mod H. its not much cheaper tho...im at $3,400 in the pelican and can that is about $250 cheaper than an AEM5 lol

also, dont forget the Diemaco for Anchor Harvey upper. also an option :)
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
those 2 ACS stocked Mod H represent my basis for my clone. i had it like the other one with the FDE magpul MVG on it and SOCOM stock for awhile, but the ACS is lovely. i had a larue lt104 on mine for 1 day as i was wanting to clone to top rifle more closely, but 3" groups arent my style so i had to go back to RECCE rail. There are a lot of options for mod H. its not much cheaper tho...im at $3,400 in the pelican and can that is about $250 cheaper than an AEM5 lol

also, dont forget the Diemaco for Anchor Harvey upper. also an option :)
View Quote
Why did the LT104 impact your groups?
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Bought mine from Presample Depot too. ATF cashed my check on 12/12/17. I hope going the trust route wasn't too much of a mistake. Hopefully they get the wait times down.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes

Definitely underrated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#44]
AEM5 is my favorite centerfire rifle can I own. Todd Magee of Dead Air posted the other day in the silencer forum that it is the quietest 5.56 can he's ever tested at both muzzle and ear. Pretty solid endorsement from another manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#45]
Originally Posted By sbye:

Bought mine from Presample Depot too. ATF cashed my check on 12/12/17. I hope going the trust route wasn't too much of a mistake. Hopefully they get the wait times down.
View Quote
It helps that Eric is the man and a fellow hardcore cloner.

Edit - kind of killed the budget for buying an MRE when they become available
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ckopp636:
Is the mk12 18" barrel and rifle gas system a reliable system if run without a suppressor? I would assume that since the dwell time is shorter, that it may be a little finicky unless either sucppressed or the gas port is larger. Ive been interested in these for awhile, but not so sure I would be getting a suppressor and reliability is #1 followed by accuracy. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
View Quote
Funny thing is I've never had a problem running the rifle suppressed or unsuppressed with actual MK262 or my own handloads. I've read so many postings by people over the years with regards other upper combos that they needed to have an adjustable gas block, no sure the reason why, when the MK12 gets the job done as it was originally built.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Outridher:
AEM5 is my favorite centerfire rifle can I own. Todd Magee of Dead Air posted the other day in the silencer forum that it is the quietest 5.56 can he's ever tested at both muzzle and ear. Pretty solid endorsement from another manufacturer.
View Quote
The firearms blog did a little article a couple of years ago. Phil Seberger was a bit off a genuis, even his methods of measuring the suppressors sound waves was innovative, so much so that the Aberdeen Proving grounds started using his methods. Utterly fantastic suppressor, so many people I know still can't believe how quiet and effective it is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By tamboi:

Funny thing is I've never had a problem running the rifle suppressed or unsuppressed with actual MK262 or my own handloads. I've read so many postings by people over the years with regards other upper combos that they needed to have an adjustable gas block, no sure the reason why, when the MK12 gets the job done as it was originally built.
View Quote
I've been trying out adjustable carriers in my short and suppressed rigs to mitigate excess gas. Needless to say I didn't even need one for my 16" recce with the AEM5. The rifle just flat out runs great.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Have we done this one yet?

NSW OIF:

Link Posted: 1/4/2018 6:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#50]

Why did the LT104 impact your groups?
View Quote
never found out why. it grouped then dropped shots 3" low, and wandering zero issues. 2 days at the range, 60rnds of handloads....veey frustrating. i wasnt a fan of the way you mount or the procedure for tightening...that i did 2x and watched a youtube video on to make sure it wasnt me. i heard AFTER that some people i asked quietly had issues with them....SO i returned it immediately. i could also flex the optic in the mount by applying pressure to the optic....didnt like that. i know that Mark goes through the threads and i didnt wanna really say too much negative on it cause he would come hard. i bought mine during that $149 sale.

loving my recce and NF combo tho :). the issues immediately stopped at the range when i went back to that setup.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top