Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/29/2024 8:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tstetz]
Can't beat the $6.44 a grip from Numrich. I had a couple Colts from a previous batch, but tried 6 more hoping for a GM. Doesn't look like I got one, but I think there are two H&R's in this batch at least.

The Colts are all C and Wagon wheel marked.

I *think* from what I read in old posts here that the A and wagon wheel is also a Colt.

One has a big 3 in a circle and the other a big 2. I think those are H&R.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here's how they came, pre-scrub down

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You do remember mentioning that you’d give me a few of those don’t you?!

But seriously, nice haul!!!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I was getting those $100 per batch to get free shipping.  Scored a 601 grip and a 602 skinny as well.  Need to pull them back out again and check the markings
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:30:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tstetz] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
I was getting those $100 per batch to get free shipping.  Scored a 601 grip and a 602 skinny as well.  Need to pull them back out again and check the markings
View Quote

Lol, maybe I should have gone for 100!  EDIT: I first read that as you bought 100, not $100 worth!

I think I got 2 the first time and had added them on to other stuff I was ordering. Both Colts. I had one or two others already that were also Colts.

I tried half a dozen this time but apparently should have grabbed more looking for a GM for my next build. Still, two H&R's (if I'm right!) isn't bad.

I need to brush up on the grip markings though. I was researching what I had, but other than the Colt had no idea what I was looking at until I found old posts here.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple like this, but can't find any marking anywhere.

Do you know if all were marked?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Some pics I had saved....

dusty and dirty, but I spy a diamond...

Hope my wife doesn't mind using the pasta pot to clean

dat 601 do.... (stripped any leftover green, polished it up and put it on a Brownells BRN-PROTO)

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sergtjim:

I have a couple like this, but can't find any marking anywhere.

Do you know if all were marked?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/264818/1000009837_jpg-3145473.JPG
View Quote

Dud you look up inside the grip near the screw hole? That's where they normally would be marked.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]

https://i.imgur.com/JimS71Oh.png

https://i.imgur.com/FgzbSYqh.png

dat 601 do.... (stripped any leftover green, polished it up and put it on a Brownells BRN-PROTO)

https://i.imgur.com/M9lqlVwh.png
View Quote

Oh, nice!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:13:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sergtjim] [#8]
Originally Posted By tstetz:

Dud you look up inside the grip near the screw hole? That's where they normally would be marked.
View Quote

I cleaned that area with a stiff brush.  Lo and behold there's a wagon wheel down there under all that hard crud.

Thanks.

Attachment Attached File

Now that I've seen it, I can't stop looking at it.

And the damn thing doesn't look like a wagon wheel.

It looks like a mum.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#9]
@tstetz
Your haul looks good. How did you clean them and have them turn out so good? I just got a batch of grips too, and I hope I can copy your cleaning process.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By yrs:
@tstetz
Your haul looks good. How did you clean them and have them turn out so good? I just got a batch of grips too, and I hope I can copy your cleaning process.
View Quote

Nothing fancy. I got an old pot and filled it with hot water in the laundry sink and let them soak briefly. Then I hit with a scrub brush and dish soap. That was it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]

https://i.imgur.com/JimS71Oh.png

https://i.imgur.com/FgzbSYqh.png

https://i.imgur.com/M9lqlVwh.png
View Quote

Man what a haul. I've got an xm16e1 build I did probably 15 years ago back when the A1 kits were easy to come by but I'd always wished I had one of the older style A1 grips like this, always loved that look. First time to come back to Numrich in almost as many years...

Also the last two times the non-stick coating has died, I've stashed pots for rust conversion preservation and the like, haha.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Sarco had these same exact ones at $10, but no better quality...good score
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I placed an order for a bunch of these last week and got them in yesterday. Half of the batch were wagon-wheel marked, mostly also with a C stamped near it or on the top section. Four of them had the large electro-pencil number mold marks, and three of them had the "clover" mark (the checkering is much more pronounced on these three than the others). Two of them I could not make out any marks, or they were too scratched up to identify.

I started cleaning them all up by tossing 'em in a bucket in my kitchen sink filled with hot water and dish soap. Forgot about them for about ten hours (thank god the wife is away on work) then took them out and scrubbed them with a worn out old bottle brush, sponge, and toothbrush and a bunch more dish soap. Lots of nasty brown suds were created and rinsed away. They look great now - all of them have mottling to varying degrees that might disappear with some oil rubbed onto them.

A few of them had green labels on the insides. Two of them even came with rusted-up detent springs still stuck in their holes. One pulled out easily and the other was broken off and rusted over just at the top of the hole. I almost had to drill it out but was able to scrape away enough rust with a dental pick to expose a few solid coils and pull it out with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By zul:
I placed an order for a bunch of these last week and got them in yesterday. Half of the batch were wagon-wheel marked, mostly also with a C stamped near it or on the top section. Four of them had the large electro-pencil number mold marks, and three of them had the "clover" mark (the checkering is much more pronounced on these three than the others). Two of them I could not make out any marks, or they were too scratched up to identify.

I started cleaning them all up by tossing 'em in a bucket in my kitchen sink filled with hot water and dish soap. Forgot about them for about ten hours (thank god the wife is away on work) then took them out and scrubbed them with a worn out old bottle brush, sponge, and toothbrush and a bunch more dish soap. Lots of nasty brown suds were created and rinsed away. They look great now - all of them have mottling to varying degrees that might disappear with some oil rubbed onto them.

A few of them had green labels on the insides. Two of them even came with rusted-up detent springs still stuck in their holes. One pulled out easily and the other was broken off and rusted over just at the top of the hole. I almost had to drill it out but was able to scrape away enough rust with a dental pick to expose a few solid coils and pull it out with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

https://i.imgur.com/JfqPXUq.jpg
View Quote

$100.00 for 18 grips, that's a fantastic deal...
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Some plastic polish or even Flitz and a microfiber helps put a nice finish on these.  On one with nice black/gray marbling, I polished and then sprayed with some satin clearcoat and put on a modern AR.  Looks like it belongs but is way more interesting to look at than a $6 plastic A2 grip
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there an A1 grip marking ID chart or thread anywhere? If there is one on arfcom, could somebody link it. I have not had success in finding one so far. TIA
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By zul:

https://i.imgur.com/JfqPXUq.jpg
View Quote

Nice! The cloverleaf ones are what I'm after. Hoping I get at least one in my next batch.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have quite a few of these. I didn't even know they were marked like that. Neat info. Now I'll have to go look at all of them!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tstetz:

Nice! The cloverleaf ones are what I'm after. Hoping I get at least one in my next batch.
View Quote

Managed to get one of those in the three I bought.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:59:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TW56] [#21]
Twelve A1 grips received from Numrich. I have to say they were not as dirty as I expected. Some random stickers inside several grips that came off in the wash.

Breakdown is as follows. The width is approximate measured with a digital caliper:

One: Wheel with letter C  1.256"
One: Wheel with letter C  1.260"
One: Wheel with letter D  1.620"
One: Wheel with letter D  1.250"
One: Nato/Red Cross symbol with a 4  Top has a C  1.267"
One: Circle with number 3 inside circle   1.267"
One: Circle with number 3 inside circle   1.725"
One: Circle with number 1 inside circle   1.270"  
One: Number 2 marked with an awl  D crudely marked on the top  1.260
One: Number 3 married with an awl  crudely marked 3 on the top   1.258"
Two: Unmarked grips 1.250", 1.260"

Anybody know who we assign the crudely marked number grips with the additional letter or number on the top to?

Pics of the grip with the number 4 cross symbol with C on the top

The three H&R grips with the number in the circle all have this feature near the safety detent spring hole. The H&R grips are the blackest with the least amount of mottling.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone told me this one was a Hydamatic? It was in with 4 I bought from Numrich.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]
One: Nato/Red Cross symbol with a 4  Top has a C  1.67"
View Quote

That one should be a GM from what I understand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#24]
A pic of a couple A1 grips with the crudely drawn numbers. Anyone know who these are these contributed to? They are approximately 1.258-1.260”

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top