Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/18/2023 5:32:47 PM EDT
Looks like an updated tail switch to mimic Surefire. Same stats as original HL-X. If the new cap fixed the flickering and kept the same price point it’d be a good cheap option.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks interesting, especially the 50k candelas output.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're forced to still use Streamlight's crappy pressure switches, it's still a no-go for me
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the release date for them?

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJL0325:
If you're forced to still use Streamlight's crappy pressure switches, it's still a no-go for me
View Quote

It looks like it uses a crane plug so you'll be able to use most switches on the market.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Yumago:

It looks like it uses a crane plug so you'll be able to use most switches on the market.
View Quote
Yep, it was a smart move allowing use of modlight and unity switches.

But man, I really wish the industry as a whole would get off the crane plug entirely, it's such a terrible design.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Yep, it was a smart move allowing use of modlight and unity switches.

But man, I really wish the industry as a whole would get off the crane plug entirely, it's such a terrible design.
View Quote

Yeah it definitely has it's draw backs, being so dated, but it also is hard to make a new standard and have everyone get on board with it.

Curious on how the Unity LINK system will turn out

https://www.unitytactical.com/link-system/
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 4:16:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#7]
Originally Posted By carholio:
View Quote

Streamlight told me November.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Any chance they confirmed the Jack Cap working with Unity switches? I sent a email but nothing back yet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Fiyero:
Any chance they confirmed the Jack Cap working with Unity switches? I sent a email but nothing back yet.
View Quote

Sorry, all I asked about was the release date.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Interested. It's time I get a dedicated rifle light. I have a a tlr-1 on my main rifle now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Thank you.

Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you.
View Quote

You're welcome!
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Umm Primary arms has them in stock right now….

Protac 2.0
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The 2.0 is a different animal. 2000 lumen for one. Different from the new HL-X PRO coming out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#15]
About time. I was shocked when the 2.0 was a downgrade in candela. This looks like it’s still pretty chunky but hopefully it’s a good budget option.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Hopefully the new tail cap eliminated the flickering issue. The HL-X is a good light, but flickering when the rifle is fired is annoying and they all do it without an O ring.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TheKurnal:
The 2.0 is a different animal. 2000 lumen for one. Different from the new HL-X PRO coming out.
View Quote

The 2.0 is horrible and they should be embarrassed by it

HL-X PRO looks good
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Same stats as original HL-X.
View Quote

Original was 27,xxx candela, so almost doubled that.
I only used HL-Xs without the remote switch (too many remote switch problems), so if they've upped their game there this could be a very nice entry to the field. Even if the remote switches still have problems at least this gives you a backup tailcap switch ala SF DS00 and the CD rein.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#19]
If it really takes a Crane switch, this could be a pretty good budget option. IIRC, the current HLX is only $120 or so at the 'zon.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve been told the Streamlight switches are similar to Crane but not compatible. Has that changed?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JJL0325:
View Quote

i've upgrade my tape switch to a surefire ue using an arisaka tailcap adapter.  there's an hl-x version as well. https://arisakadefense.com/tailcap-adapter-streamlight-protac-railmount-hl-x/
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:01:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fiyero] [#22]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
I’ve been told the Streamlight switches are similar to Crane but not compatible. Has that changed?
View Quote

Here’s the official answer from Streamlight when I asked about them being be compatible with the Unity Tactical switches. So I’ll definitely be picking up a few to play with now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Here’s the official answer from Streamlight when I asked about them being be compatible with the Unity Tactical switches. So I’ll definitely be picking up a few to play with now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222364/IMG_3496_jpeg-3001406.JPG
View All Quotes

That makes me more confused. Usually I hear crane referred to with regard to laser switches . . .
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

That makes me more confused. Usually I hear crane referred to with regard to laser switches . . .
View Quote

Yes, but all it is is a plug in style of electronic connection. It is mostly used on lasers, but doesn't mean it cant be used on flashlights.

Streamlight isn't going to adopt their competitors plug style, not to mention that Cloud Defense has shown us it is a limiting factor anyways.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

There's really no reason I'm aware of that it can't be used for flashlights. IIRC, Z-Bolt uses them. The reality is that the Surefire system kinda sucks in some ways, and the industry could use a new open standard based on USB-C. The UT Link system should have been it, but they kept it proprietary instead.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By erwos:

There's really no reason I'm aware of that it can't be used for flashlights. IIRC, Z-Bolt uses them. The reality is that the Surefire system kinda sucks in some ways, and the industry could use a new open standard based on USB-C. The UT Link system should have been it, but they kept it proprietary instead.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By erwos:

As long as that's what they mean I don't have a problem with it, just was confused as to if that meant that same plug style or if there was a crane light spec that matched SF too. If not then that's probably better than SF d/t the aforementioned voltage issues with sf switches.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Excellent!

Please let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Here's the official answer from Streamlight when I asked about them being be compatible with the Unity Tactical switches. So I'll definitely be picking up a few to play with now.

View Quote

Holy shit. The unity switches cost more than the light. Are the stream lights really that bad?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 4:07:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TheOldRepublic:

Holy shit. The unity switches cost more than the light. Are the stream lights really that bad?
View Quote

No, but Unity stuff is really that expensive.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I've preordered one from Amazon, will post first impressions here when it arrives.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I've preordered one from Amazon, will post first impressions here when it arrives.
View Quote

Nice. Hope it's all it looks to be. How much was it?

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Sweet you gave me the idea to do the same. $114 for the bare bones version then $70ish for Unity switch will make a legit sub $200 rifle light.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:39:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#34]
Nice. Hope it's all it looks to be. How much was it?
View Quote

$135 w/remote switch, it's an experiment I can easily return if I'm not happy with it:
Amazon Product
  • 1000 lumens, 50,000 candela with a beam of 447 meters and runs 1.25 hours with CR123A batteries or 1.75 hours with SL-B26 USB battery

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I just found out it has an IP54 rating. I want more water resistance than a '4' on my WML's so I cancelled my preorder.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:11:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#36]
I just found out it has an IP54 rating. I want more water resistance than a '4' on my WML's so I cancelled my preorder.
View Quote

It looks like their remote switch is the problem. The old HLX was a 7 with the tail cap and reduced to 4 with their pressure switch. Makes me wonder about the water ingress of aftermarket higher end switches as well as that’s rarely talked about.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carholio] [#37]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

It looks like their remote switch is the problem. The old HLX was a 7 with the tail cap and reduced to 4 with their pressure switch. Makes me wonder about the water ingress of aftermarket higher end switches as well as that’s rarely talked about.
View All Quotes

Agree.  Even the rail mount surefires are rated at 7 but when you use the remote switch it goes down to 4.

I will need to check ipx ratings on othe remote switch options.

I'll probably buy 1 of these eventually to give it a try. The surefire turbo is more than twice the price and even the non turbo scouts are $100 more.

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

I’ve got an Axon SL Unity switch ordered for mine but not sure how much of a difference it’ll make.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fiyero] [#39]
Weird dupe.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Agree.  Even the rail mount surefires are rated at 7 but when you use the remote switch it goes down to 4.

I'll probably buy 1 of these eventually to give it a try. The surefire turbo is more than twice the price and even the non turbo scouts are $100 more.

View Quote

Wow, didn’t expect that loss to apply to Surefire too. Guess I have a bit more appreciation for my REIN.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Wow, didn’t expect that loss to apply to Surefire too. Guess I have a bit more appreciation for my REIN.
View All Quotes

My error. I meant the streamlight rail mount,  not the surefire.  Too many S.... light makers. LOL

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#42]

My error. I meant the streamlight rail mount,  not the surefire.  Too many S.... light makers. LOL

View All Quotes

I tried plugging the Axon switch in my RM2 on my Scorpion and it was a no-go. The Streamlight plug has a O-ring (which is a plus I never noticed) and is a tad longer. So unless the Jack Cap is vastly different I don’t see them being compatible. However I’ve had thousands of rounds through my Scorpion with RM2 and never had a problem.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Okay, curiosity got the better of me and I caved, back on preorder!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Wonder if the caps will be backwards compatible. Have several protac2s that I'd upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:
Wonder if the caps will be backwards compatible. Have several protac2s that I'd upgrade.
View Quote

Protac 1 and 2 are narrower than the HLX series and use a different size cap.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

Thanks guess I need to bite the bullet and buy one
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Streamlight mentioned some great Cyber Mondays deals coming. Hoping this is involved.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By twpayne75:
Streamlight mentioned some great Cyber Mondays deals coming. Hoping this is involved.
View Quote

Would those deals be via retailers? Thx!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Don't know. It was Streamlights Facebook page that announced it. If I see anything I'll post it here.

After I order one for myself of course.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Don't know. It was Streamlights Facebook page that announced it. If I see anything I'll post it here.

View All Quotes

I think it’s just some type giveaway celebrating their 50th anniversary unfortunately
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top