Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2024 7:01:07 PM EDT

I just completed my 5.7 build and realized that I simply messed up and didn't read the fine print on the CMMG site that their 5.7 conversion mags only work with their proprietary upper receiver which they don't sell stripped (of course) and only as complete. So basically the mags don't lock in with the bolt closed, lock in with it open but soon as its released it hits the mag before catching the bullet to feed into the chamber. If I hold the mag to the standard position to where it should be it feeds and ejects no problem so I'm assuming CMMG just decided to engineer the mags to need you to spend 1k on their uppers that only have some kind of lip that stops the mags from going up into the mag well further than they should lol. I was going to take the gun to my gunsmith and see if there was an was solution that could be fabricated so that I can utilize the CMMG mags that I already have, but I was also wondering if there are any other 5.7 AR mags or drum available that would also work?

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I simply messed up
View Quote

Sorry, couldn't resist

I am not familiar with the system you have, but, if the mags are sitting too high perhaps you can modify the magazine or mag catch enough to compensate?

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:45:00 AM EDT
[#2]
A few years ago when CMMG came out with the 5.7 RDB setup I assembled an AR with their 8” barrel/bolt combo.

I used a Mega lower, Aero upper and BCM rail and it went together like any other AR build. I’m using the CMMG

mags that fit a standard AR lower and I have not had any problems.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: moe3161] [#3]
Ah I see exactly what happened you have the first gen mags... I have the second gen mags so they obviously made this change with the Gen 2 mags.

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE..  i tried the CMMG mags on a couple of my other ARs and the mags locked in perfectly on all of them but then I tried my other AR mags on the AR57 and they did the same thing the CMMG mags did. So the problem seems to me be with the mag catch on the gun itself being too recessed to catch the mag which I can actually see.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
That was an old photo.  I have since SBR’d this gun and also have some gen 2 mags.  I went back and read CMMG’s description and
it says to use their upper or a mil spec upper. Not sure why you are having problems.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
moe3161 just saw your update hopefully a new mag catch will fix your problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
yea thats the part that threw me off was because they said designed to work with "CMMG 5.7x28 Radial Delayed Blowback™ Uppers and Mk4/Mil-Spec AR15 lower receivers". But yes I took it back to the shop and they just had to make an minor adjustment and it should be good to go now.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top