Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2024 5:46:57 PM EDT
Not really up on the various types of optics available for use on AR's.  I participate in NRA/CMP High Power Matches and we are allowed to use up to 4.5x power scopes, which I have on my Service Rifle. So... I'm some what up on the use of "traditional scopes (optics).

I've got a 16" barreled AR "carbine" and need some suggestions for an "optic" for it.  Currently I have a Carry Handle on it (with its aperture rear sight). My vision is good but I need "readers" (currently 1.5) for...reading.

At 100 yards (looking thru the sights), without the "readers" I can clearly see the 100 yard bull (12" black) BUT the front post is "fuzzy". WITH the "readers", I can see the front post (clearly) but the bull is "fuzzy".

Use of the gun..... well I'm no Rambo so I doubt I'll be running thru the great outdoors defending...anything.... BUT... I never know what tomorrow brings so.....  The gun won't be used inside my home.... OR at night (BUT... I never know what tomorrow brings so...)  Bottom line is that the gun is MOSTLY a safe Queen  and maybe a once a year out to the range shooter. Being a HP participant, I shoot from position NOT off benches. Slung up not off bi-pods, rests, etc. Doubt the gun will be shot over 200 yards. DON'T want an "overly" information reticle. A DOT and Horseshoe is fine.

But... you never know what tomorrow brings.......

I've got a 3x Prism scope that Cabela's sold about 10 years or so. I've used it on another safe queen AR. I understand it, like the reticle (dot and horseshoe ring). Green and Red.

I'm leaning toward another 3x prism scope...unless someone suggests other wise.... I don't know what alot of the abbreviations mean that I have read browsing thru the various posts.

I don't what alot "stuff" hanging off the gun, ie magnifiers, offset mounts, etc. BUT.... I would like something that is  tuff...what ever that might mean AND that could be removed from its factory installed mounting system  and installed onto another mounting system.

A FIXED power "traditional scope" would be OK.

Pricewise.... around the $350ish level.

Thoughts?

AND... not made in China...if......

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sdc360] [#1]
Sounds like you should look at a 4x lpvo. Lots to choose from and should fix your focus issues. Just enough power to help at 200 and at 1 power its a red dot.

It would also work double duty for high power matches if you wanted it too.

I have a couple older burris tac30's and have been happy with them, useful reticle, decent glass and built like a tank. Currently have one on my deer hunting 350 legend ar.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#2]
OP trust me, guys like us are what red-dots are made for. PA or Aimpoint or other model. I have old eyes myself, 1.75 readers for closeup, and use prescription glasses for everything that's farther than about 100 feet, not a heavy prescription and I can drive without, they just make everything at distance much clearer.

When I wear them to shoot, I can see the target but the sights are a blur, when I take them off sights are clear but target's a blur at 100 yards and farther.

With red-dots, you wear your glasses to shoot with them. It makes the red-dot perfectly clear and the target as well, and you can shoot with both eyes open so your depth perception is much better.

In your case, you should be able to take off the readers and see the dot perfectly clear as well as the target.

Real game-changer/equalizer for folks with some vision challenges. I use PA micro-dots on my rifles and couldn't be happier. Pinging steel at 100 and 200 yards all day with ease.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
While discontinued, the Leupold 2.5x20 seems to fit the bill.

Otherwise, PA micro prisms.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]
How about the Leupold m8 4x?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pureblood] [#6]
If I were you I would buy this scope.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005787397044.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.32.477c18023tHxyR

I have two of them and they are great.

The cost is $125 USD

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Primary Arms 3x micro prism is a great little optic and can be found on the exchange for $200 if you practice some patience.  A sale will get a new one for $250ish.  They have a ocular adjustment for guys like us.  I have an old gen 1 PA 3x X 32, which is larger than the micros, but still small.  Its a great all around optic.  

The other option is a low powered variable optic (LPVO).  The market is awash with 1-6 options within your price range.  Again, I suggest Primary Arms and/or the exchange.  Gun guys change their stuff constantly, so lightly used optics are a plenty.

I highly recommend trying both or either.  I think you'll be happy with both types.  These are wonderful days for AR optic fans.  China , with the right oversight, is making awfully good optics and that puts many within the grasp of working folk.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pureblood:

The cost is $125 USD

https://i.imgur.com/ISXmje2l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oNJZ6fll.jpg
View Quote

Post #12

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/ffp-3-15x32-sfir.354234/

Yeah nah.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
People actually buy $100 scopes from Aliexpress for their ARs?  That's really surprising
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
People actually buy $100 scopes from Aliexpress for their ARs?  That's really surprising
View Quote

Some of the shit that you see on social media posts is amazing.  It is obvious that they never actually USE their shit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure this helps, but I am kinda waiting on the new GLx1 Prism from PA.   I have the SLx and had the GLx2 loved both, as to where they are made at this point in life I could care less.   Lot's of shit from lots of places these days, I guess you can avoid it if you want up to you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
A little above your budget, but you can get a Trijicon 1-4 Huron or Ascent for a little over $400 from Eurooptic.  IMO worth the extra $75.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Fellows... Thanks for the very quick response... You all my heading spinning.  

Keep up with additional suggestions....
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:01:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CATM] [#14]
I'm not ignoring your budget, but for a little more you can score a used Steiner P4XI out of the EE. I think I got mine used for $450-ish here on ARFCOM. So, there are some deals out there, and it is a solid LVPO.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Pureblood:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005787397044.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.32.477c18023tHxyR

The cost is $125 USD

https://i.imgur.com/ISXmje2l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oNJZ6fll.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
While i love the PA microprisms imho the are much better suited for steel or run n gun stuff than bullseye shooting.

I would go with a up to 4x lpvo
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By -Nick-:
A little above your budget, but you can get a Trijicon 1-4 Huron or Ascent for a little over $400 from Eurooptic.  IMO worth the extra $75.
View Quote

This makes the most sense to me. Or maybe a used tr24.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
While discontinued, the Leupold 2.5x20 seems to fit the bill.

Otherwise, PA micro prisms.
View Quote

I didn't know that, I have one on my main AR and want another for a levergun. I like it, can shoot with both eyes open but haven't stretched it out at all. I can see the reticle fine inside at night with my weapon light on, I need to find somewhere I can actually shoot at night.

I also have a discontinued mildot Mark AR 3-9 lined up to replace a Vortex HD LH 2-10. I haven't shot the scope yet but it looks great and I think I can shoot with both eyes open at 3x. I don't think 9x or 10x will be overkill at 200 yards. I need to finish the rifle it's intended for though I have considered putting it on my main AR and the 2.5 on the levergun.

Originally Posted By 03RN:
How about the Leupold m8 4x?
View Quote

I want one of those as well, but OP could also consider the various 1.x-4 Leupolds. I wish I'd gotten a Freedom 1.5-4 when they were $190-200, not sure they're worth $300 compared to the alternatives.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:30:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#19]
EuroOptics sell the Vortex Ranger 1-4 and seems well suited to OP.  The Ranger used to be a PST but was discontinued and now only sold to specific dealers.   The Ranger 1-4 is or was manufactured in the Philippines but get good reviews with the full Vortex warranty.   This is a real good scope for $270.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Ranger-1-4x24-Rifle-Scope-TMCQ-MOA-RGR-1401.aspx

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have to agree with those suggesting a good 1-4 LVPO. All of the ones mentioned are within your performance criteria - the main thing for you is to decide on what reticle your like the best and if you want MOA VS Milrad.

I really like 1-4x Vortex Viper PST Gen1 (now called Ranger as vascar2 mentioned).  The glass is quite good and I like the reticle (MOA) but it came in both MOA and Milrad (back then). I prefer exposed turrets, I think its easier to adjust the clicks I need and not use holdovers.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top