BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I have swapped out my X300 at 12 o’clock for a Scout Pro at 11 o’clock for better switching ergonomics. I am thinking about putting an X300V back on the top rail to use with constant on with NODS.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MONGO45] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
@mongo45

Should I get an x300T?  Is that an A or B?  I like the quick removal of the A but B seems better for AR rail.

Seems like X300U is better @ closer ranges, Turbo at longer.   Seems like a defensive gun benefits from the Ultra?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/x300_jpg-3002641.JPG
View Quote

I prefer the B model for ARs and the A model on my Glocks

The U is sufficient for most defensive rifle uses but the Turbo is better to add throw for ID at distance

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
I don't have any Surefires, but I do have some two TLR-RM2's, two TLR-HL's, and a TLR-RM2 Laser. (I just swapped out a TLR-RM2 for a green laser version).

So far, my favorite position without a doubt is 12:00.  Easy to use with either hand, no worries about blocking the light on a barrier (like at the 6:00 spot).  Equally useful around corners.

With the TLR-RM2's, I'm tempted to get rid of the tape switch since there is a push button on the back of the lights.

https://i.imgur.com/GdpnqcO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2bMd15x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/glOj1sp.jpg

The only potential downfall I see with 12:00 (for me) is that I don't have back-up irons with this set-up.  Looks like Surefires have a way around this.
View Quote

@panthermark

Not sure why you think you can't run a BUIS with a 1200 mounted TLR1-HL

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

@panthermark

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177960/Screenshot_20231101_225409_Photos_jpg-3012793.JPG
View Quote

My tape switch is at 12:00 as well.  Not sure if it would fit behind the sight the way it is mounted.  I would probably run out of room.  Might look into it on longer builds.
My other AR's have the TLR-RM2 lasers instead of the TRL1-HL's.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]

My tape switch is at 12:00 as well.  Not sure if it would fit behind the sight the way it is mounted.  I would probably run out of room.  Might look into it on longer builds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@panthermark

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177960/Screenshot_20231101_225409_Photos_jpg-3012793.JPG

Why are you running a tape switch on something that short though? And why do you think that switching to an X300 would solve that problem?
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Why are you running a tape switch on something that short though? And why do you think that switching to an X300 would solve that problem?
View Quote

I wasn't planning on switching to an X300, I was just (originally) pointing out that I ran a similar type light (the TLR) at 12:0).

As for the tape switch, there are a couple of reasons.

1. I do not like the standard toggles on the TLRHL1 on a rifle.  The weapon that it is currently mounted on has a LAW folder and an ARIC, so it is meant to go in a bag or backpack.  The standard toggles are too easy to trigger in a bag.  I've also had another rifle lean against my TLR1HL in the safe, and turn the light on....which killed the batteries.  There is no simple way to the light "off".  Both the TLR RM2's and a tape switch for the TLR1HL have fixes for that.   The TRL RM2 has a thumb button, and also has a function where a 1/4 turn of the bezel turns the light all the way off.

For the TLR1HL, there are 3 different endcaps, and the one I like the most does not use the "spring toggle" function, it is a firm "click" for ON, OFF, and SWITCH.  The other end cap is like the standard version, only one side is for the tape switch plug, so you can't use it with either thumb.  When using a tape switch and the click endcap, you can turn the light off, and you don't have to worry about accidental discharge.

Standard end cap

Tape switch end cap (spring function)

Tape switch end cap (click function)

2 . I find it easier to manipulate a tape switch over the toggles.   I just use my thumb to press down switch, and it is still ambidextrous (as opposed to pushing up on the standard TLR1HL end cap, or raising my thumb really high to push down on it).   I also also turn the light all way off (or on) with a firm click with my thumb.

If you look at where my switch is mounted vs where your VFG is, we both place are hands/thumb in the same area on shorties.

Attachment Attached File

With that said, I'm slowly moving over to TLR-RM2 with lasers anyway.  But the TLR-HL's will go on handguns or builds I don't use much.

Still, 12 o'clock is best o'clock.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 9:52:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#7]
I bought a Cloud Defensive Rein Micro 3.0 to try out but I'm back in the fold with an X300 Turbo.

The Rein is a great light but one thing that really bugged me was the massive suppressor shadow that eats into your horizontal peripheral vision at - even with an extended mount.  Up close and inside not a big issue but when you're putting the light out at 50-100Y the shadow is pretty huge. I'll try to get pics tonight.

I also found I prefer the forward press momentary of the x300 over the downward pressure on tape switch. Could be just what I'm used too though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:00:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#8]
If you’re not using an MFAL at 12 o’clock, I really think an X300T is the way to go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#9]
The Modlite PDW looks cool, if only it wasn't made by Modlite.

Thanks for the side by side pics on the Turbo, I'll go that way. I always like the 12 o'clock X300U interface but the throw wasn't great for a carbine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
If you’re not using an MFAL at 12 o’clock, I really think an X300T is the way to go.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/ECA0425B-8CBF-45E4-B744-FEFB0942B359_jpe-3030568.JPG
View Quote

What are those two uppers?  The FA sits a lot farther back on one of them.  What is the difference?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]

What are those two uppers?  The FA sits a lot farther back on one of them.  What is the difference?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/ECA0425B-8CBF-45E4-B744-FEFB0942B359_jpe-3030568.JPG

Bottom one is a standard forged upper, top is Noveske Gen 4.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:32:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#12]
Hope to do some more night shooting with my x300T this weekend
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#13]
I run a TLR RM at 12 o'clock without issue
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top