Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1083 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
That's awesome.  I will take you up in that offer next time we both have a Saturday or Sunday free to burn. I honestly thought you had an nt4. The lower back pressure is a nice plus, but I already have the qdss on all but 1. Wouldn't take much to swap em all for 3p's. I will definitely end up with multiple cans, knowing my impulsivity, but don't want more than 1 suppressor in each caliber 556, 762, 9,45. Things would get outta hand quick if I started buying multiples. Although an nt4 and sb would make the perfect pair. Then it'll be "oh, I may as well build a mk12 and get an aem5 while I'm at it.
That's what I'm afraid of.

Socom sb pros:
1.) lower back pressure.
2.) improved mounting
3.) cheaper
4.) I love to giggle like a little girl

socom sb cons:
1.) not an nt4
2.) not a socom rc
3.) only partial credit for clone correctness
4.) none I can think of

nt4 pros:
1.) it's an nt4
2.) I already have 3 mounts.
3.) its an nt4
4.) Its correct clone wise.

nt4 cons:
1.) price
2.) availability can be hit or miss. Get one when you can find it.
3.) longer?
4.) slightly heavier? Can't remember if they ended up being really close with mounts added.

well, it seems that however awesome the nt4 is, it'd mostly be an impulse buy based on it being an nt4. The sb, while not technically correct, is damn close enough, and will be cheaper and easier on my rifles. Now that I think I have my mind made up, watch em be out of stock
View Quote
I'm about %90 sure im going with an NT4 at this point. The durability, "lower tone", and lower chance of getting stuck were the selling points for me

Will probably get an RC2 at some point, but the NT4 is calling my name
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:59:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SurtrsFire] [#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
make more mk18 and mk12 videos.

that is all.

Originally Posted By drago6:

I'm about %90 sure im going with an NT4 at this point. The durability, "lower tone", and lower chance of getting stuck were the selling points for me

Will probably get an RC2 at some point, but the NT4 is calling my name
friend got his rc2 stuck on my mk18 upper today, had to shoot it off with the collar loose.

it landed in a pile of coyote shit and got inside the can.

i dont want to be there when he shoots it again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn., that's makin my brain hurt. I think I know what I want, then I go back and look at the ad for the taupe nt4, and then this!  Damn! Man, nfa sucks.  If it weren't for the year long commitment, and yellow tape and paper work, it'd be a way easier decision. I feel like no matter what I commit to, while impatiently waiting, I'll prob purchase the other as well. But I think that's a safe bet. I don't see myself ever regretting the nt4, crept for the $. They say buy once cry once, well, in the clone world that's like every purchase.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:36:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#4]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:

make more mk18 and mk12 videos.

that is all.

friend got his rc2 stuck on my mk18 upper today, had to shoot it off with the collar loose.

i dont want to be there when he shoots it again.
View Quote
That's great. Anyone have issues with the nt4 gate latch system? Does that one commonly get gummed up? I know it's a common suppressor issue, but comparatively, which is less troublesome in that regard?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of POI shift does the nt4 cause on 10.3" barrels?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#7]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
What kind of POI shift does the nt4 cause on 10.3" barrels?
View Quote
Mine is .75 mil low and .25 mil right  @ 100m.

Edit: fat fingered the .25 mil.  Fixed now..
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Among my selection of cans I have five various Surefire SOCOM’s.  I’ve yet to get one stuck.  I think my trick is not moving hot cans between rifles.  Only time I’ve seen it happen was a buddy moved his Omega from his AR10 to a bolt gun after it was hot.  Required some serious wrenching and a vice on the muzzle device to get it loose....

Also, Dyz, I don’t have an NT4 but I do have a Griffin M4SDK.  It’s mount system design is suspiciously close to the NT4.  Based on it and playing with an NT4 on an SOT buddies rifle I think it would take a tremendous amount of carbon to make it stick.  There is a decent amount of play in both mounts though.  SOCOM mounts up tight.

Since we’re posting pics of our can collections...

This is an older pic.  It’s grown since then.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By compuvette:
Among my selection of cans I have five various Surefire SOCOM’s.  I’ve yet to get one stuck.  I think my trick is not moving hot cans between rifles.  Only time I’ve seen it happen was a buddy moved his Omega from his AR10 to a bolt gun after it was hot.  Required some serious wrenching and a vice on the muzzle device to get it loose....

Also, Dyz, I don’t have an NT4 but I do have a Griffin M4SDK.  It’s mount system design is suspiciously close to the NT4.  Based on it and playing with an NT4 on an SOT buddies rifle I think it would take a tremendous amount of carbon to make it stick.  There is a decent amount of play in both mounts though.  SOCOM mounts up tight.

https://i.imgur.com/CGTln54.jpg

View Quote
Besides the fact we can’t have supressors in this state, I’ll go be poor somewhere else
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
That's 6k in stamps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Hate when all you big boys post those pics. Makes me feel like a peon in the nfa game.

Totally jealous.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Hate when all you big boys post those pics. Makes me feel like a peon in the nfa game.

Totally jealous.
View Quote
Don't feel bad...I thought I had a good collection and mine isn't  30 deep by any means....
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
Besides the fact we can’t have supressors in this state, I’ll go be poor somewhere else
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

Samesies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Among my selection of cans I have five various Surefire SOCOM's.  I've yet to get one stuck.  I think my trick is not moving hot cans between rifles.  Only time I've seen it happen was a buddy moved his Omega from his AR10 to a bolt gun after it was hot.  Required some serious wrenching and a vice on the muzzle device to get it loose....

Also, Dyz, I don't have an NT4 but I do have a Griffin M4SDK.  It's mount system design is suspiciously close to the NT4.  Based on it and playing with an NT4 on an SOT buddies rifle I think it would take a tremendous amount of carbon to make it stick.  There is a decent amount of play in both mounts though.  SOCOM mounts up tight.

Since we're posting pics of our can collections...

This is an older pic.  It's grown since then.....
View Quote
That's impressive. And it's grown? I agree, the m4sd design is reminiscent of the nt4. I always thought there was a resemblance. That's about the closest lookalike there is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
That's impressive. And it's grown? I agree, the m4sd design is reminiscent of the nt4. I always thought there was a resemblance. That's about the closest lookalike there is.
View All Quotes
Among my selection of cans I have five various Surefire SOCOM's.  I've yet to get one stuck.  I think my trick is not moving hot cans between rifles.  Only time I've seen it happen was a buddy moved his Omega from his AR10 to a bolt gun after it was hot.  Required some serious wrenching and a vice on the muzzle device to get it loose....

Also, Dyz, I don't have an NT4 but I do have a Griffin M4SDK.  It's mount system design is suspiciously close to the NT4.  Based on it and playing with an NT4 on an SOT buddies rifle I think it would take a tremendous amount of carbon to make it stick.  There is a decent amount of play in both mounts though.  SOCOM mounts up tight.

Since we're posting pics of our can collections...

This is an older pic.  It's grown since then.....
Griffin makes a few things that appear to be "inspired" by KAC products.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote
Inspired is a funny way to say outright copied then threatened to sue anyone who called them out

Oh did I say that out loud
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Inspired is a funny way to say outright copied then threatened to sue anyone who called them out

View All Quotes

That's why I used the quotation marks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
It’s grown a little since that pic.  I can honestly say the M4SDK is a great “general purpose” can.  I love it on my Mk18.  Using a Griffin single port brake (for a more consistent mount than an A2) I’ve had good repeatability.  The mount really does work well but it’s got a LOT more movement than I’d like.  The Surefires lock up solid.  No rotation or wobble at all.  The Surefires have lower back pressure than anything else I’ve got and the repeatability is awesome.  Honestly I use the Mini’s more than any other rifle can.  Nice and short, plus they take the bite out of SBR’s.  I can just wear plugs and be totally comfortable.

If I could only have one of my 556 cans I’d have a Surefire Mini.  I know it’s not clone correct but it does everything I want it to do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Finally got around to swapping out the knights rear sight for a matech.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Spooled:
That's odd, at least the pin is solid, my old one broke like 5 of them because of the loose fitting latch. Standard latch has been trouble free so far at least.

i picked up a g handle yesterday and am tempted to run it on the cqbr lol...
View Quote
What would be most clone correct in terms of a charging handle? How did Raptor make it's way into the game and would G be completely wrong?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#21]

It's grown a little since that pic.  I can honestly say the M4SDK is a great "general purpose" can.  I love it on my Mk18.  Using a Griffin single port brake (for a more consistent mount than an A2) I've had good repeatability.  The mount really does work well but it's got a LOT more movement than I'd like.  The Surefires lock up solid.  No rotation or wobble at all.  The Surefires have lower back pressure than anything else I've got and the repeatability is awesome.  Honestly I use the Mini's more than any other rifle can.  Nice and short, plus they take the bite out of SBR's.  I can just wear plugs and be totally comfortable.

If I could only have one of my 556 cans I'd have a Surefire Mini.  I know it's not clone correct but it does everything I want it to do.
View Quote
I've thought about gettin mini before. I know there's pics of the mini monster out there. There's gotta pics of the mini in use too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:

What would be most clone correct in terms of a charging handle? How did Raptor make it's way into the game and would G be completely wrong?
View Quote
The gas buster is the issued handle so it is the most correct.

CD posted a pic of some national guard cqbrs sporting raptors so they became an in the wild used part.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Order of clones for charging handles
1.  Standard USGI
2.  PRI (SOCOM)
3.  Raptor (National Guard bought)
4.  Geissele (just coming on line in the URGI)

CD
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
1.  Standard USGI
2.  PRI (SOCOM)

CD
View Quote
Geissele will be clone correct?

One less thing for you guys to give me shit about when I finally post pics
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I've thought about gettin mini before. I know there's pics of the mini monster out there. There's gotta pics of the mini in use too.
View Quote
C-D has posted pics of the Mini-Monster in theatre.  I’ve got a Mini-Monster in Black and a Mini in FDE.  Also have a matched set of SB’s.  Black and Tan FTW.

Seriously though, I use the Mini Surefires more than any other of my 556 cans.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#28]
The NT4 carbon build up is between the flash hider and can, not the gate.

The SF cans I have, have never needed to be shot off. But I've yet to shoot with someone with a SOCOM that I couldn't remove it by just having the gun between my legs and wiggling the can off. I've done it both hot and cold to see if makes a huge difference.

Surefire (This had like a couple ounces of carbon build up on it)

NT4

Brand new weight:

Like 15-20K rounds
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 4:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#29]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2933/33422750680_d3fa4d89da_c.jpg

The SF cans I have, have never needed to be shot off. But I've yet to shoot with someone with a SOCOM that I couldn't remove it by just having the gun between my legs and wiggling the can off. I've done it both hot and cold to see if makes a huge difference.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/29525716882_e65fef5a86_c.jpg

NT4
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8533/29601394796_277233e73b_c.jpg

Brand new weight:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3928/15437863295_d9fd0e5113_c.jpg

Like 15-20K rounds
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4767/39477342195_a57c4512af_c.jpg
View Quote
Solid info ECP.  I guess I should have clarified on the Griffin.  Same thing.  The carbon builds up on the mount and against the can.  No buildup around the latch.  Interesting to see the NT4 and the SOCOM are so close in weight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wormydog1987] [#30]
Macushla

Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2933/33422750680_d3fa4d89da_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/29525716882_e65fef5a86_c.jpg

NT4
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8533/29601394796_277233e73b_c.jpg

Brand new weight:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3928/15437863295_d9fd0e5113_c.jpg

Like 15-20K rounds
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4767/39477342195_a57c4512af_c.jpg
View Quote
That's the weight comparison I remembered. A fouled Surefire plus mount is close to the new nt4 plus mount. I would venture to say most issues with stuck cans is related to swapping hosts while in use. Different metals at different temps expanding and contracting at different intervals is askin for a stuck can. Weight isn't a huge issue for me (if it were I picked the wrong rifle to clone) so what it really comes down to is do I want to pay more for a Kac product (I would) or should I go cheaper and not be as concerned with correctness with the socom sb. Either way I'll be ecstatic just to be in the process of gettin one. I spent a lot of effort researching form 1 suppressors a while back and almost went through with it till I did all the math. To build a good one, you may as well go with an AAC m4 2000 or equivalent price. Just a little more and yer in the Surefire sale price range. I may revisit form 1 again down the line. There is one company that produces excellent quality components in titanium, stainless, and aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Not sure how people get them stuck, I have shot hundreds of rounds in the same session between 3 muzzle devices with no issues.

maybe I just get lucky
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#33]
If you like clones, I know most people wished they'd gotten the correct cans later down the road. For what it's worth and who I've talked to.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#34]
If you like clones, I know most people wished they'd gotten the correct cans later down the road. For what it's worth and who I've talked to.
View Quote
This 100%. I have an SiCo Omega just rolling around because of this very reason, and now I find myself looking for the harder to find cans like an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Spooled:
Not sure how people get them stuck, I have shot hundreds of rounds in the same session between 3 muzzle devices with no issues.

maybe I just get lucky
View Quote
Same, I've used the same can between 2 different rifles, and never had it stick. Granted both were using SF4P's, so I dunno if that has anything to do with it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

Same, I've used the same can between 2 different rifles, and never had it stick. Granted both were using SF4P's, so I dunno if that has anything to do with it?
View Quote
I have used 3 different guns in 1 sitting with a closed tine, 3p and brake.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Friend and I put about 1500 rds through my gun and his surefire refused to budge
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Originally Posted By vanquishings:

This 100%. I have an SiCo Omega just rolling around because of this very reason, and now I find myself looking for the harder to find cans like an idiot.
View Quote
Let's just say there's a reason 3 of my rifles are outfitted with the qdss. I've been lookin at for some time now, and I'm finally in a position to move some things around and make it happen. Plus if it's like everything else, I'm sure I'll be getting more cans once I get over the initial purchase. My block 1 and block 2 are beggin for an nt4. And since I built them with that suppressor in mind, it's really a no brainer.   Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:33:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#39]
Originally Posted By Wormydog1987:
Macushla

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1944/44128994425_397d996ac4_z.jpg
View Quote
Oh snap, you got it! Did you swap out the qrp for the Kac? Looks good. Those Kac mounts are pretty sharp lookin.  I thought it looked pretty mean with the qrp too. The combo I've got comin has the optic (2moa comp m3) on a twist mount, the manifyer is in a pvs14 mount, and they are both mounted on an lt-110.  But honestly Id like to have the larue fts mount for the 3x. Looks  like I'll have an extra Ecos-c for ole' milspecs 552.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh snap, you got it! Did you swap out the qrp for the Kac? Looks good. I thought it looked pretty mean with the qrp too. The one I've got comin has the optic (2moa comp m3) on a twist mount, the manifyer is in a pvs14 mount, and they are both mounted on an lt-110.  Looks like I'll have an extra Ecos-c for ole' milspecs 552.
View Quote
Yep I got it today. The QRP might be more cLoNe, but... KAC. Lol.

I thought I was getting an M2, like what the ad said. But it’s really a ML3. Not real happy about that, like come on you don’t even know what you’re selling? He offered to swap it for an M2 he supposedly has but I’m not waiting for it, especially since he was so damn slow shipping in the first place. I’ll just use it I guess. Looks the same, works the same except for NV compatibility. Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: big_aug] [#41]
This bad boy came today.  Almost got all my parts to assemble.

DD MK18
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#42]
1.  Standard USGI
2.  PRI (SOCOM)

CD
View Quote
I fell for the meme and got a Gas Buster in FDE. I like it. I think all the M84s I've ever seen on Mod 1s are black. Do I shame family with my incorrectness, or do I enjoy my nice tan charging handle with confidence?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By bones-tx:

I fell for the meme and got a Gas Buster in FDE. I like it. I think all the M84s I've ever seen on Mod 1s are black. Do I shame family with my incorrectness, or do I enjoy my nice tan charging handle with confidence?
View Quote
Enjoy it as there are many rattle canned M84s.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#44]
1.  Standard USGI
2.  PRI (SOCOM)

CD
View Quote
I'm at a struggle between being correct and cost efficiency. I'm sure the answer is USGI but I want something more legit then that, given I'd like to prepare for a can despite Illinois not allowing them.

I get discounts with Geissele but don't want to stray this block ii build too far into the future...
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#45]

I'm at a struggle between being correct and cost efficiency. I'm sure the answer is USGI but I want something more legit then that, given I'd like to prepare for a can despite Illinois not allowing them.

I get discounts with Geissele but don't want to stray this block ii build too far into the future...
View Quote
Once the URGI's get more into the system this fall, there will be cross pollination as with any procured parts/systems  Now if you want to clone a specified year/event then go with either USGI or PRI.

CD
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#46]
Well, holy fuck! My stamp for the RC came in today :D!!

My FFL/SOT tried to give me a heart attack with the subject line, "Dude, you got denied!" :\.

I'm going to try and pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully, that means the CQBR Form 1 is already approved or I can get it approved very soon by applying this background check approval to it. About fuckin' time! Woot!
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By krdt:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/7528819f1bcc9a212d5c23be19be5bf6/tenor.gif?itemid=8120829

My FFL/SOT tried to give me a heart attack with the subject line, "Dude, you got denied!" :\.

I'm going to try and pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully, that means the CQBR Form 1 is already approved or I can get it approved very soon by applying this background check approval to it. About fuckin' time! Woot!
View Quote
When you go pick it up, study some part of it very closely and ask him if this is right. Get him to look at it real close, then whack him right in the dome with it and say "don't ever fuck around with my NFA shit"
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#48]
When you go pick it up, study some part of it very closely and ask him if this is right. Get him to look at it real close, then whack him right in the dome with it and say "don't ever fuck around with my NFA shit"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By krdt:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/7528819f1bcc9a212d5c23be19be5bf6/tenor.gif?itemid=8120829

Haha, no doubt. Ain't no room for jokey joke man after a 307 day wait :\.

I just hope the F1 is soon to follow - CQBR wants a SOPMOD or Colt N1 to go with the RC :D.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 6:37:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#50]

View Quote
You will want a PRI. The day will come when you can’t get a round out of the chamber. You will have to mortar it on cement. The stock latch will make this VERY difficult. With an extended latch like the PRI it will most likely work on the first slam. USGI with gloves on, not so much.

In addition to that a PRI with RTV is much easier to shoot quick without gas in your eyes.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1083 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top