Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2024 9:46:50 PM EDT
If I have a red dotted 11.5 AR, for close and fast work, would it be stupid to have my bolt action have the same length barrel to match its ballistics ?
An idea has been pecking at me about this, yes velocity is king, why not leave it long as I have the short AR..
I like the idea of matching ballistics even though the bolt action would be meant for longer ranges (300 yards max) scoped and better accuracy is mainly the use for it, add a suppressor (pinned and welded for one tax stamp) and it's no longer than the factory setup , Ruger American Ranch 5.56 .
Stupid idea ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Southerncomfort32344:
If I have a red dotted 11.5 AR, for close and fast work, would it be stupid to have my bolt action have the same length barrel to match its ballistics ?
An idea has been pecking at me about this, yes velocity is king, why not leave it long as I have the short AR..
I like the idea of matching ballistics even though the bolt action would be meant for longer ranges (300 yards max) scoped and better accuracy is mainly the use for it, add a suppressor (pinned and welded for one tax stamp) and it's no longer than the factory setup , Ruger American Ranch 5.56 .
Stupid idea ?
View Quote

Let's unpack this a little?  

If you are going to P/W a suppressor to make 16, I am down with the short barrel.

But, if the bolt gun is not going to be permanently suppressed it makes zero sense to diminish downrange performance to match close range trajectory of another weapon.  ZERO!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
5.56?

You are overthinking it.  Leave the bolt action longer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah with the suppressor permanently attached it would keep it from being overly long, and the "idea" of having the same ballistic trajectory is nice and simple. But most likely over thinking it. Just wanted to toss the idea.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top