Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2024 3:08:44 PM EDT
Hey all, sharing a magazine storage idea that I don't know if anybody else has shared.

I call these go boxes.  You start with a run-of-the-mill Cabela's dry box (the ones they usually give you free with bulk ammo purchases) and four (4) military surplus 6-mag bandoliers.  As you know, these bandoliers are usually pretty cheap, especially the ACU ones.

Anyways, it's pretty simple.  Load your magazines, put them in the bandos, and then load them in the dry box.  Each go box will hold 4 bandoliers, so 24 total magazines and 720 total loaded rounds.  by folding the bandoliers and placing in the box as shown, you can also make it so all 4 bandos are accessible.

My picture shows them alternative being upside down and right side up.  This is only necessary with PMags due to the added width of the floor plate.  Regular USGI mags do not need to be alternated.

The advantages is that the box holds 720 rounds, which is still a good bit of ammunition without being unwieldy.  Yet, you can also distribute out each bando for even greater portability.  And all the ammo is loaded in mags, ready to go.

I have 4 bandos left over from my packing that I am selling if you're interested - https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/WTS-6-Mag-Bandoliers-ACU-x-4/90-2422151/

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#1]
If you don't mind an experienced suggestion - a better alternative is a .50 cal Ammo can + two bandoliers + 14 loaded magazines.

A Steel .50 can is much more durable & better sealed than a fragile plastic box and the weight is more easily managed too.

A USGI standard .50 MG can will hold TWO of the USGI 6 magazine 30 round mag bandoliers (180 rounds each + TWO extra 30 round magazines "loose" on top to insert into rifle for TWO SETS of Seven magazines (210 rounds) for each of TWO people when "Fo Time" arrives all out of just 1 easy to carry can.

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
If you don't mind an experienced suggestion - a better alternative is a .50 cal Ammo can + two bandoliers + 14 loaded magazines.

A Steel .50 can is much more durable & better sealed than a fragile plastic box and the weight is more easily managed too.

A USGI standard .50 MG can will hold TWO of the USGI 6 magazine 30 round mag bandoliers (180 rounds each + TWO extra 30 round magazines "loose" on top to insert into rifle for TWO SETS of Seven magazines (210 rounds) for each of TWO people when "Fo Time" arrives all out of just 1 easy to carry can.

Bigger_Hammer

View Quote
Yeah I played around a lot with the metal cans and just couldn't find anything that fit what I was trying to accomplish.

I totally agree that the surplus metal cans are far more rugged.

I didn't want anything loose in the can, which is why I came up with this.

How did you orient the bandoliers in your setup? Side by side?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I just use the magazine bags from Midway.
It can fit 12 AR mags and a few pistol mags.
Comes with a shoulder strap that will fit around a plate carrier.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939360569?pid=972430

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
I just use the magazine bags from Midway.
It can fit 12 AR mags and a few pistol mags.
Comes with a shoulder strap that will fit around a plate carrier.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939360569?pid=972430

View Quote
Yup, have several of those. It's actually possible to fit 18 USGI mags in one of those.

They are great in certain situations but I see two problems with them. They can get pretty heavy when loaded up and I worry about the seams where the shoulder strap is attached. Second, I don't feel like they would be very good to "fight" from. Once you open it up and take a mag or two out, it's like you're gonna be carrying all your mags in a diaper.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lone_Gringo] [#5]
I used the same type bandolier and 6 loaded mags then stuffed 2 bandoliers into a fat 50 cal can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobinNC] [#6]
I buy theses by the bunch, for ammo, loose mags and full mags. And it's hard to beat the price of $39.99, with 3 AC50 ammo cans plus a crate,  with free shipping if you have a Amazon Prime account.

And the boxes stack neatly in the crate, and the crate rides neatly in my truck bed as well.  Metal is fine for going to war, and flinging them out of a jeep, humvee or truck.

I just want something to hold my sh_t, that also doesn't leave rust stains when I bring it into my carpeted gun room (keeps the boss happy). And the better looking metal 50 cal cans aren't cheap any more...

MTM AC3C 3-Can Ammo Crate, 50 Caliber,

For those that's wondering the steel 50 cal cans inside dimensions are:

50 Cal: 10.875" Long x 6.875" Tall x 5.75" Wide

The MTM 50 Cal plastic wonders are: 11" Long  x 7.2" Tall x 5.8" Wide

So close enough for government work.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BobinNC:
I buy theses by the bunch, for ammo, loose mags and full mags. And it's hard to beat the price of $39.99, with 3 AC50 ammo cans plus a crate,  with free shipping if you have a Amazon Prime account.

View Quote

I bought (3) of those crates in 2019 for $20-$25/each, so I can’t stomach the $40 price today. However, they are well constructed and some of my favorite for ammunition storage.

I recently sourced some cheaper made crate/can combinations from Costco that have the crate and (4) smaller cans that were $20/each.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LipschitzWrath:
Yeah I played around a lot with the metal cans and just couldn't find anything that fit what I was trying to accomplish.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LipschitzWrath:
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Bigger_Hammer

What were your findings using a Fat 50 can?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:

View Quote

Here you go.

Grade 1 Fat 50 PA108 USA Made 5.56 SAW Ammo Cans

FAT 50 CAL AMMO CAN USED GRADE 1/LOCKING HARDWARE KIT COMBO

U.S. Military PA108 Fat 50 SAW Box Ammo Can, Used
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:

View Quote
The SAW cans were too small to get 4 bandoliers in. Too narrow.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobinNC] [#11]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

I bought (3) of those crates in 2019 for $20-$25/each, so I can’t stomach the $40 price today. However, they are well constructed and some of my favorite for ammunition storage.

I recently sourced some cheaper made crate/can combinations from Costco that have the crate and (4) smaller cans that were $20/each.
View Quote

Midway wants $49.99 plus shipping for the same thing, so $39.99 appears quite reasonable in 2024.

The good old days of 2019 aren't coming back again.....

Pity I don't have a Costco within 60 miles, as their $20. combo sounds good.

Edit:  I just looked up Costco and those set of 4 plus crates are now $29.99 plus shipping to me.....

Greenmade Store-All Storage Crate, 4-pack

Amazon sells the same set as Costco for $8 green backs more....

GREENMADE Multi-Purpose Storage Boxes All Crate Ammo/Tackle Organizing units 4 Pack Made in USA, Brown
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#12]
We g to Costco all the time, gonna have to look for that!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I scored two of the sets from Costco today for $19.99:

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BobinNC:

Same same, I got a bunch at pre-covid prices and am luckily stacked pretty deep.  Those + lots of surplus 50cal metal ones I got even dirt cheaper way back in the day
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mick214:

https://i.postimg.cc/kMbSPyKZ/Ammo-Cans.jpg
View Quote

What if I need to access one of the cans on the bottom?

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PALADIN-hgwt:

What if I need to access one of the cans on the bottom?

Paladin
View Quote

They are separate stackable trays that hold four ammo cans each.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
How strong is the tray?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
i wonder if they stack with the MTM ones?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Yup. 19.99 in late 2019. Glad I picked up a few then. Should have gotten more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I was bestowed one of these Costco units for my birthday courtesy of a fellow ARFCOM member.

Unfortunately not filled with ammo, magazines, or loaded magazines.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top