Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2024 6:23:50 PM EDT
I installed a pair of Magpul MBUS flip up sights on a 308 AR with a high-profile receiver/handguard. I had to run the adjustment all the way down to get them to zero. Is this normal since they are normally used on 5.56 height upper?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Hopefully my quick MS Paint helps the understanding. Black = bore line. Greens are different rail heights. Yellows are the sight heights, with the rear being fixed.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Yes.

Hopefully my quick MS Paint helps the understanding. Black = bore line. Greens are different rail heights. Yellows are the sight heights, with the rear being fixed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/Iron_Sight_Height_fixed_rear_MS_Paint_jp-3120419.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for taking the time to explain it!
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
At what distance did you zero at?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:
View Quote

This ^^^

Also, is the receiver rail and the handguard rail equal height?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

This ^^^

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

This ^^^

50 yards and yes receiver and rail equal height.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#6]
That may be due to variances in your particular barrel and/or handguard as much as anything because the zero settings on your sights should be more or less identical if the only variable changing is 1/8 inch or so in height of the surface they’re mounted to (as long as the height of that surface is varied identically front and rear). Basically what I’m saying is that if I could put a perfectly uniform 1/8 inch height spacer underneath the front and rear mbus sights on my AR there would be minimal (maybe none?) change in the zero. That’s assuming the only variable changed was their height.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GRMGR1:
That may be due to variances in your particular barrel and/or handguard as much as anything because the zero settings on your sights should be more or less identical if the only variable changing is 1/8 inch or so in height of the surface they’re mounted to (as long as the height of that surface is varied identically front and rear). Basically what I’m saying is that if I could put a perfectly uniform 1/8 inch height spacer underneath the front and rear mbus sights on my AR there would be minimal (maybe none?) change in the zero. That’s assuming the only variable changed was their height.
View Quote

Agree, rail height shouldn't matter, as long as the rails are equal height and parallel.  I would put a straight edge on the top rails to make sure that there isn't some slope in the handguard.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top