Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 906
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Augee:

Love the rifle, but dude, you need to do something about those wires.  

You might consider flipping the RMT switch around, and loop the wires back around it to help tame the wires a little, if you use the other plug, you can keep the ergonomics identical in terms of which button activates the light.  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Love the rifle, but dude, you need to do something about those wires.  

You might consider flipping the RMT switch around, and loop the wires back around it to help tame the wires a little, if you use the other plug, you can keep the ergonomics identical in terms of which button activates the light.  

~Augee

That's a great idea, my dude. I didn't think about that. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What a great recommendation! I didn't even think about that. Thanks, my dude.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cschelk2:
Would the SF 3 prong flash hider install and function fine with a crush washer (rather than the timing shims) if there is no intention of using a suppressor?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cschelk2:
Would the SF 3 prong flash hider install and function fine with a crush washer (rather than the timing shims) if there is no intention of using a suppressor?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NateDS2K] [#5]
Well after lurking for the better part of two years I figure it is time. This is my first AR and I tried to stay as close to "spec" as possible. Thanks for all the inspiration guys. Now I need to stay out of the mk18 and mk12 threads...

(Sorry for crappy potato pic...)

Another crappy pic. Prior to switching out the 553 for the EXPS and magnifier combo

Lower:
- Colt "M4A1" marked lower
- Geissele SSA
- Gen. 1 FDE LMT SOPMOD stock
- CQD sling plate

Upper:
- DD RIS II (Duh)
- Colt upper W/ all Colt parts (teardrop FA, ejection port cover, ETC)
- 14.5 SOCOM barrel
- SF3P (Pinned)
- PRI Gas Buster FDE (Birthday present from wife, she thought "I would want the one that matches everything else." She means well)
- CQD sling mount
- KAC taupe front sight
- KAC 2-600m micro

Optics:
- Eotech EXPS 3
- Eotech G33 magnifier

Other:
-Surefire 952v on HSP Thorntail mount
- Magpul AFG 2
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Found a moment to do some plinking.  

Realized I'd forgotten to bring something to wrap the suppressor with before putting it back up.

Found an old oven mitt in the trunk and turned it inside out.  

Giving the CTR yet another try...

With little sister:

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#7]
*sigh* why do I read these threads...

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Pook2:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2cdy7lv.jpg
View Quote

I used to ask that question. I realized I'm just a glutton for punishment.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:14:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaston4] [#9]
Augee, first off, I love those rifles. May I ask what is on top of the Eotech on your MK18? That prototype 300m rear sight is pretty neat too. Unfortunately I just missed one go on eBay for $40 because the owner thought it was "broken".

Graham
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lowonair:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lowonair:
Originally Posted By Pook2:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2cdy7lv.jpg

Building a clone rifle makes me feel like some sort of crack head always chasing the next high...

It's also expensive, wrecks relationships, and leaves me feeling me feeling guilty and used.

That said, it's fun as shit and love these rifles!

I can't wait to get out and use my SU-230. Augee you're rifles are great looking.

Keep the pics coming guys.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:33:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Maddy345] [#11]
Found a moment to do some plinking.  

Realized I'd forgotten to bring something to wrap the suppressor with before putting it back up.

Found an old oven mitt in the trunk and turned it inside out.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/FAA07FBB-2D25-450E-BFE8-874AE995B9B2_zpsacqzamfi.jpg

Giving the CTR yet another try...

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/F4F85D34-3071-4542-8822-AFBC1E055434_zpsp47eg3mr.jpg

With little sister:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/D0393F60-8597-4F25-9C7F-68CC3E268CB8_zps8figkhjh.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/741A0985-266C-424C-BF86-40BE5886112E_zpsccbnpnej.jpg

~Augee
View Quote

If I paint my rifle can I send it to you to give it that nice worn patina? I don't have enough time or money to shoot mine enough to get that look.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Maddy345:
If I paint my rifle can I send it to you to give it that nice worn patina? I don't have enough time or money to shoot mine enough to get that look.  
View Quote

I'd be happy to if you wanted to provide the ammunition.  

The "device" mounted on top of the EOTech on the CQBR is nothing more than a Suunto M9 wrist compass - I just hate having stuff on my wrists, and wear the smallest, lightest watch possible as is, a Garmin and a wrist compass would be hellish.  

I wouldn't use it on the rifle due to all the metal and the possibility interference, but with Velcro backing, I can keep it accessible and handy without digging it out of pockets/pouches, and I can stick to any loop surface available, including, but not limited to the big swath of Velcro on my admin pouch, a shoulder pocket.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ihcnehc] [#14]
Some sopmod Block 2 setup and a shorty upper going full auto.  2014-JAN-18.  Afghanistan.  Notice the regular PEQ-15 instead of a LA-5/PEQ.

EDIT: to answer the post below - LA-5 has raised illuminator adjustment knobs and the screw holes are on top as opposed to being on the right side.  The newer version of LA-5 also has a "profiled" battery cap.  I have both, so I know.

Thanks to Mb121 for pointing out it is a shorty upper as opposed to a block 2.

U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Richard W. Jones Jr.

Anyone who is interested in a brand new FDE Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x 5.56 (civilian version), feel free to contact me.  Price is very hard to beat.  No, I am not trying to make a profit, just trying to return a favor.

Also, KERIF is having a clearance sale.  There are some Surefire lights.  M620V, M720V, etc.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#15]
LA-5 has raised elevation/windage turrets? Is that the only way to tell the difference?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ihcnehc:
Sopmod Block 2 going full auto.  2014-JAN-18.  Afghanistan.  Notice the regular PEQ-15 instead of a LA-5/PEQ.

EDIT: to answer the post below - LA-5 has raised illuminator adjustment knobs and the screw holes are on top as opposed to being on the right side.  The newer version of LA-5 also has a "profiled" battery cap.  I have both, so I know.  

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ihcnehc/2014%20US%20Spec%20Ops/2014_01_18_AFG_Block2_Full_Auto_zps3d026917.jpg

Anyone who is interested in a brand new FDE Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x 5.56 (civilian version), feel free to contact me.  Price is very hard to beat.  No, I am not trying to make a profit, just trying to return a favor.

Also, KERIF is having a clearance sale.  There are some Surefire lights.  M620V, M720V, etc.

View Quote

Cool picture, but I believe that is a MK18 and not a block II M4
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Mb121:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mb121:

Originally Posted By ihcnehc:

Sopmod Block 2 going full auto.  2014-JAN-18.  Afghanistan.  Notice the regular PEQ-15 instead of a LA-5/PEQ.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ihcnehc/2014%20US%20Spec%20Ops/2014_01_18_AFG_Block2_Full_Auto_zps3d026917.jpg

I believe you are right, based on the rail hole count.  Thanks for the correction.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:20:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PatriotManJSO:
LA-5 has raised elevation/windage turrets? Is that the only way to tell the difference?
View Quote

The stickers will also show different power outputs. However I wouldn't trust just stickers... The raised elevation and windage turrets are the only things I'd trust to differentiate between the two.

Also I found that the laser emission ports on the LA-5 are covered with a single piece of glass over the two individual emission ports while the PEQ-15 has each individual ports exposed. Take this difference with a grain of salt, the LA-5 I looked at dated back to 2009 so there could have been revisions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, it was fun, guys. But it looks like I'll be selling my upper to fund a 1.5/PR build.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#20]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

The stickers will also show different power outputs. However I wouldn't trust just stickers... The raised elevation and windage turrets are the only things I'd trust to differentiate between the two.

Also I found that the laser emission ports on the LA-5 are covered with a single piece of glass over the two individual emission ports while the PEQ-15 has each individual ports exposed. Take this difference with a grain of salt, the LA-5 I looked at dated back to 2009 so there could have been revisions.
View All Quotes

There are a couple of other small visual cues besides the adjustment knobs.  The next most obvious indication that's easily visible in that particular photograph in particular is the "sockets" for the training limiter screws which are mounted on the side of the AN/PEQ-15 and on the top on an LA-5.

You ought to post that in the CQBR thread and watch the skies go dark as the Beta C-Mag gets added to "the list."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:

Your girlfriend is a whore. Dump her and spend more money on guns. You will thank me later.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Thanks, I will probably order one this weekend. I can stomach something around $100. Girlfriends birthday is in a week so it probably doesn't look too good for me if I'm spending money on my hobbies left and right and haven't gotten her anything yet...

Your girlfriend is a whore. Dump her and spend more money on guns. You will thank me later.

Fuckin straight up!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:26:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#22]

There are a couple of other small visual cues besides the adjustment knobs.  The next most obvious indication that's easily visible in that particular photograph in particular is the "sockets" for the training limiter screws which are mounted on the side of the AN/PEQ-15 and on the top on an LA-5.

You ought to post that in the CQBR thread and watch the skies go dark as the Beta C-Mag gets added to "the list."  

~Augee
View All Quotes

~Augee

Insight considers there are multiple variants of the PEQ-15 the LA-5 and LA-5A included
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By R0N:

Insight considers there are multiple variants of the PEQ-15 the LA-5 and LA-5A included
View Quote

Are you certain of this?  

My understanding was that they considered all of the ATPIALs by L3/Insight/EOTech of which there are multiple variants - and that the AN/PEQ-15 and LA-5/PEQ "family" were all variants of the ATPIAL.  

AN/PEQ-15, LA-5, LA-5A, LA-5D, and LA-5E should all be specific designations for specific variants with specific "MIL-SPEC" features?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:54:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#24]
It is listed as AN/PEQ-15 (LA-5/PEQ and LA-5A/PEQ) ATPIAL on their website; I always wondered because I have 6 different types of PEQ-15s in the 642 in my armory
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry if any of these are dupes.  Im sure there are a few in this 935pg clone thread.  

First came from Hurlburt Field Facebook page and the rest came from 75th Rangers Facebook.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#26]
where can i get the Knights front flip up sight in taupe ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#27]
where can i get the Knights front flip sight in taupe ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By ThePitt:

Sorry if any of these are dupes.  Im sure there are a few in this 935pg clone thread.  

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/MPSpecV/10369995_866747680007591_3603956250142635828_n.jpg

View Quote

Is that an MRE with the front filler removed?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

View All Quotes

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/MPSpecV/10369995_866747680007591_3603956250142635828_n.jpg

No, its a regular KAC RAS with an additional FSB mounted rail. I don't recall which one, but Augee knows. He's posted pics of one before.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

No, its a regular KAC RAS with an additional FSB mounted rail. I don't recall which one, but Augee knows. He's posted pics of one before.
View All Quotes

Yeah, you right.

I can see the delta ring now.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#31]
It is listed as AN/PEQ-15 (LA-5/PEQ and LA-5A/PEQ) ATPIAL on their website; I always wondered because I have 6 different types of PEQ-15s in the 642 in my armory
View Quote

Is the difference between the 6 different PEQ-15's the level of power outputs possible?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Is the difference between the 6 different PEQ-15's the level of power outputs possible?
View All Quotes

Never tested power output, but the vary from color, knob type, location of safety retention hole, number of safety bolts, and body style.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Back on page 93 Augee posted pics that included a YHM Triple Mount. I'm guessing that's what we're seeing in this pic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
View Quote

http://www.operationparts.com/KAC_Knights_Armament_RAS_Front_Folding_Sight_TAUPE_p/99051-taupe.htm

Place yourself on the e-mail when in stock list.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By warpig8654:

http://www.operationparts.com/KAC_Knights_Armament_RAS_Front_Folding_Sight_TAUPE_p/99051-taupe.htm

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By warpig8654:
Originally Posted By BSOG1:

One in the EE right now too
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#37]
Originally Posted By TannerB:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/oZxpE6" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5558/15091017221_c7de8a332a_c.jpg</a>20140828_084646_1 (4) by tb5252, on Flickr
View Quote

Nice.

How a Block II is meant to be IMO...a RECCE/mini SPR type rig.

That's how I run mine now, though I'm not gonna lie, it's a damn tank.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#38]
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/oZxpE6" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5558/15091017221_c7de8a332a_c.jpg</a>20140828_084646_1 (4) by tb5252, on Flickr
View Quote

I've got a Block II build going and this is really pushing me towards a scope for an optic vs. eotech.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

WOW that thing is beautiful!
I keep saying Im gonna do exactly this with my block II, and now because of this pic I know I have to

What scope/mount is that?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:

I keep saying Im gonna do exactly this with my block II, and now because of this pic I know I have to

View All Quotes

Looks like a Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS in a Larue LT104 mount
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By gaston4:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gaston4:

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks guys, I've had mixed feelings about the mk8, but once I put it on the m4a1 I fell in love. I think they are a perfect match.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Nice.

View All Quotes

Nice.

I was just discussing this concept yesterday, the Mk12 no longer being supported, weapons worn out after decade of fighting.  How would a forward-thinking small unit commander fill the need within his unit?  COTS match barrels 14.5 to 16" long mounted on M4A1 Block IIs, use the NSN parts that don't cost anything, put good glass on top, use the SOCOM can instead of the OpsInc.....

Presto! Mk12 Mod2

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
I was just discussing this concept yesterday, the Mk12 no longer being supported, weapons worn out after decade of fighting.  How would a forward-thinking small unit commander fill the need within his unit?  COTS match barrels 14.5 to 16" long mounted on M4A1 Block IIs, use the NSN parts that don't cost anything, put good glass on top, use the SOCOM can instead of the OpsInc.....

Presto! Mk12 Mod2
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

Nice.

Presto! Mk12 Mod2

That actually is not a bad idea at all
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:05:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#45]

Never tested power output, but the vary from color, knob type, location of safety retention hole, number of safety bolts, and body style.
View All Quotes

Interesting, I see that now on the Insight website... I wonder if they "adopted" the [AN/]PEQ-15 designation because it's so widely recognized under that name.  Either way, it appears that they do refer to the ATPIAL family, at least in general commercial literature as the AN/PEQ-15, and include the LA-5/PEQ series under that umbrella.    

Insight's internal model numbers all appear to use the "ATP" prefix, regardless of military designation.

FWIW, the ATPIAL/PEQ-15 models I'm tracking are:

Insight/EOTech/L3 Model Number - Military Designation - Description

ATP-000-A18 - AN/PEQ-15 - Standard Power, Tan
ATP-000-A18VIS - N/A - Beamhit ATPIAL Training Visible Laser (Tan)
ATP-000-A22 - AN/PEQ-15 - Standard Power, Black
ATP-000-A20 - LA-5/PEQ - High Power, Tan
ATP-000-A23 - LA-5/PEQ - High Power, Black
ATP-000-A14 - LA-5A/PEQ - Ultra High Power, Tan
ATP-000-A24 - LA-5A/PEQ - Ultra High Power, Black
ATP-000-A30 - LA-5D/PEQ - High Power, Shock Hardened, Tan
ATP-000-A31 - LA-5E/PEQ - Ultra High Power, Shock Hardened, Tan

Parttarget.com also lists a couple of other "ATP" designated models, but I haven't been able to track down exactly which configurations they correspond to.

http://www.parttarget.com/L-3-Insight-Technology-Incorporated_nsn-parts_MPL-002_IPM-000-A1.html

L3/EOTech's Operator's Manual for the Advanced Target Pointer Illuminator Aiming Light (ATPIAL), Rev. 3 dated 26 February 2013 lists the model numbers ATP-000-A18 and -A22, the standard power AN/PEQ-15 in Tan and Black, and makes no mention of the AN/PEQ-15 or PEQ-15 designation:

L3 Warrior Systems OPERATOR MANUAL FOR THE ADVANCED TARGET POINTER ILLUMINATOR AIMING LIGHT (ATPIAL)

~Augee

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Interesting, I see that now on the Insight website... I wonder if they "adopted" the [AN/]PEQ-15 designation because it's so widely recognized under that name.  Either way, it appears that they do refer to the ATPIAL family, at least in general commercial literature as the AN/PEQ-15, and include the LA-5/PEQ series under that umbrella.    

Insight's internal model numbers all appear to use the "ATP" prefix, regardless of military designation.

Parttarget.com also lists a couple of other "ATP" designated models, but I haven't been able to track down exactly which configurations they correspond to.

http://www.parttarget.com/L-3-Insight-Technology-Incorporated_nsn-parts_MPL-002_IPM-000-A1.html

~Augee

View All Quotes

~Augee

Thank you both for the information! Is the shock hardened version for the SCAR? I remember hearing something about LA-5's failing on SCARs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Thank you both for the information! Is the shock hardened version for the SCAR? I remember hearing something about LA-5's failing on SCARs.
View Quote

This seems to be the case, as I have seen them referred to as "CAR Hardened."  

The LA-5D and LA-5E are supposed to be Phased Replacements for the LA-5 and LA-5A respectively.  The SU-231A is also a shock hardened phased replacement for the SU-231.  

~Augee  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:27:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Postal0311] [#48]

Not me, but my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Postal0311, what color is your Upper & Lower Receiver in your photo? I like the color.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#50]
It is a Colt FDE 6920.
Page / 906
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top