Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2024 2:27:48 PM EDT
Took this pic of an M16 and M16A1 at the Fort Sill, OK Field Artillery museum today. The A1 has an incorrect A2 Delta Ring on it. Both have type D stocks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the fence correct on an M-16 lower?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By highorder:
View Quote

For a late 604, yes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Anniston have their way with them?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MrM1A1:

For a late 604, yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By highorder:

For a late 604, yes.

If the fence is correct, then the 3-prong flash hider might not be.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dex223:

View Quote

IIRC full fence lowers we’re introduced before the switch to birdcage, so it very well may be original as is.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]

IIRC full fence lowers we’re introduced before the switch to birdcage, so it very well may be original as is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dex223:

Curious about this. I'm building an A1 and have an extra 3-prong. I wasn't sure if A1s had any early in production or as a transitional using up of preexisting parts inventory.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Curious about this. I'm building an A1 and have an extra 3-prong. I wasn't sure if A1s had any early in production or as a transitional using up of preexisting parts inventory.
View Quote

Everything was transitional to some degree until 1975 when the E trapdoor Stocks and fully Chromed Bore were standardized as the last improvements. The full fence around the magazine button and birdcage flash hider were adopted around the sane time with the close of 1966 so the last XM16E1 would've been near identical to the earliest M16A1 (formally adopted end of February 1967). 3 prong flash hiders were used up until exhausted
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Wrong slip ring on the A1.  The Delta ring was not used until the 1980’s although it was used on the XM177E2s.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
In the Air Force I was issued serial 271139. It had full fence and a bird cage with looked original to the gun. At the time we had a few M16s still wearing 3 prong FH.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By M4it:
Wrong slip ring on the A1.  The Delta ring was not used until the 1980’s although it was used on the XM177E2s.
View Quote

I remember when my NG unit got the new D ring and round handguards. New stuff on old rifles for some reason.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top