Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2024 12:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drop12]
I have a sure fire scout. I don't remember the exact model, but it is, or at least was, a top tier light from surefire that comes with rechargeable batteries that allow it to put out up to 1500 lumens.

The placement on the rifle , very far forward  nicely eliminates any barrel shadowing.

My only complaint is having so much weight that far out on the end of the gun.

I love how tight it sits to the rail. The bcm kmr is a pretty slinder rail and the light sits close enough I have to remove the rear cap to even remove the light.

Is there a comparable light out there that isn't quite so large and heavy?

The rifle is a completely different animal when the light is not installed. Much easier to snap to targets but the lights weight does tame the rifles minor muzzle flip a bit so there is a bit of a trade off.

The light I'm looking for doesn't need to be 1500 lumens. I'll settle for as low as 800.

I also wonder since surefire is so popular,  does anyone maybe make titanium housings for my current light.

Im up for about anything as long as the new light sits tight to the rail and still has good performance.

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Drop12:
I have a sure fire scout. I don't remember the exact model, but it is, or at least was, a top tier light from surefire that comes with rechargeable batteries that allow it to put out up to 1500 lumens.

The placement on the rifle , very far forward  nicely eliminates any barrel shadowing.

My only complaint is having so much weight that far out on the end of the gun.

I love how tight it sits to the rail. The bcm kmr is a pretty slinder rail and the light sits close enough I have to remove the rear cap to even remove the light.

Is there a comparable light out there that isn't quite so large and heavy?

The rifle is a completely different animal when the light is not installed. Much easier to snap to targets but the lights weight does tame the rifles minor muzzle flip a bit so there is a bit of a trade off.

The light I'm looking for doesn't need to be 1500 lumens. I'll settle for as low as 800.

I also wonder since surefire is so popular,  does anyone maybe make titanium housings for my current flight. I'd like to shed somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 pound from my light setup if possible.

Im up for about anything as long as the new light sits tight to the rail and still has good performance.

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/wx9fmy.jpg
View Quote
I have that same Scout dual fuel full size model, which puts out 1500 lumens and 16,000 candela. It's listed weight is only 5.15 ounces, or a little under a third of a pound. There's simply nowhere near enough fat to trim to lose a quarter pound, much less a half pound of weight. Titanium would substantially increase the unit price, and would only shave some grams of weight off the finished product vs the current aluminum.

The only way I see to reduce weight would be swapping out the full size (18650/2x 123) body for their micro (18350/1x 123) body. Going by the current and slightly heavier turbo models, the micro is listed at about .4 ounce less than the full size. In my opinion, the loss of output and runtime wouldn't be worth such a low weight reduction, except for those lacking enough rail space for a full size light.

If it were me, I'd leave well enough alone and save the cash for something more fruitful.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple more options to shave some weight:

Replace that bulky tail cap for the plug only version.

Replace that tape switch with aluminum clamps for the all polymer version that snaps onto the pic rail without tools. It also has an integrated clicky button to replace the one on your current tail cap.

If your primary optic is duty grade (more robust and dependable than most of us will demand of it), lose the buis. Yours look like the metal version, which if removed, would probably shed more nose weight than any of the previous suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
My old Inforce WMLX was only 4 ounces. The new Gen3 is now 1,100 lumens & 25k Candela but I can't find info on the weight (available in black as well but couldn't find that color on Amazon):

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tomac:
My old Inforce WMLX was only 4 ounces. The new Gen3 is now 1,100 lumens & 25k Candela but I can't find info on the weight (available in black as well but couldn't find that color on Amazon):
www.amazon.com/dp/B0CM44VKJH
View Quote

Has the quality increased any?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GimmeLibertee:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GimmeLibertee:
www.amazon.com/dp/B0CM44VKJH

Supposedly. I haven't seen the reports of breakage w/the Gen2 or Gen3 like with the Gen1 I used to own.
Btw, someone posted weight of the Gen3 w/batteries is 4.9oz.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:01:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#6]
You’re not going to cut much, if any weight out of the light.  Dropping to a single cell unit may cut a little bit (1/2oz for the battery and maybe another 1/2 for the shorter body), but light heads and tailcaps are going to be about the same regardless of model.

This is plainly demonstrated by the fact that your current SF is only about 1/2oz (or less) heavier than an all polymer light like the Inforce (if posted numbers are accurate).

You’d be much better off ditching that huge chunk of aluminum tape switch mount which likely weighs more than any weight savings you could hope to gain by switching to a different light.

I’ll also second ditching the BUIS if you have a quality optic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Im using a Surefire Pro body w/swivel mount, clicky, and PLHV2 Dual Fuel Modlite. Iirc, its about 5.5oz with 18650.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Headbarcode:
I have that same Scout dual fuel full size model, which puts out 1500 lumens and 16,000 candela. It's listed weight is only 5.15 ounces, or a little under a third of a pound. There's simply nowhere near enough fat to trim to lose a quarter pound, much less a half pound of weight. Titanium would substantially increase the unit price, and would only shave some grams of weight off the finished product vs the current aluminum.

The only way I see to reduce weight would be swapping out the full size (18650/2x 123) body for their micro (18350/1x 123) body. Going by the current and slightly heavier turbo models, the micro is listed at about .4 ounce less than the full size. In my opinion, the loss of output and runtime wouldn't be worth such a low weight reduction, except for those lacking enough rail space for a full size light.

If it were me, I'd leave well enough alone and save the cash for something more fruitful.
View Quote

Ti is heavier than Al.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Ti is heavier than Al.
View Quote
Yes, thank you for both the correction and the reminder. I must've been thinking of magnesium, not titanium. It's been quite some time since I've handled either, and even then, I mostly dealt with steel and aluminum alloys.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Headbarcode:

View Quote

I decided to huat leave everything as is. I hadn't touched that rifle in over a year except to charge the batteries.
It just felt end heavy for the first time handling it in a while. Omce I got to looking around I realized if I went with a smaller scout,the only material being removed is a bit tube and maybe half a battery for much less performance.
Being that this guns main use is for things that go bump in the night outside I like the output. And since I don't believe in rifles without buis I'll just leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Supposedly. I haven't seen the reports of breakage w/the Gen2 or Gen3 like with the Gen1 I used to own.
View Quote

Out of 4 gen 2 inforces in my circle, 3 failed, the button would not reliably work. I don't buy or recommend that brand at this point.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

Out of 4 gen 2 inforces in my circle, 3 failed, the button would not reliably work. I don't buy or recommend that brand at this point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NewWind:

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:58:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#13]
1. Titanium will weigh more than aluminum. I thought you wanted lighter?

2. Your tape switch and front sight could be substantially reduced in weight by moving the light to run thumb activated and using the newest MBUS polymer front sight.

3. You appear to be using an 18650 battery from your descriptionn. You can save weight going with an 18350 battery body Modlight and improve your useful overall output for only the cost of a tiny bit of barrel shadow or go with a Malkoff head on a 2x123 Arisaka body, use a 16650 to reduce battery weight, and use a Malkoff button tailcap (lighter than Surefire or Arisaka tailcaps) to have the same barrel shadow with slightly reduced lumen performance. Just realize push button tailcaps will be slighter further to reach than your current tailcap.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DevL:
1. Titanium will weigh more than aluminum. I thought you wanted lighter?

2. Your tape switch and front sight could be substantially reduced in weight by moving the light to run thumb activated and using the newest MBUS polymer front sight.

3. You appear to be using an 18650 battery from your descriptionn. You can save weight going with an 18350 battery body Modlight and improve your useful overall output for only the cost of a tiny bit of barrel shadow or go with a Malkoff head on a 2x123 Arisaka body, use a 16650 to reduce battery weight, and use a Malkoff button tailcap (lighter than Surefire or Arisaka tailcaps) to have the same barrel shadow with slightly reduced lumen performance. Just realize push button tailcaps will be slighter further to reach than your current tailcap.
View Quote

PLHV2+Reptilia 18350+Clickycap from SF = 3.9oz.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top