Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2024 7:30:03 PM EDT
I've put a few on in the past.  I normally remove the grip and safety and put the lower in a vise with padded jaws.  I have a combination wrench that fits snug on the flats at the rear of the tube (no wiggle).

Where I'm looking for tips is, when I apply 38 ft/lbs to install the extension, the wrench always deforms the flats on the tube to some extent.  The cheaper 6061 tubes deform the worst but even the 7075 tubes deform some.  The wrench isn't slipping and I always use my non wrench hand to support the tube and keep the wrench firmly on the flats as I'm torquing it down.

Regardless, the alumimin always gives out under the wrench as I approach the final torque value and the ends of the flats start to deform and round.  I just did another one today and the same thing happened, which is why I'm looking for pointers.

Is there a trick to doing this without the wrench deforming the flats or is this just how it is?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#1]
First, only go to the minimum of the spec for rifle receiver extensions (35 Foot Pounds).

Second, it's better to use a fully encapsulated wrench for this. The one I found to be the best (tightest fit) is the one from Brownells which is shown second from the right in the below picture.

Third, you will still usually always get some finish damage or deformation at the edges of the wrench flats on the buffer tube.

I don't use the open sided cut out on the GI type wrenches for this as they really suck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
First, only go to the minimum of the spec for rifle receiver extensions (35 Foot Pounds).

Second, it's better to use a fully encapsulated wrench for this. The one I found to be the best (tightest fit) is the one from Brownells which is shown second from the right in the below picture.

https://i.imgur.com/rip9YMzh.jpg

Third, you will still usually always get some finish damage or deformation at the edges of the wrench flats on the buffer tube.

I don't use the open sided cut out on the GI type wrenches for this as they really suck.
View Quote

Thanks for the pointers.  35 ft/lbs it is from here on out.  I'll have to look into that wrench from Brownells.  The one I have looks like the combination wrench straight out of the TM.  It's a flat piece of steel with several open sided cut outs of various sizes around the perimeter and a 1/2" drive socket in the center.  I can't remember where I got it but one of the cut outs fits the end of the extension like a glove.  It's great for muzzle devices too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#3]
Here are some pics for reference:

This is the extension I did today.  It has to be 6061 due to how soft it felt and how easily it gave.  The dark line at about the 3 o'clock is a scratch, not a crack.

Here's the wrench I use:

@556Cliff

How bad does it look to you?  This is the worst one I've done so far.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#4]
Originally Posted By Bebop_941:
Here are some pics for reference:

This is the extension I did today.  It has to be 6061 due to how soft it felt and how easily it gave.

https://i.ibb.co/mFbF9Qp/20240217-201754.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/vJL3XFw/20240217-201843.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Cm8SwbD/20240217-201820.jpg

Here's the wrench I use:

https://i.ibb.co/SnrJTkG/20240217-201715.jpg

@556Cliff

How bad does it look to you?  This is the worst one I've done so far.
View Quote

That's pretty bad, I've never had one come close to that much deformation and finish damage using the Brownells wrench.

Where did you get the buffer tube?

I tend to stick to these ones > here < to save a little over Colt's, which were very similar if not the same, but with an external coat of dry film lube.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]

That's pretty bad, I've never had one come close to that much deformation and finish damage using the Brownells wrench.

Where did you get the buffer tube?

I tend to stick to these ones here to save a little over Colt's, which were very similar if not the same, but with an external coat of dry film lube. > Link.
View Quote

Thanks for the link to the Brownells tube.  Most rifle length tubes out there are 6061 from what I've found.

It's off of a complete A2 lower from PSA from 5-6 yrs ago.  I have an old Bushmaster rifle length extension that must be 7075 because I've changed it out using the same set-up and tools and it's held up much better than this one.  Still, going to look into that Brownells wrench.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#6]
Here's the wrench. > Link. It's almost always out of stock though.

Here's another option with the same cutout for the flats on a rifle receiver extension, but it's spanner type for both the old style lock rings and castle nuts by way of removable round and square pins. > Link. It's also almost always out of stock.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Here's another option with the same cutout for the flats on a rifle receiver extension, but it's spanner type for both the old style lock rings and castle nuts by way of removable round and square pins. > Link. It's also almost always out of stock.
View Quote

Notification subscription put in for both of them.  Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

The extension in question is on a range toy and the damage doesn't interfere with the stock going on or anything.  Since it's already torqued in place, I'm going to leave it but lesson learned for next time.  Hopefully I'll have new wrench by then.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Notification subscription put in for both of them.  Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

The extension in question is on a range toy and the damage doesn't interfere with the stock going on or anything.  Since it's already torqued in place, I'm going to leave it but lesson learned for next time.  Hopefully I'll have new wrench by then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, it won't hurt anything to use it that way and of course the damage isn't visible with the stock installed. Most would probably leave well enough alone and move on. Me however, that kinda stuff drives me nuts (hidden damage especially).

Hopefully one of those wrenches comes back in stock soon.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Me however, that kinda stuff drives me nuts (hidden damage especially).
View Quote

I know the feeling - believe me, I know
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:20:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#10]

Where I'm looking for tips is, when I apply 38 ft/lbs to install the extension, the wrench always deforms the flats on the tube to some extent.  .
View Quote

As the Great Clayton Bigsby once said, "look no further"

What appears to be at issue here is there is very little metal on the buffer tube flats for the wrench to engage purchase on and the wrench wobbles.

This is so simple lol, try this method. The screw in the video is a pistol grip screw and some washers.

Also some wrenches fit tighter than others. Magpul sloppy, MI tool less sloppy fit. I now have a Brownells tool that fits super tight.

Rifle Buffer Tube / Armorers Wrench Modification!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:19:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#11]
EDIT: Disregard, Cliff already posted the link a few posts up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

What appears to be at issue here is there is very little metal on the buffer tube flats for the wrench to engage purchase on and the wrench wobbles.

This is so simple lol, try this method. The screw in the video is a pistol grip screw and some washers.

Also some wrenches fit tighter than others. Magpul sloppy, MI tool less sloppy fit. I now have a Brownells tool that fits super tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFSwlJFdWqE
View Quote

That is ingenious - is that electrical tape on the wrench to snug up the fit to the flats?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep standard old black electrical tape. Bolting the wrench very tight to the buffer tube is the real trick.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:21:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#14]
Yep standard old black electrical tape. Bolting the wrench very tight to the buffer tube is the real trick.
View Quote

Well, it's a good trick, so I'll be using it.

Funny thing is, I used to use an adjustable crescent wrench with some painter's tape on it to prevent marring.  I'd turn the wrench until the lower flexed a little in the vise and use that as an indication that the tube was torqued.  Never had an issue with a tube coming loose or getting damaged.

Once I tried using wrenches in conjunction with a torque wrench is when tubes started getting marred and damaged.

I'm pretty religious when it comes to proper torque specs.  But this is one instance where "feel" served me better than a torque wrench.  There's a lesson in there somewhere
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:04:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#15]
UPDATE:

I just wanted to follow up.  I decided to pick up a couple of these to replace any 6061 tubes I have.  They are 7075-T6, impact extruded (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the correct process).

Midwayusa

Anyone have experience with these, good or bad?

The Brownells tubes look good too, but they didn't specify the manufacturing process used and I'm a sucker for more info when buying something .

I will try some of the Brownells tubes if these don't work out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#16]
UPDATE:

I just wanted to follow up.  I decided to pick up a couple of these to replace any 6061 tubes I have.  They are 7075-T6, impact extruded (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the correct process).

Midwayusa

Anyone have experience with these, good or bad?

The Brownells tubes look good too, but they didn't specify the manufacturing process used and I'm a sucker for more info when buying something .

I will try some of the Brownells tubes if these don't work out.
View Quote

Never tried the 7075 REs from Midway. Let us know how they work out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]

That is ingenious - is that electrical tape on the wrench to snug up the fit to the flats?
View All Quotes

I've been doing this for years to snug up fit, I never thought of it as a trick.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:42:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#18]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

I've been doing this for years to snug up fit, I never thought of it as a trick.
View All Quotes

I was referring to using a washer to secure the wrench to the extension.  I was just asking for clarification on the electrical tape part of it.

If you look above, I use painter's tape on my wrench for the same purpose.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Any part that says "AR-Stoner" in the description makes me nervous. Do follow up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Any part that says "AR-Stoner" in the description makes me nervous. Do follow up.
View Quote

I know - me too normally.  I've heard some of their parts are sourced from BCA.  The only reason I went with them is the description said "impact extruded from 7075-T6" and the Brownells description didn't specify other than material.  I doubt BCA does impact extrusions.  Hopefully I didn't screw myself.🤞
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#21]

I was referring to using a washer to secure the wrench to the extension.  I was just asking for clarification on the electrical tape part of it.

If you look above, I use painter's tape on my wrench for the same purpose.
View Quote

Gotcha, I assumed that was so you didn't scratch the anodizing on the Extension.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#22]

I know - me too normally.  I've heard some of their parts are sourced from BCA.  The only reason I went with them is the description said "impact extruded from 7075-T6" and the Brownells description didn't specify other than material.  I doubt BCA does impact extrusions.  Hopefully I didn't screw myself.🤞
View Quote

A lot of their barrels are sourced from BCA, but they source from many vendors and I doubt BCA would go to the effort.  You will find out soon enough I guess.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#23]

Gotcha, I assumed that was so you didn't scratch the anodizing on the Extension.
View Quote

I guess it kind of does both.  On that particular wrench, the fit isn't that sloppy so electrical tape is too thick.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#24]
So the AR Stoner Extreme Duty rifle extensions were a bust.  

The insides of the tubes were not as smooth as I would have liked (not terrible but not great).  The machine marks were pretty visible and inconsistent then whole length of the interior.  

One tube also had what appear to be corrosion on the inside, at the very end.  

I also ordered a couple AR Stoner mag buttons, which were advertised as aluminum but are magnetic (steel).  

Oversll, not good.  Lesson learned
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:07:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#25]
So the AR Stoner Extreme Duty rifle extensions were a bust.  

The insides of the tubes were not as smooth as I would have liked (not terrible but not great).  The machine marks were pretty visible and inconsistent then whole length of the interior.  

One tube also had what appear to be corrosion on the inside, at the very end.  

I also ordered a couple AR Stoner mag buttons, which were advertised as aluminum but are magnetic (steel).  

Oversll, not good.  Lesson learned
View Quote

How rough and swirly are we talking? I know down inside the buffer tube is not the easiest thing to take pictures of, but pics would help.

The Colt rifle buffer tubes that I've had (as sold through Brownells) and the Brownells 7075 buffer tubes were not perfectly smooth either. They weren't overly rough, but they weren't perfectly smooth on the inside and had swirly machining marks all the way down the inside of the tubes. Also, what looks like corrosion at the very end inside is somewhat normal for all of these. I'm not sure if it's actually corrosion, but I believe it's due to an air bubble trapped at the end of the tube when they are dunked into the anodizing solution. So it's like an unfinished spot that didn't get anodized.

The only rifle buffer tubes that I've seen that were completely smooth (mirror smooth) are the NOS Colt buffer tubes that are available at Specialized Armament. I had 3 of them at one point, but 2 of them had a machining flaw on the flange that seats up against the lower receiver and it would cause binding and gall the finish of the lower receiver... So with that in mind you can take a chance with those or not.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:45:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#26]
@556Cliff

Here are some pics:

The interior of the tube by the opening starts smooth and then the tool marks become more coarse the further down it goes.  The inside of the tube actually starts to feel bumpy if I slide my finger down the interior surface.

This pic shows some of the variations in surface smoothness further down the tube.  What you see here is not the typical "concentric rings of light effect" from the light reflecting off the interior of the tube. The variations in the relection of light are from the variations in the surface finish/machining.  

Here is a different angle, showing the machining variations further down the tube.  The spot at the end of the tube may be an imperfection from anodizing like you said.  If so, it doesn't bother me.

I'm going to order a couple of the Brownells tubes to compare them and keep whichever I like more.  Hopefully this is helpful to anyone else looking for rifle extensions.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#27]
@556Cliff

Here are some pics:

https://i.ibb.co/rmSK5gn/20240229-102533.jpg

The interior of the tube by the opening starts smooth and then the tool marks become more coarse the further down it goes.  The inside of the tube actually starts to feel bumpy if I slide my finger down the interior surface.

https://i.ibb.co/h2T0LZP/20240229-102630.jpg

This pic shows some of the variations in surface smoothness further down the tube.  What you see here is not the typical "concentric rings of light effect" from the light reflecting off the interior of the tube. The variations in the relection of light are from the variations in the surface finish/machining.  

https://i.ibb.co/BsBc7RQ/20240229-102611.jpg

Here is a different angle, showing the machining variations further down the tube.  The spot at the end of the tube may be an imperfection from anodizing like you said.  If so, it doesn't bother me.

I'm going to order a couple of the Brownells tubes to compare them and keep whichever I like more.  Hopefully this is helpful to anyone else looking for rifle extensions.
View Quote

Thanks for the pics!

That is quite a bit more rough and swirly than the Colt and Brownells rifle buffer tubes I've had.

I used to have some decent pictures of one of my Brownells buffer tubes, but I must have deleted the pictures. I might see if I can get any decent pictures a bit latter on and post them here. Last time I tried it was a crap shoot getting a good picture with the lighting.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that little corrosion (or whatever it is) spot at the end of that tube at all. That's actually a smaller blemish than what I've seen on a lot of the rifle buffer tubes I've had.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#28]
Got some pics and I take what I said back about the Brownells and Colt (as sold through Brownells) buffer tubes being any better... Guess my memory was a bit foggy. I wish someone made a current production 7075 rifle buffer tube that was actually smooth on the inside. Only option as far as I'm aware is those NOS Colt ones that SAW was/is selling.

Brownells...

And Colt from Brownells... At first glance it appeared smoother than the Brownells tubes, but it's just the dry film lube filling in the machining marks. They really are about the same.

Obviously visible dry film lube filling in the swirly machining marks.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Got some pics and I take what I said back about the Brownells and Colt (as sold through Brownells) buffer tubes being any better... Guess my memory was a bit foggy. I wish someone made a current production 7075 rifle buffer tube that was actually smooth on the inside. Only option as far as I'm aware is those NOS Colt ones that SAW was/is selling.

Brownells...

https://i.imgur.com/x40hrHah.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f6RHjxch.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sKlm2DOh.jpg

And Colt from Brownells... At first glance it appeared smoother than the Brownells tubes, but it's just the dry film lube filling in the machining marks. They really are about the same.

https://i.imgur.com/JIH2SOJh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/W9pAPYSh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8AijG8Eh.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for sharing.  I guess I'll do a side by side between the Midwayusa and Brownells when they arrive and keep whichever looks better.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:46:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#30]
About 18 months ago I bought a Complete Colt A2 Buttstock kit from Brownells. Every piece in the kit was perfect. Alloy spacer, all parts cage coded. Here is the best I could do with a pic of the buffer tube. Perfectly smooth and Gray dry film lube looks like this pic.

If I had known what I was getting I would have bought 5 of these kits.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#31]
About 18 months ago I bought a Complete Colt A2 Buttstock kit from Brownells. Every piece in the kit was perfect. Alloy spacer, all parts cage coded. Here is the best I could do with a pic of the buffer tube. Perfectly smooth and Gray dry film lube looks like this pic.

If I had known what I was getting I would have bought 5 of these kits.

https://i.imgur.com/KMoNgVJ.jpeg
View Quote

Luck of the draw maybe?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Thanks for sharing.  I guess I'll do a side by side between the Midwayusa and Brownells when they arrive and keep whichever looks better.
View All Quotes

Brownells...

https://i.imgur.com/x40hrHah.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f6RHjxch.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sKlm2DOh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JIH2SOJh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/W9pAPYSh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8AijG8Eh.jpg

I'll be interested to hear if you think they are one in the same. Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quick update:

The insides of the Brownells and Midwayusa tubes look identical with the same machining marks.  The anodizing on the Midwayusa tubes is more matte so I decided to keep them and return the Brownells.  The anodizing on the Brownells tubes, from the threads all the way up to the flange, is actually glossy in appearance.  The rest of the tube is more satin in appearance compared to the Midway tubes.

Probably not a huge deal but since the insides looked identical, that's what my decision came down to.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quick update:

The insides of the Brownells and Midwayusa tubes look identical with the same machining marks.  The anodizing on the Midwayusa tubes is more matte so I decided to keep them and return the Brownells.  The anodizing on the Brownells tubes, from the threads all the way up to the flange, is actually glossy in appearance.  The rest of the tube is more satin in appearance compared to the Midway tubes.

Probably not a huge deal but since the insides looked identical, that's what my decision came down to.
View Quote

Hmm, by the sounds of it I really have to wonder if they aren't indeed the same tubes made by the same place and just finished by different anodizing shops depending on who the unfinished tubes were sent to.

Thanks for the update!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top