Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2024 5:06:26 PM EDT
Primary Arms 8.5 oz listed weight for their micro prism is misleading as it does not include mount. I put my 5x micro w/piggy back mount & PA mini reflex red dot on the scale...1 lb! No thanks, I'll just go LPVO.

I am hoping there are some light(er) weight options out there.

No red dots (Unless the dot + magnifier is still light). Magnification is a must have. I have astigmatism FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
Primary Arms 8.5 oz listed weight for their micro prism is misleading as it does not include mount. I put my 5x micro w/piggy back mount & PA mini reflex red dot on the scale...1 lb! No thanks, I'll just go LPVO.

I am hoping there are some light(er) weight options out there.

No red dots (Unless the dot + magnifier is still light). Magnification is a must have. I have astigmatism FWIW.
View Quote

Even at equal weight I will take the piggyback/prism 5x over a 1-6 LPVO when it comes to speed+accuracy overall.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#2]
I love PA, but their piggy back solution is garbage. It’s heavy yet weak.

I think the TA50 ACOG is the lightest set up of any meaningful magnification. It’s 5.8 ounces without the mount. The ADM B2-S in their cantilever line weighs in at 2 ounces. The RM54 RMR mount weighs under 1 ounce. The RMR weighs 1.2 ounces. By numbers you’d be at around 10 ounces, but I’m sure there could be overages that get lost somewhere. This is what I’m rolling with but haven’t got the RMR yet.

You could try a TA47 2X to try and get a blend of both, but 2X is right where magnification starts messing with my eyes and making me feel like I’m wearing drunk goggles.

You won’t find an LPVO that you won’t feel the weight of by the end of a long shooting session. Even a super light fire dot Leupold is still going to far exceed your current set up by the time you add a mount.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

I think the TA50 ACOG is the lightest set up of any meaningful magnification. It’s 5.8 ounces without the mount. The ADM B2-S in their cantilever line weighs in at 2 ounces. The RM54 RMR mount weighs under 1 ounce. The RMR weighs 1.2 ounces. By numbers you’d be at around 10 ounces, but I’m sure there could be overages that get lost somewhere. This is what I’m rolling with but haven’t got the RMR yet.

You could try a TA47 2X to try and get a blend of both, but 2X is right where magnification starts messing with my eyes and making me feel like I’m wearing drunk goggles.

You won’t find an LPVO that you won’t feel the weight of by the end of a long shooting session. Even a super light fire dot Leupold is still going to far exceed your current set up by the time you add a mount.
View Quote
not interested in 2x. Not enough magnification
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
not interested in 2x. Not enough magnification
View Quote

How far do you plan to shoot it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Second time I have read this today.  I have their original 5x prism with a piggyback RDS and actually do like it despite the ^

It is unfortunate that they can't come up with a more durable option with the micro's, because I could lose a few ounces there.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Second time I have read this today.  I have their original 5x prism with a piggyback RDS and actually do like it despite the ^

It is unfortunate that they can't come up with a more durable option with the micro's, because I could lose a few ounces there.

View Quote

Yeah I’m hoping the new Gen II microprism will address that. There’s more than a few videos of their piggy back mount caving in from drops that would be inconsequential to most optics.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Spoiler alert, LPVOs are also listed without including the weight of the mount.

16oz for a 5x prism, mount and 1x isn’t outrageous. Consider that a P4xi is 17.3oz + mount. A Delta Stryker 1-6x is 17.9oz + mount. A Leupold Mark 3HD 1.5-4x is 13.6oz + mount.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

16oz for a 5x prism, mount and 1x isn’t outrageous. Consider that a P4xi is 17.3oz + mount. A Delta Stryker 1-6x is 17.9oz + mount. A Leupold Mark 3HD 1.5-4x is 13.6oz + mount.
View Quote

Spoiler alert, if PA did not false advertise their weights on their site, I'd just stick with my SD rifle with Vortex LPVO.

Also, unless you have real input on reducing weight, why post? Good day
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Leupold 1.5-4x is about 9oz. Drop it in a couple 1.5" height rings and you're under 1lb easy. Could do an Aero mount but I'm not a fan.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Spoiler alert, if PA did not false advertise their weights on their site, I'd just stick with my SD rifle with Vortex LPVO.

Also, unless you have real input on reducing weight, why post? Good day
View Quote

[sigh] you should sue PA for false advertisement
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
OP how many threads are you going to start, complaining that PA lists their optic weights exactly like every other optics manufacturer? They don’t list the mount weight because there are so many aftermarket mount options available.

Lightweight carbines are fun and can be made reliable but they are not SHTF guns. BTW, eight pounds for a carbine with 1x and 5x mag capability is by no means heavy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Luny421] [#12]
All I ask is that once you’ve settled on an optic setup, you come back and post the overall weight of whatever you decide on. For science.

ETA I could give a fuck about the overall weight of your firearm, but at this point (and multiple threads worth) I am thoroughly invested in the weight of your optic setup so please keep us posted
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:31:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#13]
Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
OP how many threads are you going to start, complaining that PA lists their optic weights exactly like every other optics manufacturer? They don’t list the mount weight because there are so many aftermarket mount options available.

Lightweight carbines are fun and can be made reliable but they are not SHTF guns. BTW, eight pounds for a carbine with 1x and 5x mag capability is by no means heavy.
View Quote

This isn't a debate about what is considered heavy. This is about I want MY rifle lighter than this. I did not say lightest ever either.

Do you have an optic to suggest?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#15]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

View Quote

Spoiler alert, most LPVOs do not come with a mount duh. ;)

The PA units come mounted on a PA mount so they should either list that total weight or also include the mount weight on the site.

I know LPVOs are heavy. I have a Vortex Viper on another rifle...
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#16]

This isn't a debate about what is considered heavy. This is about I want MY rifle lighter than this. I did not say lightest ever either.

Do you have an optic to suggest?
View Quote

Understood and I’m sorry but I do not based on what you have posted thus far. It’s either an lpvo or a fixed prism and since you’ve ruled out scopes and PA prisms, that leaves acog and those are not any lighter. An RDS and magnifier combo will also weigh more than a PA prism. I suppose there are some other brands like monstrum etc but I would not consider them for anything beyond a range gun. One of the reasons PA doesn’t list total weight with mount is probably because it comes with a dozen different risers and they have no idea what combination the user will choose.

ETA: the two bolt interface of the PA mount does add a little weight which can be resolved with an ADM or Bobro mount, bobro being the lighter of the two. All though neither are going to save that much weight, an aftermarket mount should be considered since the PA mounts have had issues in the past. That’s the first thing that I do with the PA prisms with exception to a 300 BO rig used for deer.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:

Understood and I’m sorry but I do not based on what you have posted thus far. It’s either an lpvo or a fixed prism and since you’ve ruled out scopes and PA prisms, that leaves acog and those are not any lighter. An RDS and magnifier combo will also weigh more than a PA prism. I suppose there are some other brands like monstrum etc but I would not consider them for anything beyond a range gun. One of the reasons PA doesn’t list total weight with mount is probably because it comes with a dozen different risers and they have no idea what combination the user will choose.

ETA: the two bolt interface of the PA mount does add a little weight which can be resolved with an ADM or Bobro mount, bobro being the lighter of the two. All though neither are going to save that much weight, an aftermarket mount should be considered since the PA mounts have had issues in the past. That’s the first thing that I do with the PA prisms with exception to a 300 BO rig used for deer.

View Quote

No worries. I did not rule out PA micro prism. I have an ADM mount on order for it & I am going to switch BCG. Both of those changes should shave 7 ish oz off.

I see that Leupold has a couple scopes that only weigh 9 oz, but I do not care for the reticles.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Yeah I’m hoping the new Gen II microprism will address that. There’s more than a few videos of their piggy back mount caving in from drops that would be inconsequential to most optics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah they knocked it out of the park with their prism but their RDS mounting solution is straight dumbo sauce.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

Yeah they knocked it out of the park with their prism but their RDS mounting solution is straight dumbo sauce.
View Quote

With a giant side of WTF.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:04:02 AM EDT
[#20]

No worries. I did not rule out PA micro prism. I have an ADM mount on order for it & I am going to switch BCG. Both of those changes should shave 7 ish oz off.

I see that Leupold has a couple scopes that only weigh 9 oz, but I do not care for the reticles.
View Quote

I’d be reluctant to expect a loss of 7 ounces. Seems like something isn’t adding up there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#21]

I’d be reluctant to expect a loss of 7 ounces. Seems like something isn’t adding up there.
View Quote

Ya, and if half of that is coming from the BCG there will have to be other adjustments to balance that.  A few ounces isn't as important as reliability, IMO
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Just a rough estimate. I won't know till I get it on the scale after the new stuff is installed. I didn't order a low mass BCG or anything so reliability should still be fine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Things like optics can only get so light especially if you want magnification, pick what you like and live with it.   When you are talking about shaving a pound or so is one thing, but shaving the weight of a couple of apples it just isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
Things like optics can only get so light especially if you want magnification, pick what you like and live with it.   When you are talking about shaving a pound or so is one thing, but shaving the weight of a couple of apples it just isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.  

View Quote

My old eyes + astigmatism sadly = no dot for this one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:

Oh, trust me I'm there as well.  It's why I have the SLx1 on one rifle and looking at either the GLx2 or the waiting to arrive the GLx1.    I live in the woods and will maybe die in the woods, so I don't need a lot of magnification.      Good luck to ya bud...
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I got a new scale & weighed the optics again

The PA 3x micro showed 8.96 oz
The PA 5x micro w/piggy back mount & mini reflex dot showed 12.52 oz
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

The ADM mount arrived. I put that & the PA mount on the scale. Pretty much same weight lol
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

If the piggyback hookup is solid this would save me 8oz.  I have concerns that the micro eye relief might not be as forgiving as the early PA 5x prism I have.

As has been said a few times, I don't mind a few ounces as long as it doesn't affect the overall handling and balance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#29]

The ADM mount arrived. I put that & the PA mount on the scale. Pretty much same weight lol
View Quote

Yeah I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting, just looking at the adm mounts vs the factory mounts I have a hard time imagining you could get much lighter and not sacrifice quite a lot in terms of durability, and the adm mounts don't look like they use much less material.. At least you have a stronger mount (at least according to the internet).
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

Yeah I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting, just looking at the adm mounts vs the factory mounts I have a hard time imagining you could get much lighter and not sacrifice quite a lot in terms of durability, and the adm mounts don't look like they use much less material.. At least you have a stronger mount (at least according to the internet).
View Quote

& It's QD so I can swap optics if I want
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#31]
RT, you've already arrived at the lightest setup with the PA micro. If you're willing to forego the red dot Hawke has some interesting prisms ~10oz, a 4x24 and a 6x36. I can't comment to the quality but they should probably compare to a PA. There's also the Vortex Spitfire 5x which does have an RDS solution, I ordered both it and the PA micro 5x and returned the PA.

If the piggyback hookup is solid this would save me 8oz.  I have concerns that the micro eye relief might not be as forgiving as the early PA 5x prism I have.

As has been said a few times, I don't mind a few ounces as long as it doesn't affect the overall handling and balance.
View Quote

You'd definitely give up some eye relief/ eye box for weight. Prisms do balance well, by necessity since they have to hang off the back of the receiver to see through them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#32]
You'd definitely give up some eye relief/ eye box for weight. Prisms do balance well, by necessity since they have to hang off the back of the receiver to see through them.
View Quote

I do have a prism, but it is the older PA version that is the entire length of the upper receiver rail.  The eye relief is rather generous and perfect for A1 stock length for me.  My concern is the newer mini and micro stuff.  I do like my PIG of a rig, but I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter as long as I don't sacrifice eyebox too much.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#33]

I do have a prism, but it is the older PA version that is the entire length of the upper receiver rail.  The eye relief is rather generous and perfect for A1 stock length for me.  My concern is the newer mini and micro stuff.  I do like my PIG of a rig, but I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter as long as I don't sacrifice eyebox too much.

https://i.imgur.com/NKZ3FYO.jpg
View Quote

Unless you like shooting with your stock extended a lot or toward the end of the stock with your cheek weld, you'll be fine with the micro. I shoot nose to charging handle sometimes a little back from that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:12:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#34]

https://i.imgur.com/NKZ3FYO.jpg
View Quote

I ran the fully 5X for years. I can only compare to the 3X micro.

The 5X had the more stable peak eye box. Meaning at full field of view/peak eye relief it was more forgiving. The 3X has a larger useable eye box though. Meaning you can be further out of eye relief while still having a useable sight picture and okay exit pupil forgiveness.

The micros will shadow the prism relatively easy whether you’re forward or behind the peak eye relief. That’s a deal breaker for some as they think any shadowing is end of the road.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#35]

I ran the fully 5X for years. I can only compare to the 3X micro.

The 5X had the more stable peak eye box. Meaning at full field of view/peak eye relief it was more forgiving. The 3X has a larger useable eye box though. Meaning you can be further out of eye relief while still having a useable sight picture and okay exit pupil forgiveness.

The micros will shadow the prism relatively easy whether you’re forward or behind the peak eye relief. That’s a deal breaker for some as they think any shadowing is end of the road.
View Quote

Speaking of the PA 5x & 3x micros, anyone running them without a red dot as well on a rifle that isn't just a range toy?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Just FYI, the 5x doesn't have the donut, just the chevron reticle. For me, that wouldn't work as a CQC optic. 3x would be the most magnification. I'm using the 2x right now, but debating on switching back to a 3x. Also, waiting on the new 1x.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#37]
microprisms are the lightest magnified optics, full stop. maybe ditch the red dot? you don't really need a 1x ( HERESY!!!) when bindon aiming is so easy. or you could get that 10oz leupold and put it in a potmetal aero mount. that would be like 1oz lighter than your current setup. alot more fragile and bulky, too. but it's technically lighter, although you wouldn't know it by feel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:19:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#38]

Speaking of the PA 5x & 3x micros, anyone running them without a red dot as well on a rifle that isn't just a range toy?
View Quote

I run two rigs with 3x only, no issues. I just shoot BAC for close in work. Same as we did with the TA31s for years.

ETA: This one started out with offset irons but I never really needed them so I replaced them with MBUIS.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top