Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2024 9:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP]
I have a project I've been acquiring parts for.
Basically, it's inspired by the mutts the Air Force put together, sort of a 601 rebrand as an XM-177.

Edit:
I don't need a FSB, I need a decent parkerized barrel with a FSB already installed.
The rest of this is moot.
With the cost of the labor to blast, parkerize, fit and install the FSB THEN pin and weld, it would be simpler to just find a 12.5" barrel with parkerized finish and have the 177 FH pinned and welded.
I originally sourced a very used Colt M-16 FSB and this project began, but after getting almost everything else, it's too worn to "fit". To make it work, I'd have to destroy/weather, mess up everything else, or....repark? (has anyone done a small item like this without a huge investment?).
If not, I'd like a decent take off.
I looked at AR15sport, theirs appear to be un-drilled, prefer something that would snap on to cut cost of the barrel work.
I've emailed a well-known individual here for some barrel work, setting everything together made me realize this FSB isn't going to work.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Oh, and "50 Shades of Grey, Part 2".
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Gratuitous pic with a full curve.
Attachment Attached File

Kudos to all the members here, most everything except the barrel and small parts were purchased on the site.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#1]
[Deleted]

Please limit buying/selling/trading to the EE.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
IM sent. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
John Thomas should be able to repark and install that FSB at minimal cost
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:01:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MASP7] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:
View Quote

Based on what you've said, this is probably your best bet.

If you found a random FSB that will just "snap on" and fit, you should play the lottery...
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
JSE did have some un-drilled, non F marked .625 blocks recently. RTB did too however theirs said while not F marked the were F height.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP] [#7]
I have emailed JT on this.
As long as I'm going to be shipping parts to him and paying for the work, might as well have a decent FSB to go on it.
The undrilled ones would require more work, maybe the used take offs would too, but that's a maybe.
As it is, the FSB I have would need to be blasted and reparked, then installed, might as well try and reduce as many steps as possible.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]

If you found a random FSB that will just "snap on" and fit, you should play the lottery...
View Quote

OK, now I get it.
This is a Bushmaster barrel, it came with a shaved FSB, fitting the Colt FSB front hole lines up, rear one, not so much. Another FSB I tried, same thing.
I used to assemble AKs years back, I had pretty good luck swapping post ban for pre ban gas blocks, FSBs with ears, etc, it was almost always a straight swap, appears I assumed the AR FSB would be the same.
Silly.
I'm thinking I'll be looking for a complete assembled barrel now, then just have the FH pinned and welded.
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:27:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hk45shooter] [#9]
JSE Surplus shows over 300 Non F marked .625 FSB in stock. The lady on the phone confirmed they "have tons of them".
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Have JT blast/park/pin your existing.

The man is a wizard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Have JT blast/park/pin your existing.

The man is a wizard.
View Quote

I emailed him. He could do the FSB and the pin and weld, but he said he doesn't parkerize nitride barrels, they no looks so hot afterwards.
I figure it'll be break even to just sell the Bushmaster barrel and FSB to get a parkerized barrel for him to chop and weld, as opposed to pay for a FSB install, blast and park on the Colt FSB, plus the pin and weld.
AND, the bonus, it'll probably add another shade of grey to the mix!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 762AP:

I emailed him. He could do the FSB and the pin and weld, but he said he doesn't parkerize nitride barrels, they no looks so hot afterwards.
I figure it'll be break even to just sell the Bushmaster barrel and FSB to get a parkerized barrel for him to chop and weld, as opposed to pay for a FSB install, blast and park on the Colt FSB, plus the pin and weld.
AND, the bonus, it'll probably add another shade of grey to the mix!
View Quote

Ah, didn't realize the barrel was nitrided. EWWW.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mtomso7464] [#13]
Heck order a 723 barrel assembly from H&R/PSA, or the 11.5 A1 barrel assembly from Brownells, have it sent to JT to shorten and shave the lug off and be done with it.

Edit,  Noticed Brownells say finish is QPQ, the ones I got there were parked.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:
View Quote

He does but the key thing ask nicely to see if he is taking on work. I asked before sending in the XM177 barrel project to him. All the work including cutting barrel down, installing FSB and cleaning up the forged flash, and pinned and welded flash hider all within a day.

The only reason I know this was the confirmation of the package arriving in his hands and the shipping confirmation all via USPS tracking system.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-barrels-parts/ar-15-m16a1-retro-carbine-barrel-assemblies/?sku=100020996

If you read the description for this barrel is says it is phosphate.  Mine are a dark gray.  They match really well with the H&R darker gray.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top