Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2024 12:52:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LilGucci]
I'm new to AR's so I'm certainly no expert, I'm buying and building a few AR's.

Do any of you have any knowledge or experience shooting a short-barreled rifle that has a mid-length gas system? What are the pros and cons? How do they shoot and what is the dwell time like? Are they reliable?

I'm looking at the Noveske Irregular Defense Chainsaw and that is what it has. I'm trying to decide if that'll be a gun worth owning. (My AR's are 16 or 14.5 pin and weld, I've never owned anything this short).

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The only 11.5 barrel I've shot that had a mid length gas system was a Faxon gunner barrel.
Everything functioned fine on it and never had any malfunctions.
I'm guessing if Noveske makes it, it should work just fine with whatever you throw at it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same Faxon barrel mentioned above. It works slick with and without a can.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I can tell you that I had an 11.5 faxon gunner that worked fine suppressed and unsuppressed with an adjustable gas block, but I think that's pretty well been covered. Hopefully someone who's run a noveske one will chime in for you. That would tell you a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stowe:
I can tell you that I had an 11.5 faxon gunner that worked fine suppressed and unsuppressed with an adjustable gas block, but I think that's pretty well been covered. Hopefully someone who's run a noveske one will chime in for you. That would tell you a whole lot more.
View Quote

Do you think I can post this in the main AR15 discussion forum? They always have a Noveske picture thread in there, maybe more Noveske owners will see it if I post in there but I feel this is more of an AR basics type question which is why I hesitated posting in there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:42:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#6]
You can post it over there. Maybe noveske people are just to refined to go to the basics area (joke). Really though, you'll be fine. If faxon can make it work, I'm sure noveske can. Worst case scenario is you're a bit under gassed and to have to use a reduced rate spring or open up your gas port a bit. Neither of which is the end of the world. More likely is that it will be a soft shooting, great barrel. Do they list the gas port size or have you tried emailing them and asking? If you had that information you could ask 11.5", midlength with a xx size gas port, good to go? (Something similar) and would probably get specific responses to that set up.just a thought
Probably the best place to ask would be Here
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's undergassed, you can always open up the gas port or reduce weight in your buffer, OP.

If it's overgassed, you can add an adjustable gas block or add tungsten weights in the buffer.

It's a Noveske, it'll run fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
You can post it over there. Maybe noveske people are just to refined to go to the basics area (joke). Really though, you'll be fine. If faxon can make it work, I'm sure noveske can. Worst case scenario is you're a bit under gassed and to have to use a reduced rate spring or open up your gas port a bit. Neither of which is the end of the world. More likely is that it will be a soft shooting, great barrel. Do they list the gas port size or have you tried emailing them and asking? If you had that information you could ask 11.5", midlength with a xx size gas port, good to go? (Something similar) and would probably get specific responses to that set up.just a thought
Probably the best place to ask would be Here
View Quote

I greatly appreciate your help, I can't thank you enough. I will post over there in a couple of days and see what kind of traction I get.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
If it's undergassed, you can always open up the gas port or reduce weight in your buffer, OP.

If it's overgassed, you can add an adjustable gas block or add tungsten weights in the buffer.

It's a Noveske, it'll run fine.
View Quote

Thanks man, I'll probably go with the tungsten weight option.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LilGucci:

Do any of you have any knowledge or experience shooting a short-barreled rifle that has a mid-length gas system? What are the pros and cons? How do they shoot and what is the dwell time like? Are they reliable?

View Quote

In regards to these questions, this 9 Hole Reviews video helps a little;

https://youtu.be/XZdBFqHb5WM?si=v3Gtb58zjvdfnxkb
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brawnydog] [#11]
Well timed video is well timed. Edit: beat like a rented mule.
THE AR FILES | Gas System Length and how to AVOID an OVERGASSED Gun

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you both for that video, it's cleared up a lot of questions I've had about gas systems.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top