Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2024 7:59:54 PM EDT
I recently purchased a 515GM from a non-site vendor.  Upon removing the OEM mount to swap out, I discovered that one of the mount screws wasn’t seated and the screw hole is misdrilled with what looks like a helicoil hanging out partially.  

The vendor referred me to Holosun customer service.  I’ve since emailed them requesting assistance with a return and filled out there online RMA request form, submitting pictures and all.  It’s been 2-3 weeks with no response on either end. Calling during work hours is a challenge and when I’ve tried there is a loop message that says email is best.  

Any advice (other than don’t buy Chinese crap apparently)?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#1]
I emailed Trijicon with a question on a Sunday night and had an answer by 9AM Monday.

I submitted two claims to Magpul without any response. Others made a topic and comments having the same problems in their industry forum. They provided a generic response there telling people to do what they had already done.

I found out a Ruike knife I bought awhile ago has no direct support and warranty has to go through the dealer. I forgot who I bought it from so now the knife is garbage.

Some companies make good stuff but can’t back their shit up in irregular scenarios. Sucks, but sometimes you paid for a lesson instead of a product.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude if you have a helicoil insert hanging out or not it’s a defect. Helicoils are a repair. The difference between a repair and rework is this:
Rework is returning a piece of hardware back to meet all print specifications.
Repair is returning a piece of hardware to usable configuration.

If you have a helicoil hanging out. It is not even to “usable configuration “.

The helicoil requirement is 1-2 threads below the surface. This includes the thread champher.

What size thread?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m200maker:
Dude if you have a helicoil insert hanging out or not it’s a defect. Helicoils are a repair. The difference between a repair and rework is this:
Rework is returning a piece of hardware back to meet all print specifications.
Repair is returning a piece of hardware to usable configuration.

If you have a helicoil hanging out. It is not even to “usable configuration “.

The helicoil requirement is 1-2 threads below the surface. This includes the thread champher.

What size thread?
View Quote

Cheap optics are now built originally with helicoils. I found that out when I bought new Vortex Spark Solars. One had a helicoil jacked up exactly like the OP’s Holosun did. I believe they’re doing that so they can be easily fixed instead of having to toss housings in the junk bin.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top