Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Functionally similar to the leupold devo but much less stupid looking and snag-prone.

https://soldiersystems.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/T1-DEVO-Combo.jpg
View Quote

That's exactly where my mind went too. That then made me think of a popular saying on another firearms forum I frequently lurk: "Leupold really Leupold'd it". This does get the gears turning in my head though... what would a more optimal version of this concept look like?

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation you mentioned that the low prism mount you where using wasn't "ideal", but did ultimately work. Was the idea here to have a reverse of the usual prism + piggyback RDS tradeoff so the RDS was at a more favorable mount height at the expense of less optimal prism placement (vs. the usual tradeoff of the prism being at a good height at the expense of the RDS being super high), or did it just happen to work out that way?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 8Thousand:

That's exactly where my mind went too. That then made me think of a popular saying on another firearms forum I frequently lurk: "Leupold really Leupold'd it". This does get the gears turning in my head though... what would a more optimal version of this concept look like?

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation you mentioned that the low prism mount you where using wasn't "ideal", but did ultimately work. Was the idea here to have a reverse of the usual prism + piggyback RDS tradeoff so the RDS was at a more favorable mount height at the expense of less optimal prism placement (vs. the usual tradeoff of the prism being at a good height at the expense of the RDS being super high), or did it just happen to work out that way?
View Quote

The idea was 'using available materials, how could I effect the same functionality of a top-mount RDS with the 3x PA micro-prism' considering there was a lack of acceptable commercial solutions. There aren't too many RDS mounts taller than 2.26", and even fewer that were sufficiently see-through. The Overbore I am using here is advertised as 2.33" to optic-center and, being very see-though, fit the bill for what I was imagining. I had previously imagined a scope-ring (a brand that offers a RDS or pic-rail top-ring option), mounted in front of the prism at the same height, sans optic (empty ring), as a possible solution, but ultimately disregarded it as not much better than PA's solution for security and durability. I'm not an engineer or machinist, so I'm just sharing thoughts and opinions.

Anyway, when I say this solution isn't 'ideal', that is exclusively focused on the mid-rise prism mount being the most comfortable for me. The low mount works fine, you just have to get down on it more. I think having this on a carbine-stocked lower helps, so you can get NCH easier. Despite looking like the mid-rise prism is occluded by the RDS mount, in practice, with proper eye-relief, it really isn't. But what it does do is block half of the RDS window. It's functional. You can pick up the dot in what's left of the window, but it's not great.

In sum, if you are one to use a Unity FAST mount and FTC magnifier, I think you would find this to feel very familiar, with the exceptions being that:

1. You do not flip the magnifier, but you shift your sight-picture to the lower optic (bonus: you now have hold-overs).
2. You will not have an iron-sights option (which is something a lot of people forego now, anyway), unless you do a 45-degree thing, or keep them up front like the Canadians do.

Anyway, I think I answered the question and likely then-some.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

I like your ingenuity and thonking outside the box.
View Quote

Danke.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shackleford_R] [#4]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
I'm doing a little futzing around with this:

https://i.imgur.com/9l41f7P.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CZgjCW7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/v62JB7r.jpg

... over at the 3x thread.
View Quote

now this is what we need more of, pushing the boundaries.
although this is functionally the same as the vortex 5x in a low mount with a top dot. imo the vortex is better than the PA for 5.56 guns, better glass and easier to get behind. however, the reticle restricts utility with other calibers
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Shackleford_R:

now this is what we need more of, pushing the boundaries.
although this is functionally the same as the vortex 5x in a low mount with a top dot. imo the vortex is better than the PA for 5.56 guns, better glass and easier to get behind. however, the reticle restricts utility with other calibers
View Quote

That and I don't want the dot as close to my face as the prism. I like it out front a little ways so I'm not constantly bonking my NVD against it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
I'm doing a little futzing around with this:

https://i.imgur.com/9l41f7P.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CZgjCW7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/v62JB7r.jpg

... over at the 3x thread.
View Quote

I like this a lot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

I like this a lot.
View Quote

It's a little dumb, but it's growing on me a little. Maybe I'll get to take it through a 2 gun Saturday someday.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:45:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: witchking777] [#8]
Gentlemen, may I present the answer to your dilemma. This setup solves passive and comfortable IR NV use, daylight use, 1x to 5x with a simple head movement, allows clip on thermal to be mounted more comfortably, and weighs about 15 oz.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
A simple paint mark for quick indexing of the ADM RH25 mount.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The Steiner MPS comes with a Doctor/Noblex steel mount which ironically is EXACTLY the mounting surface machined into the top of the Vortex 5x.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks promising, but $100 more than the PA mount. I already have the PA mount set up on mine so I'm not redoing everything and spending $100 more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By witchking777:
Gentlemen, may I present the answer to your dilemma. This setup solves passive and comfortable IR NV use, daylight use, 1x to 5x with a simple head movement, allows clip on thermal to be mounted more comfortably, and weighs about 15 oz.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315499/17116083161007980268151352422894_jpg-3171554.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315499/1711608450394435490429813432206_jpg-3171557.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315499/17116089208175174660153184372403_jpg-3171563.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315499/17116084102573412685006454747639_jpg-3171555.JPG
View Quote

I really like what you've done here, absolutely elegant and keeping it all on the receiver.

When I've contemplated a prism + dot, I've gone looking for mounts that would bring the prism down to about 1.3" or so to get the dot lower but adding thermal changes the equation a bit (unless a lower thermal mount is possible? I haven't gone down that road yet).
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

I really like what you've done here, absolutely elegant and keeping it all on the receiver.

When I've contemplated a prism + dot, I've gone looking for mounts that would bring the prism down to about 1.3" or so to get the dot lower but adding thermal changes the equation a bit (unless a lower thermal mount is possible? I haven't gone down that road yet).
View Quote

I am with you on this.  I have the older PA 5x prism with a reflex on top and I had to remove the riser to get the dot at a height that I liked.  I get a nice "chin weld" with this setup.  But, I don't have nods nor thermal so that doesn't factor into the equation.  Pic just because that is what we do

I really like this setup, and if only the prism had a better reticle I would love it.  Well, but for the weight
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

I am with you on this.  I have the older PA 5x prism with a reflex on top and I had to remove the riser to get the dot at a height that I liked.  I get a nice "chin weld" with this setup.  But, I don't have nods nor thermal so that doesn't factor into the equation.  Pic just because that is what we do

https://i.imgur.com/NKZ3FYO.jpg

I really like this setup, and if only the prism had a better reticle I would love it.  Well, but for the weight
View Quote

That's the kind of setup I'd like to experiment with. How much more effort does it take to scrunch down and get a proper sight picture with that low prism compared to the 1.54ish height? For reference, I found that using an issued RCO (in front of Matech sight) with issued kit took was significantly more uncomfortable/unnatural compared to my personal LPVO setup. Would a laser mounted on the end of that rail mess with the sight picture?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#15]

That's the kind of setup I'd like to experiment with. How much more effort does it take to scrunch down and get a proper sight picture with that low prism compared to the 1.54ish height? For reference, I found that using an issued RCO (in front of Matech sight) with issued kit took was significantly more uncomfortable/unnatural compared to my personal LPVO setup. Would a laser mounted on the end of that rail mess with the sight picture?
View Quote

I have no problem at all getting my eye in position, but I wouldn't want to go any lower.  I like to use a TLR-1 HL pistol light inverted on the top rail and it creates a significant shadow in the lower half of the sight picture of the prism so I cannot do that on this one.  I think a laser would do the same.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know if the diameter of the 2x is the same as the 5x?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]
2x is 32mm. I was looking for a compatible ring mount from Badger or Reptilia but not a common size so no dice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I run the ADM 1.41" mount with my PA 5x and dot on the PA 12 o'clock mount. My cheek weld for the 5x is fine & the chin weld is good enough if using the dot.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top