Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2024 10:33:55 AM EDT
I built a carbine (16" barrel) with a mid-length gas system several years ago.  I robbed an H3 buffer out of another mediocre rifle that I have.  I'm concerned about potential reliability issues.  For comparison, my Colt 6920 comes supplied with an H2 buffer.

Is it foolhardy to depend on this rifle in, say, cold weather, or when using .223 ammunition?

I looked up buffer weights, and it's hard to believe that the small amount of difference in mass between an H2 and an H3 could turn a rifle into a jammomatic, but I want to hear the group's opinions.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you noticed any issues so far? What direction is the brass ejected on weaker rounds?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
A 16" mid-length shouldn't need a H3, but it's going to depend on your gas port size. What barrel are we talking about? It might function beautifully with a H1. No way of knowing without more information.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
No way for us to know. You should take the rifle out on a cold day and shoot some weak .223 ammo through it and report back.

Personally, I would just slap an H buffer in there and not worry about it. People are too wrapped up in ejection patterns and fine tuning a rifle. So what if it ejects at 2 o'clock with pissin hot M193 in August? It will run anytime and anywhere on pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
Have you noticed any issues so far? What direction is the brass ejected on weaker rounds?
View Quote

No issues with 400rds or so through it, but that is under ideal range conditions is sunny, warm Arizona.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
A 16" mid-length shouldn't need a H3, but it's going to depend on your gas port size. What barrel are we talking about? It might function beautifully with a H1. No way of knowing without more information.
View Quote

It's a Daniel Defense lightweight barrel.  I wrote the gas port size down in my build journal, but can't remember what it is off-hand.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Why jump to an H3 right off the bat?  This falls under the heading of fixing shit that ain't broke.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
No way for us to know. You should take the rifle out on a cold day and shoot some weak .223 ammo through it and report back.

Personally, I would just slap an H buffer in there and not worry about it. People are too wrapped up in ejection patterns and fine tuning a rifle. So what if it ejects at 2 o'clock with pissin hot M193 in August? It will run anytime and anywhere on pretty much anything.
View Quote

I'll admit that I was hoping for "It's totally fine, nothing to worry about, an H3 buffer is about ideal anyway," but I think this is probably the next best answer, lol.

I conform to the GD stereotype in that I don't shoot much, and am leary about depleting my ammunition stores during a time of relative scarcity.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Why jump to an H3 right off the bat?  This falls under the heading of fixing shit that ain't broke.
View Quote

I robbed that buffer out of a Rock River carbine that I have.  I don't recall there being any reason other than that is what I had, at the time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

I robbed that buffer out of a Rock River carbine that I have.  I don't recall there being any reason other than that is what I had, at the time.
View Quote

If you have a standard carbine buffer in a gun you can swap a steel weight with a tungsten weight from the H3 and have an H1 and an H2, respectively.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you suppressing this? If not, H3 seems excessive unless you’re exclusively running hot ammo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#11]
GP diameter and ammo type are key factors as well as the action spring.

No way should an H3 be needed and it'll most likely cause you issues with cold weather, weak ammo, and/or a dirty gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

No way should an H3 be needed and it'll most likely cause you issues with cold weather, weak ammo, and/or a dirty gun.
View Quote

What do you recommend?  An H buffer?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
Are you suppressing this? If not, H3 seems excessive unless you’re exclusively running hot ammo.
View Quote

No, no suppressor unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

H1 and USGI  spring.

You may even be fine with an H2, but why add more reciprocating weight than necessary ?

DD barrel should have an appropriately sized GP diameter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Admirer] [#17]
H1 is generally recommended for midlength gas systems. H1 buffers are inexpensive. MidwayUSA sells a Noveske H1 at a good price.

You could use a heavier buffer (H2-H3) at the range to use with hotter ammo if you want... but put in a lower weight buffer (H1) in it for potential self defense use.

I would definitely not use a H3 with a midlength for potential reliability unless I had an overgassed situation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I run a standard buffer and a GI spring in a 16" midi. In fairness, I have a Superlative Arms AGB but it's not tuned down much. The goal was something that would eat anything and to date it has, from 90 degree summer heat to 10 degree Maine winters. I don't know if you can extrapolate much from that but I would probably back down on the buffer weight were it my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered a Noveske H-buffer.

Thank you all for your help.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I really think the H (same thing as H1, just different terminology) will do you right.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#21]

H1 and USGI  spring.

You may even be fine with an H2, but why add more reciprocating weight than necessary ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

H1 and USGI  spring.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top