Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2024 2:26:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahcollier1991]
I have an old Bushmaster XM-15 that I dragged out of the gun locker and want to fiddle with.

First order of business is to get rid of the Mil-Spec Front Sight Tower & Gas Block in favor of a low profile gas block.

As I shop for gas blocks, I note that they come in a variety of diameters. Two questions:

1) What’s the external diameter of my Mil-Spec barrel? Is it 0.75 inches?

2) Where can I look that up since BM is defunct?

Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#1]
A simple cheap set of calipers would tell you for sure.

If you don’t have calipers (and don’t want to go spend $10-$20 at your local HF), it’s typically pretty easy to tell.  .625 journals basically only come on LW or pencil profile barrels.  Basically everything else (that isn’t a bull barrel or precision barrel) is going to be .750.  Hell, you can usually just tell by looking at it.

As for looking it up, I’m not really sure.  A picture would help.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ahcollier1991:

First order of business is to get rid of the Mil-Spec Front Sight Tower & Gas Block in favor of a low profile gas block.

As I shop for gas blocks, I note that they come in a variety of diameters. Two questions:

1) What’s the external diameter of my Mil-Spec barrel? Is it 0.75 inches?

2) Where can I look that up since BM is defunct?

View Quote

I can't help you with dimensions, but if you can't find a good match you can chop the front sight down with an angle grinder and a Dremmel;

https://youtu.be/5sBqDpi-Cb4?si=fPUlMq1OMMJX8-or
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Find the rail you want, buy it & send the rail with the upper to John ThomasHave him cut the existing one down & mount your rail. Nothing will fit better/be more secure than a pinned gas block.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Just so you know, Bushmaster has been back up and running for a few years now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VLODPG:
Find the rail you want, buy it & send the rail with the upper to John ThomasHave him cut the existing one down & mount your rail. Nothing will fit better/be more secure than a pinned gas block.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: Today 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By VLODPG:
View Quote

This is a great option because your barrel was not parkerized under the FSB and you will need to cover the pin holes and areas of bare steel. A normal low profile gas block won't work. Also, the FSB requires quite a bit of reprofiling to fit under a rail. You can't just chop the A-frame, bayonet lug, and sling swivel... you must contour the base where the pins are. This makes a refinish mandatory because not much of the original finish will be left if the FSB chop is done right.
Link Posted: Today 8:08:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#8]
Originally Posted By DevL:

This is a great option because your barrel was not parkerized under the FSB and you will need to cover the pin holes and areas of bare steel. A normal low profile gas block won't work. Also, the FSB requires quite a bit of reprofiling to fit under a rail. You can't just chop the A-frame, bayonet lug, and sling swivel... you must contour the base where the pins are. This makes a refinish mandatory because not much of the original finish will be left if the FSB chop is done right.
View Quote

THIS is a great option for converting previous FSBGB barrels to LPGB. It covers the taper pin channels entirely.  Hit the exposed metal with some cold blue if so inclined. Easy enough to pin if desired as well.

Attachment Attached File

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top