Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2024 11:48:45 AM EDT
Like the title says, I am starting my first build. I bought a stripped lower M4E1 in kodiak brown. I want to slowly buy parts and build it by myself, for myself. Hopefully this is the right location for this post, im new here.

I had a question about whether or not buying the enhanced version vs threaded version is worth it? I understand i can only use Aero's enhanced handgaurd with that particular upper. Are there other things to be aware of with these enhanced parts?

Second question is Aero always seems to be out of the stripped enhanced uppers in brown. Is there a better place to be looking for these? Ive looked around places that have been suggested to me. But everywhere i look only has the threaded M4E1s.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a HUNDRED PLACES that sell Aero receivers and cheaper than Aero sells them on their own site.

Aimsurplus is one of my personal favorites.

Just personal preference, but I'm not big on proprietary stuff. I prefer to be able to use whatever handguard I want. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the Atlas handguards.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I also would recommend not using the enhanced upper, unless you’re really into the rail it uses. Otherwise, the world is your oyster.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If you buy the Enhanced version, you will regret it in the future.  It locks you into ONE handguard, which by the way, is HUGE in circumference.  The only reason to use that Enhanced variant is if you want to build an upper with a suppressor set back into the rail. Otherwise, the M4E1 is the best option, as nearly every rail/forend on the planet will fit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I like the enhanced upper/handguards and have been using them exclusively for years.

The handguard attaches directly to the receiver, not the barrel nut so it is more rigid.  Usually don't have to worry about indexing the barrel nut for the gas tube.  Just torque to the value you want.  Plenty of room under the handguard for most any gas block.  I don't think the handguards are too big.  I don't mind having to use a specific handguard.  It's not like change them anyway.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
I also would recommend not using the enhanced upper, unless you’re really into the rail it uses. Otherwise, the world is your oyster.
View Quote

x3 ^^^
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input. I am specifically building this as an Aero gun. Had the expectation to use only their recievers and handgaurd anyway.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah. I intended to build an "Aero" gun. At least their receivers and handguard. Eventually i would like to supress it, so setting it back into the handguard sounds cool! Hadnt thought of that. Thank you for the advice
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Having built one years ago, I'd say no. You can still buy an aero receiver and handguard, but skip the enhanced. It sounds cool in theory, but not only are you locked into specific handguards, but I've found that the stupid little torx screws strip way too easy. If you decide you want to change barrels, use a BRT tube, a different gas block, you may find that to be a whole lot more difficult that you expected. That's just my experience with it, but id never do it again. Also wort considering, unless they've changed things since I did mine, it requires a rather large diameter handguard. If you want to go with M4E1 receivers, that's fine. I'd get the one with the standard threads though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BrickYak:
Eventually i would like to supress it, so setting it back into the handguard sounds cool! Hadnt thought of that. Thank you for the advice
View Quote

Plenty of reading material on this too. I'll give you the one word summary - heat. Do you want a suppressor under your hand? I don't. Sure, it looks cool. Whether or not it's practical has varying opinions.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BrickYak:
Yeah. I intended to build an "Aero" gun. At least their receivers and handguard. Eventually i would like to supress it, so setting it back into the handguard sounds cool! Hadnt thought of that. Thank you for the advice
View Quote

Maybe just tuck the rear, but a can surrounded by aluminum is gonna get HOT
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
Personally I like the enhanced upper/handguards and have been using them exclusively for years.

The handguard attaches directly to the receiver, not the barrel nut so it is more rigid.  Usually don't have to worry about indexing the barrel nut for the gas tube.  Just torque to the value you want.  Plenty of room under the handguard for most any gas block.  I don't think the handguards are too big.  I don't mind having to use a specific handguard.  It's not like change them anyway.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/20221017_115303__Medium__jpg-3151053.JPG

View Quote

And there's the totally legitimate upside. They must be selling or they'd stop making them. Just not my preference.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Aero Enhanced is fine for precision rigs, maybe not the ticket for CQB or recce.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Might not be right for you if you play Musical Chair with parts, I have built a couple and like them.
I built a precision rifle out of one with a Larue 20" barrel and it can cloverleaf at 100 yards with IMI 77gr OTM MOD1 when I do my part.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Just an FYI, if you get the enhanced upper then you are pretty much locked into their compatible rail, or other BAR nut type rail, however with the standard upper you can use any rail you like, even the BAR type rail from Aero.

Remember that the Atlas rails are not for the enhanced uppers, but they do look much better on a threaded M4E1 upper than other non-Aero rails would.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By x248716x:
Aero Enhanced is fine for precision rigs, maybe not the ticket for CQB or recce.
View Quote

Why not? The enhanced rails are much stronger on the receiver than standard rails. I can only think they would be superior for cqb type stuff too, especially if the rifle gets banged around much. Extra strength is never not better.;)
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#16]
Originally Posted By Rbass:

Why not? The enhanced rails are much stronger on the receiver than standard rails. I can only think they would be superior for cqb type stuff too, especially if the rifle gets banged around much. Extra strength is never not better.;)
View Quote

Totally agree, the only drawback is the non-standard design, though its not a huge deal as other BAR type rails can be used, or the build can be moved to a standard receiver, if ever needed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By x248716x:

Girth.

for ease of handling, transport in cramped spaces, shooting alongside barriers, usually you want the slimmer profile.  yeah, it comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#18]
The OD, or girth, of the enhanced rail is only an issue if you might have less than large hands.

I’m 6’3” and find the Aero rails to be very comfortable for my hands, but others may not.

I have the enhanced rail on my .308 and it’s looks and feels great.

This is on a standard upper with a BAR nut mount, works fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I built my AR9 pistol with a barreled Aero upper. Runs 100%. Is it the best or lightest? No, but didn't cost a fortune & works.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top