Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2024 3:36:48 PM EDT
I am looking at getting something to do some dry firing drills at home. I am helping to take care of my father who is in the final stages of dementia and leukemia and I am unable to get to the range (not sure when this will change but its been two years since I have been able to go and shoot). I want something that I can use with a laser and a trigger reset. My idea for training with a device like this, is to bring the rifle into my shoulder, see the dot of my optic and pull the trigger. Maybe doing transitions as well. I'm thinking more of single shot training right now and later follow up shots while moving to a different target.

I also want to find something for my handgun that works. I would like to use the trigger reset magazine (can't think of the name right now), but this is at a later date. I really want to get some drills in with my rifle.

Has anyone used Mantis? If so, how do you like it?

What is the difference between Mantis Blackbeard and Blackbeard X? Can they both use the app?

What are some good drills on the app to use?

I feel like our house has some good areas to do some dry firing drills. Two long hallways and a second floor. I feel like I could get very creative with using Mantis, unless there are some other options out there that are beter. We are building onto our house to take care of my dad, so I have some extra areas to set up targets and make them work in different scenarios plus the drills on the app. In my mind, first trigger pull and first shot is where I really want to practice and then later work on my transitions.

I am even thinking about getting an Air Soft rifle and using it outside in my backyard. I would really like to practice with the AR's that I use, over a metal Air Soft rifle. But, there is some training value with one too.

I am open to suggestions and feedback.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
In for answers.

I've been considering it for a while but I've read so many complaints.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkHatfield] [#2]
Mantis.  I met a new shooter who loves it.  I also learned that a half dozen friends who are experienced shooters bought it, then got rid of it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Mantis.  I met a new shooter who loves it.  I also earned that a half dozen friends who are experienced shooters bought it, then got rid of it.
View Quote

What did new shooters like about it?

Also, what did the experience shooters hate about it?

I feel like it’s been so long since I’ve shot that I’m a new shooter again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:

What did new shooters like about it?

Also, what did the experience shooters hate about it?

I feel like it’s been so long since I’ve shot that I’m a new shooter again.
View Quote

I don't remember the details except for one, it is ok with a weak grip.  There were comments that they were just as well off with their regular dryfire practice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:

I don't remember the details except for one, it is ok with a weak grip.  There were comments that they were just as well off with their regular dryfire practice.
View Quote

What do you mean by weak grip?

I think the trigger reset is a big deal and one that makes dry firing more enjoyable. At least to me it would.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really curious about the Mantis Blackbeard. Seems like a really good way to teach trigger control and optic offset to new shooters and practice the same at home.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Coolfire Trainer along with Mantis X.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jhon:
I'm really curious about the Mantis Blackbeard. Seems like a really good way to teach trigger control and optic offset to new shooters and practice the same at home.
View Quote

Yes I agree. I’m looking for something to do that and just some drills. And it would help me get use to looking through my red dots and at the target too. It’s been years since I’ve shot a rifle and back then I was using iron sights. So I feel this will help.

My only other issue is, should I go with a red or green laser? I have a mix of red and green reticles.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
View Quote

I will look that up. Thanks! Does it do trigger reset?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voodochild:

Yup. It mimics an actual shot. Really cool system. Takes dry firing to another level.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Mr. Dryfire himself put a review on the Mantis X system.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#12]
I have the mantis blackbeard.

I think it works well. Mines infrared for use with NV. I just put up ispc targets and practice hitting them without the app. The infrared laser is quite bright so its easy to see.

The first mantis I got was broke on the first day. I handed it to a friend to look at, while he was inserting the mag he touched both terminals to the magwell which made a popping noise and bricked the battery.

If you actually use your guns and have exposed aluminum in the magwell make sure you don't touch the terminals to it when inserting the mag.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Coolfire trainer seems... cool.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I am going to venture into Mantis Blackbeard X. I just need to figure out red or green laser. I have a mix of both red and green reticles.

What laser would you guys suggest?

I also picked up a target today just to use for this. So I guess I'm going to jump into it at some point soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I am going to venture into Mantis Blackbeard X. I just need to figure out red or green laser. I have a mix of both red and green reticles.

I also picked up a target today just to use for this. So I guess I'm going to jump into it at some point soon.
View Quote

An electronic target? Check its specs. Some are sensitive only to red lasers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LeeTN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LeeTN:

It’s a paper target. It shows vital areas of the body. Not that I would practice hitting heart and head type of deal. Center mass is what I want. It was just something for visual. And it’s human size torso too. Or at least I think it is. I’ve never held it up to compare it against me.

I have some long halls in our house I can set it up and use.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:43:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MaxxII] [#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#18]

That’s really interesting. I’ll dig deeper into that too. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I just pulled the trigger on a Blackbeard X with the green laser. I made the decision for green since all my optics are red and I don't intend to use any software that will require a red laser. Green is supposed to be easier to see in brighter conditions.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#20]

I just pulled the trigger on a Blackbeard X with the green laser. I made the decision for green since all my optics are red and I don't intend to use any software that will require a red laser. Green is supposed to be easier to see in brighter conditions.
View All Quotes

Awesome! Keep me posted. I’ve got a mix of optics both red and green. My eyes pick up either color well but I tend to like green reticles. My Eotech 512 and Vortex UH-1 are both red.

What software would require a red laser?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Awesome! Keep me posted. I’ve got a mix of optics both red and green. My eyes pick up either color well but I tend to like green reticles. My Eotech 512 and Vortex UH-1 are both red.

View Quote

I don't recall the name of it, but there's a program that uses a projector that requires a red laser. I believe Mantis is working on something similar that should work with both.

I received mine and have spent a couple hours with it. I bought it as a training tool for myself and to see if it'll work in a professional environment. So far my thoughts are positive. The green laser is very bright and easy to pick up. For a training tool it'll allow you to get inexperienced shooters reps on the rifle while focusing on stance, grip, and trigger control. I ran my wife through it and she enjoyed it. All of the drills I've worked on have been close range to work on making accurate shots fast and it really shines for that.

The only negative I've seen is you can out run the Laser Academy app if your splits are less than .18 or so. If you're shooting drills requiring specific number of shots you basically keep shooting until it says finished which is more realistic than counting shots anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#22]

I don't recall the name of it, but there's a program that uses a projector that requires a red laser. I believe Mantis is working on something similar that should work with both.

I received mine and have spent a couple hours with it. I bought it as a training tool for myself and to see if it'll work in a professional environment. So far my thoughts are positive. The green laser is very bright and easy to pick up. For a training tool it'll allow you to get inexperienced shooters reps on the rifle while focusing on stance, grip, and trigger control. I ran my wife through it and she enjoyed it. All of the drills I've worked on have been close range to work on making accurate shots fast and it really shines for that.

The only negative I've seen is you can out run the Laser Academy app if your splits are less than .18 or so. If you're shooting drills requiring specific number of shots you basically keep shooting until it says finished which is more realistic than counting shots anyway.
View All Quotes

I think this sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I am not really worried about time or shot clocks. I want something to show me that I am on target and help me get used to using optics at both close range and some distance. I'm thinking both 25-50 or so feet. I will use this in my backyard as well.

How do you think it will work in a professional environment? What type of environment if I can ask?

I keep thinking about ready up drills and at close quarters within my house. I feel like this training aid is limited by only our imagination.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#23]
I have a Mantis with the red beamz, a projector, and a projector screen on order. Hanging the projector set up in the garage and signing up for dryfireonline’s interactive thing to hopefully turn practice into a video game for both myself and the boy. (Only works with red by the way.)

Will update with initial thought on the Mantis but might be a little bit before I get the projector stuff set up.

The days of needing $10k for those interactive training systems you see in videos are very close to over.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
I have a Mantis with the red beamz, a projector, and a projector screen on order. Hanging the projector set up in the garage and signing up for dryfireonline’s interactive thing to hopefully turn practice into a video game for both myself and the boy. (Only works with red by the way.)

Will update with initial thought on the Mantis but might be a little bit before I get the projector stuff set up.

The days of needing $10k for those interactive training systems you see in videos are very close to over.
View Quote

Now that not only sounds interesting but fun too. Keep me posted and enjoy the time with your son. I bet it will be an awesome training tool and experience.

I wonder why it won't work with green? I run both red and green dots and was leaning towards the red laser, but the green was also very appealing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Now that not only sounds interesting but fun too. Keep me posted and enjoy the time with your son. I bet it will be an awesome training tool and experience.

I wonder why it won't work with green? I run both red and green dots and was leaning towards the red laser, but the green was also very appealing.
View Quote

It uses your phone as a sensor so it likely varies by device, but apparently most phones have trouble with green. I could see why as red shows up a bit darker.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#26]

It uses your phone as a sensor so it likely varies by device, but apparently most phones have trouble with green. I could see why as red shows up a bit darker.
View All Quotes

Okay that actually makes sense. I can see that. I can't wait to order mine. I need to do that soon. It will be very helpful to shake off the rust of not shooting in so long.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Mantis and LaserAmmo
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:11:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#28]

Okay that actually makes sense. I can see that. I can't wait to order mine. I need to do that soon. It will be very helpful to shake off the rust of not shooting in so long.

Keep us posted.
View Quote

ETA: Dry Fire claims they do work with green lasers. Saw a guy on Reddit claim it didn’t but that could have been glare related.

Will do. Dry Fire Online costs a monthly subscription for the worthwhile stuff but I totally get it. Building all that out took a hefty bit of money I’d bet. If it works I could see myself using it every day anyway.

This shows the tiers but more importantly the data it can collect from your shots and the customization you can do. Looks pretty awesome.
DryFireOnline.com Laser Training: Subscriptions Explained
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ducati650] [#29]
I have Mantis Blackbeard X for use with my ARs. I like most things about it and it works very well. The "X" version sends motion data to your phone or Ipad then graphs your movement and provides feedback about grip, hold and trigger-control problems. I have improved my accuracy and speed with this system. The fact that it resets the trigger allows rapid, natural follow up shots. Some of my favorite exercises involve timed shooting at multiple targets. Because of the mechanics involved, your rapid fire is not as fast as real life if you are trained and can able to really let them rip. I never really measured it but I think 2 per second is not a problem. In multi-target, aimed exercises, ten COM-hits in 10 seconds are quite possible and multiple hits on a single target are even faster.

I use my Iphone with the Laser Academy software to get accuracy feedback and my Ipad with the Mantis-X software to get motion feedback. They can work simultaneously.

The way the system works is you set up your targets and position your camera to see them. When you "fire" a shot, the camera sees the momentary laser impact on the target. Each target has fiducials that ID the target so that the camera displays the POI adjusted to the difference between POA and POI.  The laser, part of the Blackbeard "BCG", has limited adjustment because the diameter of the 5.56mm barrel does not allow the laser to be adjusted far enough to correct for the height-above-bore offset. To get around this, you adjust the laser beam to be centered in the barrel then do a calibration. During calibration, you shoot at your desired POI and the camera software measures the distance between your POA and the location of the laser impact. you can then save this "correction" and when you go back to "normal" mode, the impact shown on your camera display will be adjusted for the offset. The more accurately you center the laser beam, the less distance variations will affect the POA vs POI after calibration. I can do 5 yards and stretch it to about 10 yards only modest shifts.

I found that if a put a piece of "Press and Seal" snugly across the flash suppressor or can and turn on the laser, that I can center the beam by seeing it on the film. (Don't look straight into the beam!) Once centered to my satisfaction, I do the offset calibration and am good to go.

The software in a given device remembers only 1 offset calibration. This is my biggest gripe about the laser academy. if you have more than one weapon, only the one you calibrated will accurately reflect POA vs POI. If you center carefully and the sight's height above bore is the same, you can use the single calibration with reasonable accuracy.

What I do is swap the Iphone and Ipad for my ARs and my Glocks. One is calibrated for my Glock offsets (they all have MRD mounted) and the other is calibrated for my ARs (very similar sight heights).

The software lets you enter your various weapons and select them for your results data but does not allow a different offset to be stored for each individual weapon. I have talked to Mantis about this and they said they would present it to their engineers.

I guess I could also calibrate with my wife's Iphone and Ipad and have 4 calibrations but that might not be a good idea. LOL.

[EDIT] The Mantis Blackbeard resets the trigger and works with Laser Academy but does not provide motion data. Blackbeard -X adds motion to the data and works with Laser Academy and Mantis-X software. To get POI feedback, Blackbeard and Blackbeard-X need to be used with Laser Academy and its targets. Mantis Laser Academy is available in the App Store and the targets are downloadable from the Mantis Laser Academy site. Both are free but to get full access to all targets and training exercises, in app purchases are required. You can buy individual or bundled items.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#30]
ETA: Removing my review as I realized the example I received is separating at the mold which likely caused my problems. Will update later.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I have had my blackbeard since they came out. It's fun to use the laser and the trigger reset, but the laser academy is absolute trash. I have never gotten the app to work well. I just put cardboard targets up and shoot them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Tug153:
I have had my blackbeard since they came out. It's fun to use the laser and the trigger reset, but the laser academy is absolute trash. I have never gotten the app to work well. I just put cardboard targets up and shoot them.
View Quote

This is what I want to do and just ready up drills. Getting use to my optics and trigger squeeze when I get the rifle to my shoulder. I think this will work perfect for that and my other ideas.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#33]
ETA: Removing my review as I realized the example I received is separating at the mold which likely caused my problems. Will update later.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3315_jpeg-3174206.JPG
View Quote

That sucks. I do know they have great customer service. Hopefully they replace it quick.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:09:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jhon] [#34]

I think this sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I am not really worried about time or shot clocks. I want something to show me that I am on target and help me get used to using optics at both close range and some distance. I'm thinking both 25-50 or so feet. I will use this in my backyard as well.

How do you think it will work in a professional environment? What type of environment if I can ask?

I keep thinking about ready up drills and at close quarters within my house. I feel like this training aid is limited by only our imagination.
View All Quotes

Specifically law enforcement where not everyone is familiar with an AR. We do a lot with simmunitions, which are absolutely awesome but availability can be an issue. I think this would be valuable tool to teach basic rifle skills before a trainee even hits the range. Having the ability to teach shouldering the rifle, stance, safety manipulation and trigger control before firing a single round would eliminate a lot of training scars people end up with when all their training is on the live range. Additionally for on going training with experienced officers that already can run a rifle, this can be used to train more advanced skills like working around cover without needing to setup a live range or simmunition range. The laser gives instructors visual feedback as well. I don't think the app would even be necessary for a lot of these drills.

I agree the use of the Blackbeard is really limited by our imagination. I'm hoping Mantis, or someone else, comes up with a complete slide assembly for common service handguns (Glock, P320, M&P) that does the same thing as the Blackbeard. We don't need simulated recoil as much as we need trigger reset and the laser for visual feedback.

Originally Posted By Tug153:

I'm running it on an iPhone 14 and Laser Academy just works okay, not good enough to pay for anything extra on it though. With the camera and lidar tech in the iPhone the issue is 100% the app and not the phone.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#35]
Mantis said the molding seam blowing out is normal.

I might just return it all together. Having to rezero the laser which then means rezeroing your optic from the thing shifting differently every time you put the battery in is a fun killer.

I also shouldn’t have deleted the part about trigger problems. I can outrun it with my good single action triggers. It causes weird feedback and a clunk as the trigger resets before the piston has returned. It wasn’t a problem on my MilSpec or two stage triggers and is likely related to shorter/faster resets. Having to slow down for it is a bad live fire habit in the making so be aware of that.

In my chrome guns the laser emits a weird reflection that’s like looking through a red dot with an astigmatism. This didn’t happen with my nitride barrels though.  

They should have made the housing in aluminum, had a user set receiver adjustment indexing system or actually made it fit a barrel extension, and used a thinner laser diameter that would be less susceptible to shift. It’s a great concept it’s just not very high quality. I would pay $600 for one that was even 50% better.

If you have the patience for it, it can be a great learning tool. As it sits for me, there’s nothing this really has to offer outside of being a toy. I was going to use it to teach the boy but I think Airsoft would be a better route seeing as you can put a permanent zero on one and use upgraded triggers. I’d rather sweep up BB’s from my garage than have to zero it every time or try and learn the concerning habit of false holds and trigger delays.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I love the Mantix system. It’s unnerving at first the trigger resetting. I did get out of it for awhile but recently got back into it when I got my first lpvo wanting to learn the system.

The Black Beard X differs in that it tracks trgger pull as well.

I prefer training in low light so I found an RGB led light (red, green,blue) on EBay that came with two much better tripods. The short leg one I use for the little rectangular light and the taller tripod is prefect for my iPad with the clampy thing.

I like the hostage target right now. It’s got for added stress and the lol’s
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I did exactly this last month and am still setting up a plan. Here is the list and I love the setup. Not gonna lie I probably dropped over 1k, I kind of got on a roll, but I already shoot better at the indoor range and with the combination of devices I practice a lot more.

1) Blackbeard X
2) Mantis X
3) dry fire mag and laser for p320 that uses a pulse from the mag to trigger the laser. Works great.
4) 3 laser targets from angibee (sp?) on Amazon, white square laser targets that ping when you hit them. I have them set up on 2 different walls in my gun room
4) Laser academy license

So I have a complete load out for my ar and the p320, so transition drills, etc and the feedback from the square targets just for fun.

I have not used the Blackbeard x training yet, just the laser w/targets. You might want to start smaller, I have a lot of things to set up all at once to get started, but the mantis x is already paying dividends at the range.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:48:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#38]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-: but I think Airsoft would be a better route seeing as you can put a permanent zero on one and use upgraded triggers. I’d rather sweep up BB’s from my garage than have to zero it every time or try and learn the concerning habit of false holds and trigger delays.
View Quote

I have the Glock Reset Trigger and LaserAmmo Visible and IR Laser kit.

I use it with the LaserAmmo ii-MTTS 5-pack, and also have to regular Keiron Laser targets and one Keiron Speed target.

The Keiron Speed target has a Timer stop. We can take turns setting up the targets. Next player starts with their backs to the targets. At the beep, engage all targets hitting the Speed last, to stop the timer.

As for Airsoft, yes, I use that for the carbines. Cardboard boxes with old carpeting for the backstop (Airsoft will pinch right through both sides of an Amazon box. Even putting multiple layers of cardboard inside, the little BBs eventually punch through after dozens of hits in the same area.

The carpeting stops the BBs. The box contains them. I use those peel and stick targets on the boxes, so it’s easy to just slap a new target over the ragged hole. Makes less of a mess with scattered BBs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm wondering if I would even use the app. My thought process is doing ready up type of drills. I put a target up in my house, bring rifle to my shoulder and find my dot and pull the trigger. I want to use this to get used to using optics and seeing where the beam hits my target for the first shot and then follow up shots. I know those in real life will be different due to the recoil of the rifle. So this brings me to wondering if just the standard Blackbeard would be fine, or should I go with Blackbeard X for that just in case situation of where I might try out the app and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I have both bits of their system and have found it helpful. I will say that my Blackbeard X broke after about 50 cycles. It stopped resetting the trigger. Upon investigation and testing it appears that something broke within the BCG. They were very quick to get it replaced without any fuss. Yes you can out run the trigger reset functionality, but if you're just wanting to work on some basics or looking to brush up on some skills, I've found that it's helpful. Was it worth 500$? Eh, i'm not sure. maybe 200$ or 250$.

AB
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm wondering if I would even use the app. My thought process is doing ready up type of drills. I put a target up in my house, bring rifle to my shoulder and find my dot and pull the trigger. I want to use this to get used to using optics and seeing where the beam hits my target for the first shot and then follow up shots. I know those in real life will be different due to the recoil of the rifle. So this brings me to wondering if just the standard Blackbeard would be fine, or should I go with Blackbeard X for that just in case situation of where I might try out the app and enjoy it.
View Quote
I had initially bought the regular, same thought process, and had buyers remorse, as the app has Blackbeard X specific drills. I thought I could use the Mantix X and the black beard for the same thing, but I had seen on reddit that the drills were locked to the X.

To be fair, I haven't done the drills yet either though.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By agentblack:
I have both bits of their system and have found it helpful. I will say that my Blackbeard X broke after about 50 cycles. It stopped resetting the trigger. Upon investigation and testing it appears that something broke within the BCG. They were very quick to get it replaced without any fuss. Yes you can out run the trigger reset functionality, but if you're just wanting to work on some basics or looking to brush up on some skills, I've found that it's helpful. Was it worth 500$? Eh, i'm not sure. maybe 200$ or 250$.

AB
View Quote

Its good to know that they have great customer service but sucks that these seem to fail. I really want to get one, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money if its going to have issues like these. I do want to brush up on muscle memory function and trigger squeeze. Maybe more. I would have to just think of things that I want to work on and try out. I'm torn now whether or not I should buy it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jt526:
I had initially bought the regular, same thought process, and had buyers remorse, as the app has Blackbeard X specific drills. I thought I could use the Mantix X and the black beard for the same thing, but I had seen on reddit that the drills were locked to the X.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jt526:

I need to dive deeper into the app and what it may have that I would love to use.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#44]

I need to dive deeper into the app and what it may have that I would love to use.
View Quote
They do have an upgrade path to the Blackbeard X, you can buy the $175 Blackbeard X magazine on their website and then trade in your regular Non-X magazine for $50 credit back. So net it would cost you about $25-$40 more than buying the X outright for an the additional $100. I almost did that thinking my buyers remorse shouldn't be the stores problem, but I also was disappointed in the product that the the AR15 drills were locked to having the Blackbeard X not the Mantis X. I had already even made a 3d printed magazine sleeve to use my Mantis X on the powerbank. So I just returned and bought the X.

https://mantisx.com/collections/all-items/products/blackbeard-ar15-replacement-magazine

https://mantisx.com/pages/trade-in-program

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#46]
Well the boy insisted we keep it so here we are.

We ran it down to 2 bars of power. Coming up on 4 hours of charging and it’s still at 2 bars of power. Searched and they said it can take up to 20 hours to charge, despite saying on their site it only takes 2 hours? I also found out none of my chargers work for it, then noticed the one provided has a plug that is extra long compared to normal USB micro spec. Sure enough none of my normal USB micro chargers are long enough to engage the charging port.

I hate constantly dogging on it when it is fun and convenient, but man this thing really is a bare minimum effort in the quality department.  

One area of major improvement I’ll call out is point shooting though. Not the best practice to do, but my improvements not using the sights have become pretty crisp. It’s humbling to actually try it and see how complicated point shooting is. When you hear people say “don’t even need to aim at that distance”, they’re likely running off of assumption and a very wrong one at that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I’m still on the fence with buying it. I think I’m going to. It seems they have good customer service if something should break. I really need to practice and getting to the range just isn’t in the cards for me right now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top