BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Cloud Rein 3.0 (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/10/2022 9:06:17 PM EDT
Looks interesting.  Would like to see some beam shots soon.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm happy CD continues to innovate. I'd be ecstatic with an IR head for my OWL, but it seems the rein series has fully taken priority.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I was already planning on picking one up
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks great. I will pick one up for my next upper most likely.
Nothing but Surefire lights to this point but they've really been eclipsed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a nice light. I am glad this one will take non rechargeables in a pinch.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the rein lights work with regular surefire scout type mounts?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 7:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: awd_xtc] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tug153:
View Quote

Mounts yes, surefire switches no
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By awd_xtc:

No
View Quote

What MLOK mounts do you need to get these bolted up?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]

No
View Quote

What?

Yes they do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

What MLOK mounts do you need to get these bolted up?
View Quote

Scout mounts are fine
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
How is this different from other lights?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fltacoma:
View Quote

It's performance vastly exceeds competitive options, at least on paper.

There are no other scout pattern weaponlights that output like these do.  Perhaps some of the Zbolt or WELtool stuff does but...meh.  Those aren't LED based.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]

No
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No

Stop. REINs work perfectly with scout pattern mounts and were designed to do exactly that.

Post less. Read more.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Ordered
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Its not "different", outside of being a higher level of performance. CD uses 18650 batteries (mostly). Remember when we went from AA/AAA to CR123? Remember when we went from Incan to LED? Going from CR123 to 18650 is a similar branch in technology except in this case its performance increase is in run time and reduced cost. You wouldnt necessarily see any output differences, but the 18650 config will have a significantly longer runtime than a CR123 setup. Additionally, 18650s are meant to be recharged so rather than "one and done" you simply recharge the battery.

If you use it alot that can add up. At a buck a battery for CR123, or $10 for one 18650 that can be recharged hundreds of times...... (I'll not go down the "but my RCR123" path)
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

100,000 candela. Which is waaay more than any of the like-type weapon lights are producing. Even the REIN 2.0 and Modlite OKW
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]

No
View All Quotes

No

100% incorrect. I have 3 of them on Arisaka scout mounts, 2 offset and 1 inline.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AKoch31:

What?

Yes they do.
View Quote

For some reason i thought it said switches
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

Stop. REINs work perfectly with scout pattern mounts and were designed to do exactly that.

Post less. Read more.
View Quote

Stop trying to be a tough guy, i made a mistake and thought he was talking about switches.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Cloud Defensive REIN 3.0 vs. 2.0 MICRO vs. HLX
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#20]

No
View Quote
My arisaka offset scout mounts on all 3 of my REINs disagree.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
View Quote

Perhaps you should actually read the entire post
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Welp, these things are absurdly bright.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I ended up buying one, and yes, it does fit scout mounts. It is super bright.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#24]
My Rein 3.0 came with a pad tailcap. The pressure pad worked fine, the tailcap was intermittent. CD replaced it quickly for free. Now all works as intended. I have Modlite OKW's, an HRT AWLS (90k Candela, 1700 Lumen), and this Rein 3.0. The HRT and CD look comparable in temperature and beam pattern. I haven't taken them to a long enough distance to see any of them really out perform the other in throw. The CD and HRT are both a little wider spill for close work, which I like. I think it will come down to photonic barrier penetration but they all look really good and more than get the job done. We live in an age of luxury when it comes to lights.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Hox:
My Rein 3.0 came with a pad tailcap. The pressure pad worked fine, the tailcap was intermittent. CD replaced it quickly for free. Now all works as intended. I have Modlite OKW's, an HRT AWLS (90k Candela, 1700 Lumen), and this Rein 3.0. The HRT and CD look comparable in temperature and beam pattern. I haven't taken them to a long enough distance to see any of them really out perform the other in throw. The CD and HRT are both a little wider spill for close work, which I like. I think it will come down to photonic barrier penetration but they all look really good and more than get the job done. We live in an age of luxury when it comes to lights.
View Quote

@Hox

How well does the 3.0 light up a room?  One thing I loved about the surefire DF, before it stopped working, was how well it lit a room.  It put light everywhere.  Is the 3.0 just one defined hot spot with a little spill or something else?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I have had the duel fuel and the 3.0. The 3.0 has no problem lighting up a room. There is plenty of spill.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By camarofrk:

@Hox

How well does the 3.0 light up a room?  One thing I loved about the surefire DF, before it stopped working, was how well it lit a room.  It put light everywhere.  Is the 3.0 just one defined hot spot with a little spill or something else?  Thanks.
View Quote

It's actually quite a usable spill for in a room. It definitely has a defined hot spit but theres a secondary outer spill ring that is plenty wide for a room. Plus there is so much light bouncing off walls that you'll light stuff up outside the beam pattern in an enclosed space.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Hox and Tug.  I think I'll have to get one and try it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:57:37 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:

Perhaps you should edit the post. There's a button right under it that allows you to do so.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Picked up the Rein 3. Havent had a chance to really use it but initial impression is good, but I expected as much given how much I enjoy my full size MCH.

That said, I'm a bit on the fence about the design of the light. The body has predrilled mounting holes to use to screw the light to the mount you use (Whether a pic mount or the offsets sold by CD). Due to the mount on the body being fxed, they have made a keyed tailcap which you can rotate to orientate the cord as you need. At first I thought this was a really neat design and appreciated the tailcap being keyed so you can adjust it. But after playing with it for a while, frankly this all feels needlessly complicated. Thats not necessarily a negative against the light mind you, but I think they could have simplified things a bit by simply going with the standard 1" sleeve that slides over the light, allowing you to simply spin in the light in the mount to orientate the cable rather than doing all this keyed tailcap setup.

Again, I dont consider it a negative against the light or the design. I'm sure there was some decisions made in that regard that I obviously am not aware of, and I damn sure wouldnt use that as a reason not to buy the light. But, it did make me kind of scratch my head and chuckle and think CD must employ a few German engineers on their team.

No regrets, definitely recommend if you want a "Damn that throws" sort of light. My HD gun runs a Streamlight as its every bit as good inside "HD Defense" sorts of distances, the CD sits on my "Dark field" sort of rifle where I may need to bang a racoon or skunk at well past HD ranges.

Point is, its a great light but some roles can be filled just as well with more affordable options. But if you want throw, or you want one of the best, dont hesitate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Picked up the Rein 3. Havent had a chance to really use it but initial impression is good, but I expected as much given how much I enjoy my full size MCH.

That said, I'm a bit on the fence about the design of the light. The body has predrilled mounting holes to use to screw the light to the mount you use (Whether a pic mount or the offsets sold by CD). Due to the mount on the body being fxed, they have made a keyed tailcap which you can rotate to orientate the cord as you need. At first I thought this was a really neat design and appreciated the tailcap being keyed so you can adjust it. But after playing with it for a while, frankly this all feels needlessly complicated. Thats not necessarily a negative against the light mind you, but I think they could have simplified things a bit by simply going with the standard 1" sleeve that slides over the light, allowing you to simply spin in the light in the mount to orientate the cable rather than doing all this keyed tailcap setup.

Again, I dont consider it a negative against the light or the design. I'm sure there was some decisions made in that regard that I obviously am not aware of, and I damn sure wouldnt use that as a reason not to buy the light. But, it did make me kind of scratch my head and chuckle and think CD must employ a few German engineers on their team.

No regrets, definitely recommend if you want a "Damn that throws" sort of light. My HD gun runs a Streamlight as its every bit as good inside "HD Defense" sorts of distances, the CD sits on my "Dark field" sort of rifle where I may need to bang a racoon or skunk at well past HD ranges.

Point is, it’s a great light but some roles can be filled just as well with more affordable options. But if you want throw, or you want one of the best, dont hesitate.
View Quote

Honestly, I hate that the “be like Surefire” crowd won out in weapon lights. Ring mounts are much less restrictive, cheaper, and allowed for more innovation by manufacturers and users. A picky middle man was added to the equation just because. And I say this even owning an OWL.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

Honestly, I hate that the “be like Surefire” crowd won out in weapon lights. Ring mounts are much less restrictive, cheaper, and allowed for more innovation by manufacturers and users. A picky middle man was added to the equation just because. And I say this even owning an OWL.
View Quote

I hate ring lights. They shoot loose too much. The scout footprint is superior.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 3:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#33]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

View Quote

I’ve never had one come loose but I also put blue Loctite on them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#34]

The scout footprint is superior.
View Quote

In every single way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2JokersWild] [#35]

I've never had one come loose but I also put blue Loctite on them.
View All Quotes

I've never had one come loose but I also put blue Loctite on them.
Mine has never come loose, didnt even know this was a thing to be honest. I use a VLTOR SMO QD throw lever which locks to the rail. Love being able to mount, move and dismount with just the throw of a lever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine has never come loose, didnt even know this was a thing to be honest. I use a VLTOR SMO QD throw lever which locks to the rail. Love being able to mount, move and dismount with just the throw of a lever.
View Quote

Why would you need to have QD capability on a rifle mounted light?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Zebra120:

View All Quotes

Mission adaptable rifles, man. Fixed hardware is so Vietnam era, do you even 2023 bro?

But in all honestly, I like to be able to remove the light if I'm just going plinking in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Mission adaptable rifles, man. Fixed hardware is so Vietnam era, do you even 2023 bro?

But in all honestly, I like to be able to remove the light if I'm just going plinking in the afternoon.
View Quote

To each their own, I guess....but rifles with lights get shot with lights, and I hate QD stuff where there is no need for it. The Cloud Rein on an Arisaka mount is a beautiful thing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2JokersWild] [#39]

To each their own, I guess....but rifles with lights get shot with lights, and I hate QD stuff where there is no need for it. The Cloud Rein on an Arisaka mount is a beautiful thing.
View All Quotes

In hindsight I was being a bit vague, but as you say to each their own.

My HD rifle does wear a light full time. All my other guns though I prefer QD mounts for lights. Lights, IMO, are very situational. Outside of night shooting at comps I can count on one hand, with fingers to spare, the times I've actually used/needed a light on my rifle. Thats over the course of 3+ decades of shooting. For my use cases, I just dont need a light permanently mounted to my rifles save my HD rifle/pistol for obvious reasons.

But I really like being able to mount a light to the rifle to any low light shooting (Which is done at the competition I shoot at) and then take the light off to have my normal rifle I use for plinking and everyday shooting. A perfect example was last Friday, I took a friend to the shoot. I was going to just use one rifle (Which has a light) but at the last minute I said fuck it and grabbed the Aug on the way out the door. I carry the QD mount in my range bag, so I just mounted the light to the Aug and shot that instead. Thats the versatility and configurability I like to have in my rifles. Makes those spur of the moment "Eh, fuck it I'll do this instead" a bit easier to pull off.

I can see why a light would be a permanent fixture on some rifles, no doubt. In those cases having a trusted mount would be preferred for sure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#40]
So I ordered the Rein 3.0 as soon as it was available.  This light attracted me because it is dual fuel and the performance.  I received it and unfortunately I have had some quality control issues. The wrong hardware was sent to attach the pressure pad to the rail.  But the real issue is with the tail cap switch and pressure pad not working correctly.   I spoke to customer service and was sent new hardware and a replacement tail cap with pressure pad switch. Unfortunately the replacement switch had issues as well . What's the problem you ask, well the light will some times not turn on or only flicker when the tail cap switch or pressure pad switch are pressed .  So I contacted customer service and asked for a return with refund  . I was sent a return label and taken care of asap. I have got to say my experience with cloud defensive  customer service was top notch. The rein 3.0  performance is amazing when it actually works ! I also have an owl and comparing them side by side the 3.0 performance
is noticeably  better. They  just need to work out the kinks with the switches. If and when they do I might buy another.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By WILLSMITH82:
So I ordered the Rein 3.0 as soon as it was available.  This light attracted me because it is dual fuel and the performance.  I received it and unfortunately I have had some quality control issues. The wrong hardware was sent to attach the pressure pad to the rail.  But the real issue is with the tail cap switch and pressure pad not working correctly.   I spoke to customer service and was sent new hardware and a replacement tail cap with pressure pad switch. Unfortunately the replacement switch had issues as well . What's the problem you ask, well the light will some times not turn on or only flicker when the tail cap switch or pressure pad switch are pressed .  So I contacted customer service and asked for a return with refund  . I was sent a return label and taken care of asap. I have got to say my experience with cloud defensive  customer service was top notch. The rein 3.0  performance is amazing when it actually works ! I also have an owl and comparing them side by side the 3.0 performance
is noticeably  better. They  just need to work out the kinks with the switches. If and when they do I might buy another.
View Quote

Bummer.  I've never seen or heard of that issue before, and I've got a handful of these now myself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By WILLSMITH82:
View Quote

Originally Posted By Marksman14:

Bummer.  I've never seen or heard of that issue before, and I've got a handful of these now myself.
View Quote
I also got a bad switch with my 3.0. They sent a replacement and it's better. However, the battery jack has to be as far toward the rear as it will possibly go to make it work reliably, with both button tops and flat top battiers. It's like the tailcap spring is too short ir not maiing a good connection. The first switch was like this, just worse than the replacement.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:13:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeesh, right as I'm starting to look into a new light for my AUG too. Cloud's customer service was pretty good when I talked to them before the 2.0 was announced, were instrumental in me getting a 1.0 for my AUG. Though it looks like Cloud is still outpacing Modlite.

I do wish Cloud hadn't stepped away from the warmer tinted lights like the 1.0 though. Much easier to tell things apart at distance when I compared a 1.0 to a 2.0.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:
Yeesh, right as I'm starting to look into a new light for my AUG too. Cloud's customer service was pretty good when I talked to them before the 2.0 was announced, were instrumental in me getting a 1.0 for my AUG. Though it looks like Cloud is still outpacing Modlite.

I do wish Cloud hadn't stepped away from the warmer tinted lights like the 1.0 though. Much easier to tell things apart at distance when I compared a 1.0 to a 2.0.
View Quote
Between the modlite, Cloud rein 3.0, and HRT AWL, there really isn't a bad option and outdoors they're really all pretty similar to my eye. To NEED one over the other would be a very, very small chance. They are all so good it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:22:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Hox:
Between the modlite, Cloud rein 3.0, and HRT AWL, there really isn't a bad option and outdoors they're really all pretty similar to my eye. To NEED one over the other would be a very, very small chance. They are all so good it doesn't really matter.
View Quote

Fair. I'm not a fan of Modlite cause of their behavior, so I'll likely never get one. I like the idea of the HRT, but I can find a new REIN 3.0 for about the same price as one and would rather have a tailswitch than the nipple.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:

Fair. I'm not a fan of Modlite cause of their behavior, so I'll likely never get one. I like the idea of the HRT, but I can find a new REIN 3.0 for about the same price as one and would rather have a tailswitch than the nipple.
View Quote
HRT sells just the head and it fits on any surefire body. I have mine on a Surefire pro body, DS00 tailcap, and Unity TAPS switch run to my DBAL. The Cloud is great so nothing to take away there, it's just a little bulkier and you need a fernielabs adapter if you want to run switch integration with any IR device on the market right now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ElrodCod] [#47]
I thought this was gonna be an Invisible Man thread.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 3:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#48]

View Quote

Don’t listen to this guy. He knew not what he was speaking of and has learned the error of his ways.

Received my REIN 3.0. The remote switch flickered at first with the constant on button but after a few clicks it stopped being so hyper sensitive. Now I can physically hit the housing or light tap the button and it doesn’t budge.

ETA: As of right now I’m disappointed. Won’t function properly with 18650’s. Flickers like crazy. I don’t like a few elements of the build quality but I can at least get it functional with CR123’s. I won’t be keeping it if I can’t run 18650’s.

ETA 2: Crapped out with CR123’s too. Went from flickering to just dead and won’t turn on with any batteries now. It’s not stripping any voltage off the 18650’s now so I think it’s a power control failure. It would have taken 30 seconds at the factory to turn it on and observe there was an issue. I’m very suspect of their quality control (if they even have any) based on my experience and others in this thread. Pathetic device compared to the OWL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Would this light be bright enough to shine a field? I was looking at a Nitecore P23i and a
Fenix TK22 tac flashlights. I was looking for a strong light with good throw. We have varmints here and would be nice to see a large field. Does it come with a qd mount and pressure switch I could mount to a rail?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Don’t listen to this guy. He knew not what he was speaking of and has learned the error of his ways.

Received my REIN 3.0. The remote switch flickered at first with the constant on button but after a few clicks it stopped being so hyper sensitive. Now I can physically hit the housing or light tap the button and it doesn’t budge.

ETA: As of right now I’m disappointed. Won’t function properly with 18650’s. Flickers like crazy. I don’t like a few elements of the build quality but I can at least get it functional with CR123’s. I won’t be keeping it if I can’t run 18650’s.

ETA 2: Crapped out with CR123’s too. Went from flickering to just dead and won’t turn on with any batteries now. It’s not stripping any voltage off the 18650’s now so I think it’s a power control failure. It would have taken 30 seconds at the factory to turn it on and observe there was an issue. I’m very suspect of their quality control (if they even have any) based on my experience and others in this thread. Pathetic device compared to the OWL.
View All Quotes

Did you try adjusting the battery jack inside? Sounds more like user error than product error.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Cloud Rein 3.0 (Page 1 of 4)
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top