Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 5:41:44 AM EDT
The below AR manufacturer offers "builder sets" which appear to include the upper and lower receiver, and the handguard.

If a person acquired that and all the other necessary parts to complete an AR, how much would a competent armorer or gunsmith charge to put it all together?

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-builder-set-w-15-atlas-s-one-mlok-handguard-bdl-halftone-2pt0-cerakote
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:36:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJFirefly] [#1]
Find a buddy who has done it before, bring him a six pack, have him build it or better yet supervise you doing it. Voila.

But to better answer your question, BK Firearms offers that service for $25 per lower and upper, so $50 total. I imagine that is on the low side in Biden’s new world.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My LGS charges $75 to fully assemble a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Usually when I check they want close to $100. Which imo is too much because you can buy the tools to do it yourself for that much, and then you never need anyone to assemble it for you again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Paying to assemble an AR is a waste IMHO.. if someone is into guns should also be able to use basic tools… we’re not talking about programming CNC machines here

Get a wise, an action block and multitool wrench for the barrel nut, fh, etc

It’s also a cool hobby
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't click the link, but off the top of my head you'd need a barrel nut tool that also has the castle nut wrench, and the rest, like channel locks are everywhere, and Allen wrenches for random handguards and such. The only specialized tool that I have needed/wanted was a FSB jig to drill a virgin FSB, which I doubt those kits need anyway.
I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'd say $30 for a generic barrel nut tool and borrow whatever else you don't have in a toolbox.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]
If you were close, I’d do it for nothing. 15-45 minutes depending on your skill level. Pull up a video.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Do it yourself - except the parts you're not confident in like maybe the barrel. You can do a lower and upper dumb easy, the "hardest part" is the barrel if you're new to using hand tools...but it's still not hard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
If you were close, I'd do it for nothing. 15-45 minutes depending on your skill level. Pull up a video.
View Quote
This. There used to be a very good step by step breakdown with photos of each step in (IIRC) one of the AR-15 subforums. I used it to build my first lower years ago; it's probably lost to the archives now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I charge 50 per half for basic assembling, more if additional services or parts need fitted. Its not JUST Lego-ing it together. There's staking to do, torque for certain parts, alignments, dimpling, dressing and polishing feed ramps, polishing extractor and ejector (if you want max reliability), ensuring all parts jive and don't slam into each other. Use of the right chemicals / fluids on the right threads is a big one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 19Charlie_84:
I charge 50 per half for basic assembling, more if additional services or parts need fitted. Its not JUST Lego-ing it together. There's staking to do, torque for certain parts, alignments, dimpling, dressing and polishing feed ramps, polishing extractor and ejector (if you want max reliability), ensuring all parts jive and don't slam into each other. Use of the right chemicals / fluids on the right threads is a big one.
View Quote

@19Charlie_84

$50 for the upper and $50 for the lower?

Yes, torque specs for certain parts.

For fully assembled rifles from the factory, do dress and polish feed ramps, and polish the extractor and ejector? Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CJFirefly:
Find a buddy who has done it before, bring him a six pack, have him build it or better yet supervise you doing it. Voila.

But to better answer your question, BK Firearms offers that service for $25 per lower and upper, so $50 total. I imagine that is on the low side in Biden’s new world.
View Quote

Originally Posted By The_Accuser:
My LGS charges $75 to fully assemble a rifle.
View Quote

$25 per lower and upper at BK and $75 at The_Accuser's LGS sounds low. Is the end product like getting a new rifle from the factory?

I'm guessing the above figures are if a customer buys various parts like the lower parts kits and probably other things through the assembler's/LGS's shop.

@CJFirefly
@The_Accuser

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

$25 per lower and upper at BK and $75 at The_Accuser's LGS sounds low. Is the end product like getting a new rifle from the factory?

I'm guessing the above figures are if a customer buys various parts like the lower parts kits and probably other things through the assembler's/LGS's shop.

@CJFirefly
@The_Accuser

View Quote

@peacematu

I actually have two LGS that both charge $75 to fully assemble a rifle and both do an excellent job.  I bring them the stripped upper/lower receivers and everything else and they put it all together.  They even test fire it to verify it functions properly.  Neither requires I buy any of the parts from them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

@19Charlie_84

$50 for the upper and $50 for the lower?

Yes, torque specs for certain parts.

For fully assembled rifles from the factory, do dress and polish feed ramps, and polish the extractor and ejector? Anyone?
View Quote

Yup, 50 per half base rate. Sometimes they go together without a hitch, sometimes they need fitting. I have lots and lots of tools and jigs that make it easy and diagnose why problems occur. The only places I know that match feed ramps on the extension to upper (and cut secondary ramps in the extension) are KAC, Colt, FN, and SOLGW. Polishing other small parts to remove burrs, probably only the highest tier stuff.

I also bed barrels with green loctite. Gauge the gas port and bounce the measurement off a spreadsheet I have with 2000 or so entries, sorted by barrel length, gas system length, and barrel maker.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Some places offer assembly classes too! My LGS actually has one a few times throughout the year. You basically bring all your parts, and they walk you through the assembly process.

However, yes, I would imagine a good price is about 75-150 bucks to assemble it. Keep in mind that "gunsmith" is not really a trade where you can get a certificate or something. So you're really taking a chance giving it to a "gun smith." However assembling a AR15 is very easy to do so his chances of messing it up is pretty low but expect some smaller things to be missed or messed up.

Some questions to ask:

1) Do you dimple the barrel before assembling the gas block?

2) Do you stake the gas block or do you just use the set screws? (Note if he says he doesn't dimple and that just using set screws okay on barrel, leave!)

3) Do you stake the castle nut on the receiver?

I'm trying to think of other commonly missed steps. Just note that assembling the AR is pretty easy but a couple of places you have to pay attention to or otherwise it's just as good as you doing it and missing those steps. But I think asking those questions above and how he/she answers it will be important gauging on whether you're dealing with a competent gunsmith or not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Usually when I check they want close to $100. Which imo is too much because you can buy the tools to do it yourself for that much, and then you never need anyone to assemble it for you again.
View Quote

<This. Having the knowledge, the experience, the tools, will create a system of self-reliance that is vital to personal growth.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]
@dalle0001

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
If you were close, I’d do it for nothing. 15-45 minutes depending on your skill level. Pull up a video.
View Quote

I enjoy teaching friends how to do it
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top