Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2024 10:53:38 PM EDT
Greeting all!

So, my efforts to replace what was lost in the burglary continue.

One of the little things I had was what I called a “Bolt Catch Installation Jig”.

It was a piece of wire that fit in to the hole where the bolt catch pin goes that I used to hold the whole thing together until I tapped in the pin, whereupon the jig would be pushed out.

I have no idea where I found it.

Does anyone know where to get something similar?  This set from Amazon actually includes one, and I like that it’s rubber coated, but… chinesium.  

Also, I hate to buy the whole set just for the one tool.  I already bought a replacement bolt catch pin holder and punch.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the plastic tube that comes with every aersol can like WD-40, Jet spray gummout.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Use an alley key as a slave pin.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#3]
I just tap the pin until it barely is protruding into the pivot area, and then assemble the spring and catch and hold it with my thumb. One single whack after that has it centered and in place.

The special punch with the flat on one side and a good padded vice (or mag well block) are all you really need.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Use one of the take down detents to hold everything together while you drive in the roll pin.  I don't for the life of me understand why one needs anything other than a detent to do this simple job.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up the Amazon set. I believe it was $6. There are cheaper alternatives but the Amazon set works well and I've done dozens without issue.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
I just tap the pin until it barely is protruding into the pivot area, and then assemble the spring and catch and hold it with my thumb. One single whack after that has it centered and in place.

View Quote

Works for me as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#7]
wooden toothpick.

1. Break it in 1/2.
2. Instert the pointy end into the bolt catch from the back side to retail it all.
3. Install and tap roll pin in using any standard bolt catch punch set.

Since the roll pin is hollow, it easily slides over the pointy end of the toothpick and uses it as a guide during installation.  While tapping the pin in, the toothpick backs out at the same time.  You don't have to jam the toothpick in, just insert till it stops.

no fancy tools, built in guide, etc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By seand1111:
wooden toothpick.

1. Break it in 1/2.
2. Instert the pointy end into the bolt catch from the back side to retail it all.
3. Install and tap roll pin in using any standard bolt catch punch set.

Since the roll pin is hollow, it easily slides over the pointy end of the toothpick and uses it as a guide during installation.  While tapping the pin in, the toothpick backs out at the same time.  You don't have to jam the toothpick in, just insert till it stops.

no fancy tools, built in guide, etc.
View Quote

I keep several in my kit just for this purpose, and to get that piece of jerky out of my gap.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Use an alley key as a slave pin.
View Quote

Sometimes the most simple way really IS the easiest way.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

I keep several in my kit just for this purpose, and to get that piece of jerky out of my gap.

View Quote

😂.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seand1111] [#11]
Double tap
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top