Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/12/2023 7:01:26 AM EDT
I use a Magpul m-lok bipod on my AR rifles when I'm sighting them in. I'm going to be sighting in a new sight on my .300 BO AR pistol today. After I had it in the vice, and the bipod in one hand and a hex driver in the other, the Master Caution light came on and the FATF indicator illuminated on the annunciator panel. So I stopped.

I hate feeling like I need to consult a lawyer every time I even look at my ARs but it is what it is.

Your thoughts, please?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:24:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#1]
What is your concern?  That it’s viewed as a VFG?

I’d say you’re fine.  It’s not being installed with the intent of using it as a VFG nor will you be using it as a VFG.

If you’re that concerned, take a pack with you and rest the handguard on that.  Should alleviate any concerns you might have.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
the first ruger chargers came from the factory with a bipod so im guessing you are fine
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
What is your concern?  That it’s viewed as a VFG?

I’d say you’re fine.  It’s not being installed with the intent of using it as a VFG nor will you be using it as a VFG.

If you’re that concerned, take a pack with you and rest the handguard on that.  Should alleviate any concerns you might have.
View Quote

Thank you, Sir! My main concern is my lack of knowledge of the details of the regulations.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
...the Master Caution light came on and the FATF indicator illuminated on the annunciator panel....
View Quote
Why did I get flashbacks of the Navy while reading this????

Regarding your question, if you really want to avoid questions just use a bag or some kind of rest.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no regulation against a bipod on a pistol.  Dudes shoot long range with XP-100 bolt pistol off of bipods all the time.  Just because it is an AR doesn't change that.  That said, I prefer bags over bipods for target work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:

I hate feeling like I need to consult a lawyer every time I even look at my ARs but it is what it is.

View Quote

Why?  Fuck all that.

Just.

Live.

Free.

Liberate yourself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:

Why?  Fuck all that.

Just.

Live.

Free.

Liberate yourself.
View Quote

When I choose to abide by the law, it is an expression of my freedom. I consider it my duty as a citizen to abide by the law. That's why I worry about it. By my own free choice.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NWHmoob:
Why did I get flashbacks of the Navy while reading this????

Regarding your question, if you really want to avoid questions just use a bag or some kind of rest.
View Quote

Tally Ho!

I'm not worried about questions; I'm worried about breaking the law. I was, anyway. Not now after reading the responses here. Thanks!

Tripod over bag is just a personal preference.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, everybody. The bipod is installed and I'm off to the range for my second day in a row.

It's a weird-looking thing with the bipod on it, LOL.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I know OP didn't mention the presence of a brace, but if there were a brace on the AR pistol question, am I right that the answer could be different because ATF Worksheet 4999 assigns points in section 3 based on presence of a bipod or monopod?  (Said sheet doesn't seem to mention a tripod at all, but then again, that famous discretion seems to disfavor the customer at the ATF, does it?)
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a nice RRS tripod and flex on the poors all of the way.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:30:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#12]
ATF Worksheet 4999
View Quote

This no longer exists, so I wouldn't put much validity into anything it says.  

AFT also indicated there that it isn't possible use a magnified optic on a "pistol".  All the long range XP-100 shooters roll their eyes in unison

As far as a brace is concerned, that is a no-no anyway unless you are a member of one of the several entities included in one of the many court cases.  I have triple-injunction immunity
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PreacherOfGadget:
I know OP didn't mention the presence of a brace, but if there were a brace on the AR pistol question, am I right that the answer could be different because ATF Worksheet 4999 assigns points in section 3 based on presence of a bipod or monopod?  (Said sheet doesn't seem to mention a tripod at all, but then again, that famous discretion seems to disfavor the customer at the ATF, does it?)
View Quote

No brace. I had a cheek-rest on it but removed it back in May after the ATF ruled that my brand of cheek rest was actually a brace.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I put the bipod on it, sighted it in, and then took it off again. All good.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
This no longer exists, so I wouldn't put much validity into anything it says.  

AFT also indicated there that it isn't possible use a magnified optic on a "pistol".  All the long range XP-100 shooters roll their eyes in unison

As far as a brace is concerned, that is a no-no anyway unless you are a member of one of the several entities included in one of the many court cases.  I have triple-injunction immunity
View Quote

Thanks for the catch-up.  I stopped paying close attention after I reconfigured the one braced gun I had (to plain pistol buffer tube) before proposed rule even hit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:56:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Bi pod on my Savage Striker it's perfectly legal to have on a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody shooting a rifle-caliber pistol off of range bags, etc., please be aware that muzzle blast, particularly from side-exiting compensator ports, can literally blow the fabric apart. I did this myself the first time I took my pistol to the range to sight it in. I walked out without my sandbags so I used my range bag - big mistake. :) I started loading it up to leave and stuff was coming out as fast as I could put it in.

It was a crummy freebie NRA bag but I did have it for 20 years. Get this - so I got out a new one that I had never used (another NRA freebie) and went to pick it up and the carry handle straps were dry-rotted and fell apart (stored in hot attic for a couple of years while remodeling was going on). So that's two range bags in the trash can in one day, and I now have to buy a new one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveG75] [#18]
X-7 Bulls Bag is my go-to for bench rest shooting. Solid, stable, and can be configured in multiple ways for different guns. Not cheap but 100% worth it.

https://www.bullsbag.com/category_s/32.htm
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Anybody shooting a rifle-caliber pistol off of range bags, etc., please be aware that muzzle blast, particularly from side-exiting compensator ports, can literally blow the fabric apart. I did this myself the first time I took my pistol to the range to sight it in. I walked out without my sandbags so I used my range bag - big mistake. :) I started loading it up to leave and stuff was coming out as fast as I could put it in.

https://i.imgur.com/QbryHBd.jpg

It was a crummy freebie NRA bag but I did have it for 20 years. Get this - so I got out a new one that I had never used (another NRA freebie) and went to pick it up and the carry handle straps were dry-rotted and fell apart (stored in hot attic for a couple of years while remodeling was going on). So that's two range bags in the trash can in one day, and I now have to buy a new one.
View Quote

Done that.....

Twice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#20]
On the bright side, 1) they were both free, 2) they were both from the NRA and that organization has also gone to trash itself.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#21]
You mean like this?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
You mean like this?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/751/IMG_1796_jpeg-3103751.JPG
View Quote

Rear grip XP

Reminds me I have a Savage Striker project to finish one of these days
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top