BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2024 11:55:30 PM EDT
Budget:  Up to $500

Guns I own: Glock 43 and Glock 19G5

Use:  I'm not a gun enthusiast and actually have never shot my Glocks. Been to a shooting range twice, once for fun and another time for my CPL (Michigan). Owning guns is more of a just-in-case-thing. Occasionally I bring the G43 concealed when I go into Detroit.

I understand rifles have better accuracy and shoot longer distance so it would nice to be able to have that capability.

My research indicated the AR15 is the best choice, do you agree?  I don't need anything too fancy as this gun will hopefully be seldom or never used.

Which rifle do you recommend in the $500 range?

I plan on buying from a big box retailer, Sportsman, Cabela's, etc. so over the counter pricing is what I am referencing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all, you should shoot more. Guns are worthless if you can’t shoot them accurately, and being in a stressful situation will only make you shoot even worse. Now having said that, yes, an AR-15 is the best all around rifle you can get. In your price range PSA is going to be your best bet. Here is a $500 rifle, for instance. You could also buy a separate upper and lower and simply snap them together, too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:06:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluedog82] [#2]
double tap. PSA will ship to a gun store for you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:12:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#3]
One, you're doing it wrong. Don't take this as rude, but if you don't practice and use your guns they're of little use to you. You don't have to spend hours every weekend, but if your theory is self defense, you've got an eye oppenner coming. Especially when you try and hit shit with a handgun. I'd advise you find a local range and go practice a bit and start to understand. Honestly not trying to sound like an asshole, but if you're going to rely on them, take the time to learn them and get proficient. For a $500 AR I'd get PSA. You can save money by buying the upper and lower separately. The upper will ship to your door. The lower has to go through an FFL (any local gun dealer). For your use I'd skip the fre-float stuff and reinvest my money into a higher level of the std handguard options. You need to get out and shoot though.
Edit: Damn. I type slow
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jean_Luc:
What do you think about: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/smith-wesson-mp-15-22-sport-rimfire-rifle
View Quote

That is a rimfire & not a great all around rifle.   Great for learning to shoot & practice if that is what you want to do, but not a good defense or hunting rifle.  As others have said, get some training & practice.  Also learn the 4 rules of safe gun handling.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:20:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jean_Luc] [#6]
No offense taken, I appreciate your advice.

I've been meaning to try the guns out at least to see if they work.  I have the hearing protection and everything.

So let me ask this, if I go through a few clips on on the 19 and 43.  Do I have to clean the gun after every time? Does it have to get lubricated each time?

Can I just shoot and store it away?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, I just learned the difference. I guess I'll be searching for center fire then.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#8]

I've been meaning to try the guns out at least to see if they work.  I have the hearing protection and everything.

So let me ask this, if I go through a few clips on on the 19 and 43.  Do I have to clean the gun after every time? Does it have to get lubricated each time?

View Quote

They're magazines, not clips.  Unless you're using corrosive primers you don't need to clean it after 1 mag.  For me I'd clean the barrel with a bore snake & spray down the slide & & trigger real quick.  Cleaning a Glock is pretty quick & easy anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:46:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#9]
Kinda a rough start. Go look at palmetto state armory and stick around. It's a good site once you put a little time in. Everything AR related is here. Just like other internet shit though, you might be SF and been in a dozen conflicts, imternet... it's worth the effort if an AR interests you.
PM me, if you want.  I'll give you my email. I'm not an expert, but I've tried a lot of stuff. I'll help you. If you want
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:08:38 AM EDT
[#10]
You have been given very good advice here. Start shooting more,  I agree with the PSA
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're dead set on a AR15, then PSA and couple mags.  But really get a Ruger 10/22 and learn to shoot the basics.  A .22LR will not break you to shoot and is fun.  What to shoot in your home there are soft air guns or pellet guns you can use with a homemade backstop of a cardboard box filled with newspaper.  No, you do not need to clean your gun after a few mags on the range.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Do yourself and those around you a solid favor, get some basic firearm training.

Shoot your guns, get acquainted. Learn to strip and clean them and familiarize yourself with the operation.

As for a first AR, Palmetto State Armory or Del-Ton Inc both have several entry level offerings that will not break the bank but are decent shooters.

Smith & Wesson is another.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:13:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#13]
@Jean_Luc
Check your PMs please. We live near each other.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:05:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockFudd] [#14]
Already getting the "you're doing it wrong" statements I see. I totally understand wanting guns as an insurance policy and I congratulate you on thinking like a normal human being. There is no "right and wrong" there is only optimal and sub-optimal. First you mentioned that you carry a g43 from time to time, and that is awesome. I would recommend you at the very least take that g43 to the range and shoot a few magazines of whatever round you want to carry (some type of defensive round like JHP). This is ensure that the gun functions. Next, for your ar15, I would highly recommend palmetto state armory due to their great prices. If I was going to buy my first, I would buy a CHF premium upper (with fixed front sight)(around 425), a standard lower (125), a premium BCG and CH for around 125, and a fixed rear sight like a midwest industries (combat rear sight) for like 80 bucks. You will always have the option to add a light down the road, but this set up should last a long long time. Don't forget a good sling for around 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#15]
AR15 is a good weapon to go with if you want a rifle (centerfire, not rimfire).
PSA is also a good choice for not breaking the bank.  Do some research and get ready to go down some rabbit holes on mid vs carbine length gas systems, if you should spend a ton of optics, ammo types, etc.  

.22LR is a blast, is easy to shoot, and is cheap to feed.   I shoot .22LR more than anything else.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#17]
About the only "you will understand later" advice I would give is to buy a complete upper and a complete lower (can be on the same order) from PSA instead of a a complete rifle from PSA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#18]
First, it's good that you are taking your protection seriously. Too many believe nothing bad may happen to them or that someone like a cop will arrive in time.

It's a big responsibility to take on. Someone like Massad Ayoob said "every bullet you fire in a self-defense situation has a lawyer attached to it". You need to understand the law as it applies to you: magazine capacity, stand your ground or duty to retreat, where it is legal to carry, etc. Neighboring jurisdictions have different rules. If you cross the border from Michigan to Ohio what rules change? What about Michigan to Indiana? As the Kyle Rittenhouse case showed, what took minutes or seconds was analyzed and armchair quarterbacked for days and weeks in the courtroom.

You need to trust yourself with the gun. That takes time and practice. Find friends that have backyard ranges, or take a course from a good instructor that will have you shoot from something other than a square range while standing still and facing the target. Shooting is a perishable skill, skip six months and see.

Some say most self defense shootings are 3 rounds, 3 seconds, 3 yards. That sounds easy but how's your draw from a concealed holster? What if the bad guy is 20 feet away?

If the worst happens and you need to use deadly force, what's next? Do you just stand there over the bad guy as he bleeds out or do you render aid? Do you have any training in first aid for him or anyone else injured nearby?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#19]
Spend your money on using the guns you have.  You’re a danger to those around you having a gun “just in case” that you’re not properly trained and/or experienced using.

You have a license to carry a lethal weapon.  Focus on that first.

Once you’ve mastered your Glock (s) then PSA is the AR of choice within your $500 budget.  I’d recommend a very basic model with a fixed front sight base as you don’t seem to be the sort that is going to benefit from free float rails, etc.  

When you order the PSA buy a complete lower and complete upper.  This will save you 10%.  When they arrive at your dealer … push two pins to assemble your rifle.

Remember, that insurance you’re seeking is the Archer not the Arrow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Too bad you're on the "wrong" side of the state (I'm in SWMI) otherwise we could've arranged a range session.  There's quite a few members in your area, and there's a chance to test fire some different models and configurations.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
Too bad you're on the "wrong" side of the state (I'm in SWMI) otherwise we could've arranged a range session.  There's quite a few members in your area, and there's a chance to test fire some different models and configurations.
View Quote
That was my thing. I live right near him and could get him into LCSA for free as my guest. I have a few ARs we could play around with. However, he hasn't answered my PM so who knows
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Learn to shoot what you have first. You don’t need to be an expert shot but you do want to get in enough range time to be comfortable and confident in your shooting and gun handling. The comfort and confidence you build from shooting your hand guns will transfer over to other guns whether they’re handguns, shotguns, or rifles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I've shot a thousand rounds through my Glock without cleaning, same as my Beretta M9A3.

A 1911/2011 might require cleaning after every 500 rounds. It just depends on the gun.

Honestly, its just safe to clean your gun after 200 rounds regardless of the gun. And always make sure it is oiled.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MBAILEY45] [#24]
I have a PSA 16" mid-length gas upper mated to a home-built lower. (circa 2017/2018.  Itemized costs below).  Has been utterly reliable and is more accurate than I am.

If you are looking for a complete rifle, You may want to consider S&W.  They just released the "Sport-III".  They changed a few things from the Sport-II, including mid-length gas, 1-8 5R rifling, Free-float M-Lock rail.

Home Brew Cost Breakdown:

$89.99 Stripped Lower
$29.99 SOLGW Buffer Tube
$20.00 Standard Carbine Buffer / Spring
$57.95 BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 SOPMOD Stock
$7.76 Castle Nut
$59.99 PSA LPK with Magpul grip, PNT Trigger, and MOE Trigger Guard
$279.99 PSA 16" Mid-Length Nitride Upper with M-Lock FF Rail (includes BCG & Charging Handle)
$50.00 Magpul BUIS set
$12.00 Ambi sling adapter end plate

$607.67 Total
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top