Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2024 6:32:51 PM EDT
Hi all, long time lurker but finally decided to build an A1. I wanted a kit that had seen some use so I picked up a kit from Atlantic. The hand guards and buttstock are in great condition as is the bolt. My upper is another story. It appears to have flaking black paint on it. Would this indicate an arsenal rework? The upper is marked CH, so I believe it is a 1973+ export. It doesn't appear to have the colt gray underneath it. I'm thinking about stripping it and refinishing it in the original colt color unless black was indeed OEM. It also looks like there is a fair bit of corrosion underneath the paint. Any suggestions on what I should use to strip it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Get your money back.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Closer I look at the upper, the more I'm leaning that way... don't know if I can make it serviceable
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Leave it in this for several hours and the black will come off.

I wonder if those came back from the Philippines. They get serious mileage out of their weapons.  I say strip it and build it into something cool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Strip and put norrels on it and then wear ir
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You can use Acetone. It might have some nice patina hiding under there.
Before
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
This is reassuring!
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Out of all the upper receivers posted in this thread so far, I would have no reservations using any of them, except for OP's. That aluminum corrosion is some nasty stuff. I would divest myself of it, if I were OP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AmericanSheepDog:
Strip and put norrels on it and then wear ir
View Quote

I think this is the route I'll go if it doesn't look quite right when I strip it, I'll post the results
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:31:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ricks66c10] [#11]
Here is mine that was purchased from Atlantic back in '20.
Put in the stripper for a few minutes and liked the result.
Here it is on the finished A1.
I suspect yours will look similar after stripping.
https://ibb.co/vBHrS5C
https://ibb.co/d253Mmj
https://ibb.co/Bs9jGGJ
https://ibb.co/hHPd0sM
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:02:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#12]
OP's receiver appears to be down to bare aluminum in several places, I think he might have no choice but to add a spray on finish after that black is stripped off properly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#13]

JT needs to revise his business cards. He no longer does "custom work".  His regular AR services are fantastic though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe what you’re seeing is just layer after layer of black paint. What look are you going for with the build?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:42:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Richard-ar15] [#15]
It's never going to look factory new. If it were mine, I'd knock the flaking parts off and spray it with more semi-gloss black paint.

Make the lower match, and swap out the furniture if it looks too good. No shortage of beat buttstocks and handguards out there. I like an A1 that looks hard-used, and you will never have to worry about scratching it!

I had no idea they were just pinching off the barrels like that, now. Not hard to remove one properly. I'd get that stub off first and make sure the receiver is still good to take a new barrel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Go for the Filipino rifle look, you don't even need all if the parts to be authentic looking!

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
Out of all the upper receivers posted in this thread so far, I would have no reservations using any of them, except for OP's. That aluminum corrosion is some nasty stuff. I would divest myself of it, if I were OP.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ricks66c10:
He is mine that was purchased from Atlantic back in '20.
Put in the stripper for a few minutes and liked the result.
Here it is on the finished A1.
I suspect yours will look similar after stripping.
https://ibb.co/vBHrS5C
https://ibb.co/d253Mmj
https://ibb.co/Bs9jGGJ
https://ibb.co/hHPd0sM
View Quote

No way his looks like that.  Look at the corrosion.  Send it back.  Your looks good even before stripping.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#20]
boy, that looks rough, if it were just chipping paint that would be ok, but this is much worse.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Colt Gray
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mtomso7464:

No way his looks like that.  Look at the corrosion.  Send it back.  Your looks good even before stripping.
View Quote

I've sent Atlantic an email. I'm not optimistic it goes anywhere. I'm not stripping it until I get a response... if I get a response since I've heard they're not the greatest with customer service.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Pilotnick12:

I've sent Atlantic an email. I'm not optimistic it goes anywhere. I'm not stripping it until I get a response... if I get a response since I've heard they're not the greatest with customer service.
View Quote

Atlantic is known to have very good CS. I bet they take care of you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Atlantic is known to have very good CS. I bet they take care of you.
View Quote

That's great to hear!
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#25]
On the bright side, those uppers have already been thrown down the driveway...several times.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I have two of those kits.  

I used my brass tumbler with the stainless steel pins, soap, and water.  Little bit of lemon shine.  Worked great, very happy with the results.

I did this to all the parts.  It removed the paint, brightened the exposed aluminum, and polished the remaining anodized areas.

I would post pictures if I had a smart phone!
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:58:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Assh] [#27]
Look at the last picture on post 6.

This is what mine looked like after I used my tumbler, only better.

The patina is there, they look smooth and polished.  The stainless steel pins will remove all the corrosion.

It will take some time.  I had one that was pretty bad and If I recall, maybe 10 hours in the tumbler.  I even tumbled my new H&R lower till I got the same color and patina as the surplus upper.

Do the receivers separate and the small parts separate.  This will keep them from banging into each other, unless you want that look.

I guarantee you throw that into a SS tumbler it will cleanup nicely.

Afterwords spray it with a two part flat clear coat epoxy to seal the exposed aluminum or leave it with a coat of oil, you'll be surprised.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Assh:
Look at the last picture on post 6.

This is what mine looked like after I used my tumbler, only better.

The patina is there, they look smooth and polished.  The stainless steel pins will remove all the corrosion.

It will take some time.  I had one that was pretty bad and If I recall, maybe 10 hours in the tumbler.  I even tumbled my new H&R lower till I got the same color and patina as the surplus upper.

Do the receivers separate and the small parts separate.  This will keep them from banging into each other, unless you want that look.

I guarantee you throw that into a SS tumbler it will cleanup nicely.

Afterwords spray it with a two part flat clear coat epoxy to seal the exposed aluminum or leave it with a coat of oil, you'll be surprised.
View Quote

I just don't think the OP's will ever look that good.  There is metal missing.  THe one in post 6 looks great compared to his.  Plus look at the edge of the CH.  Looks like it was sitting on cement.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#29]
That corrosion is all surface and will clean up just fine, get the paint off by soaking in acetone/lacquer thinner to see what you really have.

It will work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#30]

I just don't think the OP's will ever look that good.  There is metal missing.  THe one in post 6 looks great compared to his.  Plus look at the edge of the CH.  Looks like it was sitting on cement.
View Quote

I'm not taking the risk, Atlantic agreed to replace it at no charge so +1 for them!
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#31]

I'm not taking the risk, Atlantic agreed to replace it at no charge so +1 for them!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Awesome, hopefully it's a decent condition upgrade....
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

Awesome, hopefully it's a decent condition upgrade....
View Quote

Yeah fingers crossed. I'm okay with having to strip it etc... I just know all too well what corrosion does to aluminum from aircraft...
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I bet they'll pick a good one for you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah fingers crossed. I'm okay with having to strip it etc... I just know all too well what corrosion does to aluminum from aircraft...
View Quote

Yep, that looks like intergranular corrosion..
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Most of the modern finishes really want to have a sandblasted surface anyway. Most of that will probably clean up just with that. What doesn’t would clean up with a little bit of extra surface prep. There’s a little bit of surface damage there, but nothing that serious.

I think a lot of these guys would have an aneurysm if they saw what “high mileage” military issued weapons look like up close.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wapiti74:
Yep, that looks like intergranular corrosion..
View Quote

Yes, "intergranular exfoliation" was a common enough issue during the AR-15 early years that Colt switched from 6061 to 7075 aluminum. The 6061 aluminum was turning into mush/dissolving in the humid jungle environment of VN.

It is a bit surprising to see a 7075 upper showing this same issue, but under the right/wrong conditions, I suppose it's possible.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered one from Atlantic, hoping it's useable, not expecting anything pristine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:09:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#38]
Originally Posted By Nehi:  Just ordered one from Atlantic, hoping it's useable, not expecting anything pristine.
View Quote

You're getting OP's upper  Just post the pics here, no need to start a new thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#39]
What's the best bet for .625 20" FSB barrel nowadays?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

You're getting OP's upper  Just post the pics here, no need to start a new thread.
View Quote

Dammit! Like I didn't already think that might happen! You jinxed me!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nehi:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  You're getting OP's upper  Just post the pics here, no need to start a new thread.

[ Smugly smiles in Mike's H&R ]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top