Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 10:21:16 AM EDT
With the potential for an AWB passing in Colorado I am sorting thru my unfinished projects bin deciding which to get parts for and which to dump. Given a AR10a receiver, which armalite specific parts do I need and which can I use DPMS/AR15 parts for.

1) I understand I need armalite specific mag catch and bolt catch.

2) any input on pivot pins welcome.

3) due to different upper threads I need an armalite barrel nut and handguard.

4) the internet says the armalite barrel and bolt have different lugs (and gas tube length), but I can substitute for a DPMS pattern bolt and barrel as a pair.  Is this true?

5) if I'm using a DPMS bolt/barrel can I use a complete DPMS buffer setup?

6) anything else I've forgotten?

Sorry about the laundry list of questions, but as my source for non-standard parts may dry up July 1st I want to know what to get. Everygunpart .com seems the best place, but any other stores or advice welcomed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know man.  They are gonna go in dry on us.

This link has a lot of compatibility info, mostly old.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR15-Variants-Caliber-specific-FAQs/121-492215/
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are some AR-10A parts…

Lower parts kit.  Mag catch, bolt catch, takedown and pivot pins, etc

Looks like they have just about everything you will need except a barrel.

The list seems to change almost daily.

All ArmaLite parts

Idk about barrel and bolt compatibility….
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah the biggest problem seems to be the barrel and bolt. The barrel seems hard to find and the bolt adds more cost to finite funds (though I have a DPMS spare). The info thread linked (thanks) indicates they should be interchangeable as the bolt carrier is a similar dimension. But confirmation would make me feel better.

I was hoping to spend the next few years getting parts in, then have a build project to work on with my sons once they are a little older. Having to for see any problems sucks as I wanted this to be a project we solved problems on together.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to mention Anderson sells ArmaLite length gas tubes…
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#5]
You can use a DPMS barrel with an Armalite bolt as long as it headspaces correctly,  I'm doing it now on one of mine. Of you don't already have an Armalite bolt you might as well just buy a DPMS to avoid any tolerance stacking issues. Go to anygunpart.com for your Armalite parts needs.

Also you can't use DPMS pins on Armalite receivers.

ETA

Use the Armalite RET (A5/ Vltor) length and H3 buffer. Armalite sells this as a kit. They have the bugs worked out this so I wouldn't go with anything else  other than maybe LMT or KAC but it's the same stuff but in a different package

Armalite upper receiver threads are differentso you would need an Armalite specific barrel nut. Armalite sells a pretty damned good hand guard.

Just get an Armalite lower parts kit make sure it's for an A model  that way you'll know everything will go together without a problem.  You really shouldn't mix and match and you really gain nothing buy going with something else as far as parts go minus triggers. Armalite makes quality parts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:54:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wammel] [#6]
I knew anderson had the longer gas tube as I got the parts in for a 243 build using a barrel from anderson thinking I was been sneaky for the next ammo drought. Then covid hit and all the 243 vanished.

I have no doubt armalite does solid quality, the problem is they are more expensive than the DPMS parts and I have limited time/cash to get parts for multiple projects. And if the ban does pass, getting spares down the line will be way harder. Currently I have DPMS spares, but if I lose the ability to mail order spares from oddball companies armalite spares become unobtanium.

I think the plan is the armalite lpk, nut/handguard but the DPMS bolt/barrel. The buffer is undecided, I have DPMS spares and its the same price as another ar15 lower. Getting another lower effectively means another whole rifle I can cobble together with other spares I own.

I have no shortage of primary firearms, I just have a bunch of oddball projects I wanted to build long term with my kids. Currently they are getting a kick out of the old lego sets I stashed away.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#7]
You could sell all those parts and buy a complete gun, but that’s no fun.  
I’m pretty happy with my SFAR for 1k.  Still have a DPMS 308 lower built out in the safe, probably should sell that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
OP are you able to purchase any parts after the ban goes in effect? If you can't then buy the Armalite buffer tube kit. It's PROVEN TO WORK VERY WELL!. If your able to purchase parts like these later than if you want to roll the dice or experiment then by all means do whatever.

Armalite buffer tube kit
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The ban is not yet a done deal, its passed the house but not yet the senate, nor is it guaranteed to get a signature from the governor. They are both dem controlled, but some senators are more afraid for their seat, and the governor pretends to be liberation leaning and has presidential aspirations. So it may not pass, or may not pass in its current form. But in its current form it will ban parts and come into effect july 1st.

Thats little time to tie up lose ends. Especially as I have other projects and want a few more generic frames and lowers. Honestly I was half expecting it next year, usually in presidential election years they try to pretend to be more moderate, just not in such a brutal form. Banning transfer of the serialized parts, not effectively all semi auto parts. Seems the mask is falling.

I hear what you are advising on the buffer, but I have already played with 308 dpms buffers so have parts and experience. A new buffer means new spares added to my personal inventory. But I may purchase some other parts this month and weigh up the pro's and con's nearer the deadline. If it fizzles out this year I can definitely play with the armalite recoil system.

I appreciate the answers, thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top