Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2024 7:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ammoreloader]
Hello, on my ar9(conversion) Pistol I opted for a carry handle for sights. The carry handle i have has a slot to tighten it to the rail but, the screw is in the center making it difficult to get as tight as i want. I basically am asking if anyone knows what you call or where to get a scredriver with a split tip for lack of a better term. Its wide and slot on both sides of the center screw. Does anyone know what i am talking about? Any idea where ot get one? I would just cut a slot in the cent of a screwdriver but would like one made for the task with a wide blade. A pic link is below.

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't help much on where to get the tool you're looking for, but all of them I've every done were plenty snug even just from finger tight with the knobs.

As long as it was bumped up to the front of the slot and snug I've had no issues. Where I do have issues is pulling off stuff that I overtightened in the first place.

Cinch it down however hard you want, but from what I know just like scope rings the real rigidity and all that comes from being tight against the front of the rail slot so when physics happens and the rifle moves back and the handle wants to stay still it has nowhere to go thus doesn't shift.

Keep in mind your average scope ring need 20ish inch pounds so even if you were using it as an actual handle 25-30 seems like it would be more than sufficient.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the stud is too long? Just cut/grind it shorter.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ammoreloader] [#3]
It loosened shooting it at the range this morning. I thought about cutting it but as many times as i have moved stuff form one gun to another, i was worried it may not fit if i decide to move it to another gun down the raod. Besides i seem to need a wider blade for other projects i work on. I might be better off just making one.I know when you want something special, they charge you 5 times what a normal one is. Ill go buy this this and modify one for my use.
Thanks

https://www.harborfreight.com/scraper-set-4-piece-69601.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=19224063486&campaignid=19224063486&utm_content=144780356536&adsetid=144780356536&product=69601&store=2997&gad_source=1
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#4]
Wheeler makes a bit which is in their 89 piece kit and you might be able to just buy the bit from them.  It is the Weaver/Ruger clamp ring bit.  It would likely be cheaper to go down to ACE and buy a cheap screwdriver of the correct thickness and Dremel a notch in it.  The Wheeler bit does a great job though and doesn’t look like a mucked up mess, if that matters to you.

Midway shows it discontinued but it is in the 89 piece kit or the add on kit.  I do not see it on Wheeler's web site either but it might be worth your time to shoot them an email.   Manufacturer #: 595449
link
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
They are knurled on the rim.  A pliers or vice grip with a piece of leather to protect the nuts works.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Normlizer] [#6]
I use this  Not sure they are made anymore.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Just use a quarter. Thats what I have always done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks All for the help. I Looked in my toolbox and have several scrapers i dont use, Ill grind a notch in one this weekend, it should work.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top