Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 11:50:23 AM EDT
I caught the bug. So here I am sharing my experience and my build.a

Context: Civilian. Long time firearm enthusiast. Intermediate pistol skills. Limited rifle experience beyond a couple handfuls of range days and doming about four hogs. I arrived at the conclusion that an AR-15 would fill the gap in my 'need' for a semi-auto with some range capability. As a fan of value I decided building the rifle would yield the best quality/price ratio that suit's my budget and personal interest in learning about dangerous things I own.

Vision: A jack-of-all-trades rifle that could work for any scenarios like any variety of training drills (looking in N. FL btw), range days, SHTF, bragging with friends, and looking cool because I'm admitting to that mattering to me more than it should.

Research Conclusions: Stick to reputable low price manufacturers for parts kits, lower receiver, and furniture. Go mid tier for the upper receiver, handguard, and optics. Spend a little more on the barrel and trigger.

Result: I'll spare you the entire parts list unless you want it. But here's the meat of it:

PSA blem lower
Aero Precision Upper and Atlas handguard
Aero Adjustable Gas Block
Faxon Match Series 16" Gunner Profile in Stainless
Rise LE 145 trigger
Magpul furniture
Microbest BCG
Vortex Venom 1-6x24
Burris P.E.P.R. QD
Magpul BUIS
Surefire Warcomp

Conclusions: I did ok but not great. I know the Burris QD ain't no Larue. But this is a QD just for the emergency we know probably won't ever happen.

I have barrel regret. I wish I would have spent a little more on a CHF from FN. But at the end of the day I think this is a good one.

I'm iffy on the Aero Precision handguard. Not sure what happened, if it's tension from the sling or general handling but it can shift left/right up by the muzzle a little over time.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Looks good OP.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not big on proprietary stuff that locks me out of options. As much as I love Aero, I would have gotten the standard threaded M4E1 upper receiver.

Not meant to be a downer, just being honest.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tiribulus:
I'm not big on proprietary stuff that locks me out of options. As much as I love Aero, I would have gotten the standard threaded M4E1 upper receiver.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Agreed. The handguard using the ATLAS deal is a bitch, you're stuck using it unless you change out the barrel nut. Also, the Aero ATLAS handguard is too small ID for any rifle suppressor. So. Lesson learned. Great otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hiram-abiff-fl] [#4]
Originally Posted By Tiribulus:

View Quote

This is the standard threaded not the enhanced. Is that what you meant? Sorry if I was unclear.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Its just an upper

build a dozen more!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Its just an upper

build a dozen more!
View Quote

In an M. Night Shyamalan plot twist. A friend has given me a lower that's been at the bottom of his closet for years. So now I get to try again. But I gotta earn that second rifle. IMO, I need to spend this rifle's cost in ammo learning what the hell I'm doing before building another. Be on the look out for a casual suburban over-the-hill Florida Man larping his heart out at local ranges.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hiram-abiff-fl:

In an M. Night Shyamalan plot twist. A friend has given me a lower that's been at the bottom of his closet for years. So now I get to try again. But I gotta earn that second rifle. IMO, I need to spend this rifle's cost in ammo learning what the hell I'm doing before building another. Be on the look out for a casual suburban over-the-hill Florida Man larping his heart out at local ranges.
View Quote

Not trying to put words in his mouth, but I think he meant if you dont like the barrel, just build another upper. Your lower is g2g and you can have a dozen different uppers for the lower and just swap around.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

Not trying to put words in his mouth, but I think he meant if you dont like the barrel, just build another upper. Your lower is g2g and you can have a dozen different uppers for the lower and just swap around.
View Quote

I'll do standalone uppers one day. But my own personal neuroses and quirks wont let me build anything else until that unfinished lower is finished
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:26:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#10]
Build the new lower as a braced pistol

now you can have 7 inch 300 blackout uppers
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Build the new lower as a braced pistol

now you can have 7 inch 300 blackout uppers
View Quote

Braces are ok again correct?  The November injuction still stands right?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jnat:

View Quote

Yes.  Wondering if AFT is worried about losing more than they might gain by appealing.  They are usually pretty quick to file.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Looks great, and good choices on parts.

If, you should ever want a softer recoil pad... ( and I realize 5.56 isn't harsh )
https://limbsaver.com/products/magpul-sl-stock-recoil-pad
View Quote

Thanks and good to know. I'm all about comfort.

I am toying with the idea of an AR pistol. I hear they're way louder. Anyone have any first hand experience with the difference in volume? Not that loudness is a decision factor for me. Just curious about the difference.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I am toying with the idea of an AR pistol. I hear they're way awesome. Anyone have any first hand experience with the difference in awesomeness? Not that awesome is a decision factor for me. Just curious about the awesome.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Yes.  Wondering if AFT is worried about losing more than they might gain by appealing.  They are usually pretty quick to file.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Originally Posted By Jnat:

From what I gather,  they are all lathered up over garland vs. cargill.  Seems they may be trying to re-define the term “semi automatic” into a waaay more subjective definition.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Pistols are way more awesome and way more loud, suppressors are next!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#18]
It depends on what the "pistol" is chambered in and the length of barrel, when it comes to loudness.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]

I am toying with the idea of an AR pistol. I hear they're way awesome. Anyone have any first hand experience with the difference in awesomeness? Not that awesome is a decision factor for me. Just curious about the awesome.
View Quote

Pistols in 556 are crazy loud fire-breathers. Go over to 300BLK subs instead. It can still be a bit obnoxious at an indoor range, but as others have said, pistols are way more fun!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By hiram-abiff-fl:

Thanks and good to know. I'm all about comfort.

I am toying with the idea of an AR pistol. I hear they're way louder. Anyone have any first hand experience with the difference in volume? Not that loudness is a decision factor for me. Just curious about the difference.
View Quote

300blk isn't that loud.  even supers use quick burning powder unlike 5.56

a 5.56 pistol is a part time flamethrower and distraction device at the range.  they are fun to shoot, not so much fun to be next to when they are shot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont get this whole load, fireball thing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. A 10.3 and 3 11.5's and that's never been my experience. I was even talking up the flame thrower effect when I built my girlfriend the 10.3 with a flashcan. When we first shot it we we were both kind of let down at the lack of flames. If I remember right I got "I thought there was going to be fire?! I think it's a bit over stated. My hearing isn't the best, but shooting suppressed with my 11.5 and one of my 14.5s, I don't notice much if any difference using no ear pro and the 14.5 is more conservatively gassed (neither is over gassed). Just my experience
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top