Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2024 3:14:43 AM EDT
If someone took one of the good, lower priced ARs like the S&W Sport 2 and the Ruger equivalent, how much more accuracy would be attained if someone got an aftermarket handguard in order to flee-float the stock barrel?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:50:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
IMHO, there are a lot of other factors in context to potential accuracy gains.

A FF handguard help in the consistency "dept" more.  It will be harder to cause shooter induced "issues" with a FF tube v. a handguard that directly makes contact with a barrels muzzle end.

Others might be able to say this more eloquently.
View Quote

What he said.  A free float handguard will allow the barrel to shoot more consistently. It relieved pressure (slight bend to barrel like under sling tension or on sandbags) and because the barrel is free to vibrate with each round fired, it can do so more consistently from shot to shot to shot which should help accuracy (because consistency & repeatably aid accuracy).

How much "more" accurate is impossible to say due to variances in each barrel, ammo, optic, trigger, atmosphere & shooter, but it would be a big factor to improve accuracy in my opinion.

Consider that every "Match" rifle possible will free float the barrel if possible.

Hope this helps.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:47:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#3]
Although I don't think it will make any real accuracy difference for me, I am adding a FF rail to my M&P Sport 2 very soon.

This is really for my comfort as I dislike carbine length handguards since I'm a fairly large guy...plus it will have M-Lok to hang things on if I want to.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:48:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slingblade2006] [#4]
Swapping the trigger would get you better results.  I have a Ruger AR-556.  I put a LaRue MBT in it.  Made a world of difference.  I also put a 14 MI SL hand guard on it.  Not sure it made that much difference in accuracy.    

I will warn you about the Ruger AR.  The barrel nut was put on extremely tight.  If you choose to remove, put it in the freezer for a while and then hit the nut with a torch.  Lock it down in a good vise and give her hell.  

Also the gas block might be the worse design in the world.  Punches get hung up on the barrel or gas block.  The pins are barely tapered and I had to drill them out.  Not a big deal for me as I didn't plan on using it again.

Edit,  I am seeing some cheap S&W and Ruger AR's already with FF hand guards locally.  Might be another option for you.

S&W M&P AR FF
Ruger AR FF
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Not as much as most expect.

You're not taking a 3 MOA gun and magically transforming it into a sub MOA shooter.

With match grade ammo/high magnification glass/bench rest shooting and proper technique one may see a slight improvement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My experience with free floating an S&W, specifically an original M&P, was an incredible increase in accuracy. I found out much later that the barrel nut was barely tight, so that, combined with the non FF handguard, may have contributed to the lack of accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Muh Stag carbine improved with a FF handguard.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a good stable platform to shoot from and a good quality, consistent brand of ammunition.  Get in to a stable, bench shooting position.  Instead of resting your AR on the hand guard, rest the weight of the rifle on the magazine.  Taking care to not touch the forearm (grasping the front of the magazine helps with stability) shoot for group.

The difference in group size with this method should approximate very closely the performance difference of a free floated hand guard.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Trying to put numbers to this is not realistic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zWarlord:
My experience with free floating an S&W, specifically an original M&P, was an incredible increase in accuracy. I found out much later that the barrel nut was barely tight, so that, combined with the non FF handguard, may have contributed to the lack of accuracy.
View Quote

@zWarlord

I wonder how much just tightening the barrel nut would have helped accuracy.

Any idea what groups you can get with the ammo your carbine likes?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
@TAG_Match

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
How much is a basic but not junk handguard to free float a S&W M&P barrel?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Primary Arms has a big sale on Aero Precision rails right now, I just ordered a 12.7" Gen 2 rail for $105, but you will need to get the barrel nut separately.

Its a sturdy design that I've used before...should do well on my M&P Sport 2.

I believe Optic Planet also has them on sale over the holiday weekend.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#14]
Originally Posted By peacematu:
If someone took one of the good, lower priced ARs like the S&W Sport 2 and the Ruger equivalent, how much more accuracy would be attained if someone got an aftermarket handguard in order to flee-float the stock barrel?
View Quote

Also as a heads-up, the gas block may be difficult to remove, I had to dremel mine off, but it came out fine...let me know if you need any guidance if you can't get the gas block pin out.

You will also need a low profile gas block to go under the rail. There are no dimples on the barrel I have so I went with a good clamp-on gas block.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
You can use any free float AR handguard, but if you don't want to mess with trying to get the barrel nut and gas block off, there are a few out there that use the stock barrel nut. With a little dremel work you can install them without having to remove either. I've done it. It's really not hard. Hardest part is committing to cutting on your AR. I Originally used a fortis rev. It's been through a few rails, but currently wears a fortis rev2.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#16]
You absolutely can use a rail like a Fortis, Midwest Industries, or Centurion with the factory barrel nut and most gas blocks, but these rails are fairly pricey.

If you can get an Aero on sale, its still cheaper after adding the barrel nut and gas block.

Either way will be good, but both will require a bit of work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

A bunch. Night and day difference in my opinion.

Guys here don't want you know how easy it is because a lot of times that cheapo rifle will then be in the same league accuracy wise as their 2k+ boutique rifles.

When I took my S&W Sport and redid it with the FF handguard, Double Cryo treated Colt Socom barrel, trued receiver, bedded barrel extension, JP trigger, JP springs, Misc NiB parts, gauged and 'blueprinted' NiB BCG, and THEN topped it off by sending the entire built upper off to a local Voodoo priestess for some of her 'special' magic that only she could do to it - That shit got real.

Will put my floated / 'tuned' S&W Sport up against any 'boutique' high dollar rifle any day of the week and make their crap look broken once we start shooting for groups. (30 round groups so they can't make any 'excuses' about 'this or that' causing random flyers and shit)

Shoot me a PM is you need the number for the lady I used for the finishing touches. Best damn money I ever spent gaining that last little bit of accuracy from my build.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

Guys here don't want you know how easy it is because a lot of times that cheapo rifle will then be in the same league accuracy wise as their 2k+ boutique rifles.

When I took my S&W Sport and redid it with the FF handguard, Double Cryo treated Colt Socom barrel, trued receiver, bedded barrel extension, JP trigger, JP springs, Misc NiB parts, gauged and 'blueprinted' NiB BCG, and THEN topped it off by sending the entire built upper off to a local Voodoo priestess for some of her 'special' magic that only she could do to it - That shit got real.

Will put my floated / 'tuned' S&W Sport up against any 'boutique' high dollar rifle any day of the week and make their crap look broken once we start shooting for groups. (30 round groups so they can't make any 'excuses' about 'this or that' causing random flyers and shit)

Shoot me a PM is you need the number for the lady I used for the finishing touches. Best damn money I ever spent gaining that last little bit of accuracy from my build.

View Quote

Lol. That's a bit more entailed than a handguard swap.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
A free float barrel has zero effect on accuracy, what it does is eliminate impact shifts caused by sling tension and other pressures that cause stress on barrels that aren't free floated.  

Ammo quality is the number one most effective improvement that anyone can do to improve on target performance. Good ammo is not cheap. Rack grade barrels shoot surprisingly well with Sierra Match King bullets.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No shit, OP is talking about a hand-guard swap.

This cat clowns on 2k boutique rifles, proceeds to turn his S&W info a 2k boutique rifle that he just clowned and essentially clowned himself.

All that work he had done but is sure the ff rail made all the difference.

Right.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Not really.

If you 'got to get in there anyway' because you are doing the handguard swap and you already have everything apart and 'ready to be worked on'...

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
A free float barrel has zero effect on accuracy, what it does is eliminate impact shifts caused by sling tension and other pressures that cause stress on barrels that aren't free floated.  

View Quote

Not going to say anything about tuning forks / barrel harmonics or what happens when you touch them anywhere as they are doing their thing...

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Not really.

If you 'got to get in there anyway' because you are doing the handguard swap and you already have everything apart and 'ready to be worked on'...

View Quote

Claiming that a handguard is responsible for your increase in precision after also changing the barrel, bedding the extension, truing the receiver and putting in an aftermarket trigger is at best stupid. This is a joke, right?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#24]
OP, for the price of a rail you can buy a good trigger. I'd start there. I think for the money you'd appreciate that more. Opinions on what trigger is best vary A LOT. We probably have a new trigger thread on a daily basis. I personally would reccomend an SSA-E. They can be found on sale for $150ish. You may still want to free-float, but I think a good trigger is a better starting point and will give you a more tangible improvement for a similar cost.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#25]
I'm generally against against heavy-handed moderation but some of the stupidity that has been creeping into the tech sections should earn some people a sternly worded PM. Take that shit to GD.

Nonsense above aside,  yes a free float rail will improve the consistency of your barrel harmonic by reducing the number of contact points with other parts. Obviously a gas block, tube and barrel nut are required, but getting rid of any other points of contact will be beneficial. How beneficial depends on the individual barrel/rifle and how it is fired.

No, shooting it rested on the magazine will not show you its potential. There is still a handguard there adding points of contact and exerting some force.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
I'm generally against against heavy-handed moderation but some of the stupidity that has been creeping into the tech sections should earn some people a sternly worded PM. Take that shit to GD.

Nonsense above aside,  yes a free float rail will improve the consistency of your barrel harmonic by reducing the number of contact points with other parts. Obviously a gas block, tube and barrel nut are required, but getting rid of any other points of contact will be beneficial. How beneficial depends on the individual barrel/rifle and how it is fired.

No, shooting it rested on the magazine will not show you its potential. There is still a handguard there adding points of contact and exerting some force.
View Quote

Then take the handguards off, relieving the same stresses that a free float hand guard would, rest it on the magazine and shoot it.  The hand guard removed MIGHT make a difference, but the tension placed on the barrel by a delta ring is slight as well as consistent.  

Their is a group of guys and a few girls in all 50 states that compete against each other with M16’s.  They aren’t allowed to install free float hand guards on them because their uncle bought it for them.  The winners consistently DON’T use slings as a shooting aid and rest the rifle on the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Not really.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not really.

You're far off in the weeds.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#28]
I was happy with the stock performance of the M&P Sport 2, but any gains from adding a FF rail is a bonus.

For me its just the additional usefulness, comfort, and appearance with the rail vs the stock handguard.

I just shoot cheap steel from that rifle, its not like I'm using 77gr OTMs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I shoot XTC and Service Rifle. I installed a WOA NM float tube and handguard. The group size remained the same. What it did do, was let me sling up tight and not have the poi change. A ff handguard won't necessarily automatically shrink the group size.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't think this has been mentioned yet in the thread, but OP could go with a Daniel Defense Omega 7 rail and not have to disassemble anything. Just requires taking off the old plastic HG and installing the Omega rail, which is Free Float. No fuss, no muss, and it's in M1913 and Mlok flavors. Considering this for one of my M4's with a P/W.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#31]
@Aaron56

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Not really.

View Quote

@Aaron56

How much does that work cost not including the barrel or handguard?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
OP, for the price of a rail you can buy a good trigger. I'd start there. I think for the money you'd appreciate that more. Opinions on what trigger is best vary A LOT. We probably have a new trigger thread on a daily basis. I personally would reccomend an SSA-E. They can be found on sale for $150ish. You may still want to free-float, but I think a good trigger is a better starting point and will give you a more tangible improvement for a similar cost.
View Quote

I had the impression those triggers are expensive. I was surprised to hear $150 on sale. I would have guessed $200 on sale.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Geissele runs great sales. If I remember correctly my last SSA-E cost me $150. It certainly wasn't more than $160. I think a good trigger is the best upgrade you can make. None of my ARs have stock triggers. Even the ones I've built for my kids have the "enhanced" NiB triggers in them. There's just no excuse for how crappy most mil-spec triggers are.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Rubles:
I don't think this has been mentioned yet in the thread, but OP could go with a Daniel Defense Omega 7 rail and not have to disassemble anything. Just requires taking off the old plastic HG and installing the Omega rail, which is Free Float. No fuss, no muss, and it's in M1913 and Mlok flavors. Considering this for one of my M4's with a P/W.
View Quote

It is not "cheap", but it does work like magic.

Bought mine because I had a 14.5 Pin & Weld that because of the Pin & Weld I could not disassemble without sending back to a gun smith to remove the old P&W, and then re Pin & re Weld after the work.

So the D.D. Omega rail was super simple. Removed the old "conventional clamshell handguards.  Put the D.D. Omega in place, tighten the four locking screws and D-O-N-E!

I have been very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:54:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JDatTOA] [#36]
Unrelated but somewhat related. SW has a Sport 3 with a FF handguard that’s the same price as a 2. And it’s 1/8 5R instead of 1/9 likes the 2s

Edit: also it’s Mid length
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JDatTOA:
Unrelated but somewhat related. SW has a Sport 3 with a FF handguard that’s the same price as a 2. And it’s 1/8 5R instead of 1/9 likes the 2s

View Quote

Definitely a couple of steps above the Sport 2 if its similarly priced.

I'm adding an Aero rail to mine, and if I ever shoot the barrel out then I'll switch to a mid-length.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JDatTOA:

View Quote

I noticed the new one as well. The barrel is thinner than the Sport 1 and Sport 2. Like the 1 and 2 it is not chrome lined and is made of 4140 instead of 4150 steel. It is melonited, though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:31:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#39]
The best, most useful number for you to base things off of is zero. Zero precision improvement is both the most likely outcome and the one you should expect.

Precision is not achieved through a feature set.

Precision is not automatically withheld by a lack of free floating barrel.

The thing holding back a S&W or Ruger is mostly the barrel. The barrel is 90% of the precision of your AR.

The trigger allows you to more easily produce groups.

Optics allows you to more easily aim small and see the tiny movements that open group size.

Back when shooting slings were more common,FF rails meant more as there was less shot to shot sli g tension variation. Now they just allow you to use a bipod or different fore end grip to not have a POI shift.

Good ammo is the other half of the equation. You simply can't get good results without good ammo.

Also important is that your barrel likes the ammo it is shooting. Every barrel has ammo it likes and ammo it does not like.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#40]

@zWarlord

I wonder how much just tightening the barrel nut would have helped accuracy.

Any idea what groups you can get with the ammo your carbine likes?
View Quote

If I had known about the nut i would have hit that 1st, and imagine it would have helped a great deal. But just Free Floating the barrel with the loose nut cut the group sizes by 2/3
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:47:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#41]
Just finished installing the new rail on my M&P Sport 2, but I still need to get it out and see how it prints on paper.

Attachment Attached File

I never got it on paper before, just some steel gongs out in the field to 200 yards with the irons.

I’ll need to re-zero everything like it was new again. Still using the original barrel and bolt until I need to upgrade.

This is the AR I inherited from my older brother last year, and since it was his only AR (and I know he didn’t shoot it much) I figured I would do something special and fun with it.

It’s not like I’m ever going to part with it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Ammo plays a big part as well as your consistency.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Not otherwise mentioned here is that the S&W Sport 2 barrel was sourced from Thompson Center, an in-house barrel maker known for excellent accuracy at its price point.  While not match grade, most if them can shoot near MOA with match quality ammo.  Early ones were even 5R rifled.  They often had 1:9 twist, preventing them from shooting longer bullets.

Such a barrel in inherently capable of good groups (precision).  Free float it and add a good trigger (like SSA-E) and feed it match ammo and it is likely to shoot close to MOA.

But, know this, shoot crappy bulk ammo, such as budget M193 or green tip, from it or any other barrel and you will get no better than 2.5-3 MOA average.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:25:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FJ803FE] [#44]
Originally Posted By MS556:
Not otherwise mentioned here is that the S&W Sport 2 barrel was sourced from Thompson Center, an in-house barrel maker known for excellent accuracy at its price point.  While not match grade, most if them can shoot near MOA with match quality ammo.  Early ones were even 5R rifled.  They often had 1:9 twist, preventing them from shooting longer bullets.

Such a barrel in inherently capable of good groups (precision).  Free float it and add a good trigger (like SSA-E) and feed it match ammo and it is likely to shoot close to MOA.

But, know this, shoot crappy bulk ammo, such as budget M193 or green tip, from it or any other barrel and you will get no better than 2.5-3 MOA average.
View Quote

Mine without a FF was capable of shooting very good groups, even with 77gr IMI. I don't really see the need for FF without really benching accuracy first to see the baseline. Unless you really plan to shoot from barricades, might not even be worth the swap to FF. I was just using a basic clamshell handguard with sandbags to test accuracy. Additionally because the barrel is thicker than standard profile, it heats up slower and is more rigid.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:
Just finished installing the new rail on my M&P Sport 2, but I still need to get it out and see how it prints on paper.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414806/IMG_4897_jpeg-3176161.JPG

I never got it on paper before, just some steel gongs out in the field to 200 yards with the irons.

I’ll need to re-zero everything like it was new again. Still using the original barrel and bolt until I need to upgrade.

This is the AR I inherited from my older brother last year, and since it was his only AR (and I know he didn’t shoot it much) I figured I would do something special and fun with it.

It’s not like I’m ever going to part with it!
View Quote

@WrenchGuy

Did you install a different gas block?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:03:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#46]

@WrenchGuy

Did you install a different gas block?
View Quote

Yes, found a nice triple torx bolt clamp on gas block.

https://www.sixfiveoutfitters.com/product/sixfive-ar15-ultralite-clamp-on-gas-block/
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Just got done re-reading this thread. Thanks all for the posts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

View Quote

I'm not sure I get this. A slim yet heavy tube only supported on one end vs. a dual wall tube that has multiple contact points, and the lone tube is preferred?

I'd be worried about it on a rifle that does any serious work. Single point of failure and all. Wasn't there an army test where in certain situations the hand guard and delta ring performed better? I mean, maybe I'm mistaken, but, simple physics, right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#49]
Based on your other threads it sounds to me like you just got your first AR rifle?

If so, I would shoot it for at least 5k rounds before messing with it. Just get a good sling, sight (as most of them don't have one) and a can of ammo and have at it.  Once you get to 5k rounds, you'll know what you need to change out. Chances are you'll want a better trigger and sling over free floating the barrel, in my opinion.

If you're not good with what you have, you're not going to get any better with anything else.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
Based on your other threads it sounds to me like you just got your first AR rifle?

If so, I would shoot it for at least 5k rounds before messing with it. Just get a good sling, sight (as most of them don't have one) and a can of ammo and have at it.  Once you get to 5k rounds, you'll know what you need to change out. Chances are you'll want a better trigger and sling over free floating the barrel, in my opinion.

If you're not good with what you have, you're not going to get any better with anything else.
View Quote

Incorrect. I've had it for a while.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top