Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2024 7:24:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated]
So I haven't really kept up with the ATF's "Ghost gun" stupidity lately and would like some up-to-date info on where it all stands.

1. Can you still buy an 80% lower without FFL transfer? I've seen some retailers have 80% handgun frames (Glock or 1911) listed as coming serialized and requiring an FFL to transfer while others (particularly AR15 lowers) don't seem to mention anything about it.

2. If I want to send an unserialized formerly-80% lower that I have machined out to a complete firearm to an FFL for anodizing, will it need to be serialized for the FFL to log it in their book? For a non-NFA item does it have to be the full Maker's Name, Model, City, State , Serial info, or can it be just a serial number?

Though realistically, these days I imagine few FFLs are going to want to deal with an unserialized frame in their shop even if it isn't technically illegal. Too much of an invitation for ATF to crawl up their ass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about handguns, but there are lots of places selling 80% AR receivers, to the public.  You would have to put a number on it to send it to have it anodized I expect.  I would just buy an anodized lower and save the hassle, and the cost.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
ATF lost the court fight on their Non Gun parts rule.  Buy, make all the 80% evil Ghost Guns you want.

A dealer's gonna want a serial number to pass it through his books though.

You can do Type 2 anodizing at home, and Type 3 if you've got spare freezer space.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:

2. If I want to send an unserialized formerly-80% lower that I have machined out to a complete firearm to an FFL for anodizing, will it need to be serialized for the FFL to log it in their book? For a non-NFA item does it have to be the full Maker's Name, Model, City, State , Serial info, or can it be just a serial number?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jntmjt1:
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111652/Screenshot_2024-03-12_8_40_15_PM_png-3159187.JPG

Is that verbiage not from the rule that was struck down?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:49:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So I take that to mean that it can't even just be your own serial number you made up. It has to be whatever the FFL decides they have to engrave it as?

Originally Posted By backbencher:
ATF lost the court fight on their Non Gun parts rule.  Buy, make all the 80% evil Ghost Guns you want.

A dealer's gonna want a serial number to pass it through his books though.

You can do Type 2 anodizing at home, and Type 3 if you've got spare freezer space.

Hmmm... Well I do have plenty of spare freezer space and a callous willingness to fuck around with chemicals I know nothing about.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

This. Now curious....
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I think that is old news as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The rule is for unserialized receivers as well, OP.  If you show up w/ a "Colt" AR-14 receiver w/ a unicorn on it, made in Dothan, Alabama, and a SN of 123, I'm logging it in as Colt, AR-14, SN 123.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top