User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 26
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:18:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bruizer:
Has anyone tried out the ASC 6.8spc mags that 44mag.com sells? Just curious if they allow a slightly longer COL like the PRI ones.
Found here
View Quote

If you swap out the 6.8 SPC follower with a .223/5.56mm follower it should work, I have not tried those out yet personally...Although
someone on this board/thread may have done so...Also, looking Into trying the D&H .300 BLK version as well for the 6.5mm PCC.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By hockeynick39:

VV N133 should be alright like Doc says.  I am assuming that you have not yet fire-formed your cases.  This will have a big impact on what your true case capacity is after forming to your chamber.  Take your sized and trimmed cases, plug the primer pocket (hopefully with a used primer), fill it with water until a slight bubble crests the neck, and then weigh each water filled case separately.  Do this with about 5-10 cases to get a better average spread.  This will give you an initial H2O capacity.  Then, after shooting the same cases for fire-forming, do the same method with the water.  Take those numbers and subtract them.  This will give you how much capacity you gained due to fire-forming.  Re-size and trim the brass to reload for your testing loads.  I went from 31.5 H2O gr in my Winchester/ IMI cases to 33 and 33.5 gr H2O capacity.  This is huge for pressures, volumes, and velocities.  After about every 3rd firing, you may wish to anneal your brass to keep the necks and shoulders soft.  I have gotten about 10 firings out of my cases, which is outstanding for brass in an AR especially with the violence of the action.  Good luck and stay safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spinlite1:
Originally Posted By Dr69er:
SpinLite1,

Post some nice pics. of your new baby when she is complete when you get the chance...Glad the Bbl. got there in one piece, WTF USPS !

Right now the only powder I have been able to get my hands on that is close is Vitavori N133 powder,I am going to start out loading 90g Vmax, and 100g Sierra's, can you tell me what a good starting load for this would be? Thanks

VV N133 should be alright like Doc says.  I am assuming that you have not yet fire-formed your cases.  This will have a big impact on what your true case capacity is after forming to your chamber.  Take your sized and trimmed cases, plug the primer pocket (hopefully with a used primer), fill it with water until a slight bubble crests the neck, and then weigh each water filled case separately.  Do this with about 5-10 cases to get a better average spread.  This will give you an initial H2O capacity.  Then, after shooting the same cases for fire-forming, do the same method with the water.  Take those numbers and subtract them.  This will give you how much capacity you gained due to fire-forming.  Re-size and trim the brass to reload for your testing loads.  I went from 31.5 H2O gr in my Winchester/ IMI cases to 33 and 33.5 gr H2O capacity.  This is huge for pressures, volumes, and velocities.  After about every 3rd firing, you may wish to anneal your brass to keep the necks and shoulders soft.  I have gotten about 10 firings out of my cases, which is outstanding for brass in an AR especially with the violence of the action.  Good luck and stay safe.

Thanks that is great advice, I will do that, I have a large variety of brass all collected from the range, I will sort it as you have suggested.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spinlite1] [#3]
Originally Posted By Lakemoor:
I went down the N133 route with Bigdawg. It was determined not as good as H335 for speed.

I'd be interested in hearing about real N133 experience. I have little H335 left and lots of N133.
View Quote

I will try to get some loaded up this week, and shoot next weekend assuming the weather is good, so I should be able to give you some idea of how it does with 90g tnt's, and 95g Vmax
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:19:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spinlite1] [#4]
Has anyone tried out the ASC 6.8spc mags that 44mag.com sells? Just curious if they allow a slightly longer COL like the PRI ones.
Found here
View Quote

I purchase 2 of these mags, when I went to their website they advertise that they can handle hand loads up to 2.315, We will see, I purchased a 17 rounder and a 30 rounder and there 223 anti tilt followers to go with these, if they work it will be great, I bought them from Ammo to Go for 14.00 and 13.00.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]

I purchase 2 of these mags, when I went to their website they advertise that they can handle hand loads up to 2.315, We will see, I purchased a 17 rounder and a 30 rounder and there 223 anti tilt followers to go with these, if they work it will be great, I bought them from Ammo to Go for 14.00 and 13.00.
View All Quotes
Found here

Sounds good, price is very attractive, give us a update once you get everything together...Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:17:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spinlite1] [#6]

Sounds good, price is very attractive, give us a update once you get everything together...Thanks.
View All Quotes
Found here

I have tried the ASC 6.8 mags (cycling by hand) and I had to adjust (bend slightly) the feed lips to get them to function, I will give them the real test this weekend at the range.
I did finally get my gun together, it truley is a beast, with the 24in bull barrel, I have loaded up some 95 Vmax with VV n133 and some 90g tnt's with 133, started at 24g and worked up to 26.5 grains will use these to fire form some brass and brake in the gun barrel as well as get the scope sighted, hopefully this weekend, looks like weather in the 90's already for this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#7]

I have tried the ASC 6.8 mags (cycling by hand) and I had to adjust (bend slightly) the feed lips to get them to function, I will give them the real test this weekend at the range.
I did finally get my gun together, it truley is a beast, with the 24in bull barrel, I have loaded up some 95 amax with VV n133 and some 90g tnt's with 133, started at 24g and worked up to 26.5 grains will use these to fire form some brass and brake in the gun barrel as well as get the scope sighted, hopefully this weekend, looks like weather in the 90's already for this weekend.
View All Quotes
Found here

I did finally get my gun together, it truley is a beast, with the 24in bull barrel, I have loaded up some 95 amax with VV n133 and some 90g tnt's with 133, started at 24g and worked up to 26.5 grains will use these to fire form some brass and brake in the gun barrel as well as get the scope sighted, hopefully this weekend, looks like weather in the 90's already for this weekend.

Looking forward to it SpinLite1, hope all goes well, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spinlite1] [#8]
I can not figure out how to add pictures, Is there a way to add pictures without creating a URL?
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:20:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spinlite1] [#9]
Unfortunately they had a range work day today (saturday), and I have to work tomorrow, so testing the new gun and the N133 powder will have to wait till next weekend, I did finally get a hold of some H335 and loaded about 20 rounds up with it and the 95g Vmax, and the 90g tnt's, so will try to shoot next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Going to the range in the morning so will have a report on how the N133 does later tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#11]
" />" />

just for comparison the Lower gun is my 16" Barreled 300 Blackout, She is a beast, weighting over 13 lbs, definately not a gun to carry around too much.

Very anxious to shoot her tomorrow.

Lyle
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:53:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spinlite1] [#12]
I do have a question, the flash suppressor that I have installed is identical to the one I have on my standard AR that shoots 223/556, however I checked the diameter of the center and it is .35 inches, (.308 bullet drops thru very easily) so I am assuming it will work fine, I am going to shoot tomorrow without the flash suppressor on there, but wanted to check with you guys to see if there is a reason that it would need more clearance that it already has inside the flash suppressor?

Any help would be great.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Shouldn't be a problem. Have a .30 cal hider on mine, and it works fine. Let us know how yours shoots.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Spinlite1,

The comp seems to be made for .30 Cal./.308" so like Hilljack said you should be good to go...They
usually are threaded 5/8-24 TPI, so again you should be good to go.

Guess you really like that particular camo pattern...good to see you were able to upload your pics...
No doubt you will get it dialed in with your loads...just take your time, you will do fine...

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 10:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spinlite1] [#15]
http://<ahttp://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/spinlite/IMG_20140511_201548_490_zps07e1f82a.jpg</a>" />

This was my first 10 shots after the 4 shots it took to get the scope dialed in. I was trying to be accurate but with the Powder charge changing after every 2 rounds I knew the group would not be super tight, this was slightly more than 2" group.

The N133 did better than expected, there were no pressure signs, here is the velocities I was getting:

Vmax 95g/24g/ 2558 fps
Vmax 95g/24.3g/2698fps
Vmax 95g/24.6g/2712 fps
Vmax 95g/24.8/ error on Chrony
Vmax 95g/25.1/2762 fps
TNT 90g/24g/2410 fps
TNT 90g/24.3g/2606 fps
TNT 90g/24.6g/2668 fps
TNT 90g/24.8g/2690 fps
TNT 90g/25.1g/2704 fps

These are the Average of the 2 shots at each charge

the 25.1g load with the 95g Vmax was a  very compressed load, but I know with the brass fire formed now I can get another grain or 2 in the case, I am confident that I can get to 2800 or more with a max load with the n133
I did get some h335 so I will try that next trip to the range, and see what it will do, but I am definately happy with the results from the N133.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I did the painting of both of them at the same time so they ended up looking just a like.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 3:41:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#17]
http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/spinlite/IMG_20140511_201548_490_zps07e1f82a.jpg</a>" />

This was my first 10 shots after the 4 shots it took to get the scope dialed in. I was trying to be accurate but with the Powder charge changing after every 2 rounds I knew the group would not be super tight, this was slightly less than 2" group.

The N133 did better than expected, there were no pressure signs, here is the velocities I was getting:

Amax 95g/24g/ 2558 fps
Amax 95g/24.3g/2698fps
Amax 95g/24.6g/2712 fps
Amax 95g/24.8/ error on Chrony
Amax 95g/25.1/2762 fps
TNT 90g/24g/2410 fps
TNT 90g/24.3g/2606 fps
TNT 90g/24.6g/2668 fps
TNT 90g/24.8g/2690 fps
TNT 90g/25.1g/2704 fps

These are the Average of the 2 shots at each charge

the 25.1g load with the 95g Amax was a  very compressed load, but I know with the brass fire formed now I can get another grain or 2 in the case, I am confident that I can get to 2800 or more with a max load with the n133
I did get some h335 so I will try that next trip to the range, and see what it will do, but I am definately happy with the results from the N133.
View Quote

Spinlite1,

Not bad at all for your Initial test groups and for starting to get your rifle and scope dialed In...The velocities are a bit better than expected with N133 and since you have plenty
of N133 powder on hand It will be easier for you to get a really good accuracy node for the pills that you favor like the 95gr. Hornady V-Max for example...Once you get a good
and accurate load you will then have the opportunity to have enough fire-formed on hand to get some extra velocity loads to work with...Then you can start your load development
with your H335 powder...with fire-formed loads you will likely get over 2,800 fps. with N133 without much effort. H335 may get you over 2,900 fps with the same pills, etc., just go
slow and take your time...

Nice work so far, hopefully more success will follow with your continued load development as you continue to get everything dialed-in...Best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I did want to mention that I did have about 6 or 7 malfunctions, the ACS mags were having trouble feeding, there are several things that could be causing it, the feed lips might not be tight enough (I may need to bend them in slightly more, also the 223 followers do fit pretty loosely in the magazine, so I may need to do something to take up some of the slack, any luck on the other Mags you were talking about getting and trying? I did order a couple of the 223 10 round ACS mags today , they have the longer COL design but maybe they will feed better than the 6.8 mags with 223 followers. I will try both.

Also one point on my loads above, I did load them kind of long for the shorter bullets, they were all loaded to 2.295, I will try on the next batch 2.285 and see how that does.

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I did want to mention that I did have about 6 or 7 malfunctions, the ACS mags were having trouble feeding, there are several things that could be causing it, the feed lips might not be tight enough (I may need to bend them in slightly more, also the 223 followers do fit pretty loosely in the magazine, so I may need to do something to take up some of the slack, any luck on the other Mags you were talking about getting and trying? I did order a couple of the 223 10 round ACS mags today , they have the longer COL design but maybe they will feed better than the 6.8 mags with 223 followers. I will try both.

Also one point on my loads above, I did load them kind of long for the shorter bullets, they were all loaded to 2.295, I will try on the next batch 2.285 and see how that does.

View Quote

the 6.8 pri mags work perfect for me, slight tweek to the lips and they run like a clock.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
The PRI mags run fine for me also, with 5.56 followers. Have some AR Stoner 6.8 mags, they always seem to hang up around the same round count every time.  Maybe they can be tweaked to work 100% ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Bigdawg did you have to bend the 6.8 lips in?  I got some but haven't played with them yet.  Any pics?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:07:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#22]
Originally Posted By BIGGDAWG:

the 6.8 pri mags work perfect for me, slight tweek to the lips and they run like a clock.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BIGGDAWG:

Thanks guys for your Input...I have a good friend that is a competition shooter and he also told me about a similar set-up that worked for him as well.

So it seems that the PRI 6.8mm SPC Mags with .223/5.56 followers (with very little/no tweeking needed) is a Good To Go combo with the added benefit
of a COL capability in the 2.300" + range .

Next we will be getting a batch of .300 BLK mags made by D&H USA for all you ARF 6.5mm PCC end users that want to try them in your rifles [GRATIS] !
We should get a hold of a small batch the next coming weeks guys. Hopefully they will work as well...

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#23]
Originally Posted By Hilljack:
The PRI mags run fine for me also, with 5.56 followers. Have some AR Stoner 6.8 mags, they always seem to hang up around the same round count every time.  Maybe they can be tweaked to work 100% ?
View Quote

The quality on the AR Stoner brand seems to be hit or miss...Perhaps with a slight Inward bend on the feed lips it may work just fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Bigdawg did you have to bend the 6.8 lips in?  I got some but haven't played with them yet.  Any pics?

Thanks
View Quote

i tweeked them just a little might not have needed it but they run good now. I would try them first with just the follower and see what  they do
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#25]
Below is a link for the D&H Tactical .300 BLK magazines...with some spec. Info. These mags should work well with the 6.5mm PCC round as well as
other .223/5.56 based wildcats that are 6.5mm and larger...

http://www.copesdistributing.com/ar15-blackout-30rd-black-teflon-p-7206.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#26]
First of all, thank you for the epic reading material and all of the work you guys have been doing on this. After a few weeks of chipping my way slowly through all 31 pages i finally registered so i could throw some thoughts out for you to mull over.

To make sure i recall correctly, the 223 magazines have two issues with this round:

The first, the reduced case taper reduces feeding reliability when loaded heavy in curved mags?

Second, the neck of the case touches the the main mag rib causing excess tension?

ASC manufactures 20 round 223 straight mags and 15 round straight 6.8 spc mags. they also make them from stainless steel with an advertised COL of 2.316 inches.
So in theory, wouldn't the straight 6.8 mags with the 223 follower be perfect? or would you still need to tweak the feed lips?

You may have sold me on this for my next build, was going to do a grendel but brass and such are really pricey and i have 1000 pieces or so of 223/556 brass that were going to be for  a 6x45mm. The real key point that your work showed me was that the round could achieve terminal performance velocity for partitions out past 300 yards using a bullet and caliber that i have respect for. Thank again!

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#27]
Originally Posted By Nicodemis85:
First of all, thank you for the epic reading material and all of the work you guys have been doing on this. After a few weeks of chipping my way slowly through all 31 pages i finally registered so i could throw some thoughts out for you to mull over.

To make sure i recall correctly, the 223 magazines have two issues with this round:

The first, the reduced case taper reduces feeding reliability when loaded heavy in curved mags?

Second, the neck of the case touches the the main mag rib causing excess tension?

ASC manufactures 20 round 223 straight mags and 15 round straight 6.8 spc mags. they also make them from stainless steel with an advertised COL of 2.316 inches.
So in theory, wouldn't the straight 6.8 mags with the 223 follower be perfect? or would you still need to tweak the feed lips?

You may have sold me on this for my next build, was going to do a grendel but brass and such are really pricey and i have 1000 pieces or so of 223/556 brass that were going to be for  a 6x45mm. The real key point that your work showed me was that the round could achieve terminal performance velocity for partitions out past 300 yards using a bullet and caliber that i have respect for. Thank again!

View Quote

Correct, very little to no tweeking of the PRI 6.8mm mags with .223 followers with that set-up you described (2.300+ COL)...HK-416 5.56mm Marine mags (2.300"+ COL), Wilson/Lancer 7.62 x 40mm (2.270" COL) magazines are also 100% functional/reliable...ASC and Magpul mags also show very good reliably at or near full capacity...

Some of the guys have some really cheap surplus 5.56mm Mil-Spec mags that are very serviceable and work fine...Also, some guys use low cost Pmags and de-rib
the Inside of the mag and it works well, the only downside with the Pmags is the limited COL of about 2.269" or so...

We will be also trying .300 Blk D&H magazines for field testing and they show a lot of promise for use with .223/5.56mm based rounds like the 6.5mm PCC...

The beauty of the 6.5mm PCC is it is accurate, low recoil, high powered considering the modest case capacity and cost effective to load for...It would be perfect for most hunting situations for game like Deer or Hogs up to 300 Meters or so...

The end users here on this thread/board are very knowledgeable and a great bunch of guys to ask for advice and to share there experiences...

Again, welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#28]
How severe is the reliability issue with case taper, in relation to fully loading a 30 round mag? If it causes issues, would using the straight mags solve the problem?

The primary issue is the neck binding on the main magazine rib and causing FTFs, correct? And this was solved by using 6.8spc mags since they have a longer length from head to shoulder, and therefore the main rib is closer to the front of the mag?

Do the mag lips need tightened in or opened up when it needs done?

I just want to be sure i have my mind wrapped around the magazine factors, as the magazines you mentioned that work perfectly usually seem to cost over $40 each or more. The ASC stainless mags can be ordered direct from ASC for about $18 a piece. And for those of us who no longer live in "America", they will permanently modify mags to what ever capacity you want for an extra $2 a mag (you have to order over the phone).

I just want to be sure i got all of this right in my head before i would burn a bunch of money on new mags.

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Also, has anyone talked to LE Wilson about about a trimming shell holder based on the chamber reamer?
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Also, has anyone talked to LE Wilson about about a trimming shell holder based on the chamber reamer?
View Quote

Correct on all counts, you have read everything right...A few guys have ordered LE Wilson or other brands who shoot a lot
and felt the need to custom order one for themselves etc. Most of the guys buy a couple of the more higher quality mags
due to the extra COL and reliability they offer, plus they can use them for other .223/5.56mm based rounds...
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#31]
One other thing I wanted to mention, when you order a barrel and die kit you will get a barrel that has been
fully Inspected and function tested with dummy rounds and fully head-space checked.

Every customer also gets a trimmed 6.5mm PCC case and a 6.5mm PCC dummy round to help them make
a very easy fool-proofed transition Into our world of AR-15 wildcat cartridges...
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Dr69er,
The case taper is not effected until after fireforming, correct?

Is the reduction in case taper only a minor issue with magazines?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Dr69er,
The case taper is not effected until after fireforming, correct?

Is the reduction in case taper only a minor issue with magazines?
View Quote

Correct on both accounts.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I have the 15 round straight 6.8 spc mags from ASC and I bent the feed lips in slightly for the first trial at the range and had 2 to 3 malfuntions while shooting the 12 rounds that I had loaded in it, I then bent the feed lips in a little more and it functioned better, it would work good till I got down to only 2 rounds left in it and it would not feed that next to last round. (This mag has a ASC 223 follower in it instead of the 6.8 follower), Also I can attest that even though they claim it to be 2.315, The longest round I can get to fit in it is 2.295.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 1:28:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#35]

I have the 15 round straight 6.8 spc mags from ASC and I bent the feed lips in slightly for the first trial at the range and had 2 to 3 malfuntions while shooting the 12 rounds that I had loaded in it, I then bent the feed lips in a little more and it functioned better, it would work good till I got down to only 2 rounds left in it and it would not feed that next to last round. (This mag has a ASC 223 follower in it instead of the 6.8 follower), Also I can attest that even though they claim it to be 2.315, The longest round I can get to fit in it is 2.295.
View All Quotes

The PRI 6.8mm mags usually have a minimum COL of 2.295" while some are up to 2.308" COL maximum, you are correct in that I have not seen any PRI AR-15
mags go as high as 2.315" COL (which may be the advertised maximum COL). One other thing I have noticed is that many (mostly Steel, but some Aluminum)
mags have very sharp Internal feed lip edges and the tend to gouge the brass cases pretty good and sometimes may cause malfunctions...I have seen them
with PRI, ASC, and Lancer L5 mags...Some stoning or otherwise breaking those sharp edges would certainly be in order.

The best overall magazine seems to be (for any .223/5.56mm and the wildcats based on them) the HK-416 (Germany) Marine Mags (perhaps this is why they are
so pricey) they are extremely rialiable and have a minimum 2.300" COL with everyone I have tried so far...Price is in the $40-$60 range each. They are I believe the
same mags used in the Spec. Ops. Forces/SEAL Teams...

Like any new mechanical device, you do have to give it a chance for a break in period as everything can be stiff/tight/have high spring tension, etc...

Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]
i have a more specific question. you mentioned about reaming the freebore to allow longer COL and greater seating depth options. for the 100gr partitions (and similar bullets), was this a necessary process or do they load properly at all seating depths with the barrel at factory specs?  

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#37]
i have a more specific question. you mentioned about reaming the freebore to allow longer COL and greater seating depth options. for the 100gr partitions (and similar bullets), was this a necessary process or do they load properly at all seating depths with the barrel at factory specs?  

View Quote

Yes they will, however, chamber throat/free bore was extended for a few reasons:

To lower chamber pressures...
Allow use of VLD type projectiles...
Increase case capacity by way of longer available COL..

The 6.5mm caliber has projectiles which are long for caliber (higher BC's) and also have
higher Sectional Density (SD's) for caliber...with the limited AR-15 COL and other mag
restrictions which necessitated some design changes/Improvements
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Yes they will, however, chamber throat/free bore was extended for a few reasons:

The 6.5mm caliber has projectiles which are long for caliber (higher BC's) and also have
higher Sectional Density (SD's) for caliber...with the limited AR-15 COL and other mag
View All Quotes

I have no desire to use VLD.
i am looking at the 95 and 100 gr projectiles only as they have the speed performance envelope i am interested in and what are what got me all excited about this frankenstein of yours :)
i want the freebore to be in the range for accurate loading for the 95 and 100 gr, 110 would be absolute max as i do not like the velocity numbers for the heavier gr bullets, for my interests and intended use.
Is the chamber pressure an issue with this projectile range?
Is the case capacity?

I ask as i wouldnt want to mess with it if it isnt needed (aint broke, dont fix it). i know you have done alot to this to make it versatile to the most shooters that you could. I am just trying to see what i actually need to make it work for me.

Sorry for all of these pesky questions, i am just trying to get as much info as i can from out of your brain housing group!
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#39]
All our 6.5mm PCC barrels are delivered throated, head-spaced checked, function tested, M4 feed-ramps polished, and Inspected, etc.
They also come with a trimmed case and dummy round for ease of set-up for reloading.

85gr., 90gr., 95gr., 100gr., and 107gr., projectiles will deliver anywhere between 3,000 feet per second to 2,600 feet per second velocity
depending on barrel length and load recipe etc. The weights listed are the sweet spot for the 6.5mm PCC, although many 120gr. loads
also do very well...

Case capacity will be in the 25grs. to 29grs.(loaded) or so depending on load/powder, case, fire-forming, and COL.

No Issues of any kind were noticed by our 6.5mm PCC end users here with any of the load weights listed above...of course while using
sane and safe loading techniques during reloading or getting started, etc...

We are all here to help each other with any questions that may arise from time to time...

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#40]

i am looking at the 95 and 100 gr projectiles only as they have the speed performance envelope i am interested in and what are what got me all excited about this frankenstein of yours :)
i want the freebore to be in the range for accurate loading for the 95 and 100 gr, 110 would be absolute max as i do not like the velocity numbers for the heavier gr bullets, for my interests and intended use.
Is the case capacity?

I ask as i wouldnt want to mess with it if it isnt needed (aint broke, dont fix it). i know you have done alot to this to make it versatile to the most shooters that you could. I am just trying to see what i actually need to make it work for me.

Sorry for all of these pesky questions, i am just trying to get as much info as i can from out of your brain housing group!
View All Quotes

Is the case capacity?

Doc is giving you a lot of good information.  I have an 18" barrel that I have done a lot of testing with for him.  I am revisiting some old data and boosting it for more information after we found that the pressures could be increased in this cartridge.  I can tell you that there just is not enough case capacity to go beyond reasonable pressure limits in this cartridge.  The only problems that I have found is when substituting a standard primer for a magnum primer when loading extruded powders vs. ball powders.  I am using Winchester/ IMI brass (brass made in Israel by Israeli Military Industries) and it has almost .5 gr more water capacity than the LC (Lake City) brass.  I am waiting for the local range to open, it is down for some modifications until mid-June.  I like the gamut of 85-120 gr projectiles from my 18" barrel and each cartridge is 2.285" OAL.  The velocities range from 3100 fps to 2600 fps using a steady diet of H335 and small magnum primers.  I live in a climate with highly varying temperatures, so I am moving towards using H322 and a standard small primers.  if you are going to make the jump to this cartridge, I would get either the 20" or 22" barrels and some HK416 mags (if money is no object, otherwise get the PRi 6.8 mags with the 5.56 follower), that way you can get a maximum of everything good!  Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Doc is giving you a lot of good information.  I have an 18" barrel that I have done a lot of testing with for him.  I am revisiting some old data and boosting it for more information after we found that the pressures could be increased in this cartridge.  I can tell you that there just is not enough case capacity to go beyond reasonable pressure limits in this cartridge.  The only problems that I have found is when substituting a standard primer for a magnum primer when loading extruded powders vs. ball powders.  I am using Winchester/ IMI brass (brass made in Israel by Israeli Military Industries) and it has almost .5 gr more water capacity than the LC (Lake City) brass.  I am waiting for the local range to open, it is down for some modifications until mid-June.  I like the gamut of 85-120 gr projectiles from my 18" barrel and each cartridge is 2.285" OAL.  The velocities range from 3100 fps to 2600 fps using a steady diet of H335 and small magnum primers.  I live in a climate with highly varying temperatures, so I am moving towards using H322 and a standard small primers.  if you are going to make the jump to this cartridge, I would get either the 20" or 22" barrels and some HK416 mags (if money is no object, otherwise get the PRi 6.8 mags with the 5.56 follower), that way you can get a maximum of everything good!  Good luck and stay safe.
View All Quotes

Is the case capacity?

Thank you Nick for your Input and your great load work with the 6.5mm PCC in 18" Bbl. format...Hope everything works out  great with your other
barrel, I trust that It will...Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#42]
i am looking at this for Pig, Deer, range/plinking.
i am looking to get 2600 or slightly above with Nosler 100gr partitions. The BC of these bullets means that it should hold over 1800 ft/sec to around 350 yards or so (this is the advertised performance minimum velocity from Nosler). so with any temperature variations in consideration, it should be a solid year round 300 yard capable shooter for the 100 gr partitions. 95-100 bullets are what i would stick to. i am looking to be able to load them in a cold barrel < 1 MOA or better. i am thinking a 18-20 inch barrel cut for light weight. i have no desire for any bullet over 110 gr. you guys are the ones who have played with this and i am on a tight budget, so i need to plan the whole thing out to be able to give your creation a go. I think this monster of yours will fill the spot i have been searching for for quite a while now. From the entire discussion on this, i gather that my requirements should be quite achievable and should be rather modest specs given what i have seen some of you do during load development.

Will i need the freebore adjusted/reamed from the factory reamer cut that BHW does to achieve this?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#43]
i am looking at this for Pig, Deer, range/plinking.
i am looking to get 2600 or slightly above with Nosler 100gr partitions. The BC of these bullets means that it should hold over 1800 ft/sec to around 350 yards or so (this is the advertised performance minimum velocity from Nosler). so with any temperature variations in consideration, it should be a solid year round 300 yard capable shooter for the 100 gr partitions. 95-100 bullets are what i would stick to. i am looking to be able to load them in a cold barrel < 1 MOA or better. i am thinking a 18-20 inch barrel cut for light weight. i have no desire for any bullet over 110 gr. you guys are the ones who have played with this and i am on a tight budget, so i need to plan the whole thing out to be able to give your creation a go. I think this monster of yours will fill the spot i have been searching for for quite a while now. From the entire discussion on this, i gather that my requirements should be quite achievable and should be rather modest specs given what i have seen some of you do during load development.

Will i need the freebore adjusted/reamed from the factory reamer cut that BHW does to achieve this?
View Quote

You should be able to get a easy 2,600 fps. with 100gr. Nosler Partitions with a 20" Bbl., a standard profile should work fine for you...

I would go with our throated versions just for ease of transition and leaving nothing to chance as we test for proper dimensions, head-space, and dry cycling with dummy rounds, etc.

We are also able to give our customers a bit of break on price if they are on a really tight budget...We also do a custom load sheet with the customers available powders and pills they
have on hand/in stock, etc.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you, that clears it up for me. Sorry it took so many posts to get my question clear enough.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#45]

I will try to get some loaded up this week, and shoot next weekend assuming the weather is good, so I should be able to give you some idea of how it does with 90g tnt's, and 95g Amax
View All Quotes
I went down the N133 route with Bigdawg. It was determined not as good as H335 for speed.

I'd be interested in hearing about real N133 experience. I have little H335 left and lots of N133.

I will try to get some loaded up this week, and shoot next weekend assuming the weather is good, so I should be able to give you some idea of how it does with 90g tnt's, and 95g Amax

I will start using the H335 for my next round of load testing, I have seen the results of what has been said on here, with the N133 powder, Max I can get in a case is 27.1g and it is mildly compressed, My last trip to the range I tested Sierra 85g varminters with n133 powder and best I could get with it was 1777 fps with a load of 26.1g of powder. Best velocity was with CCI 450 primers, but I did try the same loading with Remington Bench rest primers and got close within about 30fps of the 450 primers, and the accuracy was excellet with  the BR primers, sub .5 moa

I will try 3 more loadings with the n133 and the 85g bullets, 26.5g, 26.9g, and 27.1g, I have these loaded up just waiting to go to the range, after these I will have enough fireformed brass, and plan to start load testing the h335, I do not have the Crimp die yet so all of these tests are uncrimped, I do think I would get a little more velocity out of them if they were crimped.

Vic, any word on the crimp dies?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#46]

I will start using the H335 for my next round of load testing, I have seen the results of what has been said on here, with the N133 powder, Max I can get in a case is 27.1g and it is mildly compressed, My last trip to the range I tested Sierra 85g varminters with n133 powder and best I could get with it was 1777 fps with a load of 26.1g of powder. Best velocity was with CCI 450 primers, but I did try the same loading with Remington Bench rest primers and got close within about 30fps of the 450 primers, and the accuracy was excellet with  the BR primers, sub .5 moa

I will try 3 more loadings with the n133 and the 85g bullets, 26.5g, 26.9g, and 27.1g, I have these loaded up just waiting to go to the range, after these I will have enough fireformed brass, and plan to start load testing the h335, I do not have the Crimp die yet so all of these tests are uncrimped, I do think I would get a little more velocity out of them if they were crimped.

View All Quotes

Spoke again to the Factory rep. today, shipping may be as soon as this Friday the 30th or (more likely) by June 16th timeframe...I have been calling them every week, they were always
on schedule with their orders before the big backlog of the last year or so, they have three shifts going and they still can't keep up with demand...Fingers crossed.

Sub .5 MOA is fantastic, you should be able to squeeze some more velocity with N133 with the fire-formed cases, ditto for better results (velocity and accuracy) once you get your
factory crimp die.

Thanks and keep up the great work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#47]
By the way, still unhappy with how the ASC 6.8 magazine with the 223 follower in it is feeding, had multiple failures to feed this last time at the range. I am going to order a couple of the HK magazines since I have heard from everyone about how well they work and the longer OAL will be nice, especially when I start getting to the longer bullets, would love to get a Hornady 123g SST over 2500 fps if possible.

Any more progress on the 6.8 PCC round you were working on, Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#48]
By the way, still unhappy with how the ASC 6.8 magazine with the 223 follower in it is feeding, had multiple failures to feed this last time at the range. I am going to order a couple of the HK magazines since I have heard from everyone about how well they work and the longer OAL will be nice, especially when I start getting to the longer bullets, would love to get a Hornady 123g SST over 2500 fps if possible.

Any more progress on the 6.8 PCC round you were working on, Just curious.
View Quote

You may want to try other brands/types to see how they do...Most guys have had pretty good results with PRI 6.8 mags with the .223 followers so far...Ditto
for the factory 5.56mm NATO H&K-416 Marine mags are just superb....

The 6.8mm PCC version is on the back burner for now, as Mark from MDWS with the .277 Wolverine round is much closer to production than I am with
my 6.8mm PCC version, etc. I have been nursing some personal health conditions and it has slowed me down quite a bit...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 3:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#49]

View All Quotes

I'm sure you meant 2,777 feet per second velocity with the 85 grain SIE loads using N133 powder with non fire-formed brass cases...

Most of the 6.5mm PCC end users are getting ~ 3,000 feet per second with the same pills using H335 powder...
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#50]

I'm sure you meant 2,777 feet per second velocity with the 85 grain SIE loads using N133 powder with non fire-formed brass cases...

Most of the 6.5mm PCC end users are getting ~ 3,000 feet per second with the same pills using H335 powder...
View All Quotes

Yes, you are correct I meant 2777 fps, I just started with the n133 to see what it would do, I had heard from guys at my range that like it for 223, and I have a lot more of it than the H335, Looking forward to getting over 3000 fps out of the H335.
Page / 26
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top