Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2024 11:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor_Man]
I built this fella about 2 years ago and never fired it, nice parts too.  I went all out at the time with about 1000 factory rounds, and dies/projectiles to go along with it.  Built it originally thinking I'd do a few prairie dog hunts, but that never materialized.  What's current opinion on the round?  What would ots potential strong points be today?  I'm trying to rationalize myself into keeping it, but I'm not seeing a purpose.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen,  the Valk can be hit or miss on finding a good load. I work at a local range and have seen more than a few guys struggle with the Valk, most have given up and moved on.
A great, easy to load cartridge is the 6 ARC. Just pull the Valk barrel and throw on an ARC. I've watched guys absolutely hammer 800yd steel in matches with the ARC. I think it would be a terrific pdog round too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:37:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: badkarmaiii] [#2]
My 224 has been pretty good, but I've only put a few hundred rounds through it.
Unfortunately, ARP doesn't make those barrels anymore.
22" 6.5 twist 3R RLG.

I starting from scratch, I'd probably go ARC.
The factory 75 ELD-M is enough reason.
I wish they'd load an 80 ELD-M in both cartridges.

ETA:
Looking at the prices of ammo, might as well make it a 223 and switch to 6.5 Creedmoor in a small frame for the long shots.
I might do this with my Valkyrie and 2 Grendels.
Just not enough advantage for the price.
Also, I don't have to carry a battle load or worry about full auto control, which largely drove the intermediate cartridges.
Now that we have the POFs and SFAR, the AR 15 high performance cartridges have become niche / near obsolete.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't need it or want it then definitely sell it off and go with something you might. If you like it and enjoy shooting it then keep it an enjoy.

I have gone the other direction and usually keep what I have. Some may not get the use that others do, but it is nice having them when I want to.

My Grendel only gets pulled out every now and then, but I still love to shoot it as do friends and family. The longer shot can be handled by my AR10's (6.5 Creedmoor). If even longer is desired I will switch to my 6.5 PRC Bolt gun. All of mine use longer barrels to take advantage of the cartridge. I have a 6 ARC build started, but I've kind of lost interest in it since I have other that will perform similar or better for my need.

I still have AR's in 223/556 in shorter packages and those don't get used often but I am glad I have them when I want to. None are a go to for home defense, I have other items for that.

My daughter started building an AR and she decided on the 224 Valk. Even with its limitations and skill needed for longer distances it is what she wants to work with.

Since I find tinkering with loads rewarding, this even has my interest.For every cartridge I have listed I will mess with bullet and powder combinations just to see what they may be able to do. I have not found a PRC load using Berger VLD's that give the performance I am looking for.

Rational or purpose for keeping, selling or changing them is only something you can define. I have kept a 6mm Creedmoor barrel with the thoughts of building up another rifle on it even though when it was on a rifle it was finicky as hell. When it did shoot it shot really well. As for a cartridge staying relevant, well there is always a flavor of the week coming out. It would be nice to have them all, but my pockets aren't that deep

The SFAR I can't comment on because I don't hunt anymore and if I was to get back into it I would go with a bolt gun. Since a field or hunting gun seems to be it's selling point I have never really seen a reason to look into them. Lighter may have snappier recoil than a heavier rifle for some people, other may notice nothing. My large frames do just fine for me so I stick with those.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The 224Valkyrie is still a good varmint/target/match round. The only real issue it had was bad initial reamers, or reamers that didn’t align with revised production ammo. My RA Ultramatch’s and WOA barrel have been great, and easy to load for. I’m not sure if WC barrels were chambered with the revised reamer, so your precision may be impacted by the barrel.

The only other commercial option that will give similar performance will be the 22ARC for an AR15. I’m building some of those as well, but I won’t be ditching the 224Valkyrie. I’ve won some local gas gun events using it, and with factory ammo, stretching out to 800+ yds isn’t an issue.

If you keep it, start looking for H4895 for reloading. That stuff is magic for 80-85.5gr projectiles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My valkyrie is still relevant to me . I use it deer hunting  , 90 grain federal fusions  works great , accuracy is right at moa give or take . 60 grain noslers run around .75 moa and 90 grain matchkings are wtf! I haven't tried the new revised edition .
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my valkyrie and shoot the shit out of it.  I won't even think about using it under 1k yards cause it's not even fun (just to easy).   Infact I built a higher end precision 223 wylde so I have something from 600-800 range (use my 308 ar for 700-1k range)  

That being said, if you reload it's a fantastic round.  Just know it's a very picky round when it comes bullet jump

If its all factory ammo, it's hit and miss imo.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as factory support? No. 22 ARC will dominate in factory rifle offerings, barrel/gas system options reloading components and marketing.

Hornady is the best in the gun buisness.

224 Valkyrie is the same as 22 Nosler for me. It's a Handloaders cartridge that's has absolute dog shit brass life. I mean worst I've ever experienced.

Both destroy rims within 1-2 loads. And these are within Hornadys recommended charge weights.

So trying to control the consentricity and tension of brass from cycle to cycle wile running it through a gas gun is a pain in the ass, and to some degree restricts top end performance.

22 Grendel has exhibited none of these problems for years. 22 ARC should be no different, even better perhaps without having to turn down Grendel brass anymore.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:57:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BobR1] [#8]
My TWO CENTS

I am new to the party, and after doing my research I built a 20" 22 ARC. So far shooting 75 ELD-M's through it. I also have some of the new 62 ELD-VT Bullets as well as plenty of 80 A-Max and 80 VLD's to work with. I am totally happy with my 22 ARC at this point.

With that said, It looks like you have a Very High Quality Build to work with. If I were you I would work with your 224V before ditching the barrel. I would probably down load the 224V a little to help with brass life, and enjoy working with it. I am doing the same with my 22 ARC. Factory ammo seems to be plenty Warm. I pulled down my second 50 rounds and down loaded it for better Brass Life.
You built your 224V, so all you would need to do is get a new Barrel and Magazines. You can do that any time, and a little later in the game will probably have more barrel options open to you.

First off "today" if you went with a 22 ARC you will need to buy factory Hornady Loaded Ammo for Brass. It will probably take a couple years for Brass to show up on the shelves. Ammo is just now starting to show up. You have everything to make your 224V run for a long time on hand. You might as well enjoy the Journey working with the 224V.

My advice as a long time reloader. Start working with your 224V like it is the best thing since sliced bread. If you decide it will not shoot up to expectations, or does not shoot well, order a 22 ARC Barrel. I suspect that you will be able to get your 224V to operate at a level you are happy with.
You can always rebarrel it at a later date.

Bob R

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I built a .224 V last year around a Wilson Combat 20" barrel.  It was about the best barrel I could find without special ordering one.
Anyway, I would call it a mixed bag.  It doesn't like most factory ammo, around 2-4 MOA.  It will shoot 90 gr SMK FGMM around 1 MOA and 88 gr Hornady ELD about 1.5 MOA.
For handloads 90 gr SMK and 75 gr ELD with CFE223 will shoot pretty good.  Around .8 MOA but not consistently.  I haven't tried 80 gr bullets yet.
Just not consistently accurate, at least for me.  I'm not interested in spending the money on another barrel to try.

Sometimes to prove to myself I can still shoot, I'll take my WOA barreled .223 Wilde or Criterion barreled .308 to the range and get groups half the size of what I was shooting with the .224 V.

Over the years I have tried several of what I call the boutique AR-15 rounds meant to reach out, the 6.5 Grendel, the 6mm ARC and now the .224V.
For accuracy the best of them was the 6.5 Grendel.  That thing was a laser beam with a Proof Research barreled upper and in a LaRue Upper I had.  Next would be the 6mm ARC with Proof barrel.  Not quite as accurate and the velocities were disappointing but overall not bad.  

Kind of wish I had kept the Grendel.  I'm also interested in the 22 ARC but hesitate to be an early adopter.   I'm wondering how it will shoot the 90 gr SMK since I've got a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#10]
What was changed with the reamer revision? Throat?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top