User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The issue will not be with the steel case ammo, It will be with the chamber in the rifle. The Grendel is now a SAAMI cartridge or will be very soon. And I must assume that the Wolf ammo is designed to match this chamber.

BUT, the Grendel is a 10 year + cartridge design and has changed several times. in the last three years Factory produced ammunition was found to be too long for some of the chambers. This required a modification to the individual chamber. Prople threw blame at every side but actually it was just the maturation of the cartridge.

Things get better with time and we just have  to deal with it.

The first production run of the 6.5 had a straight throat and was designed for a single weight hand loaded ammo.

Things change.

If something does not work don't look for someone to blame...Go Fix it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The issue will not be with the steel case ammo, It will be with the chamber in the rifle. The Grendel is now a SAAMI cartridge or will be very soon. And I must assume that the Wolf ammo is designed to match this chamber.

BUT, the Grendel is a 10 year + cartridge design and has changed several times. in the last three years Factory produced ammunition was found to be too long for some of the chambers. This required a modification to the individual chamber. Prople threw blame at every side but actually it was just the maturation of the cartridge.

The first production run of the 6.5 had a straight throat and was designed for a single weight hand loaded ammo.

Things change.

Grendel has been SAAMI for a while now.

Grendel chamber has not changed at all.  The Grendel chamber that was introduced by AA is the same today as it was then.  Several other people not associated officially with the Grendel have made their own chambers, and call them 6.5 this or that, many with the intent of being able to run factory Grendel ammo, and many have been found lacking, especially when they start making the neck dimensions tighter...to make theirs more "accurate".  Crazy thing is that AA allowed use of the Grendel chamber/reamer pattern all along FOR FREE, as long as barrel-makers promised to hold to that standard so we wouldn't have these problems.  

Yes, the Tula ammo marketed by Wolf is meant to run, tested in, and labeled 6.5 Grendel.  I doubt it will run in tighter necked chambers, let alone feed in many of them.

AA tested all these chamber designs, and settled on one.  What we have now is shop after shop re-testing or adopting lesser chamber designs for some unknown and irrational reason, then calling them "better", or we're "doing it right this time", and the customer gets screwed.  It makes no sense at all, especially since Grendel is SAAMI approved, and no licensing is needed.  Simply crazy.

Just make Grendel chambered barrels, and keep the standard so customers don't have to worry about it.  How hard is that?

Link Posted: 2/19/2012 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The above post is spot on!  A little knowledge based in FACT goes a long way.  It's amazing how much unfounded hearsay is accepted as truth about this cartridge.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things change.

Grendel has been SAAMI for a while now.

Grendel chamber has not changed at all.  The Grendel chamber that was introduced by AA is the same today as it was then.  Several other people not associated officially with the Grendel have made their own chambers, and call them 6.5 this or that, many with the intent of being able to run factory Grendel ammo, and many have been found lacking, especially when they start making the neck dimensions tighter...to make theirs more "accurate".  Crazy thing is that AA allowed use of the Grendel chamber/reamer pattern all along FOR FREE, as long as barrel-makers promised to hold to that standard so we wouldn't have these problems.  

Yes, the Tula ammo marketed by Wolf is meant to run, tested in, and labeled 6.5 Grendel. I doubt it will run in tighter necked chambers, let alone feed in many of them.

AA tested all these chamber designs, and settled on one.  What we have now is shop after shop re-testing or adopting lesser chamber designs for some unknown and irrational reason, then calling them "better", or we're "doing it right this time", and the customer gets screwed.  It makes no sense at all, especially since Grendel is SAAMI approved, and no licensing is needed.  Simply crazy.

Just make Grendel chambered barrels, and keep the standard so customers don't have to worry about it.  How hard is that?

http://tulammousa.com/news/  (scroll to the Shot Show section.)
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:34:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 2:56:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Grendel ammunition is being manufactured by Barhaul. The initial batches that Wolf has imported have worked exceedingly well and we are now finalizing the production configuration. Our part in the program has been to supply test rifles and to conduct the trials in the US.

Grendel has been a SAAMI configuration for some time now and the chamber was set from the initial layout to operate with steel case ammunition. The case taper and shoulder work together to contain the plastic stretch of the case even under proof load pressures. The open neck allows for a variance of the coating thickness that builds up at the very edge of the case neck. The design works well in this consideration but is then also able to be consistently accurate. During trials we produced loads that would shoot less the 1/2 MOA from lacquer coated cases.

So I come to you for a refund when the steel cased stuff doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA in my rifle right?  

I'm glad that the steel cased ammo is going to be made by Barnaul.  They've always had better ammo than whoever Wolf had make their previous stuff.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Grendel ammunition is being manufactured by Barhaul. The initial batches that Wolf has imported have worked exceedingly well and we are now finalizing the production configuration. Our part in the program has been to supply test rifles and to conduct the trials in the US.

Grendel has been a SAAMI configuration for some time now and the chamber was set from the initial layout to operate with steel case ammunition. The case taper and shoulder work together to contain the plastic stretch of the case even under proof load pressures. The open neck allows for a variance of the coating thickness that builds up at the very edge of the case neck. The design works well in this consideration but is then also able to be consistently accurate. During trials we produced loads that would shoot less the 1/2 MOA from lacquer coated cases.

From the man himself.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I come to you for a refund when the steel cased stuff doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA in my rifle right?  

I'm glad that the steel cased ammo is going to be made by Barnaul.  They've always had better ammo than whoever Wolf had make their previous stuff.

I don't know about that, the PRVI brass Grendel MPT round is a pretty doggone good round for the price!

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm all for cheap ammo but if it won't run in a 264 chamber, it isn't going to be a deal killer for me. I've never ran lacquer coated ammo in my ARs and don't plan to. Lacquer ammo is for AKs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm all for cheap ammo but if it won't run in a 264 chamber, it isn't going to be a deal killer for me. I've never ran lacquer coated ammo in my ARs and don't plan to. Lacquer ammo is for AKs.

Don't let the cat out of the bag to my AR's.  They eat the stuff like it's candy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about that, the PRVI brass Grendel MPT round is a pretty doggone good round for the price!

Sorry I should have specified.  I was talking about Wolf's older steel-cased ammo (.223 and 7.62x39, .45acp etc.)  I've had issues with it being underpowered before, but never with barnaul.

The Wolf Gold line (privi) has been good to go in my experience, across all calibers I've shot.   Save for 1 or 2 fliers in a 10-shot group the 120 MPT is about 1MOA in my rifle.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top