User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
OlGunner,
Thank you for your excellent photos and comments. The spacing on yours is correct. Another thing to look for is chrome plating over the notches. Some people have machined the notches into chrome slabside carriers and sold them as originals. If you look at the notches carefully you can see if they were cut in after chroming. The notches should also be chrome plated. Thanks again. -W
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
On another note about his 604 ad - I thought all the original 604 uppers had the notch under the ejection port to line up with the mag well on the lower receiver. Is that not the case? His ad shows his has no notch (like those found on the 606 upper?).
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On another note about his 604 ad - I thought all the original 604 uppers had the notch under the ejection port to line up with the mag well on the lower receiver. Is that not the case? His ad shows his has no notch (like those found on the 606 upper?).
View Quote

Only the early ones, that's a very late upper from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

His prices aren't the problem, sure he's way high on them but it's a free market. He can ask whatever he wants for his property.

The problem is that he is representing something totally different than what he actually has in a number of ads. Whether intentionally misleading  or not is up for debate but as many people that have contacted him, I'm going with he knows what he is doing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does he maintain a %100 positive rating with over 100 transactions?
I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I ask because I am genuinely curious.

You can't go up from perfect, only down....the only way the number would change is a negative feedback. In that case it's simple math, you have 20 feedback 19 positive and 1 negative which gives you 95%.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that, and I see the point in this thread too. He is way out there on his prices, or at least as far as I'm concerned anyway.
But I did take some time and looked at his feedback posts, and everyone seems to be satisfied.
For whatever reason, I just don't get it. And I'll leave it at that.

His prices aren't the problem, sure he's way high on them but it's a free market. He can ask whatever he wants for his property.

The problem is that he is representing something totally different than what he actually has in a number of ads. Whether intentionally misleading  or not is up for debate but as many people that have contacted him, I'm going with he knows what he is doing.

Yeah, and then there's that small detail. I'm with ya. Apparently I wasn't covering that aspect in my comments, but I am following along. I promise.
And like I said, I'm in no way trying to defend the guy, and I agree with everyone in this thread, (that's why I keep coming back and checking it), but whenever I go to the EE and look at whatever, one of the first things I look at is the sellers feedback rating.
And his is pretty good. I can see where one could easily fall prey to these deals if they're not paying attention.
Threads like this could open some peoples eyes, if only they read them. And it's great that all you guys are posting info and pics to detail the differences between what is and what isn't the real deal.
I have been doing the AR thing for a long time, but I admit I know very little about the true retro stuff. I hang out in this section more than any other, and I'm learning a lot!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's a new BCG... Young manufacturing maybe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do we have here #2 Ok, so I'm browsing the used parts ads and I see this. Colt M16E1 Chrome plated BCG. Does anyone notice anything unusual about the item for sale? You can do a little research Here M16 Identification guide The carrier doesn't look right to me. Adding the flat head firing pin is a nice touch. The double staking is a nice touch too. Does anyone have any idea what we are actually looking at? My opinion is I don't know exactly what it is. The step on the carrier behind the firing pin retainer hole was first used in about 1995, so I know it's not a Genuine Colt original M16E1 BCG. Colt only made chrome carriers with forward assist notches for 1 year, 1964. There are no others that I know of. So, what is it?

ETA: This is the same seller that had the first what do we have here? Ad.

That's a new BCG... Young manufacturing maybe?

Not a YM...

http://youngmanufacturing.net/bolts-and-carriers/carriers/complete/ym-standard-bolt-carrier-complete-chrome-or-phosphate.html

All the Young Manufacturing carriers seem to be missing the front two forward assist notches. The carrier in question has the notches all the way to the "cutout" as it should be.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't go up from perfect, only down....the only way the number would change is a negative feedback. In that case it's simple math, you have 20 feedback 19 positive and 1 negative which gives you 95%.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that, and I see the point in this thread too. He is way out there on his prices, or at least as far as I'm concerned anyway.
But I did take some time and looked at his feedback posts, and everyone seems to be satisfied.

........and as someone who stated in this thread about free market, blah blah blah and he has to know it isn't what he claims it is to be fraudulent, I'm starting to believe it has to be fraud if he's being told otherwise about his items..............and if that's the case, which would seem to be so, than the mods need to lower the hammer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

........and as someone who stated in this thread about free market, blah blah blah and he has to know it isn't what he claims it is to be fraudulent, I'm starting to believe it has to be fraud if he's being told otherwise about his items..............and if that's the case, which would seem to be so, than the mods need to lower the hammer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must've missed that one.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]

I've been seeing these KAC carbine rails (like the ones shown in the link^^) for sell on the cheap side at the last few gunshows I've been to. I'm not really in to them but in the back of my mind I keep wondering if in twenty years I'll be kicking myself for not picking a few up. You know..like the Sten parts kits and L1A1/FAL kits...and those nice Remington Rand 1911's returned from overseas twenty some odd years ago.

ETA: I apologize for getting off course.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've been seeing these KAC carbine rails (like the ones shown in the link^^) for sell on the cheap side at the last few gunshows I've been to. I'm not really in to them but in the back of my mind I keep wondering if in twenty years I'll be kicking myself for not picking a few up. You know..like the Sten parts kits and L1A1/FAL kits...and those nice Remington Rand 1911's returned from overseas twenty some odd years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll apologize ahead of time for continuing that.

If you wanted to make a few dollars I might know a guy that would buy one for a little more than on the cheap side.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like he found his sucker on the receiver. Hopefully he was able to talk him down on price a bit.

Buyer's first post, Feb. 2015 join date.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Did someone really buy that?

I don't think I would call that one a holy grail. Maybe my standards are a little higher.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top