BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Can I get more info on which Aimpoint sight you are using. I am a newbie and am looking at a Bushmaster A3 AK.  I am considering a aimpoint compML2.  Does the ARMS #40 flip up work with the Aimpoint???
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got my RX06(12.9MOA Triangle)and yes, it does "wash out" some but the good news, the Polorizing filter helps bring it back a bunch.  Now to just find a Kill Flash that'll fit the Filter and I'll be in business.
 Oh, did I mention that I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BATTERIES.LOL
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
got my tripower a month ago end of arguments has arrived.  reflex+aimpoint = tripower.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been checking out the Reflex II with and without the Polarizing filter, I think I'll run it with just the KillFlash that came with the unit, it seems to work ok. I guess in really bright sunlight the filter might come in handy but around here where it's cloudy most of the time or where you'll be hunting in the woods the Reflex should work find without the filter. I still think this is a neat unit for anyone that wants a "dot" style sight but doesn't want the hassle of having to have electronics or batteries.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The sight picture offered by the Reflex is just too damned small for any sort of rapid aquisition.  It also gives you the feeling that you're looking through a small rifle scope rather than an "open" dot sight.  

A dot sight should give you enough eye relief that you shouldn't have to close an eye or squint or place your eye very close to the sight to get a good sight picture.  I have found with the Reflex that you have to keep a close hold on where you keep your face in relation to the weapon while maintaining a sight picture.  With only a minimum of exposure to a good red-dot sight you should be able to tune out the tube (or frame in some cases) of the scope entirely, allowing you to focus on your engagement area and possible targets.

Other sights provide enough eye relief where you can see the ground with your peripheral vision while walking or jogging... and maintain a good sight picture.  It takes practice of course, but at least it's attainable with practice.

Like I said before, it's just too small.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 I wonder how many people have actually experienced these problems as opposed to parroting what theyve heard somewhere.

I just bought a DPMS M4gery and mounted a Reflex on it.  It has the 12.5MOA triangle sight.

My first trip to the range with it was an indoor 25m pistol range.  I was using a Ciener .22LR conversion kit.

At this range, where the shooter stands is relatively bright, while the target area is relatively dark.  However, at the very far end of the range,  there are lights set up, which I believe may be brighter than what is above the shooting stalls.

If I sent the target all the way to the full 25m so that the target was in the light, I simply could not see the triangle at all.  It just washed out.  I had to bring the target in a few meters so that it was in darkness.  In this case, the sight worked great.

So, yes, I have experienced the washout.. on my first shooting trip too :(
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I have done most of my shooting with the Reflex under real conditions, outdoors and some indoor/ CQB settings. Never had a problem there. I have had several problems with battery failure with other sights. Make your own decision.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]
To expand on this, anyone who has some hours behind these sights will guarantee you that at some point you will:
             1- Forget to turn it on before you need it.
             2- Leave the dust covers on -  and this can happen with any optical sight.
             3-Forget to turn it off and kill the battery.
             4-Have it at a low night setting, and as it gets lighter forget to periodically dial up your reticle brightness. And now your electronic sight will be "washed out".
             5-Have your batts die due to cold temps (obviously not a problem with you tropics dwellers)
             6-Get a bad battery that corrodes in and trashes you sight.

Not to say that you cannot have a problem with a Reflex or other Tritium/ fiber optic sight. I'm just sharing some experience. Balance your situation and gear and make your determination.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
It's just too easy to flip up my BUIS to worry much about my Reflex II washing out.  In most shooting situations it works fine, if it does wash out or you think you may be in a situation where it might wash out flip up the irons. With my Reflex I don't have to worry about batteries or electronics and that a very good thing in my book.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Sure it is.  The tritium isn't anywhere near powerful enough to light the reticule in the daytime.  It relies on the fiber optic light collector grid on the front of the optic, and if little light is hitting those collectors, then the reticule will be washed out.

Also, a NEW tritium vial will always be nice and bright at night, but over time, the light will fade as the tritium breaks down (12.5 year half-life).  And, again, if you're around any bright lights, especially sodium lights, your reticule goes away.

-Troy

Not true... the new REFLEX II are very bright. Shot mine yesterday in bright sunlight against a blue silouette target. Had no problems whatsoever. Also, the comment made about looking through the glass is the wrong way to use the sight. You should user both eyes open and concentrate on the target and not the sight. That what make for extremely fast target acquisition. There is an article in the Months SWAT mag, about EOtech being suseptible to breakage.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#11]
So all this talk about the drawbacks of the Reflex got me all paranoid about whether or not mine was the right sight for my needs. I did the only logical thing, I panicked ! Then, I broke out the manual, re-read it, and spent a little time with the sight.

Here is what I learned...

USE THE POLARIZING FILTER! If you don't have one, get one. Without the filter, there is washout under many circumstances. With the filter on, I could not find a situation where the triangle was not clearly visible. I took it to work and tried it in a dark bar, with the lights all the way up, from the back door to the parking lot, from the parking lot to the back door, around by the dumpster with lights all around, under the "Monkeymobile's" headlights, moonlight, starlight, in the bathroom with the lights out. Then in the bright, high desert sun, twilight, sunrise, in the woods, the hallway, the bedroom looking out.
The filter adjusts to almost total darkness, which makes it function in the same manner as the old Armson OEG. If the lighting conditions change, it's a simple matter to crank the filter over and adjust it to the desired setting (just as an AImpoint/EOtech user would adjust the brightness level). For me the independence from battery power makes this sight worth it.
For my needs, where I live, under the conditions I would use my rifle, the Reflex is just right.
If you already have one, don't panic. If you are looking to get one, don't discount it because of the stuff you have read on this thread. I have not experienced the windage problem mentioned here, but that is the first I ever heard of it.
Obviously no one sight is gonna meet every shooter's need, and many of us can't afford the chase the perfect sight every time something new comes along, so I appreciate what this thread was trying to accomplish, but I just don't see that the reflex is a poor choice. (especially for me).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here is what I learned...

USE THE POLARIZING FILTER! ...
The filter adjusts to almost total darkness, which makes it function in the same manner as the old Armson OEG.

This will address the washout issue; but understand that your zero will change because when you originally sighted it in, you were looking THROUGH the lens and now you are combining binocular vision to superimpose the reticle over the target. Depending on your degree of phoria, the cant of your head and how far apart your eyes are, you will have a different point of impact from your zero that will limit usage to probably less than 50yds.

If you are looking to get one, don't discount it because of the stuff you have read on this thread.

A new Reflex without mount retails for $340. For the same price, you could have an Aimpoint or an EOtech with mount. Both sights are superior to the Reflex in a number of ways. Unless you can get a significant discount on a Reflex, I would really have to advise against buying a new one.

If you already have one, then I wouldn't despair. It is a good sight; just not the best one out there anymore. It has its flaws but most of them can be managed. It is good news for all of us, that optics like this that were cutting edge only four years ago have now been replaced by even better optics. It shows the manufacturers are innovating and we can continue to expect progress and better tools.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]

... but understand that your zero will change because when you originally sighted it in, you were looking THROUGH the lens and now you are combining binocular vision to superimpose the reticle over the target. Depending on your degree of phoria, the cant of your head and how far apart your eyes are, you will have a different point of impact from your zero that will limit usage to probably less than 50yds.

BR, wouldn't you agree that any sight or optical aiming device on an AR type firearm should be used with both eyes open in a "combat" environment(real or simulated), and therefore should be zeroed that way as well?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
To expand on this, anyone who has some hours behind these sights will guarantee you that at some point you will:
             1- Forget to turn it on before you need it.
             2- Leave the dust covers on -  and this can happen with any optical sight.
             3-Forget to turn it off and kill the battery.
             4-Have it at a low night setting, and as it gets lighter forget to periodically dial up your reticle brightness. And now your electronic sight will be "washed out".
             5-Have your batts die due to cold temps (obviously not a problem with you tropics dwellers)
             6-Get a bad battery that corrodes in and trashes you sight.

Not to say that you cannot have a problem with a Reflex or other Tritium/ fiber optic sight. I'm just sharing some experience. Balance your situation and gear and make your determination.

Gotta agree with all these points.

While I have some battery powered optics, my Reflex II and my compact ACOG are on my grab-n-go rifles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
BR, wouldn't you agree that any sight or optical aiming device on an AR type firearm should be used with both eyes open in a "combat" environment(real or simulated), and therefore should be zeroed that way as well?  

MAINEiac,

Let me start by explaining some basic concepts. Human beings have a dominant and weak eye just like most human beings are right or left handed. To examine this concept, simply point your finger at a doorknob or other target with both eyes open. Now close your weak eye (usually the left for most people) - the finger will still be pointing at the target because even though you have both eyes open, the brain primarily uses the view from your dominant eye.

Now close your dominant eye. You will notice that your finger has shifted and appears to be pointing at something else. If you move your finger back onto your target and open your dominant eye, it will jump again.

This same thing happens when you zero any kind of traditional optic that you look through. So regardless of whether you keep your weak eye open or closed, your brain still uses the dominant eye's view. This means that when you establish zero, it is established from the perspective of the dominant eye.

On an occluded eye gunsight (OEG), the dominant eye cannot see the target. The reason this still works is that the weak eye CAN see the target. Because the dominant eye can see a bright contrasting reticle and the brain wants to use the image, it superimposes the dot over the view of the target from the weak eye. Unfortunately, unless the gun was sighted in as an OEG this also means that the point of impact will shift just like your finger did in the above experiment.

Now let's say you decide to prepare for this by zeroing the gun as an OEG. Unfortunately, this is like moving your finger back onto target and then opening your dominant eye. The point of impact will shift again as soon as your dominant eye can see through the sight to the target because the brain will no longer bother to superimpose the reticle over the weak eye view.

So regardless of how you zero your Reflex, you will still see a point of impact shift when you turn the polarizing filter black and use it as an OEG. You will also see the same shift if you close the cover on an Aimpoint and use it as an OEG. It is just basic physics and human physiology.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a little experience with these sights.  I had a Meprolight with a polarizing filter. While I was deployed to the PG I had my wife ship it to me. As I had suspected, it had serious washout issues, even with the polarizing filter. I would NEVER use it for serious work.

My experience with the Trijicon was almost the opposite. The USCG LEDET onboard had these on their shotguns. Very large dot, but it wouldn't washout nearly as easily. I even pointed it, intentionally, at very bright backgrounds. I'm still on the fence about whatever version they were using. I'd definitely have to fondle it more before deciding.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#18]
After messing around with my Trijicon Reflex II on my "no ban" AR I've figured out a very simple way to get around the "wash out" effect of looking into a bright area from a dim area, smiply use the black background of the front sight to view your "dot" on.  By doing this you'll always have a nice, dark area to see the "dot" against, Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
What about using the polarizing filter to enhance the triangle? Just rotate until you reach your ideal.  If Reflex is used correctly,  both eyes open, target can be seen and triangle is not near as light as pictured below.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Go back to the Aimpoint CompM2, This sight comes with 10,000 hours of battery life. Change the battery once a year If you leave it on full time. You can also easily control the brightness of the dot...

Out at the range a week ago my Comp battery died.  It was the battery that came with it when I bought it about 5 years ago!

Of course I'm just a civy and don't have it on 24/7.

I am interested in the Tri-power because of the triangle or chevron reticle.  I wish the aimpoint had either!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Now if someone would just make a blue triangle for us color blind people, that would be cool.
Any color blind members have an easier time with the amber triangle as I'm considering a reflex for that reason.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I own both the ML2 and an older reflex.
I just had the Reflex rebuilt by Trijicon (warantee work) and its nice and bright, however the reticle does wash out in certain conditions.  If I'm in the tree line shooting at targets that are in sunlight my reticle gets dim and is harder to pick up.  Looking out the window of a dimly lit room the reticle is way to slow to pick up if my life depended on it.  I'd be thumbing for BUIS everytime.

The ML2 is great.  The ONLY weak point is the on/off knob.  That on/off knob WILL break off it hit.  Besides that the ML2 is solid as a rock.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone else gotten a new Reflex lately that is black as opposed to grey?  An order just came in for a PD that had eleven RX06-14 and they were matte black just like my ACOGS.  No other differences, only the matte lback anodizing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Just got my RX06(12.9MOA Triangle)and yes, it does "wash out" some but the good news, the Polorizing filter helps bring it back a bunch. Now to just find a Kill Flash that'll fit the Filter and I'll be in business.
Oh, did I mention that I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BATTERIES.LOL

I, just a minute ago, bought the same one.  My Tripower never washed out in reflex mode, so i am sure, this guy won't.  present tests confirm such, and no batteries needed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2005 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The sight picture offered by the Reflex is just too damned small for any sort of rapid aquisition.  It also gives you the feeling that you're looking through a small rifle scope rather than an "open" dot sight.  

You aren't using it correctly.

The Reflex is used with both eyes open - you have your ENTIRE field of view, just as if you didn't have an optic at all.

A dot sight should give you enough eye relief that you shouldn't have to close an eye or squint or place your eye very close to the sight to get a good sight picture.  I have found with the Reflex that you have to keep a close hold on where you keep your face in relation to the weapon while maintaining a sight picture.

Again, how are you using this?   A Reflex DOESN'T HAVE eye relief.  Check out how far forward mine is mounted.   How much more eye relief would you want?  :

Link Posted: 2/28/2005 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#26]
The reflex works great for me and is my favorite site.  I've got a Ta-31f, an aimpoint, a eo tech and a Tasco propoint.

I've never had the "washout" problem that others have experienced.  Maybe I have different eyes or something.  I've been out shooting and loaned my buddy my AR and he was complaining about the washout under the same conditions that I wasn't having a problem with.

As for a taclight washing out your dot?  Yeah, it dims it, but that's why I have a surefire 676 with the light inline with my barrel.  At close range where my light goes, my bullets hit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 4:24:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Both of the Reflexes I have work well for me. I like the larger reticle (12.5moa) chevron and triangle because they are easier to pick up.

I've never NOT been able to hit with these in just about any light you can imagine. Are they perfect? No,.... If I had my druthers, I'd find a better way to make the polarizing filter. The first one I had came apart in my fingers as I screwed it on for the first time... and, the filter doesn't hold it's position very well. The whole O-Ring thing is CheeseDick to me. Oh, and if you torque the AR15 carry handle mount all the way the little stud will eventually fail and fall off.

Other than that, they rock. I actually prefer to shoot without the polarizing filter on most of the time.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Good thing I have more time than money, if I didn't I'd buy everything.  After much debate with my gun buddies for the best x1 optic for a home defense carbine, I'm going with the Reflex.  I have trijicon sights on my handguns, and an ACOG (TA-50-2) on my M4.  Trijicon's products are first rate.  I like the idea of one kind of redicle in multiple scopes/sights, (i'm planning AR #3--a bushmaster A4 type rifle with a full size ACOG on the rail)  3 rifles 1 redicle, not bad in my book.  I'm still going to mount a flip up rear sight on the rifle, the versitility of being able to also use the iron sights is the #1 reason for the flip up sight.

Great input guys.  It's great when a guy that doesn't have the time or the job to use AR stuff everyday gets to read what the pro's think.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top