User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 52
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Which SLR rail did you try it with. I was under impression the sentry 9 clamp on would work under their 308 rails.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace my gas block soon.  When I built my 6.5 the only adjustable block I could put my hands on was the JP, but it has a simple adjustment screw that seems to move on it's own.  Any favorite .936" adjustable gas blocks?  I'm going to hit mine with some green loctite and see how long it lasts, but I'd really like a steel one anyway.

SLR

you have to be careful with ID of rails on .936 the sentry 9 set screw will work with the SLR rails I like but the clamp on will not.  That sucked because I had the clamp on originally for my JP barrel and had to get a different one.

Which SLR rail did you try it with. I was under impression the sentry 9 clamp on would work under their 308 rails.

I guess I am mistaken according to what todd had said I had issues with fit on mine and went to set screw anyway.  This is from a private message.  I think it is generally rude to share PM's but I am sure slr and company would like the information out.  This was asked before I had seen anything on the new 308 rails and before they were available.  The part about the rail working as a jumper is true and could be an issue for someone using a one piece mount that they wanted to bridge or jump between upper and rail.
my question
"I have a 6.5 creedmoor built on a mega set. I am using one of your .936 clamp on adjustable and am wondering if any of your rails can fit over it or if you have anything on the back burner coming up. I have a lancer rail on it which is complete garbage. I am generally a fan of the work they do but this is just not the fore end for me. I basically want something in the 15 inch range in length that can clear the .936. I need a top rail for clip on night vision. Please tell me you are making something like that or can make one for me and let me show off your work. I have been very impressed with the gas blocks thus far."

his response
"AR15 Solo's Our Sentry 9 set screw will work. Its very tight though. The Clamp on 9 will not work.The clamp bolts will hit the sides of the HG.

AR10 platform our 7.62 Solo's are larger ID so no problem with the 9C's.

Are you jumping the Rec/HG with one optic mount ? I say this as some of our older 15" HG's are not continuous in the picatinny. Most don't jump them that way.

We did make them continuous a while back but I'm not sure all versions are run through yet. We have like 45 versions of the Solo.

Give a call if you need anything

Todd"
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I guess I am mistaken according to what todd had said I had issues with fit on mine and went to set screw anyway.  This is from a private message.  I think it is generally rude to share PM's but I am sure slr and company would like the information out.  This was asked before I had seen anything on the new 308 rails and before they were available.  The part about the rail working as a jumper is true and could be an issue for someone using a one piece mount that they wanted to bridge or jump between upper and rail.
my question
"I have a 6.5 creedmoor built on a mega set. I am using one of your .936 clamp on adjustable and am wondering if any of your rails can fit over it or if you have anything on the back burner coming up. I have a lancer rail on it which is complete garbage. I am generally a fan of the work they do but this is just not the fore end for me. I basically want something in the 15 inch range in length that can clear the .936. I need a top rail for clip on night vision. Please tell me you are making something like that or can make one for me and let me show off your work. I have been very impressed with the gas blocks thus far."

his response
"AR15 Solo's Our Sentry 9 set screw will work. Its very tight though. The Clamp on 9 will not work.The clamp bolts will hit the sides of the HG.

Are you jumping the Rec/HG with one optic mount ? I say this as some of our older 15" HG's are not continuous in the picatinny. Most don't jump them that way.

We did make them continuous a while back but I'm not sure all versions are run through yet. We have like 45 versions of the Solo.

Todd"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace my gas block soon.  When I built my 6.5 the only adjustable block I could put my hands on was the JP, but it has a simple adjustment screw that seems to move on it's own.  Any favorite .936" adjustable gas blocks?  I'm going to hit mine with some green loctite and see how long it lasts, but I'd really like a steel one anyway.

SLR

you have to be careful with ID of rails on .936 the sentry 9 set screw will work with the SLR rails I like but the clamp on will not.  That sucked because I had the clamp on originally for my JP barrel and had to get a different one.

my question

his response

Todd"

Gotcha. Yeah I emailed with Todd the other week to make sure (he said the 308 rails would work as mentioned above in your PM) as I want to use their 15" 308 lite rail and sentry 9 gas block on my 6.5 build. How do you like the 22" JP barrel?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Gotcha. Yeah I emailed with Todd the other week to make sure (he said the 308 rails would work as mentioned above in your PM) as I want to use their 15" 308 lite rail and sentry 9 gas block on my 6.5 build. How do you like the 22" JP barrel?
View Quote

I switched to a 22 kreiger instead. The JP was ok I don't think I got quiet the accuracy I wanted.  The kreiger has be awesome.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is that the 24" Fulton Armory barrel? If so how do you like it? What length mkm rail is that? Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took the wife shooting today, it was her first time shooting my Creedmoor and her first time shooting longer distances than 100yds.  She did pretty well, it took her a long time to figure out how to see through a scope, but she made several hits at 545yds today.  Target was a railroad gusset plate, so about 8" x 14".  She shot the hell out of it with the AR prior to dragging out the big gun, but that was at about 20yds.  

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/SCW-Shooter/Guns/1737B579-7769-4623-8A8D-0942CB0275B7.jpg?1419482862020&1419482864507

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/SCW-Shooter/Guns/7425F5C4-3FC5-4FDA-87F5-61B79B0B4ABE.jpg?1419482862020&1419482864507

Is that the 24" Fulton Armory barrel? If so how do you like it? What length mkm rail is that? Thanks

Its the 22" Kreiger from FA. Nick also has that barrel and I think there were a few others, afaik that are all producing good results.  I get bored shooting at a 100yd range and rarely do it, but my longest shots were on balloons at 1300yds.  Most loads are between .6 and .75 moa.

Yes, I'm happy with it.  Rail is the megalithic extended,  overall it's over 17lbs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I figure I will show off my latest .308 build.  This is the third MATEN build I have done but first with the Megalithic receivers.  These seem awesome and they were a breeze for assembly.  Here are the specs and sorry about the crappy pictures, when it gets a little nicer out I'd like to take some pictures in natural light.

Mega MTS Receiver Set (12" Integral Keymod Rail)
16" Mega .308 Mid-Length Barrel
SLR Adjustable Gas Block
Surefire SFMB-762 Muzzle Brake
Shadow Ops Weaponry NiB BCG
Hiperfire Hipertouch 24E Trigger
BAD-ASS Ambi Safety Selector
B5 SOPMOD Stock

Unsure on what optic I will run.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0869_zps5f1399d3.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0874_zps36753d0c.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0880_zpse64512df.jpg
View Quote

Do you by chance have a weight on this?  I'm starting a .308 build and have been looking at the MATEN Megalithic with a 16" barrel (basically your exact rifle).
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Can anybody fill me in on what the deal is with the circular cutouts in the pic. rail of the Maten receivers and hand guards? Is their a purpose/reason for those. I ask because the mount I use for my optics is a Bobro. And it uses an indexing lug to make sure the mount is secure. And it's supposed to press against the lug of the receiver. But with those circular cutouts, there's nothing to index against. And the mount probably wouldn't work as intended.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you by chance have a weight on this?  I'm starting a .308 build and have been looking at the MATEN Megalithic with a 16" barrel (basically your exact rifle).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I figure I will show off my latest .308 build.  This is the third MATEN build I have done but first with the Megalithic receivers.  These seem awesome and they were a breeze for assembly.  Here are the specs and sorry about the crappy pictures, when it gets a little nicer out I'd like to take some pictures in natural light.

SLR Adjustable Gas Block
B5 SOPMOD Stock

As it sits in the picture, the weight is 8.2 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Had the range all to myself today.  Main purpose for the visit was to function check a few guns after reassembly from being painted and to chrono some more hand loads for the 308.  I need to find a place to shoot farther than 100 yards.  I may just have to start making the trek to K&M Shooting Center.

100 yards off the bipod:

PPU 145 gr as a comparison (pretty much junk):
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#9]
What is everyone's thoughts on the Mega barrels? I am about to start on an AR10 build, and going with the MaTen receiver set, and was just thinking about going with the barrel too, since they are relatively decent cost, or sould i go with a Rainier?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

SLR Adjustable Gas Block
B5 SOPMOD Stock

View Quote

This is very close to what I think I am going to stat building.  How much does it weigh unloaded?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely love my new stuff from SLR. Can't wait to get out this afteroon and test it out.

SLR .308 by wareagle700, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is very close to what I think I am going to stat building.  How much does it weigh unloaded?

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SLR Adjustable Gas Block
B5 SOPMOD Stock

Thanks.

8.2 lbs unloaded.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

8.2 lbs unloaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SLR Adjustable Gas Block
B5 SOPMOD Stock

Thanks.

8.2 lbs unloaded.

That's not too bad.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#14]
And so it begins.

Just bought the Mega Arms MTS Maten set from Tier One Arms.  Figured I couldn't go wrong for $799 shipped.

http://www.tieronearms.com/MEGA-MKM-p/mtsambi.htm

It's going to take me a little while to get this together but the goal will be to get it complete by the time my son is born (late April).  

I will post pics as it progresses.

Thanks for all the useful info in this thread.  It has given me a lot to think about.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is everyone's thoughts on the Mega barrels? I am about to start on an AR10 build, and going with the MaTen receiver set, and was just thinking about going with the barrel too, since they are relatively decent cost, or sould i go with a Rainier?
View Quote

Would like to hear some feedback on this as well?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Starting to plan my build.  Thinking about the JP Low Mass carrier.  Can I just swap it for a regular dpms carrier or do I have to get a special buffer or spring too?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can I just swap it for a regular dpms carrier
View Quote

Yes, but if I were you I would be putting a JP bolt in a DPMS carrier. The JP carrier isn't going to do anything magical for you but the enhanced extractor and bolt is a nice upgrade from the DPMS.

The JP LMOS will work fine with standard buffers, you just need to an adjustable gas block for optimal results.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Is the JP low mass carrier worth it?  Or should I not worry about it?

I was thinking of getting the Rainier 308 bcg that way they can headspace it to the Rainier Match 18" barrel I would get.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is the JP low mass carrier worth it?  Or should I not worry about it?

I was thinking of getting the Rainier 308 bcg that way they can headspace it to the Rainier Match 18" barrel I would get.
View Quote

Meh, its nice and very well finished but honestly doesn't do anything special. The reason I bought it was to have a known quality part. JP has a full mass .308 carrier in the works, when its out I will probably pick one up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I am having an issue with my MaTen build. The bolt catch is not functioning. I figured out the issue...The buffer assembly (rifle length assembly from PSA LINK) does not allow the bolt to travel far enough to the rear for the catch to work.

Shouldn't this assembly work for the MaTen?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am having an issue with my MaTen build. The bolt catch is not functioning. I figured out the issue...The buffer assembly (rifle length assembly from PSA LINK) does not allow the bolt to travel far enough to the rear for the catch to work.

View Quote

AR-15 buffers do not work on .308 ARs.This, this, or this are all good to go on the MATEN.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

AR-15 buffers do not work on .308 ARs.This, this, or this are all good to go on the MATEN.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that explains it. Thanks for the clarification. Should I only need to change the buffer? The spring and tube I have are g2g?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I guess that explains it. Thanks for the clarification. Should I only need to change the buffer? The spring and tube I have are g2g?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There "shouldn't" be problem, but the .308 AR spring is different. I've successfully used an AR-15 spring in my rifle, but I officially recommend using a .308 AR spring, as it's the correct length and rate.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll try it and if I have issues I know what to try next. Thanks for steering me in the correct direction.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#25]
My Maten build is finally moving.  I have the lower complete with a PRS stock and KAC trigger, and just ordered a Black Hole Weaponry 260 barrel.  I already have a JP HP bolt but need a bolt carrier.  I'm big on getting the best bang for my buck, so I'm looking for a quality bolt carrier that won't break the bank.  I don't really care what the finish is on the carrier.  There's a lot more BCG builders out there than a year or two ago, and I don't want a substandard one.  

So far, the best bang for the buck I can find is the Nemo Arms carrier, which sounds like it's a quality build and is only $110.  Does anyone have any mileage on it?  Or is there a better option for the money?

Nemo Arms carrier
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Just FYI.  Mega Arms says their upper receiver barrel extension bore is: "We hold our front bore 1.875."

The heat gun trick works like a charm.  I heated the bore end of the upper until I could just barely hold the other end and it slipped right on my barrel that would not even start to enter the bore previously.  I put the lithium grease on the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just FYI.  Mega Arms says their upper receiver barrel extension bore is: "We hold our front bore 1.875."

The heat gun trick works like a charm.  I heated the bore end of the upper until I could just barely hold the other end and it slipped right on my barrel that would not even start to enter the bore previously.  I put the lithium grease on the barrel extension.
View Quote

What brand of extension?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Tactical Ambush 16" 7.62x51NATO Barrel - Threaded Fluted - DPMS Pattern
sold by Primary Ar_s.  Tactical Ambush is in Orlando, FL.
Manufacturer: Tactical Ambush
Chamber: 7.62x51NATO
Contour: Crusader
Fluted: Yes
Barrel Length: 16"
Twist Rate: 1:10
Gas System: Mid-Length
Diameter at Gas Port: 0.750"
Thread Pitch: 5/8x24
Feed Ramps: M4
Material: 4150CMV
Finish: Black Nitride
Process: 6R Button Rifled
Barrel Lining: Black Nitride
Barrel Extension: M4
Assembly: Stripped
Weight: 37.4oz
Notes:
DPMS pattern
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I also used the Tactical Ambush DPMS 308 NIBX BCG.  Head space was perfect.  Really nice workmanship on the BCG.  Almost hate to hide it inside a rifle!  Gunsmith that checked the head space for me was also impressed with it.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Who's got the best price on a MATEN ambi set?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Haven't looked in awhile but jse surplus had good price.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

AIM Surplus had the best price at around $470 shipped. They are OOS at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

AIM Surplus had the best price at around $470 shipped. They are OOS at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they aren't.

Sadly, they claim it's not for sale in MD.....even though there's no MD law against them.  More ignorance and asinine behavior from resellers, giving the dicks in Annapolis even more than they wanted.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Forgot about aims. I couldn't get from there because they wouldn't ship to nj either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try $577+ shipped.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Try $577+ shipped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try $577+ shipped.

Check their industry page for coupn codes that will get you $470 shipped, you're welcome
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Check their industry page for coupn codes that will get you $470 shipped, you're welcome
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try $577+ shipped.

Well I'm shit outta luck, AIM does not ship to CA for no apparent reason other than "AIM company policy" . Looks like Rainier Arms is getting my business...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well I'm shit outta luck, AIM does not ship to CA for no apparent reason other than "AIM company policy" . Looks like Rainier Arms is getting my business...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try $577+ shipped.

Yea not really sure on that. I know they don't do NJ either, and most likely the other shit ban states.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Mine came yesterday

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try $577+ shipped.

Or try jse surplus Think 535.00 ambi was 550 shipped. Rainier with shipping was more. Jse was quick had it in two days.
Just got an email that adco is shipping my barrel back to me. Can't wait but won't be shooting in 20 degree weather
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Saaawwwhhheeeettt!!!!  Get ready to watch your wallet deflate!!!  ( It's worth it! )

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I asked Rainier and they said they will match prices.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got the gas block installed and pinned, and my QD can mount torqued down.  Gas tube should arrive tomorrow.

Still need a BCG and trigger (i know what i'm getting, just need to actually be employed to get them ) and it'll be up and running--gonna steal the SS10x/ADM combo off one of my 5.56 guns for the time being.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#44]
How in the blue-balled fuck do you remove the dust cover from an MKM upper?  there's no access hole for the pin at the front where the handguard attaches, and the rear one you can only press it "further in" until it bottoms.  (there's no screw that i'm assuming, given the threads, should be in there)

maybe it's time to just acknowledge i could use the money instead and part this fucking thing out on the EE.

ETA:  got the barrel uninstalled and upper/lower/hg stripped down.  parting out tomorrow once i can get pics up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#45]
another long time lurker. finally started building

First, I picked up the Ma-Ten MKM Extended rifle length upper w/ Ambi lower receivers

I picked up a DPMS Lower parts kit, but really only used 2 parts out of it.
I am also gonna try this Seekins Enhanced Bolt catch, I may try the Phase 5 extended bolt catch and throw this on my M4.
Also picked up a BAD ASS ambi safety. Quality work, pretty much best in industry for my money.

Got a Magpul PRS stock and a AccuShot monopod, along with the Magpul MIAD grip

Installed a Geissele SD-E trigger for obvious reasons

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Other parts (not seen or not installed/arrived yet):
Heavy CAR-10 buffer and spring from Slash@ heavybuffers.com
Surefire SFMB762 Muzzle Brake (waiting for barrel)
BAD Enhanced Mag release button - Blue, for shits and giggles
Rainier Arms Ultramatch 20" Fluted barrel - just ordered today
SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Clamp-on Adjustable Gas Block (having it pinned and just ordered today )
JP LMOS BCG with enhanced bolt - ordered today. I really was wanting to go with the Rainier Arms Ultramatch 308 BCG but they went out of stock before I could get my money today.  

Still to purchase:
Atlas bipod
Surefire SOCOM 762 RC
and an Optic
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#47]
DSG $548.00
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, the build is finally starting to move forward.

So far:

Mega MTS Upper and Lower
Geiselle SSA-E trigger
Magpul ACS stock
Ergo Grip
Bad-Ass Ambi Selector
Larue mount & cattail
Leupold Mark 4

All other parts on order from Rainer.  Should be done in a couple of weeks

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#49]
looks nice!
Did you pick up the BCG from them as well? i should have just ordered mine last week, but i wanted to wait till i had the money for the barrel as well. and now, i missed out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
looks nice!
Did you pick up the BCG from them as well? i should have just ordered mine last week, but i wanted to wait till i had the money for the barrel as well. and now, i missed out.
View Quote

Thanks.  I am very pleased and can't wait to get it complete.

I bought the following from Rainier:

Rainier 14.5 Ultra match barrel
Rainier Low Profile Match gas block and gas tube in black
Rainier Ultra match bcg w/ bolt headspacing to barrel
AAC Brakeout 2 (for my AAC SDN-6)

I am sending them the upper so they can pin and weld the brake and pin the gas block.
Page / 52
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top