Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I took my FieldSport R/G out one afternoon with bright sun and snow on the ground.  I thought the red and green were both very visible.  I tend to like the red best but I wanted to play with the green dot.  The dot is very crisp and manual say 4 MOA dot.  For $22 this sight really seems pretty good and well worth the money.  I'll probably leave mine on an AR-22 with a 1" high mount which gives lower 1/3 co-witness.  

The intensity is still very good on the low #1 setting on Red or Green in low light.   Looking into the muzzle end of the sight the red or green dot on low setting is barely visible at arms length.   With the dot set on #5 high the dot is very small from the front and I don't think it is visible enough to be tactical disadvantage.

The body of the FieldSport is metal and appears to be aluminum with no plastic.  If you handed me this sight two months I'd never believe you could by one for $22.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked one up with a UTG slim riser and threw it on my budget AR.  Its not the same quality as my Aimpoint T1 but it didnt cost anywhere close.

Only thing I dont like is the blue tint.  Its a little distracting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My battery cover fell down my heating vent :(

lol its gone...

WTF are the odds. If anyone wants a spare red dot incase theirs shits the bed, let me know.

Just cover the shipping.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe Fieldsport would send you a cover.  They must get a few back that don't function.  Send them a message on Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know if this is the same RDS, just under a different name?  I know it's subjective but, from the customer photos, the glass on this one seems to have less of a tint than the FieldSport. Reviews and user reports seem to be comparable between the two.

Been wanting to pick up a cheap range optic for an AR pistol and this thread popped up at a great time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got the FieldSport Red/Green sight and I don't detect a blue tint when looking through the lense.  The front lense has a reflective coating when looking from the muzzle.  The sight you linked to appears to be a rebranded FieldSport red/green dot sight.  Packaging, features are the same, probably came from the same Chineese factory.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Why are some of you concerned about reflectivity or being able to see the dot from the muzzle end?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You know I bought one of the red/green and a utg .83 riser for my wife's range gun. I was surprised to see discussion of it here. for the $30 I am pretty impressed though we have not shot it yet. Good to hear some of you have and its held up.  Some times these cheap optics will surprise you, I bought an aimpoint clone 6-8 years ago from ebay for $40 that was recommended here at the time. Still running strong on one of my rifles, though it does have plastic pieces bouncing around in optic.

Anyway for a range gun it doesn't need to be military tough and even if I had to replace one every year its worth it. heck even with the optic she now has a sub $400 rifle.

Interesting to note you all are getting 1/3rd with the .83 riser,  This one sits right on top of the a2 front post using a magpul rear.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
They raised the price and now they are sold out.  It would be interesting to know how many have been sold.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Got out and shot the M92 with the Fieldsport today. It was nearly a foot high at 50yd when I zeroed it but it quickly got dialed in. After about 60 rounds the dot suddenly disappeared, and I noticed that the brightness selector was loose. Since I had read of a similar experience in one of the Amazon reviews, I knew what to check.

The small screws that internally secure the brightness control knob do not have any thread locker from the factory, so it's possible for them to back out. That is what happened to mine.

To remedy this, remove the battery cap, and remove the battery. Then grasp the internal battery ring with a small needle nose plier, and unscrew counter-clockwise while holding the brightness knob. The ring will screw out and will reveal the resistor plate. Pull the resistor plate up, and you can now see the set of screws attaching the knob and its base to the dot body.

The Amazon reviewer who had a similar experience said that he removed all the screws, put a dab of red thread locker on them, and reinstalled them, then has had no issue with the dot since. I will be performing the same "repair" which frankly should have been done at the factory, but hey it's a $20 dot.

I would say that if you purchase one of these, just plan on putting thread locker on the small screws before you even use it. I haven't had this problem with the one on my AR pistol but I'll be doing the same to it.

Here are some images of the loosened screws on the Fieldsport attached to my M92.

The one on my AR pistol has been riding under the back seat in my Explorer off and on for several months, has taken some spills as well - dropped it right onto the dot on the way through the garage door one night. No change in zero, no issues.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]
A couple notes on the previous post for anyone who has to do this.

On reassembly, note the following:

1. The four small screws retaining the tension plate (the small metal ring) should only be tightened until they stop turning, otherwise the brightness knob will be too tight.

2. When reinstalling the resistor plate, there is a marker on the battery side of the plate that indicates the setting for "0" (no contact). Orient the selector to "0" and then place the marker pointing towards "0"

3. When reinstalling the battery ring, it is keyed to the resistor plate so that both can be threaded on at the same time, otherwise it is difficult to keep the resistor plate set to "0" while you tighten the battery ring. You can see that the battery ring has two slots cut into it, and the resistor ring has a small keyway that aligns with the "0" setting. Install the battery ring, align the slot in the battery ring with the keyway at the "0" marker on the resistor ring, then insert a small jeweler's screwdriver to act as a key. Now you can tighten the battery ring with a small needle nose set, and stop once it is snug and your temporary key is aligned with the "0" mark on the brightness knob.

Your $20 (I guess $23) Fieldsport should now be a bit tougher. This takes 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I bought one. Should have it in a few days. Look forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got out and shot the M92 with the Fieldsport today. It was nearly a foot high at 50yd when I zeroed it but it quickly got dialed in. After about 60 rounds the dot suddenly disappeared, and I noticed that the brightness selector was loose. Since I had read of a similar experience in one of the Amazon reviews, I knew what to check.

The small screws that internally secure the brightness control knob do not have any thread locker from the factory, so it's possible for them to back out. That is what happened to mine.

To remedy this, remove the battery cap, and remove the battery. Then grasp the internal battery ring with a small needle nose plier, and unscrew counter-clockwise while holding the brightness knob. The ring will screw out and will reveal the resistor plate. Pull the resistor plate up, and you can now see the set of screws attaching the knob and its base to the dot body.

The Amazon reviewer who had a similar experience said that he removed all the screws, put a dab of red thread locker on them, and reinstalled them, then has had no issue with the dot since. I will be performing the same "repair" which frankly should have been done at the factory, but hey it's a $20 dot.

I would say that if you purchase one of these, just plan on putting thread locker on the small screws before you even use it. I haven't had this problem with the one on my AR pistol but I'll be doing the same to it.

Here are some images of the loosened screws on the Fieldsport attached to my M92.

http://i.imgur.com/rxUf8cw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/k7GKHVd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mxLQU2C.jpg

The one on my AR pistol has been riding under the back seat in my Explorer off and on for several months, has taken some spills as well - dropped it right onto the dot on the way through the garage door one night. No change in zero, no issues.

http://i.imgur.com/GE4sSQq.jpg
View Quote
This is a good start on the procedure to make the brightest setting on the red/green version brighter.  Just change the lowest value resistors on the brightness control circuit to a slightly lower value until you get a max brightness setting that works on a bright sunny day.  If you have both you could check the resistor values on the red only and go with that one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Just ordered one for a pellet gun that I need to dispatch of a pesky rodent.  What's the latest on how these things hold up on a platform less than a .22?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Update from the op. Just got second place from a rifle pistol match this weekend. Had my nice bcm rifle with this red dot on top. A guy asked about my setup and gave me the look when I said it's a $20 red dot
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
OST
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1. The four small screws retaining the tension plate (the small metal ring) should only be tightened until they stop turning, otherwise the brightness knob will be too tight.

2. When reinstalling the resistor plate, there is a marker on the battery side of the plate that indicates the setting for "0" (no contact). Orient the selector to "0" and then place the marker pointing towards "0"

3. When reinstalling the battery ring, it is keyed to the resistor plate so that both can be threaded on at the same time, otherwise it is difficult to keep the resistor plate set to "0" while you tighten the battery ring. You can see that the battery ring has two slots cut into it, and the resistor ring has a small keyway that aligns with the "0" setting. Install the battery ring, align the slot in the battery ring with the keyway at the "0" marker on the resistor ring, then insert a small jeweler's screwdriver to act as a key. Now you can tighten the battery ring with a small needle nose set, and stop once it is snug and your temporary key is aligned with the "0" mark on the brightness knob.

Your $20 (I guess $23) Fieldsport should now be a bit tougher. This takes 5 minutes.
View Quote
Based on the reviews here, I took a chance on the optic and bought one a few months ago.  Went full low-budget: mounted on a PSA Freedom carbine upper/Anderson lower and shooting mostly Wolf/Tula steel-case ammo.  

About 500 rounds later (including 250 rounds one day), it's still working.  I have noticed the brightness knob seems looser than before.  Is this an indication it's about to fail?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I got mine and mounted it using a utg high mount I had laying around on a flattop 16inch carbine. That mount gives 0 cowitness Zeroed within a few clicks at 100 yards. I had to use setting 10 to see the dot in bright daylight. Plan on getting a different riser and a 2nd dot for a 10/22. Might get one to try on my UZI also.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

About 500 rounds later (including 250 rounds one day), it's still working.  I have noticed the brightness knob seems looser than before.  Is this an indication it's about to fail?
View Quote
Scroll up, and do the loctite fix.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#20]
My $20 cheapo red dot sights lasted exactly 7 rounds on my 7.5" 556 AR pistol before the dot disappeared - front lens broke free and rotated.  This one: (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0163I6WYK?tag=vglnk-c102-20)
I replaced it with one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPWATOC?tag=vglnk-c102-20
I like the holographic sight - still ticking after about 500 rounds, although the highest brightness setting (#5) doesn't work on one of the colors any more.  Seems the switch is the weakest link, but they're still working.  I also have one on my 7.62x39 AR (several hundred rounds and works fine), and another on my side-cocker AR (yet unfired).
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just ordered one for a pellet gun that I need to dispatch of a pesky rodent.  What's the latest on how these things hold up on a platform less than a .22?
View Quote
Lasted about 75 rounds from a umarex octane before I had to do the mentioned repair.
My battery ring was very tight and the entire ordeal took just over an hour.
The only problem now is I could not get the battery ring screwed down tight enough.
I am 30º off so "1" is now off and "0" is brightest.

Cut the hell out of my thumb when a jewelers screwdriver under tension slipped.
Good enough for now but after taking this apart, I have a feeling that springer recoil will tear up these screws eventually.

Note: No need for a riser on a pellet springer with a pic/weaver rail.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lasted about 75 rounds from a umarex octane before I had to do the mentioned repair.
The only problem now is I could not get the battery ring screwed down tight enough.

Good enough for now but after taking this apart, I have a feeling that springer recoil will tear up these screws eventually.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had mine going strong for a few weeks now. Solid sight for the price. I'm very impressed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I been updating for awhile since I made this thread. Mine has taken beatings and is still going strong
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought one of these for my Ruger Charger a couple of months ago, tried it first on the AR and it held up just fine.  Perfect for the Ruger pistol on a 3/4" high mount.  I have it mounted so it isn't blocked by my LaserLyte red center-mass laser sight, which is mounted on top of the forward rail on the charger.  I have left the sight on for the past 30 days on medium setting, and so far it hasn't lost any brightness.  I was just curious how long the battery would last.  I'll have to wait longer to see. lol

Rick
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#25]
About a month since my earlier post, yesterday at the range I had fired about 60 rounds when the dot vanished and the brightness knob was extremely loose.  Finished up using back-up sights and performed the Loctite fix last night.  Took me about 30 minutes.  

Didn't get the resistor plate back to the original zero, so now '2' is 'Off'.  But the dot came back on.

Replaced the original battery, as the dot was more pink than red.  Look forward to taking it out again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Locktite repair lasted about another 70 rounds from the octane.
I used blue locktite and the rheostat ring tension screws (4) backed out like the original failure.
I red locktited them this time but I think I will relegate this site to a 10/22 now.
Springer air rifles are too hard on on these screws.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Messing with the dual color model on an airgun. It's barely daylight bright, though the film on the front seems different vs the red only model.
It gets the job done for critter control and I've been banging it around a bit in the yard plinking.

Also the Airsoft Inforce is surprisingly decent, I had it on a PCC for awhile. It's bright enough to light up my backyard, while cheap chiacom cree flash lights did a poor job.

We'll see how it holds up to an airgun. Decent proof of concept for a red dot on a pistol anyways.

Now I want to get a Vortex Venom for my G17

Stick with the red only for better brightness during the day. I noticed on a clear blue sky the green dot washes out a bit. Wouldn't recommend it for shooting trap (no idea if it would even hold up on a shotgun).

The red dot only model held up okay on an AR pistol. But damn it looks bulky compared to other micros.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I found this red dot on Field Sport's website.

I'm actually curious about it.

I wonder if it can beat a Bushnell TRS-25 for the price.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j3f8mbnykr00zk8a00004&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F1x30-Dot-Sight-Red-Green-Illuminated-With-Top-Iron-Sight-Quick-D%2F1075110942
http://www.rfssports.com/product.php?pid=964&xcSID=d7049e32707194df1350d6b3354160f7
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I killed my field sport red/green red dot.

I noticed I was shooting to the right after using a can of Co2.

When I went to adjust the windage the threaded part of the cap began to turn. I was able to unscrew the entire wind-age assembly.

Sad a BB Gun killed it, cannot recommend the red/green version.

Edit: The elevation assembly even came off with no effort.

Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

When I went to adjust the windage the threaded part of the cap began to turn. I was able to unscrew the entire wind-age assembly.

http://i.imgur.com/VAmZatc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PlYxINf.jpg
View Quote
that sucks. My red only is still going strong. Been on two 5.56 rifles, one 300blk rifle and a ak47.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
that sucks. My red only is still going strong. Been on two 5.56 rifles, one 300blk rifle and a ak47.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah most are saying the red only is the way to go
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
You do understand that airguns are extremely hard on all optics, right? They recoil in a different way than real rifles and most optics are not set up to handle them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You do understand that airguns are extremely hard on all optics, right? They recoil in a different way than real rifles and most optics are not set up to handle them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That only applies to Springers.    Recoil is in the wrong direction.

Co2 should have little or no recoil.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, its not like its a beast of an air pistol. Also there is no blowback.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked up a cheap Centerpoint red dot at Walmart for 60 bucks just to play with.  Stuck it on my AR, zero'd it in, and after 500 rounds it hasn't budged.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I tried the red/green version on an Ultimak AK mount - probably a bit rougher test than a typical AR since there's no riser in the mix and the mount that you attach the red dot to basically acts as a heat sink for the heat of the barrel.  Anyhow it was working fine while I was getting it sighted in.  I forgot my spotting scope so I would shoot a 3 round group, walk down to see where it was, come back and shoot another 3 round group.  I shot 3 groups of 3, and after the 3rd group I said "it's zeroed" I went back to shoot the 10th round, but no dot.  The brightness knob wasn't loose as others have posted the fix for.  Amazon will still accept it under return so I decided to swap it for a TRS25.  

I still might pick up one of the red only versions for a 22 AR SBR build I'm gathering parts for, but I'm not sure the red/green one is tough enough for an AK.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I tried the red/green version on an Ultimak AK mount - probably a bit rougher test than a typical AR since there's no riser in the mix and the mount that you attach the red dot to basically acts as a heat sink for the heat of the barrel.  Anyhow it was working fine while I was getting it sighted in.  I forgot my spotting scope so I would shoot a 3 round group, walk down to see where it was, come back and shoot another 3 round group.  I shot 3 groups of 3, and after the 3rd group I said "it's zeroed" I went back to shoot the 10th round, but no dot.  The brightness knob wasn't loose as others have posted the fix for.  Amazon will still accept it under return so I decided to swap it for a TRS25.  

I still might pick up one of the red only versions for a 22 AR SBR build I'm gathering parts for, but I'm not sure the red/green one is tough enough for an AK.
View Quote
Read some current reviews on the TRS25 before buying.  It sounds like the new ones have some issues.  One key to them is Bushnell printed in white rather than the beige color.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Any chance you can provide more info on how to get that ring loose?

The needle nose pliers I'm trying slip before I can get the ring to break free.  Thinking I might have better luck with snap ring pliers or something.

The switch also wants to move, so while I can hold it by hand, if you have any other advice on how to lock it into place, I'd appreciate it hearing it.

Edit to add: This is preemptive maintenance, the unit just arrived and figured I'd Loctite them up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's a couple of YouTube videos of a guy shooting and doing some mild torture testing of the small red dots. Looks pretty good.

1st test: https://youtu.be/C1Ej1unT0mQ

2nd test: https://youtu.be/HsGaGhVosDk
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here's a couple of YouTube videos of a guy shooting and doing some mild torture testing of the small red dots. Looks pretty good.

1st test: https://youtu.be/C1Ej1unT0mQ

2nd test: https://youtu.be/HsGaGhVosDk
View Quote
Don't know why the YouTube links don't work. Sorry. The guy's YouTube name is: 704 Tactical. He doesn't do any extreme abuse, probably nothing more than you might accidentally do. There are lots of other videos of folks reviewing these things too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Have had Field Sport red dot only on 10/22 for several months. Probably a few hundred rounds through it. Remains functional and accurate with crisp red dot. I have the equivalent red/grn multi-reticle reflex. The green dot is ok but the red has a "flare" at 4 o'clock. The remaining reticles of each color are acceptable @ 20.00.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#42]
UTG offset mount works great too. looks good too

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I ended up red loctiting the turrets back into the red dot. Not sure if I lost the nitrogen purge. But heck on it lol.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm letting my dad use my TRS25 on his Ruger MkIII, I think I'll order one of these and swap them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:43:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Cheap red dots are the best.

They last almost a whole hour on a single set of batteries!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#46]
I too have a red only field sport on a budget rifle and have had no issues with it so far. It zero'd easily and has held. Dot is crisp and plenty bright for a sunny day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
These dots last much longer than that
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Says the person that has never owned one of these!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yep perfect co witness
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update three. Another 100 rounds of 300blackouy and the $9.99 utg mount keeps coming lose every 20 rounds or so. But the Allen screw on the optic is still going strong
With the utg mount, do you get an absolute cowitness?
Yep perfect co witness
I'm confused on which UTG mount you are referring to.

Any idea on the height of the riser?

The Amazon page recommends 3. One is 1" the other is 0.83" and I don't see a height listed on the slim mount.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The Amazon page recommends 3. One is 1" the other is 0.83" and I don't see a height listed on the slim mount.

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update three. Another 100 rounds of 300blackouy and the $9.99 utg mount keeps coming lose every 20 rounds or so. But the Allen screw on the optic is still going strong
With the utg mount, do you get an absolute cowitness?
Yep perfect co witness

Thanks.
.83 is  absolute co witness

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TX2BD4?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top