BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#1]
blah blah blah, Surefire sucks, Streamlight sucks. OK. Got it.  Has anybody actually received one of the new Streamlight X models?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
blah blah blah, Surefire sucks, Streamlight sucks. OK. Got it.  Has anybody actually received one of the new Streamlight X models?
View Quote
I haven’t got it yet (they just started shipping this week) but I have a 2L-X inbound.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
HK94dude has a point.

I was wanting to outfit all my rifles with a torch. Surefire pulls on the hemorrhoids, so I tried to retreat for the sake of 2/1 ratio. So I bought a couple Streamlight units.
My RM-1 & RM-2 arrive, and I honestly tried to like them. I didn't, but I mounted the RM-1 for the sake of trying too. It was removed and put back in the box. Plain rice w/soy sauce.
You get what you pay for. They're JUNK, and it screams it. Both of mine will hit the EE soonish.

Is the HL-X a derivative of the same flavor? Someone let us know. Tear one down and do a review.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
interested in knowing. anyone have some insight on the HLX?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I got an HL-X last week.  Seems like a nice light for the money.  I haven't fired my rifle with it yet though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:47:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got an HL-X last week.  Seems like a nice light for the money.  I haven't fired my rifle with it yet though.
View Quote
Did they fix the flickering issues you think? I know you haven't fired it yet, but how's the internal springing?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Got the light only coming from bright guy
$78.50 shipped
http://www.brightguy.com/Streamlight/Streamlight+ProTac+HL-X+Flashlight
Linked to paypal for added protection
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
$125 at Botach eBay store

I have ordered dozens of items from them without issue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Stupid tinypic flipping pics on me

Thats beta

Gets nice n hot when lit.
No flickering

Damn i hurt my Iz
Lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stupid tinypic flipping pics on me
http://i64.tinypic.com/152ck9e.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/i8scKD9.jpg
Thats beta
http://i.imgur.com/h5aHweI.jpg
Gets nice n hot when lit.
No flickering
http://i.imgur.com/VnEKoae.jpg
Damn i hurt my Iz
Lol
View Quote
What did you use to test flickering? What caliber weapon did you fire it on, etc?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What did you use to test flickering? What caliber weapon did you fire it on, etc?
View Quote
Oh i was under the impression it occurred as recieved out the box
I know it worked great inspecting rebar at 3am this morning
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want one.  

Do these use the same mounting platform as Scout lights?  For if I already have a Scout light mount?
View Quote
Yes they have the same screw pattern as scouts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
HK94dude has a point.

I was wanting to outfit all my rifles with a torch. Surefire pulls on the hemorrhoids, so I tried to retreat for the sake of 2/1 ratio. So I bought a couple Streamlight units.
My RM-1 & RM-2 arrive, and I honestly tried to like them. I didn't, but I mounted the RM-1 for the sake of trying too. It was removed and put back in the box. Plain rice w/soy sauce.
You get what you pay for. They're JUNK, and it screams it. Both of mine will hit the EE soonish.

Is the HL-X a derivative of the same flavor? Someone let us know. Tear one down and do a review.
View Quote
What categorizes the light as "junk?"
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK94dude has a point.

Also curious
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Also curious
View Quote
I don't think they are "junk", but this is why I prefer Surefire:

Coated electronics/dipped circuits vs. bare wiring.
Type IIIa vs. IIa anodizing.
Better soldering, thicker wires, etc.
Springs at both end of the battery stack prevent flickering under recoil.

The Streamlight isn't a bad light, it's just not a Surefire in the quality department, and it shows both "in the hand", as well as function.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Send an IM - sju
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I assume you are not a fan of light bulbs in your home then right? Since they are often over 1000 lumens? A 75 watt bulb is 1100 lumens. A 60 watt bulb is 800 lumens. We all know that two 60 watt bulbs inside the same room causes irreparable eye damage.
View Quote
Haha. This is great!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Haha. This is great!
View Quote
It's also a but of a twisting of things. The lumens may be significant from the bulbs, but the lux is very low, compared to even a 200 lumen wml.

This would be like saying "since you can bench 225x10, you can bench 2250x1. Not so much.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 2 of the Protac HL-X lights, with pressure switches mounted in Cloud Defensive light control systems. I've fired approx 600rds between both guns. Maybe 30-40 rds on each with the light on. I haven't experienced any issues with flickering etc.

Admittedly not very scientific.

-Chris
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#21]
With all the bitching months back when nobody actually had one of these, being six or so months after release, does anyone have an update or report to offer?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With all the bitching months back when nobody actually had one of these, being six or so months after release, does anyone have an update or report to offer?
View Quote
I'm interested as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Got this light today.  Compared it to the Elzetta AVS head that I've been running for a while.  I have no doubts the Elzetta is a much tougher light but the HLX has much brighter beam with noticeably more throw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Then don't point it at the wall. Anyone utilizing proper technique will not blind themselves.
View Quote
Correct. Give me a million lumens.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been using HL-X handheld and HL-X rail mount for a while now. The beam is IMO ideal. It has great throw, great spill, and is just inside the uncomfortable and painful threshold when you have misapplied the light. While a tiny bit more range would be nice, it is great as is. While better lux than my M600U and X300U and EB2 it does not seem as high as the listed spec. More of that over estimation by Streamlight and underestimate by Surefire. It's not the build quality of Surefire, but seems adequate. Finish is holding up.

The negative is the size and bulk. It's 50% heavier than a Scout with enough tube size and head size that with a Arisaka Keymod offset mount and Magpul MBUS it can only fit in one position and one location or something gets in the way of something else.  That made it require a longer barrel after the end of the rail. You need 2-3" or more past rail or the light will get the crap blasted out of it. A fellow officer has one on his 11.5" with 10" rail and I will be intetested to see hiw it holds up there. For me I had to mount on a 13" KMR Alpha with 16" DD  lightweight CHF barrel on my budget rifle build to not have the head over a flash hider. It is quite heavy and noticable out there with the added weight on a semi light gun. It is right on the threshold of wishimg it had a QD mount to remove it sometimes but not enough to want the extra weight of a QD mount or take the thought seriously.

I have had no flickering or anything unusual. No drain or weird issues. If it were not so big and heavy it would be the perfect light. Alas, I can only hope the next Gen of Surefire Scout will have the same beam profile and brightness. The color is a little on the blue side to get max lumens, but not disagreeable in tint. I have not used the tape switch, other officer is not using it either.

Batteries have been 3400 and 3500 Keeppower. Best 18650 for the money IMO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have been using HL-X handheld and HL-X rail mount for a while now. The beam is IMO ideal. It has great throw, great spill, and is just inside the uncomfortable and painful threshold when you have misapplied the light. While a tiny bit more range would be nice, it is great as is. While better lux than my M600U and X300U and EB2 it does not seem as high as the listed spec. More of that over estimation by Streamlight and underestimate by Surefire. It's not the build quality of Surefire, but seems adequate. Finish is holding up.

The negative is the size and bulk. It's 50% heavier than a Scout with enough tube size and head size that with a Arisaka Keymod offset mount and Magpul MBUS it can only fit in one position and one location or something gets in the way of something else.  That made it require a longer barrel after the end of the rail. You need 2-3" or more past rail or the light will get the crap blasted out of it. A fellow officer has one on his 11.5" with 10" rail and I will be intetested to see hiw it holds up there. For me I had to mount on a 13" KMR Alpha with 16" DD  lightweight CHF barrel on my budget rifle build to not have the head over a flash hider. It is quite heavy and noticable out there with the added weight on a semi light gun. It is right on the threshold of wishimg it had a QD mount to remove it sometimes but not enough to want the extra weight of a QD mount or take the thought seriously.

I have had no flickering or anything unusual. No drain or weird issues. If it were not so big and heavy it would be the perfect light. Alas, I can only hope the next Gen of Surefire Scout will have the same beam profile and brightness. The color is a little on the blue side to get max lumens, but not disagreeable in tint. I have not used the tape switch, other officer is not using it either.

Batteries have been 3400 and 3500 Keeppower. Best 18650 for the money IMO.
View Quote
Good review, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I personally have not had good luck with the HL-X. I purchased two of them, both of them I sent back to Streamlight because of functioning issues.

It's been my experience so far that they aren't up to snuff to handle the concussion from being mounted near the muzzle of the weapon. On the two lights I sent in for repair, AND the two lights I received back as replacements I've experienced the same issue. On all the lights I've function checked them at the beginning of a range session, then sometime after firing a few magazines I've function checked again only to find the lights would not turn on. It takes a bump with the palm of my hand or fiddling with the tail cap to get them to turn back on.  

The muzzle devices the lights were near were a SilencerCo ASR flash hider and a BCM mod 1 comp.

I will say Streamlight has great customer service. I received the two replacement lights in roughly a week they received the lights sent in for repair.

Wish I could say I can trust these lights in a defensive situation, but I can't.

Anyone else have similar issues?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:01:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I personally have not had good luck with the HL-X. I purchased two of them, both of them I sent back to Streamlight because of functioning issues.

It's been my experience so far that they aren't up to snuff to handle the concussion from being mounted near the muzzle of the weapon. On the two lights I sent in for repair, AND the two lights I received back as replacements I've experienced the same issue. On all the lights I've function checked them at the beginning of a range session, then sometime after firing a few magazines I've function checked again only to find the lights would not turn on. It takes a bump with the palm of my hand or fiddling with the tail cap to get them to turn back on.  

The muzzle devices the lights were near were a SilencerCo ASR flash hider and a BCM mod 1 comp.

I will say Streamlight has great customer service. I received the two replacement lights in roughly a week they received the lights sent in for repair.

Wish I could say I can trust these lights in a defensive situation, but I can't.

Anyone else have similar issues?
View Quote
I have experienced the same thing with my HL-X.  After about one 30rd mag the light would flicker and then became substantially worse, to the point where after a shot the light would turn itself off and would not turn back on for several minutes, even after tapping or slapping the light.
Streamlight does have very good C.S. as the light was replaced with a new one.
However, after shooting with the light on yesterday and today the same thing has occurred and this one will have to be sent back as well.  
I have the other 2 pro tac lights and have not experience any problems with them.  I am going to call C.S. this morning and see if they will exchange the light for the 625 lumen model.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump. Anybody else? Just got mine but haven't taken it to the range yet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:24:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, I'm just passionate about directing consensus opinion in the right direction and cutting down faulty, unsound, or misguided ideas when I see them, lest people reading to gain knowledge on the subject think those concepts are good and valid.

It's not a personal preference thing, it's a right or wrong thing. It's like people who though an Aimpoint on a carbine was an inferior choice on this forum in 1990s, when ARFCOM was first becoming ARFCOM and shifting from a discussion board to a website. Those people were wrong, period. While it is common knowledge now, it was not always so. Other misguided ideas I have been passionate about stopping included.

Free float rails are inferior to standard M4 heat shielded handguards.
A two stage trigger, like a Geissele SSA, is inferior to a milspec trigger and more prone to failure.
A flashight on a weapon is a bad idea, because you should rely on your night adapted vision.
If your rifle is too heavy, you should lift more weights.
Anything outside the Colt TDP in an AR is inferior.
Polymer magazines are always inferior to USGI magazines.
Increased magnification does not allow you to shoot with more precision and accuracy.

Nowdays, most of these are DUH concepts but it was not always so. Just like now people think 1000 lumens is too much indoors. There are tons of work arounds, such as, using indirect light to illuminate, not looking directly at your hot spot, and not shining your light into mirrors or white walls for no reason. If 1000 lumens bothers you, it's a software issue, not a hardware issue. And 65 lumens was never enough light indoors.

The concept of sub 1000 lumen lights being better indoors is an inherently wrong concept that should be countered at every turn... like people who espouse an Aimpoint should not go on a rifle because it is battery operated. Sure, you can pull a battery out of the Aimpoint and demonstrate use of BUIS through a dead Aimpont to be inferior to straight irons.  Sure, you can shine a bright light into a white wall, leave it on, and stare at it to blind yourself. Those ideas still ignore the fact that an Aimpoint and 1000 lumen light usually work, don't blind you, and allow you to be more effective the majority of the time and certain techniques and procedures minimize the potential negatives to almost zero.

I will admit I had a "piston superior to DI" phase that was wrong... people who vehemently told me I was wrong eventually straightened me out. That's why this place exists.
View Quote
Staunchly agree with all of this.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Back on topic, I just got the 1000 lumen model hL-x. Are people still having flickering problems with these after some recoil?

Thinking of selling it and just getting an Arisaka 600
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Back on topic, I just got the 1000 lumen model hL-x. Are people still having flickering problems with these after some recoil?

Thinking of selling it and just getting an Arisaka 600
View Quote
I had mine out 3 times. No flickering issues.i was also using a 18650 rechargeable battery.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I had mine out 3 times. No flickering issues.i was also using a 18650 rechargeable battery.
View Quote
Between that and the fact that there are no leads to other tape switches I sold it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Lots of problems with a batch of HL-X's that we are running on 10.3/11.5/16 inch rifles.  Have maybe 15-20 in service.

Worst case was one I mounted straight out of the box, it worked one minute, failed when I doubled checked five minutes later.  Never fired a round, battery swap did no good.

Lots of other ones are going out under recoil or seem to need the battery case cap twisted super tight or to just the right spot.

All of ours are using the 123's.

Worst performance from Streamlight weapon lights I have ever seen.
TLR-1's of all flavors have held up fine.
ProTac Rail Mount 2's seem fine

Not sure what the deal is with the HL-X but a call to Streamlight is on my list to do before we buy any more lights....
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Then don't point it at the wall. Anyone utilizing proper technique will not blind themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find a 500 lumen Surefire Fury is way too bright when shined up against a white wall.
Right, because clearing rooms and hallways that are filled with walls is for suckers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lots of problems with a batch of HL-X's that we are running on 10.3/11.5/16 inch rifles.  Have maybe 15-20 in service.

Worst case was one I mounted straight out of the box, it worked one minute, failed when I doubled checked five minutes later.  Never fired a round, battery swap did no good.

Lots of other ones are going out under recoil or seem to need the battery case cap twisted super tight or to just the right spot.

Not sure what the deal is with the HL-X but a call to Streamlight is on my list to do before we buy any more lights....
View Quote
Man that’s a shame hope they get this straightened out
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Right, because clearing rooms and hallways that are filled with walls is for suckers.
View Quote
That why he said use the proper technique.

Some of you just need to stop. Anyone who knows anything wants more lumens. Go look at what the bast majority of SME’s say. Some of them even admit they were stuck in the “but it’ll blind me....walls...huuurrr” line of thinking then they woke up.

And if your answer is something along the lines of “I do this every day” then you do it wrong and need to be retrained.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glad I sold mine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is interesting. I'm curious what Streamlight has to say about it. From my understanding these are made in China, not that it is a big deal but I wonder if CQ slipped and Streamlight didn't realize it. I have a good friend in manufacturing who works with multiple Chinese factories. He says they can make anything to any spec or standard you require but you must have a final QC set up state side that the final product goes through because they will deliver a few batches exactly to spec then inevitably they will cut corners on another batch and try to slip it past QC to make a little extra on the deal. Not saying that is the case here but it is something I always think about when I hear things like what you discribe.

I currently have two of these lights on rifles for testing. One rifle is my go to training rifle and it gets used hard. I have ran this rifle through dozens of courses over the years, it just got rebuilt about six months ago with a new barrel, bolt, rail, sights and an MRO. It had an older Surefire scout on it but I decided to try this new Streamlight. I did trash the factory mount. It is on an HSP thorntail offset mount. So far I have a little over 3K rounds through it. The light has been in the mud, rail and snow. It hasn't missed a beat yet. No flickering, the switch has worked perfect. The other light that is newer is obviously from another batch. It is currently on a basic AR that doesn't see much action. I am going to switch the old light on my goto rifle for the new one and test it hard as well. For me, the one light fictions well. I would trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Some of you just need to stop. Anyone who knows anything wants more lumens. Go look at what the bast majority of SME’s say. Some of them even admit they were stuck in the “but it’ll blind me....walls...huuurrr” line of thinking then they woke up.

And if your answer is something along the lines of “I do this every day” then you do it wrong and need to be retrained.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you and what exactly is your background again? Do you "do this every day?"
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#41]
So now I'm stumped. I'm new to AR's and weapon lights. I had decided I do want to add a light and had been researching the topic with I found the HL-X.  I was all set to purchase when I ran into the end of this thread.  Now what? Is this just a bad batch or isolated cases being reported.  This thread kinda died with no updates the last month. Do I continue to wait for additional reports or go for the 600 lumen Streamlight Protac 2?  I do like the slightly more compact size, but does it make sense to go with that model with the Hl-X just $10 more for double the lumes?    I've looked for a  review comparing the brightness of  Protac 2 to that of the surefire 600 scout but haven't found much.  Any ideas there?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So now I'm stumped. I'm new to AR's and weapon lights. I had decided I do want to add a light and had been researching the topic with I found the HL-X.  I was all set to purchase when I ran into the end of this thread.  Now what? Is this just a bad batch or isolated cases being reported.  This thread kinda died with no updates the last month. Do I continue to wait for additional reports or go for the 600 lumen Streamlight Protac 2?  I do like the slightly more compact size, but does it make sense to go with that model with the Hl-X just $10 more for double the lumes?    I've looked for a  review comparing the brightness of  Protac 2 to that of the surefire 600 scout but haven't found much.  Any ideas there?
View Quote
I'd buy the Surefire or Arisaka if you're more about quality, and buy the HL-X if you're not too concerned with quality and "good enough" is your mantra.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I do like "bang for the buck" rather than cheap, or the best at any cost. THats why I have decide on the HL-X.  I'm just concerned about the last few posts in this thread.  I don't want to buy out of a bad batch if there even is one?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine has been fine for several sets of batteries now.  I"m not a tier 1 tactical ninja frogman, but it's killed a lot of wabbits bouncing down dirt roads at night.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm going to go ahead and order tonight, and it will be the stream light.  I'm still debating between the Protac 2 and the HL-X.  The extra output is appreciated but man the HL-X looks huge.  ( is it really as big as it looks in the pics? I may be wiling to fore go the extra lumes and just go with the Protac 2 just for the smaller size. The rifle will only be used for HD and the range,  Though I do have a 1 acre lot and I may need to occasionally  sweep a light across it to access possible outside disturbances......
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Any further word on the flickering under recoil issue?  Looking at possibly picking up an hlx rail mount for either a shotgun or an ar.

I did buy an hlx handheld in November with the intention of mounting on an ar but ended up returning it. Upon receiving it I wasn't thrilled with the build quality, head size and the fact it needed a button top 18650 battery.  I have been running flat top 18650 batteries in my fenix lights, tk15 and pd35.

Comparing the hlx to my fenix lights the build quality just didn't seem on par for good budget lights. The tail switch had a very cheap feel to it.  The fenix lights also have springs at both ends of the battery compartment. This may be why the hlx has suffered from recoil induced flicker, it has a spring at the tail cap only.

Why am I looking at the hlx again then? Well, the warranty and the fact it comes with remote switch and rail mount. I did buy a fenix pd35tac and stuck it on an ar in an elzetta mount and added a fenix remote switch.  The fenix remote switch is not optimal with its curly Q wire in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I got an HLX with the Cloud Defense LCS-MK2 for Christmas, it's only been on my rifle for like 250 rounds so I can't speak to long term reliability but I like the light, it's not that girthy honestly for the lumens. No flickering issues but time will tell. It's defiantly noticable that the light is not the same quality as Surefire, but if the light is reliable I could care less (I also own 4 other Streamlight products and all have been flawless). My main gripe right now is that the button for constant output on the pressure switch requires almost no pressure to temporarily activate the light. I've flashed the light a couple times using it with gloves in the cold with barely any pressure on the button.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Mines been fine.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top