User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 4:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought a few SS C Products magazines at a gun show, just to try them out.  They're lighter than the English SA80 mags, and the finish seems more rust resistant, but they feel kinda flimsy even compared to aluminum D&H mags.

I have some C-Products stainless and aluminum mags I agree the stainless ones feel flimsy compared to all my aluminum ones.

As to how they would actually hold up compared to the aluminum ones I have no idea.

Link Posted: 11/26/2009 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did the little Chevy pickup in the Magpul vid crush the USGI mag but the big cargo truck in this test didn't???

Is the weight of the big ass military truck spread out over a larger area than the weight of the Chevy?  I honestly don't know the answer, but somebody might.  I can see how the contact patch of the tire, air pressure in the tire, and weight distribution of the truck could all be factors in crushing the mag.

Good points.  Kinda like the guys that lay down on a bed of nails and the weight is spread out..  Maybe someone oughta run them over with a motorcycle.....What about a steam roller???
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lancer mags for $10 (at recent gun show) are pure, unadulterated win.

<––––––––––- owns Pmags, Fusils, USGI, etc etc etc

Yup and those ones had the later black follower too
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dave, any chance you can post the full article since it's not longer on the news stands? All the issues around here are Dec 7

It should be going up on IMO's website Tacticalgunfan.com in the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice to see my personal favorite "win" the test - I've always thought the Lancer mags were underrated, but I do use Magpul products as much as possible mostly because of their loyalty and generosity to our people in the military,  and secondly, because they make some good stuff.

Also,  I agree with the quality of Mr. Fortier's work in the industry.  His articles are refreshing and he lacks the "attitude" of many of the other writers.  I am so tired of Kokalis and his repetitive writing - try to find any article on any AK variant that doesn't include a line that goes something like "I have personally witnessed the wooden handguards burst into flames on several occassions in battle".....it gets a little tiring.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice to see my personal favorite "win" the test - I've always thought the Lancer mags were underrated, but I do use Magpul products as much as possible mostly because of their loyalty and generosity to our people in the military,  and secondly, because they make some good stuff.

Also,  I agree with the quality of Mr. Fortier's work in the industry.  His articles are refreshing and he lacks the "attitude" of many of the other writers.  I am so tired of Kokalis and his repetitive writing - try to find any article on any AK variant that doesn't include a line that goes something like "I have personally witnessed the wooden handguards burst into flames on several occassions in battle".....it gets a little tiring.

Where has Kokalas ever been in combat??
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off the top of my head

Vietnam
El Salvador
Balkans
Afghanistan
South Africa

and probably a few other places......

Link Posted: 11/28/2009 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off the top of my head

Afghanistan

When was he in Afghanistan?? US military???  Rank??, MOS???
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, and Good enough for government work....
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off the top of my head

Afghanistan

When was he in Afghanistan?? US military???  Rank??, MOS???

He made numerous trips to Afghanistan in the 1980s during the Soviet occupation
gathering intel on, examples of, never seen before Soviet arms and equipment.
This was long after he left the US Army, I suspect he is quite a bit older than most
realize.

He is one of the few to have fought the Soviets and has a paybook taken off a
Russian soldier he killed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Mr. Fortier, I picked up that issue of SGN at Ft. Polk a few weeks ago. Very interesting. I also noticed after a while your articles are some of the only ones that don't read like your typical ARFCOMer masturbating to the latest free gun that was sent their way.

Keep up the good work sir.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#12]
You should have seen some mags after my M113 ran over some idiot's LBE that had fallen off a M151 that was ahead of us as we were coming back to the motor pool.  El Squisho.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You should have seen some mags after my M113 ran over some idiot's LBE that had fallen off a M151 that was ahead of us as we were coming back to the motor pool.  El Squisho.  

M113>M35A2  

I wouldn't mind having one of those or a M151A1 kicking around...
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mr. Fortier, I picked up that issue of SGN at Ft. Polk a few weeks ago. Very interesting. I also noticed after a while your articles are some of the only ones that don't read like your typical ARFCOMer masturbating to the latest free gun that was sent their way.

Keep up the good work sir.

THANKS!  appreciate it!
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have liked to see H&K 30s tested alongside the others as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I would have liked to see H&K 30s tested alongside the others as well.

I just double checked my hydraulic press videos...to confirm what I remembered

The HK mags do not "spring back into place" like other steel mags. When they are bent, they are bent. This is why they have a poor reputation for body durability. They are made of different materials that are apparently poorly suited for the task.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought that issue of SGN only because of that article.  Money well spent and relatively unbiased.  For me, the only tests I was impressed with was the drop test from the bed of the deuce and a half and the fact that some mags just don't seem to drop free from a milspec mag well.  Good info.  Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Id like the pics of H&K mags destroyed as you say..in any event a welded steel body is aparently stronger than polymer.I havent heard any poor reports on durability of the H&K mags please post some proof of this.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Id like the pics of H&K mags destroyed as you say..in any event a welded steel body is aparently stronger than polymer.I havent heard any poor reports on durability of the H&K mags please post some proof of this.

If you don't believe me, load up one of your HK mags with 30 rounds and drop it on the feedlips from a height of 5-6ft. You might not even need to load it to deform the feedlips. If I'm right, it'll deform, and you'll be out a magazine. If you're right, it'll be fine, and you'll be out nothing, PLUS you get to prove me wrong. If it survives one drop (which I doubt) then try 2 drops. I'll then post a video of ARC mags surviving half a dozen drops from that height. In sub zero temperatures.
I say this having been in possession of 13 HK mags, I now have 1 that would work if the mag wasn't such a turd. That is, the body is fine. The other 12 have been destroyed in one way or another. It's not hard.
This was with 3000lbs. PMags and ARC mags took 8000lbs. All were unloaded at the time.

As for steel vs polymer, there are issues with the SN test that will hopefully be addressed.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Gunwritr -

I first started reading your articles when I noticed you were in Maine.  I still read them because they are usually informative, sometimes entertaining, and unbiased.  keep it up!
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
David M. Fortier at your service.

Holy crap!  I didn't realize you were an ARFCOMmer.  I've been reading your SGN articles for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Is the article on tacticalgunfan.com, yet?  I can't find it there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top